Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newspaper Clippings
Everlasting Star Community > The experts' lounge > Magazines & articles discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
LasseK
Hi all,

I hope this topic will be useful.

I've found two interesting early gems to start off with.
Both of them may - publicity wise - be related to the early baby-sitting pictures.
The one with a photo gives a hint about the shooting date.
As you can see, she's got the early 1946 white bikini on, the one she used for many 1946 sessions.
1) From The Daily Register, Harrisburg, Illinois, Thursday, January 30, 1947
2) From Hayward Review Hayward California Friday, January 31, 1947
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
LasseK
QUOTE(Harald Haefker @ May 29 2006, 11:38 PM) [snapback]105847[/snapback]
Great stuff clapping.gif

Thanks, Harald. Yes, I think so too.
I will have a number of more items to add as I have time to upload it.

For now I have the following from
Reno Evening Gazette, Nevada, Monday, February 03, 1947

It's nice to get another hint at an approximate date of this shoot, of which a few pictures have been around.
I also might add that this, as well as the previous clippings, were sent by news services to many news papers around the U.S. and they'd publish them depending on what else they might have had to fill the paper for the day.

You can also see that they cut her age by two years.

Sorry about the quality. I've tried to make them a little more pleasing for the screen than was the original scan.

Click to view attachment

Thanks,
Lasse
Amber Nichols
Thanks!!!
linkeando
great information!!!!!! thanx
LasseK
Thank you, all.

Here's another picture, in yet another setting, from where we have a number of shots, including the one used here.

From Edwardsville Intelligencer, Illinois Saturday, April 05, 1947

Click to view attachment

Thanks,
Lasse
LasseK
Hi again,

I'm adding two more from spring 1947.

The first one from

Daily Times-News, Burlington, North Carolina Thursday, April 10, 1947,

and the second from

The Capital, Annapolis, Maryland, Wednesday, May 28, 1947.

I believe it was in February 1947 she did her first part in Scudda-Scudda Hay.

While in the previous clippings she was announced as someone who just got a contract, you'll note that in these notes she is announced as an "actress" and a "film player".

Lasse
LasseK
Marilyn is being noted by film columnist Louella Parsons.

The follwing two gossip notes name a couple of Marilyn dates and places she's been seen at.
Personally I don't know about either men, but maybe someone else has heard about them?

From

1) The Bradford Era, Pennsylvania Saturday, August 02, 1947

2) The Middletown Times Herald, New York, Wednesday, September 24, 1947

LasseK
Now on to Spring 1948.
Marilyn's 20th Century Fox contract was dropped late Summer 1947.
In March 1948 however, she was offered a contract with Columbia. It has been said that movie mogul Joe Schenk may have had a hand in this.
Marilyn will do a part in Ladies of the Chorus, only to soon be dropped by Columbia too.
It was at this time, March 1948 that Marilyn first met drama coach Natasha Lytess, and also musical director Fred Karger.

1) Middletown Times Herald, New York, Saturday, March 13, 1948.
2) San Mateo Times, California, Wednesday, April 28, 1948.
3) Daily Times-News, Burlington, North Carolina, Tuesday, May 11 1948.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Hope you find them interesting,
Lasse
linkeando
really very interesting, i gathering all this information, thanx!
meganmarilyn
The 'Daily Variety' announcing Jane Ball and Norma Jeane Dougherty signed to new contracts by 20th-Fox...September 5th, 1946.

I also found some info on the other actress who was mentioned, Jane Ball.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1274566/

"Pretty, fragile-looking "All-American" blonde actress briefly at 20th Century-Fox during WWII. She made only three films.

A chorus girl, she gave up her career to marry her "boss," New York's Copacabana nightclub impresario Monte Proser. They had five children starting in 1946: Charles, William, Michael, Timothy and Jaqmes. Proser died at age 69 in 1973.

After retiring from films, she became a nurse."
meganmarilyn
LasseK, those clippings are simply amazing! Thanx you so much!

Wow, where did you find them? Did you get them from ebay or scan them from books or the newspaper themselves, etc? So cool! thumbup1.gif
Ileana
Lasse and Megan, amazing rare gems!!!
jily
clapping.gif clapping.gif

thanks for sharing - interesting read

"0)
jilly thumbup1.gif
LasseK
Hi again,

Let's go back to 1947 a while, since I ran into a few other ones from then.

First there is a variation on the "bustle" picture with some added interesting information on the suit.
That's from Long Beach Independent, April 03, 1947.

(As you may have noticed I have included info on news paper and date in the file names.)
Click to view attachment

Secondly there is this article, where 1) MM is referred to regarding her "baby sitting" and 2) we get another approximate date for another shoot, from which we have already a number of pictures around.
This is from Nevada State Journal, Reno, July 13, 1947.
Click to view attachment

I will get back to you later on the source for these articles.

Enjoy,
Lasse
LasseK
Hi again,

Allright, fast forward to Summer of 1948.
MM has already started shooting Ladies of the Chorus.
The following two pictures are publicity shots for her during LotC.

The first one comes with some new and funny information about the picture. It says she's wearing a "metallic" bathing suit.. :-)

1) San Mateo Times, California, June 24 1948.

Click to view attachment

The second picture was probably shot at the set of LotC - she's wearing the same clothes as in one scene of the film.

2) Bridgeport Telegram, Connecticut, July 07 1948.
Click to view attachment

You guys want more stuff like this?

Thanks,
Lasse
suusmarie
Wondeful stuff Lasse w00t.gif !! Thanks a lot for sharing clapping.gif !!
LasseK
[quote name='Harald Haefker' date='Jun 5 2006, 03:00 PM' post='106565']
YES PLEASE!!!
DO NOT STOP!!!!

Just what I thought. But I just wanted to hear it.... :-)

I am amazed ....

Me too.

Also thanks to Suus.

Alright.
We're at late Summer and early Fall of 1948. Ladies of the Chorus has not yet been released - that'll be late October.

1) First I've got this Columbia Pictures publicity shot - For Ladies of the Chorus - which was published along with an article on how to properly exercise your body. Photographer is Cronenweth.
It's from Long Beach Press-Telegram, California, Aug 30, 1948
Click to view attachment
2) Next one is also a publicity shot for "Ladies...", along with an article on skin care, by the same writer who wrote on exercise in the first photo.
This was a month later - Long Beach Press-Telegram, California, Sept 23, 1948.
Click to view attachment

Enjoy,
Lasse
Tara
This was originally posted by Geenie on the Forever Marilyn group. The article is from the New York World-Telegram, Monday, August 6, 1962. Main headline reads 'MM: Accident Or Suicide?'
Tara
Another article from the same newspaper.
LasseK
I continue with another 1948 article which puts another well known shoot in perspective.
This is from Long Beach Press-Telegram, California, Friday, November 05, 1948.
At this time Marilyn had been dropped by Columbia after a six month contract and she was again struggling.
"Scudda Ho, Scudda Hay" had been released in Spring and "Ladies of the Chorus" shortly before this shoot.

Click to view attachment

Stay tuned for some more from the late 40s,
Lasse
LasseK
Ok, now we're in the Summer of 1949.
Marilyn has done her part in "Love Happy" and she and the studio is taking the opportunity to heavily promote her and the picture although her part is very small.
She has also recently, end of May, done the nude calendar shoot, which not yet but in a couple of years, will emerge and make a part of the now eternal Marilyn Monroe legend.

I add a piecee from Nebraska State Journal, Wednesday, June 08, 1949.
As you can see, we get another hint for an approximate date for yet another photo shoot.

Click to view attachment

I also include two small notes about Marilyn visiting New York in June (publishing dates in file names), by Earl Wilson and Walter Winchell, just to get a confirmation on rough dates for her visit.

Lasse
LasseK
This is a real gem to me.

Late July 1949. Marilyn is in New York on a Love Happy promotion tour/visit.
Media is alerted on her presence and availability. She also does some bathing suit shoots.
The following is, as far as I know, her first interview, done by Earl Wilson, where she by the publicity department is being announced as "The Mmmm Girl".
Click to view attachment

Enjoy,
Lasse
linkeando
sorry... whats "The big town", NYC?
Paju
I think "The Big Town" is New York.
linkeando
oh my god, im so stupid!!!!!! thanx
LasseK
Hi again.

Sorry it has taken a while to get back to these early newspaper items.

Anyway, I continue with a few 1949 items, which partly will look familiar to you.

(I might add that the date and other info is included in the file name, which you will notice when you save the articles/pictures.)

1) The first one is from August 17 in the Edwardsville Intelligencer, llinois.
I believe the picture was taken by the legendary photographer WeeGee at the Jones Beach, Long Island in June or July 1949 and it was also published in color in the Roto Magazine and in Sunday Times.
Click to view attachment

2) The second is the perhaps familiar Kyron ad. I have seen it published even in 1950, but this is the earliest date of publication that I have encountered, August 24 1949.
I believe the picture was taken by Laszlo Willinger, who shot quite a number of pictures of Marilyn in late 1940s.
Click to view attachment

3) The third one is a cute excerpt from a Louella Parsons column October 28 1949.
Marilyn has done her test for director John Huston for the part in Asphalt Jungle and got the part. Maybe they have already started shooting the picture.
Marilyn now has started her relationship with agent Johnny Hyde, who is doing everything he can to help her really get started. It seems that Marilyn feels this part is very important and it will indeed prove to be her first real break, even if it will take another year before she starts to get bigger parts.
Anyway Marilyn immediately calls Louella to hell her how much it means to her and what she feels about it.
Rather touching.
Click to view attachment

Hope you enjoy these early findings as much as I have done in finding them.

I also take the opportunity to thank Roksana, and also Suusmarie for the great, great magazine scans that you have sent to us.

Lasse
suusmarie
Thanks so much Lasse w00t.gif clapping.gif !!

hug.gif Suus
LasseK
I'll now briefly jump forward to 1952 with a bit of a "MM scoop" regarding a subject that keeps coming back in various threads.

Most of you have read or heard about Robert "Bob" Slatzer and many also hold strong opinions on this controversial person.

Since I prepared and uploaded the following two newspaper articles in another forum, I also add them here for you to read.

These are the original articles about Slatzer when he first appears in relation to MM. They have often been referred to, but as far as I know, they haven't been available on the net before.

1) Article from 1 September 1952, where Dorothy Kilgallen mentions Slatzer. (He had met MM and got his picture taken with her on the set of Niagara in June 1952)
Click to view attachment

2) The Kilgallen column of September 19 1952 where Slatzer sits in for Kilgallen, in which Slatzer talks about his meetings with MM.
Click to view attachment

These columns were syndicated and published in hundreds of newspapers all over the U.S.A.. There may have been earlier publications than those here submitted.

Have fun (or however you want to put it...)
Lasse
Nina
Lasse, I wanna thank you for sharing all these wonderful clippings - they're great clapping.gif

hug.gif for that blush.gif
LasseK
Time again to give something in return for everything that has been offered me on this board.

1) I return briefly to late 1949 with some notes by Kilgallen November 26 1949 on Johnny Hyde and Marilyn at Ciro's. Maybe they were leaving and he'd lost her in the crowd.
Click to view attachment

2) Now on to spring of 1950.
Marilyn, now sharing a house with Johnny Hyde, has already done her parts in Fireball, Right Cross and is right about to start shooting All About Eve. Love Happy is already running and Ticket To Tomahawk is about to premiere.
However, more important is the upcoming premiere of Asphalt Jungle. Louella Parsons has already seen a preview, I take it. These are her first notes about Marilyn after seeing it.
April 17 1950:
Click to view attachment

3) A combined advertisment and publicity for Ticket To Tomahawk on April 30 shows Marilyn in the same white dress she often wore during 1949.
Click to view attachment

4) Also film writer Bob Thomas is impressed by Marilyn's brief performance in Asphalt Jungle in this May 19th report.
Click to view attachment

(For a visual companion to these reports you may want to check your Earl Leaf folder of his shots of Marilyn in Hyde's garden. I have a date of May 17th for those. I also believe Beerman may have shot some bikini pictures of her about a week later, and not much later than that should Beauchamp's shoot be dated, I think.)

(As usual the dates are included in file names.)

Hope you like these early examples of how "Marilyn Monroe" gets noticed in the media to soon become the biggest new thing in the movie business.
If you have any comments or corrections to my information, please tell me.

I'll be back soon.

Enjoy,
Lasse
LasseK
Hi again.
We're still in 1950, late spring and summer.
Here are a number of MM articles which will give you a picture of what the early press attention of Marilyn looked like.

1) An example of how Marilyn Monroe now has become an attraction to sell "Love Happy".
The picture used here I believe was shot in 1949 and the first lines are taken from the Earl Wilson interview with MM in July 1949.
This is from Daily Independent Journal, San Rafael, California on May 20th, 1950.
Click to view attachment
2) This is a typical example of how MM was widely used in promotion of Asphalt Jungle, although her part was such a small one.
From Post Standard, Syracuse, NY on June 11, 1950.
Click to view attachment
3) Louella Parsons (who by the way is around 70 years old and was around even during the silent film era and has seen and met them all - Harlow, Mae West, Greta Garbo, Joan Crawford etc.), became an early supporter of MM. Here she reports that MM is planned by the studio to play in "Cold Shoulder". (There are a few pictures of MM doing a test for this film, but as far as I know, the film was shelved. Marilyn starts getting compared to big star Lana Turner.)
As we saw in an earlier Parsons column, she again touches upon the orphan aspect of Marilyns background, and soon this will become an integral part of her legend, as the press more and more brings it up.
From Charleston Gazette, West Virginia July 18, 1950.
Click to view attachment
4) The following is, alas, only the first part of a feature on MM. But still you get a picture of how MM is entering into a new phase of media attention, where attention also is turned to her personal background (along with another Lana Turner-connection.)
This is from the August 13, 1950 Long Beach Press-Telegram, California.
Click to view attachment

Hope you like it.

Lasse
Joan Newman
bye1.gif Lasse
I just discovered this thread. Wow, great info you found. I always heard that this Slatzer guy probably never really knew Marilyn, let alone marry her in Mexico, as he said. But I see he at least knew her indeed. Thanks so much. I'll be looking forward to more stuff from ya.
suusmarie
Wonderful thumbup1.gif ! Thanks cheers.gif !
meganmarilyn
All this proves is what we already knew. That he was a writer, or here called a literary critic of Columus, Ohio. Of course his fellow critic and I am sure friend, Dorothy Kilgallen would report what he says without any depth research if the facts are true or not. She says he has been romancing her by phone and mail, and sending her gifts. Uh, so what. Marilyn had many, and I can't even fathom, the amount of mail or phone calls she would have recieved from admirers or people she may have met briefly, them being infactuated with her. Slatzer says he met Marilyn in 1947 when she was 19. He can't even get her age right. She was 21 in June of 1947. So he again is on assignment for his column or his editor, and goes to Niagara to get a story on Marilyn. Like hundreds of other would be journalists at the time. Maybe he did meet her briefly in 1947. Maybe he tried to get to know her better on the set of Niagara. Marilyn at that time was seeing Joe Dimaggio and I am sure Slatzer was in line behind thousands of other men wanting to get her attention. I think people get too caught up with whoever is in a photograph with Marilyn or who Marilyn may have met at a certain time in her career. She was a celebrity, one of the nations most popular pinup girls, and a big star. She was kind to everyone and every request. But Slatzer claiming he knew her intimately, yet has no pictures or documention proving otherwise (except for the Niagara pics). I view Slatzer as just another stalker who tried everything to get her attention. And failed.

QUOTE(Nettie @ Oct 6 2006, 12:03 AM) [snapback]117050[/snapback]
bye1.gif Lasse
I just discovered this thread. Wow, great info you found. I always heard that this Slatzer guy probably never really knew Marilyn, let alone marry her in Mexico, as he said. But I see he at least knew her indeed. Thanks so much. I'll be looking forward to more stuff from ya.
meganmarilyn
I am trying to find more info about Marilyn's screen test for the unfilmed movie 'Cold Shoulder', mentioned in one of the newspaper clippings. Well, this website has it taken place on December 10, 1950. This photo to me looks like the screen test Marilyn had with Fox which got her a new contract. Your thoughts?

Hyde continued to call in favors until his weak heart began to give out. He arranged a screen test at Fox for a movie called Cold Shoulder.
http://www.marilynmonroe.ca/camera/collect...heck/index.html

Screen test on youtube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4LOP8wmmog
LasseK
I continue with the summer of 1950.
As we saw in a previous articles, Marilyn's performance in her very small part in Asphalt Jungle, turned the eyes of the moviemakers as well as the moviewatchers wide open. The press turn their attention to her person and her background.
The following article must have meant a lot to both Marilyn and Johnny Hyde, since - I belive - The Los Angeles Time was a rather big newspaper. (By the way, it mentions that Marilyn already has done a test for the Cold Shoulder (later shelved) film.)
1) From Los Angeles Times August 28 1950.
Click to view attachment

2) The second small piece is very interesting, in that it already mentions and discusses "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" two years ahead of its production, and with only MM:s brief performance in Asphalt Jungle to go by.
Sitting in for Parsons is one Manners (sorry I don't recall her first name), who speculates on Marilyn doing a part in the film project. (One may recall, that at this time Betty Grable was and for more than a decade had been a great star as well as a legendary pin-up girl since WWII.) Marilyn was a completely new name.
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes had been running as a successfull play on Broadway for some time, and there had also been talk of a movie version for some time.
From Lowell Sun, Massachusetts September 9, 1950.
Click to view attachment

Lasse
LasseK
Fall of 1950

1) One early example of the many titles Marilyn was appointed to by various military units.
(To what degree these titles origines from initiatives by the Fox publicity department I don't know.)
From Daily Courier, Connellsville, Pennsylvania, October 5, 1950.
Click to view attachment

2) The follwing is interesting as evidence of how far back MM:s aquaintance with Peter Lawford goes.
By Sheilah Graham, Monessen Daily Independent, Pennsylvania October, 12, 1950.
Click to view attachment

3) The tragedy is closing in. This is the first public note about Hyde's illness. Here Louella Parsons - an old friend of Hyde's and a new friend of Marilyn's - refers to it as the flu, although no doubt most people knew better.
By L Parsons, Modesto Bee And News-Herald, California, November 7, 1950.
Click to view attachment

4) What should have been a source of pure joy to both Johnny and Marilyn - the much publicized premier of All Abou Eve - probably gets overshadowed by worries about Hyde's poor condition.
Film ad, Post-Standard, The Syracuse, NY, November 7, 1950.
Click to view attachment

Lasse
linkeando
Thanks to these articles I get useful information, thanks very much
LasseK
I continue with some late 1950 articles which among other things reports on how Marilyn's relationship with Johnny Hyde is coming nearer it's sad ending.

1) First an interesting small piece, which besides info on Hyde's condition, also mentions another bit of information that touches upon the discussion about possible MM surgeries to her face.
By Harrison Carroll, The Bradford Era, Pennsylvania November 20, 1950.
Click to view attachment

2) It's easy to think that Marilyn's expression reflects her concern about Johnny Hyde.
From Herald Press, Saint Joseph, Michigan November 20, 1950.
Click to view attachment

3) No comments needed.
By Louella Parsons, Modesto Bee And News-Herald, California, November 24, 1950.
Click to view attachment

4) There have been some discussions about MM and the premiere of All about Eve.
This is a story that Jimmie Fidler tells in Joplin Globe, Missouri, November 25, 1950.
Click to view attachment

Till later,
Lasse
Ileana
Various from L.A. Times bye1.gif
Brigitte
Those are all Wonderful! I love the article on MM's excersise routine and how every woman should "feel" beautiful and not try to be something your not. I really believe that myself and it works!
suusmarie
Wonderful jumpymm.gif ! Thanks clapping.gif !
LasseK
I am uploading the following items which bring 1950 to a close. Also we can here see the sad ending of Marilyn and Johnny Hyde's relationship (unless you want to see it continued in her memory of it).

1) From "The Manhattan seen", Valley Morning Star, Harlingen, Texas by L.L. Stevenson, November 25, 1950.
If the Hearthside - as the byline "Manhattan seen" indicates - is in New York, it seems that Marilyn recently visited there.
Click to view attachment

2) From December 6, 1950 by Frank Morris, Winnipeg Free Press, Manitoba.
Another note on the Lana Turner theme.
Click to view attachment

3) Since I noticed that this photo was shot on this date, I add it just to give these notes a face, so to speak, although it's not a newspaper article.
Costume test, As Young As You Feel, December 14, 1950.
Click to view attachment

And, on the death of Johnny Hyde:

4) From December 19, 1950, Long Beach Press-Telegram, California, Tuesday.
Click to view attachment

5) From December 20, 1950, Independent Record, Helena, Montana, Wednesday.
Click to view attachment

Lasse
Ileana
Thank you, Lasse, great finds! I've always wondered how her relationship with Hyde would have progressed had he lived longer....
Ileana
More from L.A. Times
Lacrymosa
From a french newspaper (Le Journal du Dimanche), september 2006.

Click to view attachment
louie_gee_gee
throb.gif marilynbybrandon_190.gif Some really interesting articles - thanks everyone! thumbup1.gif

I recently found this front page Daily Mirror story from 8th August 1962 and thought you might be interested.

(Sorry about the watermark - I don't know how to get rid of it!)
LasseK
Hi all. For so long I've meant to continue to post more newspaper items, but haven't got around to it.

Here's a first one for this new round, a little gem I found.

We're back in 1947. You may recognize the picture and you may know the photographer. Anyway here we get an approximate date for the shoot.

This was published April 10 1947 in Daily News. The photographer Nat Dallinger had this photo page feature "Inside Hollywood" where he'd show pictures of Hollywood stars.

Tell me I'm good, and I will post some more... :-)

Lasse
LasseK
Filling out with a few more from 1947. I'll let the clipppings speak for themselves.

You will find the publishing date and name of the newspaper in the file name as you save it.
For instance "470929 by Harrison Carroll, Evening Independent" means that it was published 29 September 1947, written by Harrison Carroll and published in the Evening Independent.

I'm using this chronological system for my Marilyn archives and it works well for me. When you save the files into a folder they will neatly arrange themselves in chronological order.

Here we go.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Lasse
LasseK
Here are some additional clippings from 1948.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Lasse
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.