Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :

> Read before you post anything

May 6th 2005 : NEW RULES!

Before you start to post here, please remember that this is the place to ask only questions related to a photo or photographer, dates or events etc. It's not the right forum to post requests for/like

- bigger sizes
- without the watermark
- more from this session etc.

Those (for example) belong to the "Pictures Requests" subforum.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Alan Young Show, Marilyn & association with Alan Young
Share |
meganmarilyn
post Aug 28 2005, 07:43 AM
Post #1
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

http://otrsite.com/logs/loga1017.htm

Series: "THE ALAN YOUNG SHOW"
NBC SAL HEPATICA Wednesdays 9:00 - 9:30
Summer Replacement Series for THE EDDIE CANTOR SHOW
WITH: Ruth Perrott

1st episode was 06-28-44 & last episode 07-05-49.

------------

left - publicity still with Alan Young

right - Marilyn on float for The Santa Claus Lane Parade (Los Angeles,, CA) 11-22-1946.

This post has been edited by meganmarilyn: Jun 27 2017, 09:06 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File _1947__Alan_Young__MM___Bill_Thompson_01.jpg ( 708K )Number of downloads: 14
Attached File MM021.JPG ( 90.77K )Number of downloads: 7

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
linkeando
post Aug 28 2005, 12:22 PM
Post #2
IŽll follow her... always

Group Icon

i only know that was taken in 1947

+Quote Post
meganmarilyn
post Aug 30 2006, 03:19 PM
Post #3
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Found an Alan Young interview with him talking about a date with Marilyn in 1946. You can listen to it here...

'The Alan Young Show, a date with Marilyn Monroe, and meeting Mr. Ed
In this segment, Alan Young reflects upon his childhood years, his days as a teenage radio host and entertainer, and the Emmy-Award winning "The Alan Young Show." Mr. Young also recounts the details of his first date with Marilyn Monroe.' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

http://www.worldtalkradio.com/archive.asp?aid=1952

Here is some more info where Young talks about the bagpipes (in the photo with Marilyn).

"You can even purchase a publicity still where I was teaching Marilyn Monroe (then Norma Jean Dougherty) how to play the bagpipes. Thats Bill Thompson with us. He was the first Scrooge McDuck in the forties. Norma and I dated a little, but evidently neither the bagpipes nor I hit the right note." (07-2006)

http://www.mister-ed.tv/Alan%20Young's%20Bio.htm

The Alan Young Radio Show
Alan Young
Norma Jean Dougherty
(later known as MARILYN MONROE!)
Bill Thompson
(1st voice of Scrooge McDuck)

http://www.mister-ed.tv/Various%20Alan%20Young%20Photos.htm

This post has been edited by meganmarilyn: Jun 25 2017, 05:12 AM

+Quote Post
meganmarilyn
post Aug 31 2006, 11:13 AM
Post #4
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Listening to his interview, we have more background into this event with Marilyn on the float for that Christmas parade promoting the Allan Young Show, November 1946.

Bits from that interview...

"I had this radio show, and every year they had this parade. I went to the casting director at Fox to help me out. Said they would help with six beautiful blonde girls for the float and people won't look at anybody else. Six beautiful blonde girls on my float, and one of them was Norma Jeane Dougherty. She was very quiet and very shy, and I was very shy. When the parade was over I asked her if she'd like to go for a cup of cocoa with me. We dated a couple times."

(Impression of Marilyn)

"She was delightful. She was a real nice girl. Plain down to earth."

(Did you have an incling that she would become the superstar that she ultimately did?)

"No way. No. There was so many blonde startlets at Fox at that time. Betty Grable was the big star, and they had several others they were building up. And she was in that stable, I figured she might work, or might not."

This post has been edited by meganmarilyn: Jun 27 2017, 09:07 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File fmf_Marilyn__1946.jpg ( 252.08K )Number of downloads: 122
Attached File SantaClausLaneParade1946.jpg ( 27.3K )Number of downloads: 42

+Quote Post
suusmarie
post Sep 1 2006, 01:26 AM
Post #5
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Fabulous info Megan (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/thumbup1.gif) ! Thanks (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif) !

+Quote Post
meganmarilyn
post Aug 2 2010, 01:25 AM
Post #6
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

edit

This post has been edited by meganmarilyn: Aug 2 2010, 01:33 AM

+Quote Post
linkeando
post Apr 6 2012, 01:18 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

bigger

These bagpipes come from the original owner himself, Alan Young!
Born Angus Young in the United Kingdom and spending his boyhood in Scotland, it was only natural for actor Alan Young to take up the bagpipes. The actor, perhaps best known as Wilbur Post on the classic sitcom Mister Ed and as Filby in The Time Machine, purchased this specific set of R.G. Lawrie pipes in the mid-'40s. He first used them as part of his stage act while touring America with Liberace. (After the last show of the evening, the two would play together in the theater bar.)
Soon after, during his stint as the host of the Alan Young Show on radio , Young was asked to pose for a publicity photo with the pipes and a pretty girl. Young asked a former date of his named Norma Jean Baker to do the honors. By this time, she had changed her name to Marilyn Monroe and had started an acting career of her own, but was more than happy to return the favor.
The pipes, straight from Mr. Young, feature the Gordon tartan and ivory mounts -- a valuable feature since ivory is no longer legal to harvest. They are in Fine to Very Fine condition with some chipping and wear.

Attached File(s)
Attached File lfCASE0DTN.jpg ( 908.46K )Number of downloads: 45

+Quote Post
meganmarilyn
post Jun 27 2017, 08:58 AM
Post #8
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

You can see below in the photos how big of a parade that was, with all the lights up in the dark of night. So beautiful. I'm guessing MM had a great time being part of that in her hometown Los Angeles. In one of the clippings, it says 'A million persons turned out to see the trees and a parade featuring film and radio stars'.

And in the newspaper clip (1946-11-30) The Falls Gazette, I am pretty sure the girl sitting down on the ground is Norma Jeane! I blew it up, and if you compare her hair and clothes to the one in the float, it looks like her.

This post has been edited by meganmarilyn: Jun 27 2017, 09:30 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File _1946_11_12__The_Evening_Journal.jpg ( 57.52K )Number of downloads: 8
Attached File _1946_11_25__Santa_Claus_Lane_Newspaper_Clip.jpg ( 381.33K )Number of downloads: 10
Attached File _1946_11_30__The_Falls_Gazette.jpg ( 408.25K )Number of downloads: 21
Attached File _1946_12_05__The_Zanesville_Signal.jpg ( 229.92K )Number of downloads: 11
Attached File _1953_02_07__The_Sarasota_Herald_Tribune.jpg ( 266.56K )Number of downloads: 12
Attached File parade_of_stars.jpg ( 272.22K )Number of downloads: 12
Attached File H5364_L41044493.jpg ( 276.01K )Number of downloads: 24
Attached File 1946_SantaClausLane_HollywoodBoulevard_LA.jpg ( 192.12K )Number of downloads: 11
Attached File _1946_11_30__The_Falls_Gazette___MM.jpg ( 65.47K )Number of downloads: 17
Attached File NORMA_JEANE_STANDING___SITTING.jpg ( 180.91K )Number of downloads: 23

+Quote Post
meganmarilyn
post Jun 27 2017, 07:39 PM
Post #9
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Norma Jeane's 1st newspaper photo since signing with Fox Studios. That I have in my collection. Could be wrong.

This post has been edited by meganmarilyn: Jun 28 2017, 01:05 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File _1946_09_05__The_Daily_Variety__New_Contracts_.jpg ( 38.55K )Number of downloads: 12
Attached File _1946_11_30__The_Falls_Gazette.jpg ( 408.25K )Number of downloads: 44
Attached File _1946_11_30__The_Falls_Gazette___MM.jpg ( 65.47K )Number of downloads: 23

+Quote Post
linkeando
post Jun 27 2017, 11:51 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

mmm, interesting, but I'm not sure 'cause it's not Alan Young's float, correct me if I'm wrong

This post has been edited by linkeando: Jun 27 2017, 11:52 PM

+Quote Post
meganmarilyn
post Jun 28 2017, 01:07 AM
Post #11
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(linkeando @ Jun 27 2017, 03:51 PM) *
mmm, interesting, but I'm not sure 'cause it's not Alan Young's float, correct me if I'm wrong

We don't know what this float is or how NJ is connected to it. Just my opinion that's her.

This post has been edited by meganmarilyn: Jun 28 2017, 01:08 AM

+Quote Post
CYRILPARIS
post Jun 30 2017, 09:01 AM
Post #12
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(linkeando @ Jun 28 2017, 12:51 AM) *

Yes it's not Alan Young's float and this girl didn't wear a beret

+Quote Post
meganmarilyn
post Jun 30 2017, 01:21 PM
Post #13
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(CYRILPARIS @ Jun 30 2017, 01:01 AM) *
Yes it's not Alan Young's float and this girl didn't wear a beret

NJ wore the beret at night during the parade. This is obviously during the morning or afternoon. Again, we don't know if NJ was around other floats. We have no backstory of her time there. Alan Young in his interview years later, said he recollected around 6 girls he hired from Fox. If you count the girls (their shoes), you will seven. One to the left of NJ, her legs and top is somewhat mixed in the background of the float, but you can see her shoes.

My point is 7 girls, and Alan recollected around 6. NJ is wearing the same white sweater, and dark skirt in the only known photo of her on the float with a sign. If im the only one who can see Norma Jeane's hairstyle and expression on her face, then I am the only one.

This post has been edited by meganmarilyn: Jun 30 2017, 01:23 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File NORMA_JEANE_STANDING___SITTING.jpg ( 180.91K )Number of downloads: 31

+Quote Post
msjobean
post Mar 28 2020, 11:10 AM
Post #14
Marilyn nut

Group Icon

Hello. Pottering around, stuck at home during the COVID-19.
I found this photo of the Santa Clause Lane float on Getty Images (you can find it bigger there - I had to resize it in order to get it to upload here).
The original caption reads: 11/29/1946-Hollywood, CA- Santa Claus is surrounded by a bevy of scantily clad movie starlets as his $25,000 "sleigh" moves down "Santa Claus Lane," in Hollywood.
I can't see Marilyn in the photo :(
Attached File(s)
Attached File Santa_Claus_Lane__1_.jpg ( 418.5K )Number of downloads: 19

+Quote Post
JC 96816
post Mar 29 2020, 10:49 AM
Post #15
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/marilynbybrandon_190.gif) Maybe this one??? can't tell without seeing the face though...
Attached File(s)
Attached File Santa_Claus_Lane__1_CIRCLE.jpg ( 64.05K )Number of downloads: 17

+Quote Post
msjobean
post Mar 30 2020, 02:17 AM
Post #16
Marilyn nut

Group Icon

I was looking at other photos of Marilyn around that time, and can't find any of her wearing similar shoes (sling-backs), so I am not convinced the woman with her head turned from the camera is Marilyn.

+Quote Post
JC 96816
post Mar 30 2020, 10:39 AM
Post #17
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(msjobean @ Mar 29 2020, 03:17 PM) *
I was looking at other photos of Marilyn around that time, and can't find any of her wearing similar shoes (sling-backs), so I am not convinced the woman with her head turned from the camera is Marilyn.

I was going by the hairstyle...

+Quote Post
Stacy
post Mar 30 2020, 05:17 PM
Post #18
Dearest Poo...

Group Icon

Marilyn rode on the float representing The Alan Young Radio Show, with other Fox starlets. He viewed her from a window as the float passed by and noticed Marilyn because she smiled more than the other starlets. Afterwards some of the cast member of his show, and Alan Young, with the starlets go to the Brown Derby. He spends the evening talking with her. He invites her to a cocktail party the next night at Conrad Janis' home. They go to the cocktail party together.
2.6.53, Earl Wilson; Motion Picture 1.55, On Again Off Again, Earl Wilson; Mr Ed and Me and More, Alan Young, 2007.

+Quote Post
JC 96816
post Mar 30 2020, 08:42 PM
Post #19
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/marilynbybrandon_190.gif) Thanks Stacy, good to have details. Please post pix if you have them.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2020 - 05:58 AM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.