Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :

> Read before you post anything

May 6th 2005 : NEW RULES!

Before you start to post here, please remember that this is the place to ask only questions related to a photo or photographer, dates or events etc. It's not the right forum to post requests for/like

- bigger sizes
- without the watermark
- more from this session etc.

Those (for example) belong to the "Pictures Requests" subforum.

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Movie Star World Series Baseball Game July 9, 1949, At Wrigley Field - Chicago, IL
Share |
meganmarilyn
post May 9 2005, 03:04 AM
Post #1
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I am trying to get more information on this event. I have heard Marilyn was on a Love Happy promotional tour at the time. Marilyn is standing in a crowd of people, next to her is a man named Joe Murphy (either the guy on her right who is probably the manager of the White Sox, or the Chief on the left with his arm around her).

I saw that there is a short video clip too of Marilyn smiling in the dougout.

This post has been edited by meganmarilyn: Oct 21 2015, 06:52 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File With_Joe_Murphy_at_Film_Stars_WSeries_Bball_Game_conjw_LHappy_Tour___Comiskey_Park__07_1949_.jpg ( 112.52K )Number of downloads: 155
Attached File MM_142.jpg ( 16.71K )Number of downloads: 139
Attached File _1949_07_09__The_Chicago_Herold_American.jpg ( 95.72K )Number of downloads: 114
Attached File At_baseaball_game_03.jpg ( 68.7K )Number of downloads: 117
Attached File 54532891.jpg ( 165.04K )Number of downloads: 92

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mandydolphin
post May 9 2005, 09:34 AM
Post #2
Mandy

Group Icon

I have only seen the first picture you posted but know nothing about the where,when etc.

+Quote Post
sabine
post May 9 2005, 04:35 PM
Post #3
sabine

Group Icon

Well, looks like you know quite a bit already... (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes1.gif) .....Comiskey Park, Chicago, July 1949....don't know what else we could add to that.....

sabine PS: Thanks for the Info, by the way! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/thumbup1.gif)

+Quote Post
meganmarilyn
post May 9 2005, 05:15 PM
Post #4
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/throb.gif)

This post has been edited by meganmarilyn: Apr 23 2011, 10:03 PM

+Quote Post
sabine
post May 9 2005, 06:00 PM
Post #5
sabine

Group Icon

Yes, the promo tour for "love happy" in July of 1949...Marilyn went to Chicago as well as New York.
The studio figured nbobody wanted to see the Marx brothers but they surely would want to see pretty starlet Marilyn Monroe!..so she was sent, even though her Role was tiny in the Movie itself.

sabine

+Quote Post
meganmarilyn
post Apr 23 2011, 10:21 PM
Post #6
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Gus Zernial: One of the Best Baseball Players No One Remembers
He Played with the Greats and was Friends with Marilyn Monroe

Jul 20, 2007

Gus Zernial's greatest achievement in major league baseball was probably when he led the American League in home runs in 1951. He was a power-hitting outfielder who never played for a first division team, but he hit
Gus Zernial 237 career homers and batted .265. His nickname was Ozark Ike, based on a popular comic strip at the time. From 1951 to 1957, only Mickey Mantle hit more round trippers in the AL. In 1951, Zernial hit 33 home runs, and in 1953, he had his best power year with 42. He played for the A's in Philadelphia and Kansas City; then with the White Sox and Detroit. Although he was a great hitter, his fielding was far than spectacular. Twice during his career he broke his collarbone chasing down fly balls.

Norma Jean and Ozark Ike: While with the White Sox in 1949, a young starlet by the name of Marilyn Monroe came to the ballpark to do a pictorial for a National Enquire-type magazine. Gus remembered that she was "such a nice girl." "She asked a bunch of questions about baseball...she was really interested in the game." Zernial said that he was perplexed later when they made her look less than wholesome in many of her films. When DiMaggio started dating Monroe years later, they asked Joltin' Joe about Marilyn and Gus, and the Yankee Clipper made a disparaging remark about Zernial, something to the effect that "Marilyn would never date a bush leaguer like Zernial". For some reason known to only Joe, DiMag held a grudge against Zernial until the day he died.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/3...all.html?cat=49

+Quote Post
meganmarilyn
post Apr 26 2011, 11:07 PM
Post #7
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Well MM and the other girl pictured are wearing the same shirt and shorts (4th photo). So they have a uniform per say. I don't know why this can't be the Film stars game.

Hey, could you post the pictures of the ticket and program? Love to see that. wow.

QUOTE(jennie2000 @ Apr 26 2011, 02:48 PM) *
Megan I think there were two events in Chicago, the pictures/ footage above on June 7 1949 at Comiskey Park (on the way by train to the East) and another, the Film Star's World Series at Wrigley Field in Chicago on July 9 (pic 3/ check shirt pics/ on the way by train back to CA maybe...)
The world series thing was definitely at Wrigley Field Chicago July 9 (I have a picture of the ticket and program) and I have the above pictures dated June 7... (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/balloon.gif)

This post has been edited by meganmarilyn: Apr 26 2011, 11:36 PM

+Quote Post
meganmarilyn
post Apr 29 2011, 10:04 PM
Post #8
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

This post has been edited by meganmarilyn: Nov 26 2015, 03:00 AM

+Quote Post
meganmarilyn
post Jan 5 2012, 12:02 PM
Post #9
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

For the event at Comiskey Park - Chicago, IL. July 1949. Marilyn in shorts and hat.

I am confused. Was this in 1948 or 1949? On the website below, there are photos from this event, and of MM with actor Roddy McDowall going to Ricketts' Nightclub in Chicago 1948. Same timeframe as the baseball event.

Can anyone confirm this date 1948 as the baseball event? Or is it 1949?
http://www.marilynmonroe-photos.com/order-photos.html

This post has been edited by meganmarilyn: Jan 5 2012, 07:57 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File marilyn_monroe_1a.jpg ( 90.8K )Number of downloads: 69
Attached File marilyn_monroe_4a.jpg ( 105.22K )Number of downloads: 105
Attached File marilyn_monroe_12a.jpg ( 92.24K )Number of downloads: 85

+Quote Post
CYRILPARIS
post Jan 5 2012, 05:50 PM
Post #10
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(meganmarilyn @ Jan 5 2012, 12:02 PM) *
For the event at Comiskey Park - Chicago, IL. July 7, 1949. Marilyn in shorts and hat.

I am confused. Was this in 1948 or 1949? On the website below, there are photos from this event, and of MM with actor Roddy McDowall going to Ricketts' Nightclub in Chicago 1948. Same timeframe as the baseball event.

Can anyone confirm this date 1948 as the baseball event? Or is it 1949?
http://www.marilynmonroe-photos.com/order-photos.html

It's in 1949 for promotional Love Happy movie on East cost.

+Quote Post
meganmarilyn
post Jan 5 2012, 06:09 PM
Post #11
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(CYRILPARIS @ Jan 5 2012, 08:50 AM) *
It's in 1949 for promotional Love Happy movie on East cost.

Yes, but the website says 1948. With newly discovered photos. That's why I am confused.

+Quote Post
meganmarilyn
post Jan 5 2012, 07:49 PM
Post #12
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(jennie2000 @ Jan 5 2012, 10:18 AM) *
They also say it was "on this occasion that she met future husband, Joe DiMaggio", and "Undoubtedly, these copyright-protected photos will be the last professional photos of Marilyn to be unearthed"...
It's just some money-hungry relative/ friend of the original photographer who hasn't got a clue about Marilyn. Go to the About page, they won't even say who they are.
Beautiful pictures though.

Ya. I guess it must be 1949. Why else would she be in the midwest (Chicago) in 1948? The Love happy tour makes sense.

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Jan 6 2012, 02:17 AM
Post #13
Daisy

Group Icon

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif)

These are awesome. Thanks Megan.

+Quote Post
Stacy
post Jan 6 2012, 06:16 AM
Post #14
Dearest Poo...

Group Icon

Thanks Jennie for sharing your ticket and program of the event. Amazing.
Also, thanks Meagan for the pics you shared.

+Quote Post
Stacy
post Jan 7 2012, 06:08 AM
Post #15
Dearest Poo...

Group Icon

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/marilynbybrandon_190.gif)
Attached File(s)
Attached File 490709_Chicago_Herald_American_MM_as_Bat_Girl.jpg ( 58.54K )Number of downloads: 85

+Quote Post
Jim Parson
post Jun 11 2012, 03:22 PM
Post #16
Super admirer

Group Icon

I ran across this thread and am looking for some clarification of Jennie2000's post. Jennie states there were two events, but I'm unfamiliar with the event held at Comiskey Park in June 1949. It appears to me that all the pictures from the original post were from the Film Star World Series on July 9, 1949. The pictures of Marilyn in her bat girl uniform appear to be taken in front of the Wrigley Field dugout. Here's a picture of the Wrigley dugout in 1949...

Attached File Clip_11_Wrigley_dugout.jpg ( 250.13K )Number of downloads: 57

It appears to be the same as the one they are standing in front of. In addition, you can see the seats behind them in the stands, which appear to be the same as the seats from Wrigley...

Attached File Clip_12_Wrigley_seats.jpg ( 139.09K )Number of downloads: 42

So if all the pictures were taken at Wrigley, I have to assume they are all from the July 9th event. Does anyone have any information on the June event Jennie was referring to?

+Quote Post
linkeando
post Jun 23 2012, 07:53 PM
Post #17
I´ll follow her... always

Group Icon

¿world series? which means that Marilyn was invited in 1948 and 1952, am I right?

+Quote Post
Jim Parson
post Jun 23 2012, 09:35 PM
Post #18
Super admirer

Group Icon

QUOTE(linkeando @ Jun 23 2012, 11:53 AM) *
¿world series? which means that Marilyn was invited in 1948 and 1952, am I right?

I think you may be mistaking the term "World Series" to mean the Major League Baseball World Series held every year to determine the baseball championship, Jeannette. To my knowledge, Marilyn never attended the World Series. It can also sometimes be used just as an expression. That's the case with the Film Stars World Series in Chicago on July 9, 1949, and the case with the Out of this World Series event held at Gilmore Field in Los Angeles on September 15, 1952. Both are just using the term "World Series", but neither was associated with the actual World Series of baseball. Hope this helps.

This post has been edited by nightxposed: Jun 23 2012, 09:36 PM

+Quote Post
linkeando
post Jun 25 2012, 06:31 PM
Post #19
I´ll follow her... always

Group Icon

excuse my stupidity, but I don´t know your culture, and it´s so difficult to understand and apply it to the photos ... (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/wink3.gif)

+Quote Post
Jim Parson
post Jun 25 2012, 07:33 PM
Post #20
Super admirer

Group Icon

QUOTE(linkeando @ Jun 25 2012, 10:31 AM) *
excuse my stupidity, but I don´t know your culture, and it´s so difficult to understand and apply it to the photos ... (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/wink3.gif)

Stupid? No! I think you are one of the more logical and thorough fans on this site. There's a lot of conflicting information in this post, but I believe ALL the photos you see in this thread are from the Film Stars World Series at Wrigley Field in 1949. I'm not aware of ANY event at Comiskey Park in 1949. People talk about the White Sox and Gus Zernial, but that all happened in March 1951 and has nothing to do with the Film Stars World Series or with the promotional tour for "Love Happy". If anyone has anything on an event at Comiskey Park in 1949, please correct me and further my education.

I love how diligent you are at always trying to get to the truth, Jeannette!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th September 2020 - 01:23 AM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.