Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marilyn And Arthur......
Everlasting Star Community > The experts' lounge > Marilyn Trivia
Lauren Michele
I thought this question would only receive a couple of answers so i chose this place to ask my question and not the Discussion Topic.

Is it true that Arthur left Marilyn, wanted to end the marriage before Marilyn? Also, did Marilyn find Arthur's journal in which she read that Arthur wrote something demeaning about Marilyn in it?

Thank you!
Tara
1. Marilyn asked him to leave their Los Angeles hotel suite after filming on The Misfits ended, but she had already moved out of their Reno hotel suite a few weeks before. I would say it was a mutual decision to split up.

2. Yes, Marilyn told the Strasbergs that she had read Arthur's journal in England during filming of TPATSG, just weeks after they married. He had left it open on his desk. The exact details are unclear, as no one but Marilyn saw it. So whatever we hear about it is second or third-hand.

She told the Strasbergs that he was disappointed in her, that he thought she was an angel but she was just like his first wife. Arthur later said that he was not writing about Marilyn, he was making notes for a character in a play. But one thing's for sure - Marilyn did take it personally, and it hurt her deeply. After they divorced, Marilyn told her sister Berniece about the incident and said it had hurt their marriage.
Lauren Michele
Thank you Tara. I don't know where i was reading exactly. I know it was on the board here and there was a discussion somewhere or an article that Arthur walked right out on her. I felt so bad for her. I just wanted to make sure if it were true.
Lauren Michele
They looked so in love on camera in photos, it's hard to believe that their marriage ended so soon. But we don't know what goes on behind closed doors.

If Arthur did state that Marilyn reminded him of his first wife then why did he marry her? Did he think he could change her or I wonder if she changed during the course of their marriage.

I am wondering if anyone knows what kind of man Arthur was like to be married to?
Tara
Marilyn's relationship with Arthur was one of the most important in her short life, and one of the most complicated too. To be fair to Arthur, I don't think he knew what he was getting into at first. Although he was a successful writer, he still led a fairly ordinary life until he met Marilyn. He had only been on TV once before. Also, I don't think he was prepared to deal with the demands of her career, and having to share his wife with the Strasbergs, the Greenes etc. So I think The Prince And The Showgirl was a shocking experience for him, which is why he reacted so badly.

After that, things seemed to calm down again. I think they had some real love and happiness in the first half of their marriage. But things seemed to go wrong after Marilyn suffered repeated miscarriages. She became increasingly depressed and dependent on drink and drugs. Arthur tried very hard to help her, I do believe that. But maybe he wasn't the right man to do it, or perhaps Marilyn didn't want to be helped at that time. By 1959, there seemed to be serious problems in the marriage. Then Marilyn had a disappointing affair with Yves Montand, and by this time her relationship with Arthur was all but over. Of course they were committed to The Misfits which was a horrendous experience for both of them.

Arthur was a reserved man, who couldn't express his feelings very well, except perhaps in writing. At the start of their marriage, Marilyn seemed to bring Arthur out of himself. Friends remarked on how he had never seemed more in love, and how much he cared for her. But I can imagine that his somewhat detached nature may have led to misunderstandings between him and Marilyn. She needed a lot of reassurance and affection, and perhaps when he was in one of his introspective moods, she felt have felt lonely and isolated. So I think that while Arthur and Marilyn did love each other, there were strong differences in their emotional makeup which ultimately drove them apart.
Lauren Michele
Tara, thank you. I have a very good picture of how their marriage was due to your writing. It makes alot of sense to me. Marilyn I think needed a father figure and she didn't find that in Arthur. Maybe she resented him for that.
zarabell
Did arthur ever write about marilyn in any book ,or talk about her in any interviews ?
Tara
Yes, Arthur wrote about Marilyn in his autobiography, Timebends. And he sometimes discussed her in interviews. There is also a character in his play, After The Fall, who appears to be based on Marilyn though he denied this. Before he died, he wrote a play inspired by the filming of The Misfits, called Finishing The Picture.
zarabell
QUOTE(Tara @ Dec 14 2006, 12:20 PM) [snapback]121938[/snapback]
Yes, Arthur wrote about Marilyn in his autobiography, Timebends. And he sometimes discussed her in interviews. There is also a character in his play, After The Fall, who appears to be based on Marilyn though he denied this. Before he died, he wrote a play inspired by the filming of The Misfits, called Finishing The Picture.

ahh thankyou ,i might read his autobiography
princess_sparkle
what was the age difference between them?
Tara
Just under 11 years.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.