Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest: please Log In.
Everlasting Star is now a private community which no longer accepts new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Quotes About Marilyn
Share |
meztisa
post Sep 4 2008, 08:49 PM
Post #41
team marilyn

Group Icon

I have heard about Timebends. Many say it is very condescending towards Marilyn, as he often refers to her as a "child" and "mere girl".
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MissCaswell
post Sep 5 2008, 07:28 AM
Post #42
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

I've read timebends. I think it was Norman Rosten who said of Arthur that he was more interested of people as a concept than of actual people, and I get the impression that he found Marilyn immensely interesting in terms of her emotional and psychological complexity...sometimes he seems strangely objective and analytical when he writes about her. I don't find much hearfelt love in his writings about her. And condescending, yes. After all, he was the intellectual of the two (or so he seems to look at things) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes1.gif)

+Quote Post
abeautifulchild
post Sep 5 2008, 10:23 PM
Post #43
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Oh yes yes yes, Erica I couldn't agree more! After the divorce a reporter asked Marilyn, "Do you think that Mr. Miller only married you because he saw you as an inspiration for his writing?" (how rude) and Marilyn said, "I'll only answer if you promise to print my answer in full." The reporter: "Yes, yes?!" Marilyn: "No comment."

So there you are...

This post has been edited by abeautifulchild: Sep 6 2008, 07:52 AM

+Quote Post
MissCaswell
post Sep 6 2008, 04:33 PM
Post #44
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

I love the way Marilyn answered reporters sometimes! I think it's quite obvious he saw her as inspiration for his writing. Maybe he was in love with her in the beginning, but I don't think he could resist making up texts about her, and maybe that took over for him in the end.

+Quote Post
Bobby
post Sep 6 2008, 07:28 PM
Post #45
That smile...

Group Icon

Here's some W.J. Weatherby lines from his book, Conversations with Marilyn:

“Marilyn seemed to have a vitality that could transform everything. In her company one seemed to acquire a little of her urge to have a good time, against all the odds. I saw her in many moods but this quality stood out in the end.”

“She was an elusive individual who left unique, heavy memories.”

“Marilyn had an ability, unique in my experience, to appear to be what you wanted her to be and therefore the real person remained elusive. If you considered her a blonde bombshell, she’d play that for you but have no respect for you.”

+Quote Post
californiadude
post Sep 7 2008, 02:53 AM
Post #46
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

All by Lindsay Lohan;

"She just had this glow about her, you know? Like, bam, she entered a room and everyone shut up, no one would say anything. Her beauty, even on paper, just seemed so amazing. I have pictures of Marilyn everywhere. I used to study her by watching her films. I think she is one of the most incredible actresses."

"I think so many people feel connected with to what all she went through, she was so beautiful yet such a good actress, too. A lot of people couldn't see beyond the hype and realize that she was really talented."

"It would be a dream to remake anything of hers, you know. Such an honor, to pay respect to her that way would be such an honor. If I could remake one of Marilyn's movies, I'd start with Niagara."

+Quote Post
abeautifulchild
post Sep 9 2008, 04:25 AM
Post #47
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

"I don't think Marilyn really meant to harm herself. It was partly because she had too many pills available, then was deserted by her friends. You shouldn't be told you're completely irresponsible and be left alone with too much medication."
- Judy Garland

"It's difficult to write about Marilyn Monroe now that she is gone. The past tense just doesn't suit her somehow; she was too acutely alive. I knew her and was very fond of her. She was a strange, tormented, endearing girl, full of fun - a bravado fun, as though daring death to strike her down. Well, it did, finally. What can we say who saw her living in that shadow-land of loveless Hollywood? She who had such love in her heart - love for people, animals, birds, trees - had to die for lack of it! Who's to blame? I thought of blame, even though it's always too late."
- Norman Rosten

"That photograph with her holding the pillow was her favorite one. When she saw that photograph she said, 'Now don't you think that any man would love to be in bed with her?'"
- Douglas Kirkland

"The playwright Clifford Odets told me that she used to come over to his house and talk, but that the only times she seemed to him really comfortable were when she was with his two young children and their large poodle. She relaxed with them, felt no threat. With everyone else, Odets said, she seemed nervous, intimidated, frightened. When I repeated to Miller this remark about her with children and animals, he said, 'Well, they didn't sneer at her.'"

And my personal favorite, from Arthur Miller:

"As I was coming to the end of the writing of After the Fall, the horrifying news came that Marilyn had died, apparently of an overdose of sleeping pills.
There are people so vivid in life that they seem not to disappear when they die, and for many weeks I found myself having to come about and force myself to encounter the fact that Marilyn had ended. I realized that I still, even then, expected to meet her once more, somewhere, sometime, and maybe talk sensibly about all the foolishness we had been through- in which case I would probably have fallen in love with her again. And the ironic logic of her death did not help much: I could still see her coming across the lawn, or touching something, or laughing, at the same time that I confronted the end of her as one might stand watching the sinking sun. "
- Arthur Miller

This post has been edited by abeautifulchild: Sep 9 2008, 04:26 AM

+Quote Post
Alanma
post Oct 4 2008, 10:15 PM
Post #48
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

'Dietrich made sex remote; Garbo made it mysterious; Crawford made it agonising; but Monroe makes it amusing.
Whenever a man thinks of Marilyn Monroe, he smiles at his own thoughts'.

.............Milton Shulman, film and theatre critic of the 'Sunday Express'

'She has the infuriatingly innocent face of a guilty 5 year-old'.

..............Sir Laurence Olivier during making of TPATSG [the full quote]

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2016 - 08:52 PM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.