Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Book Survey
Share |
Paju
post May 27 2005, 02:15 PM
Post #1
♥ Appleblossom ♥

Group Icon

Hey guys (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
I thought a little Marilyn Monroe book survey would be interesting. I just made this up myself (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

1. How many Marilyn books do you have? 17, if I counted them right. Plus the Marilyn Monroe paperdolls "book" by Tom Tierney and The Immortals by Michael Korda.

2. What was the first book you got? Did you buy it yourself or did someone give it to you? Donald Spoto's biography. My mom got it for me when I was eleven and just starting my Marilyn obsession for real (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

3. What book are you going to get next? James Haspiel's Marilyn: The Ultimate Look At The Legend. I just ordered it today, it should arrive in 3-4 weeks (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/jumpymm.gif)

4. Any books you regret buying? None actually. The Immortals isn't good but then again I don't really count it as a real Marilyn book (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes1.gif)

5. What book do you dream of getting some day? Sam Shaw's Marilyn Among Friends for sure (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

6. Name your three favorite Marilyn books (and why): The Marilyn Encyclopedia by Adam Victor (because there's a lot of information alphabetically so it's easy to find what you're looking for, plus there are a lot of beautiful pics); The Marilyn Handbook by Mike Evans (because it's just a perfect little package of Marilyn info and pictures); Donald Spoto's Biography of Marilyn Monroe (because I trust this one a lot). Btw, now I'm mad at myself for setting such a difficult question (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/angry.gif) (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/laughing.gif) It's just so hard to pick only three books.

7. Recommend one book that hasn't been recommended by anyone who has taken this survey before you: Hehe, since I'm the first I can recommend anything. I'm picking The Marilyn Encyclopedia because like I said in my previous answer, it has both lots of info and lots of pictures... It just has it all! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/syimarilyn_161_733.gif)

8. Throw rocks at one book: I really hate Blonde. I can't think of anything good to say about it *throws rocks at Blonde* (and even though I hate it I'm going to read it this summer and actually finish it this time - I couldn't finish it last time because I hated it too much)

9. Any interesting stories about your books (how you got them, do they mean something special to you, anything)? Well, Spoto's book is special because that's where it all started. And I remember so well how I first found a Haspiel book: I was visiting my relatives in another city and we went shopping. I saw this book that looked so good I just had to get it. It was Haspiel's Unpublished Marilyn (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif) And I remember gazing The Marilyn Encyclopedia in a bookstore every time we went to Helsinki. And then I finally could buy it! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I don't know if any of this is actually that interesting, I hope you guys have better stories.
It's your turn now! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
chris
post May 27 2005, 03:03 PM
Post #2
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

1. How many Marilyn books do you have? 309 books

2-What was the first book you got? Did you buy it yourself or did someone give it to you? Sandra Shevey " Le scandale Marilyn" en français "The Marilyn scandal" I bought it myself in Paris in 1989.

3-What book are you going to get next? for the moment nothing I hope to get one day the book of Stacy.LOL

4-Any books you regret buying? Blonde by Oates

5-What book do you dream of getting some day? this one of Stacy

6-Name your three favorite Marilyn books (and why): Marilyn encyclopedia by Adam Victor it is for the most complete Donald Spoto for the timelines and the details Milton's Marilyn for all

7-. Recommend one book that hasn't been recommended by anyone who has taken this survey before you: The DD group by David Marshall

8- Throw rocks at one book Blonde for the same reasons I couldn't read it I tried many times but I couldn't

9- Any interesting stories about your books (how you got them, do they mean something special to you, anything)? I'm so pleased to get the Hollywood Farewell after such long years but thanks to my books I discovered Marilyn's world and I get some of my best friend

Chris

+Quote Post
Marloes
post May 27 2005, 04:17 PM
Post #3
Silent Reverie

Group Icon

1. How many Marilyn books do you have?
11, but I just started collecting books 1,5 years ago, so I think my collection is going to get pretty big... (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Oh and I got 2 poster books from 1988.

2. What was the first book you got? Did you buy it yourself or did someone give it to you?
It was 'Goddess' or 'Milton's Marilyn'. I am not quite sure... I think it was Milton's book (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) I got all the books I have myself.

3. What book are you going to get next?
James Haspiel's Marilyn: The Ultimate Look At The Legend. I ordered it a month ago, so it should be in soon... I hope.

4. Any books you regret buying?
'Marilyn' by Jay Harrison. Not a quite exciting book, one of the first books I bought actually.

5. What book do you dream of getting some day?
I was dreaming of 'Marilyn Among Friends' but I got that book last week, so now 'The Complete Last Sitting' by Bert Stern is what I am hunting for (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

6. Name your three favorite Marilyn books (and why):
1) The Marilyn Encyclopedia, for all the facts in it.
2) Marilyn Among Friends by Sam Shaw, drooling over the pictures.
3) Milton's Marilyn by Milton H. Greene, his pictures are stunning.

7. Recommend one book that hasn't been recommended by anyone who has taken this survey before you:
Marilyn Among Friends, the pictures are just gorgeous. But hey, I'm a picture freak.

8. Throw rocks at one book:
Uuuh. Don't know.

9. Any interesting stories about your books (how you got them, do they mean something special to you, anything)?
All my books. I adore the books I have. Except 'Marilyn' by Jay Harrison. But since a year I pick books about Marilyn very carefully. I want to have a cool book collection. Books are an obsession to me: when I was looking at it, I saw I was buying about one Marilyn book a month. That's crazy huh? (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

+Quote Post
wootness
post May 27 2005, 07:43 PM
Post #4
That's My Marilyn

Group Icon

I currently have 26 MM related books.

2. What was the first book you got? Did you buy it yourself or did someone give it to you?
If I remember correctly it was Clark Kidder's Cover to Cover, my dad bought it for me.

I am waiting for the new Eve Arnold book to be released, it will be the next book I buy.

I dont think so, I adore all my books.

I really want to get Marilyn By Moonlight

Marilyn Monroe: The Complete Last Sitting I love this book because this is my favorite sets of photos ever taken of Marilyn. This book contains all the shots from the 3 sessions and has a lot of wonderful insight into the shoot.

Milton's Marilyn Milton Greene took some of the most beautiful pictures of Marilyn and this book show cases some of his best shots. I havent had a chance to read the text, but I am sure after I do... I will love it even more.

Marilyn: The Ultimate Look At The Legend James Haspiel has some of the most beautiful pictures of Marilyn in this book. Again like Milton's Marilyn I havent had a chance to read it yet, but it is still one of my top books based just on the pictures.

7. Recommend one book that hasn't been recommended by anyone who has taken this survey before you:
I would have to reccomend the Christies Catelog from the 1999 auction. It is a fabulous book filled with 100's of images of the personal property of Marilyn. It gives you a nice feel to Marilyn's personal life.

I havent come across a book I didnt like...

9. Any interesting stories about your books (how you got them, do they mean something special to you, anything)?
Most of my books are picture books or books with a lot of pictures... I like to open my books and look at the pictures when I get depressed. They help cheer me up. Marilyn's beautiful smile can make anyone feel better.

This post has been edited by wootness: May 27 2005, 07:44 PM

+Quote Post
Mandydolphin
post May 27 2005, 07:45 PM
Post #5
Mandy

Group Icon

It was Goddess and I bought it myself.First I borrowed a copy of a classmate and then I bought my own

Marilyn The New York Years:Sam Shaw

The many lives of MM:Sarah Churchwell

Marilyn,A Hollywood Farewell

1)Goddess:Anthony Summers(this book made me interested in Marilyn's life)
2)The complete Marilym:Adam Victor(although not always correct a great book with lots of information)
3)The personal property of MM:Christies(it makes me feel close to Marilyn).

Marilyn,the ultimate look at the legend:James Haspiel

Blonde

I really wanted to get the Christies book but I couldn't get it anywhere until I was in Ny and just happen to see a copy.I kept it with my in my handluggage because I was too scrared that my luggage would get lost and I would lose my precious book.And Goddess is also special.That was my first book.

This post has been edited by Mandydolphin: May 27 2005, 07:47 PM

+Quote Post
Tara
post May 28 2005, 06:40 PM
Post #6
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

19, and one on the way. I used to have more, but have moved a lot and had to let some go.

Conversations With Marilyn by WJ Weatherby. My dad gave it to me when I was about 13.

I'm eagerly awaiting my copy of MM: A Composite View, by Edward Wagenknecht.

Joe And Marilyn: A Memory Of Love by Roger Kahn. Fortunately, I didn't buy it myself.

Right now I have my sights set on George Carpozi's MM: Her Own Story.

MM: The Biography by Donald Spoto. Overall I think it's probably the best biography.
Conversations With Marilyn - the first MM book I read.
The Unabridged Marilyn - a huge book, full of facts.

My Story by Marilyn Monroe

Ted Jordan's Norma Jean: A Love Story

Conversations With Marilyn, again. My first MM book, I read it one summer in Ireland. I didn't know many people there and reading it made me feel less lonely. That's how I became a fan.

+Quote Post
Nina
post May 28 2005, 08:01 PM
Post #7
♥ gipsy girl

Group Icon

1. How many Marilyn books do you have? +/- 200

2. What was the first book you got? Did you buy it yourself or did someone give it to you? Goddess by Anthony Summers. I bought it by myself.

Still waiting for the new Eve Arnold book. I've ordered it the last week.

40 Days with Marilyn Monroe by Lembourn.

I'm still looking for Leigh Wiener's Marilyn, A Hollywood Farewell but it's hard to get. I also wanted to have Stacy's book because I can tell you for sure, you'll call this your Marilyn Bible (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Marilyn Monroe, The Biography by Donald Spoto. Well, of all existing biographies I think this one is the best researched. So far there have been no better one be published.
The DDGroup, An Online Investigation Into the Death Of Marilyn Monroe by David Marshall. Oh god, I love this book! It asked the right questions and I wish I would have been discovered this group much earlier. I like to know each others opinions and thoughts about the circumstances around her death.
Christies Catalog I find it great to see what things Marilyn loved to have around her, she had many things I really like too. I'm not so interested in knowing, what bra's she had, but what books she reed, the records she loved to hear, those are things I found very exciting.

7. Recommend one book that hasn't been recommended by anyone who has taken this survey before you: Marilyn, An Untold Story by Norman Rosten. Even if it's a small one, it's one of my fav. Inside are Norman's memories about a wonderful Marilyn he knew, some of her poetry and other little facts.

The Murderer of Marilyn Monroe by Leonore Canevari

9. Any interesting stories about your books (how you got them, do they mean something special to you, anything)? Conversations with Marilyn by W.J. Weatherby. It's a long time ago I've stared to read it the first time but couldn't because my english wasn't that good. I find it hard to read and put it away... and later, I started again and thought... oh, you had such a great book in your shelf, it's a pitty I didn't find out earlier (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) and when I read Goddess the second time, I disliked the book! Something never happend before. And I remember the moment, when I had the first time the Christies Catalog in my hands. I had tears in my eyes watching all her personal things...

This post has been edited by Nina: May 28 2005, 08:04 PM

+Quote Post
Fav
post Jul 19 2005, 10:47 PM
Post #8
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

About 42 give or take a few on the plus side of things.

Goddess by Anthony Summers. Bought it myself.

Hmm, nothing in mind at the moment. Have toyed with the idea of the Norman Rosten book. Always on the lookout for the next new book with new photos but I guess they will run out eventually.

Not totally. I regret reading the text of the Bert Stern Last Sitting book. Creepy. I also regret seeing the photos she did not want to be published as it was disrespectful of her.

Nothing on the horizon at the moment.

Goddess: The secret Lives of Marilyn Monroe
This was my first introduction to details of the life of Marilyn Monroe. I was a teenager when I read it and it made a huge impact on me.

Marilyn - The Ultimate Look At The Legend
You really feel like you get close to Marilyn with this book. It is wonderful to hear a story about her from this perspective as you almost think 'hey it could be me!' if I had lived in that era, in NY etc etc lol. I love the first hand experience stories. They are just charming and it brings that point in time to life for me.

Difficult to choose the 3rd but : Marilyn Mon Amour
Purely for the photos. The beach shots are amazing. Full of life, grace and vitality, the freshness of those photos never lose that feeling of energy and beauty. You can never grow tired of looking at them.

Marilyn Mon Amour by Andre De Dienes. The text is interesting enough but the photographs are wonderful.

Marilyn Monroe Confidential by Lena Pepitone. I am standing as judge and jury to a book I have never read, so on reputation alone, I vote for this and am glad I've not handed over money for it.

My Christies auction catalogue from '99. I recall standing in the queue at Christies in London and queueing for about 3 hours to get in. I got talking to several Marilyn fans around me and the staff there about the catalogue. It cost a lot of money to get it, somewhere around £50 I think but I recall the exact moment standing on the stairs to go in to view her belongings that I decided to put the order in for it. I received it several weeks later and it was worth every penny. Viewing Marilyn's belongings at close quarters was beyond magic and that book helps me to remember that special day as there was no way I was going to be able to actually afford any of the items in it. For those reasons alone, it is special to me.

+Quote Post
Robby
post Dec 4 2005, 08:52 PM
Post #9
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I have 59 books.

Donald Spoto's biography, I bought it from my own pocket money.

I don't know, I have quite a big list!

Sam Toperoff's 'Queen of Desire', it's incorrect and insulting.

I can't choose!

Donald Spoto: Marilyn Monroe, it's the best biography I have read to date.

The Unabridged Marilyn: Neil Hitchens and Randall Reise, for all the facts.

The Marilyn Encyclopedia: Adam Victor, for the pictures and facts.

I quite like 'Unabridged Marilyn'.

Sam Toperoff's 'Queen of Desire'. It started off good, but later on it was insulting, I really can't believe the writer was so obsessed with MM's sexlife.

9. Any interesting stories about your books?

I was at the local bookshop in our town, which NEVER has books about Marilyn. And when I browsed some books at the 'Low Prices Books' corner, I saw 'My sister: Marilyn' and I really wanted it, so I asked my mum and father, and they bought it for me, and I am so happy with it (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) .
--------------------

EDITED: October, 28, '08

This post has been edited by Robby: Oct 24 2012, 10:24 PM

+Quote Post
Natalie
post Dec 22 2005, 04:25 AM
Post #10
...I could have loved you once and even said it...

Group Icon

This is a fun idea! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/throb.gif)

1. How many Marilyn books do you have? I have almost seventy...and that's not counting books I bought because they had photos/chapters/mentions of MM! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/jumpymm.gif)

2. What was the first book you got? "Marilyn Among Friends" My mom had seen me ooh-ing and ahh-ing over it in a window display and bought it for me for Christmas long ago.

3. What book are you going to get next? Depends on what I find!

4. Any books you regret buying? "MM: Murder, Cover up" by Milo Speriglio because he talks too much about himself!

"Marilyn, A Hollywood Farewell" because it seems so sought after, it has peaked my curiosity.

1. Marilyn Among Friends because it was my very first MM book
2. The Christie's auction catalog because it has tons of lovely photos of MM's belongings
3. The big Marilyn boxed set by Andre De Dienes because I had to work hard to be able to afford it!

7. Recommend one book that hasn't been recommended by anyone who has taken this survey before you: "Marilyn the Biography" by Norman Mailer, strictly for the photos!

8. Throw rocks at one book: I think I'd throw rocks at "Marilyn's Last Words" Because I don't believe the transcripts of the "secret tapes" have any credibility. Although it's been a while since I've read that book, so I could be wrong! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes1.gif)

9. Any interesting stories about your books (how you got them, do they mean something special to you, anything)? Everyone close to me has contributed to my MM book collection at some point!

+Quote Post
Margherita
post Apr 14 2006, 09:25 PM
Post #11
Ultimate fan

Group Icon

QUOTE(Natalie @ Dec 22 2005, 04:25 AM) *

I've had about 20, about 5 have been lost or stolen, but luckily not the best ones, only some minor cash-makers.

2. What was the first book you got?

I don't quite remember was it Janice Andersson's "Marilyn" or Bert Stern's "Last Sitting". - The first book I ever read about Marilyn was Norman Mailer's "Marilyn" but I borrowed it from library.

Some glamorous picture book, and maybe Michelle Morgan's new one.

4. Any books you regret buying? I don't regret on buying any of the big picture books.But yes, some of the low quality books thrown full of not very interesting pictures (as a whole) with actually nothing to say, meaning obviously do the book only for money - but those are the books somebody sneaked from me or some of them I've left somewhere, so I don't care...

A book that would contain all the pictures taken during the shooting of The Misfits. I especially like pictures of Marilyn and Clark Gable together. But I don't know does such book exist?

1. George Barris: "Marilyn - Norma Jeane", because of the pictures and the Pacific Ocean-feeling, the Gloria Steinem's text has little to give
2. Bert Stern: The Last Sitting" - it's so cool
3. Andre de Dienes: "Marilyn Mon Amour", this book is a fabulous piece of art in itself, even if the young woman in the pictures weren't Marilyn, it would be great with the quality of the pictures and their style and shockingly acute feeling, but as it is Marilyn, it's just overwhelming to look at the joy of life and energy in them, and yes, the last pages of the book are rather sad, Marilyn walking in dark alleys hair cut short, pale, melancholy. Is it afterwisdom to think that she might have somehow foreseen her future?

7. Recommend one book that hasn't been recommended by anyone who has taken this survey before you: Randall Reise: The Unabridged Marilyn from A to Z

[b]9. Any interesting stories about your books (how you got them, do they mean something special to you, anything)? They've all inspired me a lot, and I don't even tell all the people I meet I have these books, becaus these Marilyn-books are my dearest books, and I don't want to borrow them, people don't allways return the books they've borrowed.
My late father also liked to seize through all the new books I had bought, they allways gave him inspiration too.
Many times when I've been depressed I've started to read or look at the pictures in some Marilyn book, and it's allways inspiring. Beauty of course, and then something else, vibrance, mystery, style.

This post has been edited by Ultraviolet: Aug 14 2012, 07:02 PM

+Quote Post
suusmarie
post Apr 16 2006, 01:54 AM
Post #12
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

1. How many Marilyn books do you have? About 300.

2. What was the first book you got? Did you buy it yourself or did someone give it to you? Marilyn Among Friends from Sam Shaw and Norman Rosten. I saw it just after my interest in Marilyn had begun (I was 12 then) and my mom bought it for me.

3. What book are you going to get next? I just ordered a signed copy of the Spoto biography.

4. Any books you regret buying? Not really. I am such a book-a-holic that I even want the bad ones in my collection (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/blush.gif) .

5. What book do you dream of getting some day? The 1953 Marilyn Monroe Story from Franklin-Palmer.

6. Name your three favorite Marilyn books (and why): 1. The biography by Donald Spoto, aldo not entirely flawless it remains a great book, written with respect in my opinion. 2. The 1999 Christies Auction book, which gives an very different impression of MM the person thru her belongings. 3. The Haspiel books, not for the text but for the great photos.

7. Recommend one book that hasn't been recommended by anyone who has taken this survey before you: Norma Jean by Fred Lawrence Guiles, the 1969 edition. This is probably the second best biography written on her I think.

8. Throw rocks at one book: I really dislike Slatzer and his works (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/yuk.gif) .

9. Any interesting stories about your books (how you got them, do they mean something special to you, anything)? One day I was standing in an Amsterdam bookstore on the look-out for MM books. I decided to ask the shop-owner if he had any. As I asked about MM books a man turned to me and said he was Guus Luyters, author of some MM books. We got into conversation which ended in me visiting him at his home were we talked about MM for hours and I looked at his collection. He finally gave me a dummycopy and the printsheets of one of his books and signed some others (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/mf_w00t1.gif) !! It was a good day (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) !!

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/hug.gif) Suus

This post has been edited by suusmarie: Apr 17 2006, 01:43 AM

+Quote Post
hollywoodcindere...
post Dec 24 2006, 01:32 AM
Post #13
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

22 and growing!

The Marilyn Album - bought it at K-Mart for $10 AUD as a Christmas present to myself in 2004. Tho - I remember looking through my mum's bio of her [goddess] when I was a kid

Marilyn: Unseen Archive or An Evening with Marilyn

Hm.... none so far. Im steering clear of "I slept with Marliyn" books tho, those don't interest me.

Marliyn Monroe: The Life The Myth

The Marliyn Handbook - Jammed paked with info & photos -- i just love it! and The Last Sitting -- Love the photos, esp close um and you can see her freakles/age spots. It says ture beauty to me. and lastly.... Marilyn Among Friends - this book always makes me smile becasue she looks so happy and carefree.

7. Recommend one book that hasn't been recommended by anyone who has taken this survey before you: If your new to Marliyn and want to learn about her, I saw the Marliyn Handbook. It's so easy to read and has a time line in the front and back covers which is great for easy reference. Lots of nice photos and photos relating to her after her death etc. Just a great little book!

I havent read Blonde, and I have no intention of. I saw the film and I was so dissapointed. AWFUL, so I assume the book is too.

I got the last sitting for $12 USD on eBay. I was so thrilled! It was listed as "FOUR BOOKS ON MARILYN MONROE" and it was included in it. I bid of the lot of 4 books [i think the others were marliyn confidential, monroe life in pictures and a film book] for $17.21 USD and told the guy im only after the last sitting and if i can have that one shipped to Australia [cheaper than all 4 books and i wasnt really interesed in the others or i had them already], he said sure and i'll only charge you $12 for the last sitting - was soooo happpy!

+Quote Post
Kiddo
post Jan 9 2007, 09:02 PM
Post #14
Marilyn nut

Group Icon

6... not so many, but I definitely are going to get hold on more... When I was younger I used to borrow the books at the library...

This Danish book called "Marylin Monroe - som jordbær med fløde" (means "Marilyn Monroe - like strawberries with cream")... I got it really cheap and I actually bougt two copies so that I could cut pictures out of one of them and hang them up on my wall : (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/blush.gif)

I just ordered the "Cursum Perficio: Marilyn Monroe's Brentwood Hacienda" book and really look forward to get it!

No, I don't have enough to regret any of them (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes1.gif)

Hmm... The Christie's auction catalog...

1: Donald Spoto's Marilyn Monroe book
2: Marilyn Among Friends by Sam Shaw and Norman Rosten
3: The Marilyn Handbook by Mike Evans

I don't think anyone has recommanded Spoto's book yet...

Blonde by Joyce Carol Oates... I started reading it, but didn't finsh because I didn't like it... But one day I should maybe try to read it...

Well, today I just bought Spoto's book and Marilyn Among Friends in a second-hand book store for like no money. Spoto's book is devided into two books here in Denmark. I got these two books and the Among Friends one for like 11 £ (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/mf_w00t1.gif)

+Quote Post
LostHurlyFan
post Jan 15 2007, 11:30 PM
Post #15
Marilyn Fan Forever

Group Icon

Hey guys
I thought a little Marilyn Monroe book survey would be interesting. I just made this up myself

1. How many Marilyn books do you have? I have over 50 books close to 60

2. What was the first book you got? The first book I bought for myself was George Barris's book

3. What book are you going to get next? Marilyn in Art Book and A few others

4. Any books you regret buying? NO not at all

5. What book do you dream of getting some day? Box set of Some like It Hot

6. Name your three favorite Marilyn books (and why): Bert Stern's The Last Sitting!! Marilyn to me is just stunning!

7. Recommend one book that hasn't been recommended by anyone who has taken this survey before you: PRETTY MUCH ALL OF THEM. Each one has something different to add. But I would have to say Donald Spoto's biography about Marilyn.

8. Throw rocks at one book: Sarah Chuchills book about Marilyn soooooo boring!!

9. Any interesting stories about your books (how you got them, do they mean something special to you, anything)? No not really. (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/blush.gif)

+Quote Post
Garbo20
post Nov 29 2007, 03:41 PM
Post #16
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) I only have one book.

+Quote Post
sugar_kane
post Dec 1 2007, 12:42 AM
Post #17

Group Icon

Five

Marilyn Monroe - unseen archive, bought myself.

Probably James Haspiel next cause Ive read parts of it after seeing it in a bookstore in town and it looks quite interesting.

Not really, but am I the only one who didnt particularly like Anthony summers book much?? maybe cause it wasnt one I read first....

5. Throw rocks at one book:

The few books i've come across from people in mm life that have sold their story. I didnt bother buying or reading though...

-Even though the book is based on the controversial topic of the murder of Marilyn Monroe (whether or not you agree with what is written), personally one of the books I enjoyed reading was The assassination of MM, I thought it was a pretty thorough account of her life, biography wise.

+Quote Post
Ms-Monroe
post Jan 7 2008, 10:18 PM
Post #18
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

9 I think. I'm not around my collection so I'm not able to count them.

2. What was the first book you got?Did you buy it yourself or did someone give it to you?
Marilyn Among Friends by Sam Shaw and Norman Rosten. It was given to me as a Christmas present years ago.

Platinum Fox

I got 4 novels from a second hand shop and Norma Jean by Ted Jordan was one of them. It's a piece of trash.

Platinum Fox, Conversations with Marilyn, The Last Sitting and the Marilyn Handbook

Marilyn Monroe: Private and Undisclosed, My Story and Marilyn Among Friends

I'm too lazy to scroll up and see all the books that have been recommended. I will recommend Private and Undisclosed.

Norma Jean by Ted Jordan.

Marilyn Among Friends was my very first MM book so it means a lot to me because of that. Coffee with Marilyn and the Secret Letters of MM and JK mean a lot because they were both gifts that were given to me because the gift givers thought of me as soon as they saw them. Marilyn Monroe: Private and Undisclosed and My Story mean a lot to me because my fiance bought them for me because he said I loved to see me happy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

+Quote Post
abeautifulchild
post May 15 2008, 05:22 AM
Post #19
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

1. How many Marilyn books do you have? 38

It was Norman Mailer's Marilyn! A first edition copy too (apparently)! I found it in an antique shop in SLC, Utah when I was visiting family and the owner of the shop was a big MM fan, he said he had been a fan since 1953 ( (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shock.gif) ) and has been collecting mostly since her death. I also got Marilyn Among Friends by Sam Shaw and Norman Rosten there at another time; both books were in mint condition! He also had great framed, big photographs of Marilyn as Jean Harlow and Lillian Russell but they were both $300 and up so I couldn't get them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/no.gif)
I'm going back to UT to visit again this summer, I hope this guy has some new stuff for me!

Sam Shaw's 'Marilyn Monroe As The Girl'

4. Any books you regret buying? No, because I would like to read everything about Marilyn ever written if possible!
Edit: YES! THE LENA PEPITONE BOOK IS COMPLETE SHIT! I learned the hard way.

5. What book do you dream of getting some day? A Hollywood Farewell by Leigh Weiner, Marilyn Monroe as The Girl: The Candid Picture Making of The Seven Year Itch by Sam Shaw, Marilyn Monroe: The Life, The Myth, Christie's Personal Property of Marilyn Monroe, Taschen's Some Like It Hot

Not in any particular order-

1. Marilyn: Her Life in Her Own Words by George Barris and Marilyn Monroe- His Santa Monica beach shoot is my favorite of all Marilyn photographs, also I love hearing about 'her life in her own words.'

2. Cursum Perficio: The Story of Marilyn Monroe's Brentwood Hacienda and Her Final Days- I love reading about Marilyn's home, I know she loved it and it was so important to her. Also, the Marilyn of the 1960s is completely fascinating to me. Marilyn really comes alive in this book and anyway, everyone should buy it because part of the proceeds will be going to a children's charity!

3. Marilyn: The Untold Story by Norman Rosten- This book is Marilyn the person, not the legend. One of the best I have ever read and possibly my favorite.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/throb.gif) Marilyn: The Untold Story by Norman Rosten!
Edit: Oops, I see it has already been recommended...
Oh well, it's still my best recommendation anyhow!

8. Throw rocks at one book: See Q#4!

9. Any interesting stories about your books (how you got them, do they mean something special to you, anything)? See Q#1! And also- once I was really down in the dumps and I was forced to go to this Salvation Army-type store with a friend and I did not want to go: turns out I happened to find Michelle Morgans' Private and Undisclosed (!!! It was so odd, since that is a fairly new book too!) among heaps of cheap romance novels! It couldn't have come at a better possible time too, I was naturally so happy and surprised! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jumpymm.gif)

This post has been edited by abeautifulchild: Dec 31 2008, 09:03 PM

+Quote Post
Tiina
post May 15 2008, 02:19 PM
Post #20
Ihana, ihanampi, Marilyn.

Group Icon

47 books.

The first book I got was Spoto’s. I got it as a birthday present. It's a second hand book.

Richard Buskin’s Blonde Heat has been on top of my list for a very long time. I actually ordered it already but then my order was cancelled! I think next time when I’ll make a book order I will definitely include this one in it. And maybe I will finally even have it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Bert Stern’s Last Sitting was a bit of a disappointment to me. Some of the photos were presented in odd colours which didn’t do any justice to Marilyn. I also got a bad vibe from the text. And since I was going to buy the Complete Last Sitting in the future anyway, I decided to sell this book. I also regretted buying and sold Kidder’s A Comprehensive Guide To The Memorabilia Of An American Legend. It’s not a bad book at all, but I already had Putting A Price On The Priceless Performer and so I realized that I didn’t really need them both. The person who bought it from me was very happy as she had been looking for that book for a very long time and that made me happy too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jumpymm.gif)

Frederic Cabanas’ Marilyn Monroe in Spain is one of my dream books which I will hopefully be able to add into my collection soon! And of course I dream of those huge boxes that contain lots of stuff on top of the book; Andre de Dienes/Steve Crist: Marilyn and Billy Wilder’s Some Like It Hot.

Christie's: Personal Property of Marilyn Monroe is probably my favourite, because it’s so unique and beautifully made. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/throb.gif) It was quite pricey and it’s still the most expensive book I have in my collection, so I always take very, very good care of it (I flip it through with gloves lol!). It has a lot of sentimental value to me as well. Even if it was an expensive buy, I was actually able to get a brand new copy for a nice price and from a very friendly person who happened to be a real Marilyn fan as well. We changed many emails even after the order was completed and he shared me his novel he had written about Marilyn that he hadn't yet shared with anyone before and that was really cool. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

Norman Rosten: Marilyn, An Untold Story is a book I really enjoyed reading. It’s beautifully written and gives a unique look into Marilyn, the person. It showed me the Marilyn who I love and admire.

Marilyn, Her Life In Her Own Words gave me chills. I got tears in my eyes while reading this book. To me this is more than a book, it’s like you get to have a private conversation with Marilyn herself.

Roger Taylor’s Marilyn In Art. I have the second edition and I love it, I flip it through again and again. These books are so unique. I wish I will some day be able to have the first edition as well!

From my collection I’d throw rocks at Summers’ book. It’s just so scandalous and not very respectfully written. I only bought it because it was the first book I ever read about her, so it has some sentimental value to me.

Read my answers under question six. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/balloon.gif)

This post has been edited by Tiina: Jul 1 2008, 05:16 AM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2019 - 09:39 AM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.