Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dress Size
Share |
zarabell
post Apr 16 2006, 10:24 AM
Post #1
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/jumpymm.gif) hi i was just wondering what dress size was marilyn ? as its always reported in the press she was a size 14 ,doesnt look a 14 to me !! lol
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
KES
post Apr 16 2006, 11:59 AM
Post #2
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

QUOTE(zarabell @ Apr 16 2006, 10:24 AM) [snapback]103104[/snapback]
(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/jumpymm.gif) hi i was just wondering what dress size was marilyn ? as its always reported in the press she was a size 14 ,doesnt look a 14 to me !! lol

Hello,
I have always wondered this and was told by my elders that they had read that Marilyn was a 14-16 which i very much doubted but then i was talking to a US seller of vintage clothing and discovered the following.
In the 50's US sizes were 2 sizes ahead of uk sizes - so a uk 10 would be a US 14
Then US sizes went 2 sizes behind UK sizes so a UK 10 would then be a US 6.
Pre internet etc.. i think that older generations have omitted the US size differences and said a size that they heard of at the time but not allowing for the switch around which occured later.
I think that this is right - please correct me if i am wrong.
I was following an auction of Marilyns blouse from Juliens Auction and the new owner was selling one of the blouses and they stated the same basically -the blouse said a US 14 which in todays sizes is a US6 which is a UK 10. dada I hope.

+Quote Post
Charli
post Apr 16 2006, 01:34 PM
Post #3
Ultimate fan

Group Icon

Well, I can tell just by looking at Marilyn that she was a size 10-12 Australian....which is rather small! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/coolio.gif)

+Quote Post
hazy
post Apr 30 2006, 11:05 PM
Post #4
Marilyn nut

Group Icon

I was just reading about this today....I thought this website explained a lot regarding Marilyn's dress size!!!

http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/mmdress.htm

+Quote Post
SusenSkellington
post May 9 2006, 03:47 AM
Post #5
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I love that site!

+Quote Post
Tara
post May 9 2006, 01:06 PM
Post #6
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

QUOTE(hazy @ Apr 30 2006, 11:05 PM) [snapback]104259[/snapback]
I was just reading about this today....I thought this website explained a lot regarding Marilyn's dress size!!!

http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/mmdress.htm

Great link thanks!

+Quote Post
Young
post Aug 7 2006, 05:51 AM
Post #7
Marilyn nut

Group Icon

It's rumoured that she was a usually a size 12 which today would equal to about a 6. I read that at her smallest she was a 4 and at her heaviest a size 8 which is not big at all. You know what was weird? I saw a ID card she had when she signed with a modeling agency at the age of 20 and it listed her height and weight as 5'5 1/2 and 117 pounds. This info was also the same 16 years later on her autopsy report.

+Quote Post
KES
post Aug 7 2006, 02:24 PM
Post #8
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

QUOTE(Young @ Aug 7 2006, 05:51 AM) [snapback]111283[/snapback]
It's rumoured that she was a usually a size 12 which today would equal to about a 6. I read that at her smallest she was a 4 and at her heaviest a size 8 which is not big at all. You know what was weird? I saw a ID card she had when she signed with a modeling agency at the age of 20 and it listed her height and weight as 5'5 1/2 and 117 pounds. This info was also the same 16 years later on her autopsy report.

Well spotted you clever thing
KES

+Quote Post
Vicoria Hoffman ...
post Jul 25 2008, 12:06 PM
Post #9
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

In the book 'My sister Marilyn', her sister Berniece said she was a size twelve at the time she met her in 1944.

+Quote Post
Theatrics
post Jul 25 2008, 03:02 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

QUOTE(zarabell @ Apr 16 2006, 10:24 AM) *
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/jumpymm.gif) hi i was just wondering what dress size was marilyn ? as its always reported in the press she was a size 14 ,doesnt look a 14 to me !! lol

She was dress size 18 when she died

+Quote Post
Alanma
post Jul 25 2008, 04:23 PM
Post #11
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I'm a mere male I know, but it seems a bit pointless getting all wound up about dress-size numbers, which, my late wife often told me, were meaningless tripe. One shop's size 12 is the shop next door's size 10. Mail order firms size-label their merchandise according to their target market, and what their rivals are doing. I know straight from the traditional horses's mouth that shops will swap size labels around when it is remainder-sale time!

It's not just women's stuff either. I have shoes marked 8, 8 1/2, 9 and 10. They are in fact identical.
Vanity. vanity. All is but vanity!

+Quote Post
Vicoria Hoffman ...
post Jul 25 2008, 07:33 PM
Post #12
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

Well said, Alan. My clothes are all about 3 different sizes.

+Quote Post
mmmMarilyn
post Jul 25 2008, 10:08 PM
Post #13
A Girl, but not THE Girl

Group Icon

Mine too! I just wear what fits and looks best. That's probably what Marilyn did too, because anything looked good on her, at any size and any given point in her life! : )

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th August 2019 - 02:19 AM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.