Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Book Survey
Share |
Katri^
post May 15 2008, 03:20 PM
Post #21
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

1. How many Marilyn books do you have?

13, not very many

2. What was the first book you got? Did you buy it yourself or did someone give it to you?

It was Spoto's, and it was a gift.

3. What book are you going to get next?

I don't really know (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Maybe Eve Arnold's Marilyn Monroe, or Sam Shaw's Marilyn among friends

4. Any books you regret buying?

Not really. I don't have that many books.

5. What book do you dream of getting some day?

Christie's book! I could have bought it for my birthday, but then I decided to get The complete last sitting, because I had been dreaming of getting that someday so... Anyways, Christie's is very high on my list of "buy this when you have money".

6. Name your three favorite Marilyn books (and why):

Well, the first one is without a doubt Marilyn Monroe - Private and undisclosed. I enjoyed reading it so much! The way it was written was so great, and the interviews, and pictures and all... The book #1 for me!

And then... Marilyn Monroe: her life in her own words. : ) It's such a sweet book! I love Barris's photos, and I really loved reading the text, you know, it all was from Marilyn. It was wonderful to read about her life actually from her point of view.

Then Platinum Fox. I really liked the "behind-the-scenes" kind of feeling. I just enjoyed reading it!

7. Recommend one book that hasn't been recommended by anyone who has taken this survey before you:
Hometown girl. : ) It is a very unique book. I love even looking at it! It is a very special book to me, I love it.

8. Throw rocks at one book:
Sarah Churcwell's The Many lives of Marilyn Monroe. I don't know if it's actually a bad book, but I didn't have patience to read it. Just difficult language to me, even though I read it in Finnish (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

9. Any interesting stories about your books (how you got them, do they mean something special to you, anything)?
Well, I got my first MM book from my dad's friend. I never actually met him, and he didn't need to book and my dad had told him that I'm a huge MM-fan.
When I was coming from Tampere (where I had seen the Marilyn musical), my brother called me and told me that there was an MM-book waiting for me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I was so excited. That book is very special, because it was my first MM book that I actually owned.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lorelei
post Jun 30 2008, 03:44 PM
Post #22
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

1. How many Marilyn books do you have?  5

2. What was the first book you got? THE 1ST I'VE READ WAS "GODDESS" BUT THE 1ST I'VE BOUGHT WAS A BOOK BY SPOTO.

3. What book are you going to get next? DON'T KNOW EXACTLY - THE FIRST I'D SEE IN A SHOP

4. Any books you regret buying? NO. I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT MARILYN - BOOKS WITH NO TRUE FACTS HAVE TRULLY FANTSTIC PHRASES ABOUT MARILYN.

5. What book do you dream of getting some day?SOME OF THE EARLIEST BIOGRAPHIES

6. Name your three favorite Marilyn books (and why): "GODDES" BY SUMMERS - I ADORE IT - SINCE READING THIS BOOK I'VE BECOME A MARILYN FAN. OTHER TWO FAVS I HOPE I'LL FIND SOMEDAY.

7. Recommend one book that hasn't been recommended by anyone who has taken this survey before you: HARD TO - BOOKS IN RUSSIAN ARE HARD TO FIND AND HARD TO READ TO NON RUSSIAN-SPEAKING PEOPLE, SO I DON'T KNOW

8. Throw rocks at one book: SOUNDS STRANGE BUT IT'S BOOK BY SPOTO. I DON'T KNOW WHY BUT I EVEN DIDN''T FINISH READING IT.

9. Any interesting stories about your books: "GODDES" AGAIN. IN RUSSIA IT WAS FIRST PUBLISHED ABOUT 10 YEARS AGO AND IT WAS NOT POPULAR, I'VE READ IT IN LIBRARY. THEN I WAS TRYING TO FIND EVERYWHERE BUT NO SUCCESS AND I'VE LOST THE LAST HOPES BUT ONE DAY (DON'T KNOW HOW HE DID IT) MY BOYFRIEND BROUGHT ME THAT BOOK. I WAS HAPPY AS NEVER BEFORE))))  I KNOW "GODDESS" ALMOST BY HEART)

+Quote Post
Kowalczyk
post Jun 30 2008, 04:22 PM
Post #23
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

QUOTE(Garbo20 @ Nov 29 2007, 05:41 PM) *
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) I only have one book.

Thank God I'm not the only one! And I haven't even finished it yet... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

+Quote Post
filthy22
post Jul 1 2008, 09:11 PM
Post #24
The blonde

Group Icon

15 I think, and counting....

2. What was the first book you got? Did you buy it yourself or did someone give it to you?

First book I 'read' was an art book of Marilyn and Elvis, the name escapes me but it was fabulous. The next was W.J. Weatherby's Conversations with Marilyn Monroe. I borrowed both books from the library. The first book I bought was Donald H. Wolfe The Assasination of Marilyn Monroe.

Currently reading Fred Lawrence Guiles Norma Jean. Next, again, will be Weatherby's Conversations with Marilyn. I havn't read it in years and look forward to reading it again now i know more about her. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/marilynbybrandon_190.gif)

No, not really. My brother bought me the Liz Evens book Who killed Marilyn Monroe? - which is not about MM but about a donkey named after her! haha

Bert Stern's Last Sitting. I love the pictures! Other than that, any decent recommended book about her.

This is going to be hard...

1. The Mmmm girl by our very own Tara Hanks. Just finished this book and it a refreshing read! The book is a whole new perspective on MM's life and every fan should read it. It's very touching.

2. The Marilyn handbook by Mike Evans. It's a really cute book, with lots of pix and information. It's nice and light hearted, which is great if you have been reading some heavy biographys!

3. To be honest I am not sure... I have enjoyed all my MM books I guess.....maybe it's one I havn't even read yet?! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blush.gif)

7. Recommend one book that hasn't been recommended by anyone who has taken this survey before you:

Again, The Mmm girl.

Marilyn Monroe by Barbara Leaming. I just didn't like the book...I found it hard to get into and more of an "Arthur Miller" biography because there was so much about him haha (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I also think that Leaming really didn't like Marilyn that much.

9. Any interesting stories about your books (how you got them, do they mean something special to you, anything)?
I don't think there is anything too interesting......but here goes lol
Well, WJ weatherbys book means alot, as I said before it was my first read. When I read it I was going through a bad time personally and felt I could relate to Marilyn. The book was a great comfort... and made me a huge fan (IMG:style_emoticons/default/marilynbybrandon_190.gif)
My second story is where I found the Andre de dienes book. I'd seen it in a shop once but didn't buy it and coudn't find it since. Then a few christmases ago I walked into a clothes shop called "Topshop". They had a cute gift section with mugs and clocks and books.....and guess what I found?! Yup the De Dienes book. Who'd of thought it eh? Thats the last place i'd of looked (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

This post has been edited by filthy22: Jul 1 2008, 09:14 PM

+Quote Post
brooke
post Jul 1 2008, 09:39 PM
Post #25
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

Unseen Archives - Marie Clayton. My dad bought it for me on sale at Barnes & Nobles.

I was just given My Sister Marilyn by Bernice Baker Miracle as a gift, so I'll start on that next.

Nope!

Christie's - Personal Property of Marilyn Monroe!

Well, I own about 3 times as many books on Marilyn than I've actually read. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif) Haha, but out of the ones I've read so far..

1. Marilyn Encyclopeida - Adam Victor. I just love all the information it has, tells me lots about Marilyn & I love it.

2. Marilyn - The Ultimate Look at the Legend - James Haspiel. I like James' stories about Marilyn, shows how caring she was.

3. Marilyn Monroe: The Complete Last Sitting - Bert Stern. The pictures are just lovely.

Eeek, I don't feel like looking through them all, but Images of Marilyn. Got it about 4 months ago, has nice, candid images!

I haven't read a book yet that was bad!

Not really. The other day I got a book on Marilyn by James Spader and the price was 15 dollars, but this was at a used bookstore, and the book was kind of falling apart. I really wanted it though, so I used my negotiating skills and told the guy about how it was falling apart, and he reduced the price to 1 dollar!! Needless to say, I bought it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
ziggy
post Aug 8 2008, 08:45 PM
Post #26
Mr. Queen Bee

Group Icon

Eleven, and the screenplay for SLIH.

2. What was the first book you got?
Marilyn at Twentieth Century-Fox by Lawrence Crown.

I tried to order the one with extensive analysis on her movies and performances (I forget the title) but the bookstore couldn't find it anywhere so the order expired.

Not really. Even the dreadful ones serve a purpose.

The as yet unwritten perfect one.

1) The Spoto one, because it apparently is the most reliable extensive account on MM's life published so far. I also love the fact that Spoto goes a little deeper analyzing her performances and movies.

2) The Churchwell one. What's with all the hate for it? I think her way of depicting Marilyn is original and respectful. Her points are provocative and I disagree with some of them, but that only makes it interesting. It's a mesmerizing portrait.

3) Marilyn at Twentieth Century-Fox, because it focuses on her work instead of private life. The pictures are awesome. Plus, it was my first one.

7. Recommend one book that hasn't been recommended by anyone who has taken this survey before you.
Marilyn - alaston naamio by Antti Alanen. It's a gem and should be translated into ENglish this instant.

8. Throw rocks at one book.
The Summers book is a stinky piece of dirt.

I hardly knew anything about Marilyn when I first came across the Summers piece. I was about five, and I was so frightened by the shot of her post-autopsy picture that I woke up in cold sweat on nightly basis for several weeks (no kidding). I didn't go near the book in years.

+Quote Post
thesims2fan
post Dec 31 2008, 05:07 PM
Post #27
Marilyn nut

Group Icon

Seven

2. What was the first book you got?
Goddess : The Secret Lives of Marilyn Monroe (IMG:style_emoticons/default/marilynbybrandon_190.gif)

Marilyn Monroe : Private and Undisclosed

Victim : The Secret Tapes of Marilyn Monroe

Marilyn by Andre De Deines. Way too pricey for the boxed version, at the moment, but will save up for it!

1) Goddess. First Marilyn book, and got me interested in her.

2) The Assassination of Marilyn Monroe by Donald Wolfe. Thought it was very interesting and made a strong case of the different theories.

3) The Complete last sitting - Bert Stern. Love the pictures!

7. Recommend one book that hasn't been recommended by anyone who has taken this survey before you.
Has the assassination of Marilyn Monroe been recommended? Well I thought it was pretty good!

8. Throw rocks at one book.
Marilyn Monroe by Barbra Leaming. I gave up on it. It rambled on about everyone besides Marilyn!

Went into my local bookshop (very small!) and no marilyn book in the biography section. But when I went to the bargain section, there were two! I was very pleased, although I had one of them I decided to get it again!! haha!! In my defence it did have a different cover!

+Quote Post
Scottish Sugar
post Feb 15 2010, 07:00 PM
Post #28
Scotland's Marilyn Fanatic!

Group Icon

Nearly 30

Unseen Archives - Marie Clayton. It was probably only a few days after becoming a Marilyn fan that I bought this book. I was shopping with my sister in Glasgow, she's an avid reader and we were in a discount book store and I saw it and she was the one who convinces me to buy it! I can't tell you how amazing it was to go from knowing practically nothing about Marilyn to having this huge book stuffed with pictures I'd never seen before (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

I really want Donald Spoto's book as I've heard so many good things about it.

No, I never regret anything to do with Marilyn that I buy.. other than how much damage it does to my bank balance lol

Well like I said, I'd love Spoto's book, but I'd also love the book Bernice Miracle Baker wrote.

The Unbridged Marilyn, because it's more like a BIBLE than a book! Marilyn Monroe: Private and Undisclosed, the best bio on Marilyn I've ever read and The Marilyn Monroe Treasures.. I love looking at all the replica documents and treasures, I feel as if I'm that little bit closer to her (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

Some Like It Hot by Taschen. I know it's not technically a Marilyn book, but it's awesome!

Mmmmm any book that credits Robert Slatzer

It was a customer I knew through my part time job at a supermarket that GAVE me the Christies Auction Book.. I was astounded by her kindness, she was moving back to Australia and wanted to make sure it went to a good home. I'll never forget her and it restored my faith in the good of mankind!

+Quote Post
mm_artiste
post Sep 14 2011, 10:24 PM
Post #29
Marilyn nut

Group Icon

1. How many Marilyn books do you have? 36

2-What was the first book you got? Did you buy it yourself or did someone give it to you? Goddess by Anthony Summers, given to me by my grandma Elizabeth and it's my most treasured possession

3-What book are you going to get next? Not sure, I hope to get my hands on the latest version of The Last Sitting

4-Any books you regret buying? Marilyn, Joe and Me (the pictures are great, the story is way too self serving for the "author")

5-What book do you dream of getting some day? The Last Sitting

6-Name your three favorite Marilyn books (and why): Fragments, treasure trove of personal info and images. Marilyn Among Friends (1st edition), love the stories and the photography is stunning. Marilyn - August 1953, I love seeing the pictures of her and Joe together and happy.

7-. Recommend one book that hasn't been recommended by anyone who has taken this survey before you: Fragmentsl

8- Throw rocks at one book: Spoto's book... way too salacious and was given a personal 'un' recommendation by Joshua Greene

9- Any interesting stories about your books (how you got them, do they mean something special to you, anything) Just love finding first editions in little local bookstores, it's like finding a treasure that can't be found anywhere else.

+Quote Post
nicky62
post Sep 15 2011, 02:31 AM
Post #30
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

1. How many Marilyn books do you have? 200+

2-What was the first book you got? Did you buy it yourself or did someone give it to you? Marilyn by Norman Mailer first edition a gift from my best friend

3-What book are you going to get next? Metamorphosis or any with the Avedon complete collection

4-Any books you regret buying? Nope

5-What book do you dream of getting some day? Marilyn Treasures

6-Name your three favorite Marilyn books (and why): The Complete Last sitting - it has all the pics I love , De Dienes the Box Set - Gorgeous Marilyn Encyclopedia almost complete info

7-. Recommend one book that hasn't been recommended by anyone who has taken this survey before you: After the Fall

8- Throw rocks at one book: The secret Happiness of MM and Marilyn Confidential

9- Any interesting stories about your books (how you got them, do they mean something special to you, anything) I love books all in all Most were gifts from my Mom (RIP) others I saved the money for them I love talking to my friends and displaying my collection (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/banana.gif)

+Quote Post
ZeldaZonk
post Aug 12 2012, 09:12 PM
Post #31
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

1. How many Marilyn books do you have? 16, if I count "The Immortals" and "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (but marry brunettes)"

2. What was the first book you got? Did you buy it yourself or did someone give it to you? The Summers book. I bought it myself, if I remember it correctly (long time ago)

3. What book are you going to get next?  Probably Marilyn by Magnum

4. Any books you regret buying? I regret the Mailer biography a bit. It's impossible to read (imho), the pictures are beautiful, but most of them are in other books I have, and in better quality.

5. What book do you dream of getting some day? The Complete Last Sitting by Bert Stern

Marilyn Monroe, A Life in Pictures / Les images d'une vie (Anne Verlhac) - the pictures are wonderfully picked and the printing quality is great and my boyfriend gave it to me (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/wink3.gif)

The Spoto biography - very detailed, respectful and not a bit boring (although he seemed to have some minor problems with keeping days and dates in correct order)

The Eve Arnold book - wonderful pictures and nice to read (although also some minor memory lapses on her side)

7. Recommend one book that hasn't been recommended by anyone who has taken this survey before you: A German book:

"Marilyn Monroe - Photographien 1945-1962" by Schirmer/Mosel. That's the little book I'd take to a lonely island with me. It has the short essay from Chameleons by Truman Capote as an introduction, followed by not quite 100 pages of nicely picked photographs; and it fits in any handbag (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

8. Throw rocks at one book: well, maybe I'd throw a bit of sand at the Mailer book. but just a little.

+Quote Post
mberton
post Aug 13 2012, 12:49 AM
Post #32
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

1- How many Marilyn books do you have? 92

2-What was the first book you got? Did you buy it yourself or did someone give it to you? Monroe: Her Life in Pictures by James Spada. Bought it myself at 14 years of age (a long time ago!).

3-What book are you going to get next? The Marilyn Encyclopedia by Adam Victor

4-Any books you regret buying? Yes - see books I would throw rocks at!

5-What book do you dream of getting some day? Just downloaded the Kindle version of Marilyn: A Hollywood Farewell, so that one is ticked off the list!

6-Name your three favorite Marilyn books (and why): Any book that details the normal, day-to-day interests of Marilyn: The Personal Property of Marilyn Monroe (Christie’s catalogue), Fragments and MM Personal by Lois Banner.

7-. Recommend one book that hasn't been recommended by anyone who has taken this survey before you: Marilyn: The Last Months by Eunice Murray. I know it’s controversial but I love how Marilyn’s habits and personal pursuits and interests are described in this book.

8- Throw rocks at one book: The books by Robert Slatzer, Ted Jordan and Hans Jorgen Lembourn.

9- Any interesting stories about your books (how you got them, do they mean something special to you, anything) Goddess by Anthony Summers was the first in-depth biography I read and I was drawn to understanding MM more because of this book.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2019 - 06:21 PM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.