Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: John Gilmore: Inside Marilyn Monroe. A Memoir
Everlasting Star Community > Discussions > The Book Club
Pages: 1, 2
Paju
John Gilmore, who has written many crime and Hollywood related books such as Severed: The True Story Of The Black Dahlia Murder and L.A. Despair: A Landscape of Crimes & Bad Times is writing a book about Marilyn Monroe. He apparently has known/knows a lot of celebrities and has interviewed them for his book. He also was acquantained with Marilyn herself.
Here's an excerpt of the book on his website: http://www.johngilmore.com/Celebrities/marilyn_monroe.html
Tara
This is interesting. There was an interview with Gilmore on Melinda's last podcast. He did meet Marilyn a few times and his memories are nice.
thegirl
QUOTE(Paju @ Sep 7 2006, 03:46 AM) [snapback]114236[/snapback]
John Gilmore, who has written many crime and Hollywood related books such as Severed: The True Story Of The Black Dahlia Murder and L.A. Despair: A Landscape of Crimes & Bad Times is writing a book about Marilyn Monroe. He apparently has known/knows a lot of celebrities and has interviewed them for his book. He also was acquantained with Marilyn herself.
Here's an excerpt of the book on his website: http://www.johngilmore.com/Celebrities/marilyn_monroe.html

Thanks for the link! Wonderful excerpt! I guess it's time for me to put my wish list together!
2Twinkle
Let me fill in a small piece of the puzzle for Mr.Gilmore and anyone else that might care.

The webpage begins with a quote about Marilyn from Sammy Davis Jr.
It seems that Mr.Gilmore respects Sammy Davis and trusts what he has to say.

Later on, this extraordinarily over-the-top paragraph can be found:

"..However, undaunted are the so-called journalists and other top-dollar hacksaw reporters, biographers and writers shoving every conceivable conspiracy theory into the media like Japanese subway guards packing a car way past the gills. Each year the tall-tales arrive from every scribe-like crackpot on the planet, the culture fanatic, the sociologists and arm-chair psychologists, stewing and swilling the fictional fantasies. The “respected ones,” like Anthony Summers, Gloria Steinem, Donald Wolfe and a clan of others have been limping the lying Slatzer and other fabulists under their arms as totems of truth in selling (and “laughing to the bank") the fictional half-truths, exaggerations, nothing-but-bullshit ideas and sneaky innuendos for a gullible, scandal-hungry public. The tales of conspiracy and cover-ups, of “UFO’s and Marilyn” have wormed their way into the melee, the flames stay fanned by checkbook journalists like Donald Wolfe who in fact described himself to me as “a nutcase,” and who in his fabrications thrives on crucifying-in-death legendary women of celebrity like Marilyn — and like the tragic Hollywood murder victim, Elizabeth Short, known as the Black Dahlia..."

"The tales of conspiracy and cover-ups, of "UFO's and Marilyn" have wormed their way into the melee, the flames stay fanned by checkbook journalists like.... (etc.)..."

Well, you say Mr.Gilmore there are "tales of 'UFOs and Marilyn'"? Where exactly are these tales? There is a CIA document that is open to serious questioning. Have you investigated it in any way? It is a loaded prejudiced mind that describes this document as having "wormed" its way into a "melee." And you surround the phrase "UFOs and Marilyn" with a whole load more of such sound and fury. Your paragraph, itself, is quite a melee.

The truth is - and you probably won't like to learn of this - that Sammy Davis Jr., the guy you trusted to comment reasonably about Marilyn, did, himself publically reveal that he had sighted flying saucers on more than one occasion. Here is the complete article from Timothy Green Beckley's book 'UFOs Among The Stars':

There was a secret side to the late Sammy Davis, Jr. that only his best friends probably knew about.

For in addition to singing, dancing and acting, the late "Sandman" held a lively belief in UFOs - having made four observations that were "positively out of this world."

"I was never afraid of aliens or whatever it is that pilots these UFOs," Sammy confessed, admitting that he had seen a number of times what were often referred to in those "early" days as flying saucers.

"My most impressive sighting was just outside of Palm Springs, California. There were a lot of sightings around 1952-53 and I wasn't to be left out."

Sammy says that he was with a group when they spotted the discs as they literally "floated overhead." He was amazed at how they could accelerate from a dead stop to almost fantastic speeds. "First they would stand still and then they would take off and stop again, before finally shooting away again in a flash."

Though I wish I could have been in the same room with Sammy as he told his story, I had to be content to carry on a long distance telephone conversation, while he was performing in his favourite city, Las Vegas. Drummer Buddy Rich had arranged the interview, after discovering that my interest in UFOs was not just a "passing fancy."

"Another time," Sammy continued on, "I had just appeared on stage in the Boston area and was driving back to the hotel where I was staying with some members of my band, when we caught sight of something bewildering just up ahead."

From the description that Sammy gave me, it sounded like he had witnessed a typical dome-shaped UFO. "I know from reading books since then that others have seen craft like this. It was immense, and glowed brilliantly from the lights that surrounded it. Actually, the object was so bright that I had a hard time keeping my eyes on it."

Sammy says he and his friends watched in awe as the object hovered quite close. "Some of the guys with me were afraid that the object was going to come after us, but I didn't have any such fear, as I felt quite strongly that if they wanted to harm the human race, they could have done so a long while ago."

Over the years before his passing, Sammy met with other celebrities who shared his interest in the topic, and he says that he even met with an astronomer associated with the Air Force investigation of UFOs. Probably he was referring to Dr. J. Allen Hynek, who worked with the now-defunct Project Blue Book.

Sammy Davis Jr. never told me just what his best friend, the "Chairman of the Board," Frank Sinatra, thought of his interest in the strange goings on in our skies.

From a newspaper column, August 6th 1972:

Tara
Information updated, see next post.
Tara
There is a page with book info on Gilmore's website, including the cover:

http://www.johngilmore.com/Books/monroe_memoir.html
Paju
At one point they had the release date as Dec 20th, 2006 but it seems to have been postponed to next spring, May 1st 2007 according to Amazon.com to be exact.
Tara
Apparently Amazon got it wrong,and have since amended it. That's why I deleted a post. I found out that Mr Gilmore is still working on the book and it will be out in May. Although I think you can pre-order on Amazon now. bye1.gif

http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist...9299724-3896058
mmcollector
I chatted with John at the Marilyn Remembered holiday party and he let me know he's still working on it - and yes, it should be out this year. He said it can be pre-ordered on Amazon. It was great to chat with him. He's a very interesting man.
Paju
Yup, Amazon lets you pre-order it. You can also order it together with another upcoming book, Michelle Morgan's Marilyn Monroe: Private and Undisclosed.
I hope Gilmore's book will be good and interesting. I'll definitely get it if it's good smile1.gif
Scott, can you tell something more about meeting J. Gilmore?
mmcollector
John and I talked mostly about other Marilyn books that have been written about her. At any given time I'm reading several simultaneously. Right now I'm reading "Norma Jeane" by Guiles and "Marilyn Monroe" by Zolotow. We talked about what I was reading and he gave me his opinion on several other books about her as he's read quite a few. Of course, Slatzer did not receive positive comments. He also chatted about Marilyn and the times that he'd met her. He said he knew her over ten years or so. Attached is a photo I took of John at the 2006 Marilyn Monroe Memorial. On his website, this photo is quoted as coming from Jill Adams (of Forever Marilyn) but I actually took the photo. I forwarded it to Jill who sent it on to John for his book. We're working on getting that credit corrected. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
Paju
That was interesting smile1.gif You know, I'm also usually reading several MM books at the same time. Right now I'm reading Leaming's book, Eunice Murray's book, Norman Mailer's book and Guiles' book (this one I have read before, the others not). I'm also reading Jack Cardiff's Magic Hour which isn't all about Marilyn but there's a chapter about her.
mmcollector
I just LOVED Leaming's book. I was on vacation in Hawaii last January and I couldn't put it down, even while I was on vacation! I have other opinions about the book, but I won't mention them right now as you're still reading it. Let me know when you're through with it and let's see if we had the same thoughts. I'm also trying to read Mailer's book. I say "trying" because I really don't care for his writing style. Perhaps it's just how the book was printed but there seem to be very few breaks. By that I mean one page can consist of one paragraph. I just don't like how it flows when I'm reading it. I'll struggle through it though. One book I really did not like, and did not finish, was The Many Lives of Marilyn Monroe by Churchwell. UGH!
Paju
There's also some text about the book on the publisher's website: http://www.ferinebooks.com/inside_marilyn.htm
Paju
The book is now available at Amazon.com!
List price is $14,95 and their price is $10,17. Here's a link. You can also order it together with Michelle Morgan's upcoming book Marilyn Monroe: Private and Undisclosed. Together they are $27,30.
It did come out sooner than I thought. At one point it was due to be published May 1st. Amazon.com seems to have it in stock although on their site, under Product details it says: Publisher: Ferine Books; First Edition edition (April 24, 2007)
chris
I received it the last Wenesday
Chris
Paju
Have you read it? Can you tell us what is it like? I'm very curious smile1.gif
Paju
Or anyone else? I'm considering getting it if it's really good smile1.gif I'd appreciate your opinion if you've read it.
Stacy
I just received my copy. The pictures posted in the book are not very good quality and I'm sure we've seen them all. I'm about half-way through the book. The first chapters are devoted to her birth and upbringing. To me it doesn't get interesting until her modeling days. He does interview actresses that stayed at the Studio Club the same time as MM. The early MM is portrayed as odd, distant and totally self-absorbed by those that he interviewed.
I've still got a little more than half the book to go. But I'm not impressed so far. A couple of rare photos. As I said before, not very good quality.
I like to purchase all books about MM. So I'd get this one. But it's mainly a rehashing of her tired, old story so far.
Just my opinion.
Paju
Thanks Stacy smile1.gif
I wonder if it gets more interesting when he writes about the time he knew or met Marilyn himself. He is apparently telling the truth though.
Tara
A review with some quotes from Mr Gilmore about Marilyn...

http://www.popthought.com/display_column.asp?DAID=1353
nicky62
I just got mine from Borders book store
I thought It would have Rare pics but only a few are
its quite cute biggrin.gif
Nicky62
wombat
i've never heard of this guy. is there any credible proof at all that he actually knew her, as he claims? maybe we should be grateful that he isn't claiming he - too! - slept with her or she secretly had his baby or some such nonesense! huh.gif
hollywoodcinderella
Melinda talks about this book in her latest Podcast [mymarilyn.ca] - she said it was really interesting, but yeah said the picture quality wasnt the best.
~TheGirl~
I'm also hoping to read this book, Ive only ever read one Marilyn biography and would like to read another point of view.
Tara
I've just ordered this book and am looking forward to getting it. Will add my thoughts when I've read it...
~TheGirl~
Cant wait to read what you think about it Tara wink3.gif
Tara
Thanks Margaret! bye1.gif
Tara
My copy arrived this morning, hurray! I've just been looking through the pictures, and can't wait to start reading it!
Robby
Are they rare?
Tara
I've seen most of them online, but not in books. Though not in high resolution, I think they make a nice addition to the text.
Robby
Thanks, Tara!
~TheGirl~
Hows the book Tara? I ordered mine a few days ago, it seems to be getting good reviews on amazon.com i just wondered what you thought of it so far smile1.gif

x
Tara
I read it in a day or so, he has a very gripping writing style. I must say there isn't any dramatic new information, but it's nice to read his interviews with people who haven't spoken before. I liked having pictures on nearly every page, and it was quite a moving book. One small criticism would be that at times I found it a bit too bleak. We all know Marilyn had a lot of sadness in her life, but at the same time I think she had a real zest for life as well.
linkeando
i would like to know more about that second photo
Robby
Uhm, Marilyn did try to commit suicide several times in her life. Probably more than we know even know of.
Robby
I don't believe that. I do know she discalculated alot, but I do believe she did alot intentionally too.
Tara
Usually it was too close to call. Marilyn overdosed quite a few times, and some occasions were most likely accidental - but I do suspect that other times may not have been. To be cheating death so frequently is not, in my own view, the behaviour of a happy, healthy woman. It showed a certain carelessness towards her own wellbeing. How Marilyn really died is a mystery, but for all she achieved, something was desperately wrong in her world. The things that keep us all going - love and hope - were not as constant in her life as she surely deserved. That is not to say her life was all gloom and doom, because she was brave, generous and her spirit touched everyone around her. That facet of Marilyn's character is sometimes overlooked, but is just as important as her sadness.
~TheGirl~
I agree Tara, I think with all the saddness in Marilyns life she still had many acheievements eg her career. But i think somtimes society likes to just think of her as just a tragic figure.
Meikkuli
QUOTE(Tara @ Jul 3 2007, 06:57 PM) *
Usually it was too close to call. Marilyn overdosed quite a few times, and some occasions were most likely accidental - but I do suspect that other times may not have been. To be cheating death so frequently is not, in my own view, the behaviour of a happy, healthy woman. It showed a certain carelessness towards her own wellbeing. How Marilyn really died is a mystery, but for all she achieved, something was desperately wrong in her world. The things that keep us all going - love and hope - were not as constant in her life as she surely deserved. That is not to say her life was all gloom and doom, because she was brave, generous and her spirit touched everyone around her. That facet of Marilyn's character is sometimes overlooked, but is just as important as her sadness.

I agree 100 % - you have such a beutiful way to express your views, Tara :-) And usually all I have to say after your post is "I agree" smile1.gif

Oh, and regarding the book itself, I am on page 50. Will let you guys know more when I'm done:) Couldn't help but read Michelle's book first smile1.gif
~TheGirl~
I finished the book yesturday, Overall i enjoyed it i thought he had great empathy for Marilyn and i liked how he talked about the whole Slatzer "marriage" thing as being trash
Katri^
I finished reading this quite a long time ago, and I must say that I really enjoyed it smile1.gif I loved the pictures. They were rare, but the quality was poor. Still, there were pictures in very many pages, and it made the reading more interesting.
He spoke nicely about Marilyn, and the text was written in an interesting way. A wonderful book! smile1.gif
LostHurlyFan
I have been wanting to get this book. From what you all have said about it, it seems rather interesting. hmm.gif
marilyn
I got this book today and when i saw it i was kinda dissapointed by the size of the book. I personally expected a huge book filled with beautiful rare pictures. But almost every picture in the book is very poorly printed and i've seen them all before. I didn't read it yet and i do hope that i like this one after reading it. I only want to say that you don't have to get this one if you're expecting a beautiful picture book. Because it simply isn't. But it's not that i don't like it and i'm very happy to have it among my collection and i'm defenatly not going to sent it back. It's just not the kind of book i expected. And i do think it's quite expensive for such a small book. mellow.gif In my opinion 7 or 8 euros was enough for this book unsure.gif
~TheGirl~
I agree the photos are not printed well at all, I hope you enjoy the text tho
Paju
I got a chance to take a look at the book, and I have to say that after reading the comments here, I really expected the photos to be even worse. Sure, they're not high quality or huge, but I expected them to be REALLY grainy and lousy, and to me they're okay. And it's not supposed to be a photo book anyways.
Tara
I agree Paju, they may be a bit grainy but it's great to have so many in what is really a text-based book.
Paju
I got my copy today! I haven't had time to actually read it yet, but it seems good, and I'm glad I have it smile1.gif
lorileime
The new book by John Gilmore; Inside MM, has anyone read it? I am a little more than halfway through it. It portrays a Marilyn that I've never heard of before. I'd love to know what other people think about it. Any opinions?
Katri^
http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/ind...+marilyn+monroe

There is already a topic for this : )

But anyways it's good book!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.