Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :

> Read before you post anything

May 6th 2005 : NEW RULES!

Before you start to post here, please remember that this is the place to ask only questions related to a photo or photographer, dates or events etc. It's not the right forum to post requests for/like

- bigger sizes
- without the watermark
- more from this session etc.

Those (for example) belong to the "Pictures Requests" subforum.

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Marilyn With Susan Strasberg, please post some pics for me
Share |
sabine
post Dec 30 2004, 04:02 AM
Post #1
sabine

Group Icon

Attached File w_s_strasberg_1_.JPG ( 28.31K )Number of downloads: 162
Attached File withsusanstrasberg_1_.JPG ( 317.61K )Number of downloads: 145

Hi...hopefully i can get some answers....i have no clue when the two photos above were taken (with susan strasberg)...is that Sardi's restaurant in N.Y.?
I have also seen pics of two other occasions where Marilyn and susan are photographed together....one for susan's "anne frank" opening in october 1955.....there is another occasion that shows Marilyn with susan.....marilyn is wearing a black dress each time but one has straps, one doesn't....in one pic susan is wearing a dark turtleneck....could somebody post the pics in question please?? THANK YOU

sabine
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mandydolphin
post Dec 30 2004, 06:16 PM
Post #2
Mandy

Group Icon

I have this one if you're looking for more pics with Susan.
Attached File(s)
Attached File Diary_of_Anne_Frank_1955_2.jpg ( 65.71K )Number of downloads: 108

+Quote Post
Nina
post Dec 30 2004, 08:36 PM
Post #3
♥ gipsy girl

Group Icon

Yes Sabine, it's Sardi's Restaurant at Susan's 18th Birthday on May 22, 1956.

Mandy has already posted the photo from the Anne Frank Play and here are some more I have.

The one with Laurence Olivier is before filming The Prince and the Showgirl.

Pictures from the opening night of Anne Frank at Cort Theater are from Oct. 5th, 1955. Please correct me, if I'm wrong!
Attached File(s)
Attached File withLaurenceOlivier_SusanStrasberg.jpg ( 49.48K )Number of downloads: 77
Attached File 1955_Oct05_Anne_Frank_Play_1.jpg ( 10.17K )Number of downloads: 106
Attached File 1955_Oct05_Anne_Frank_Play__Cort_Theater_.jpg ( 116.44K )Number of downloads: 88
Attached File Anne_Frank_Opening_Night.jpg ( 35.33K )Number of downloads: 87

+Quote Post
sabine
post Dec 31 2004, 06:30 PM
Post #4
sabine

Group Icon

Hello....thank you so much for helping out....
Ok, let's make some sense of this: Susan strasberg's birthday party at Sardi's May 22nd 1956...FINALLY SOLVED!!! That made me very happy.. ;-)
Ok, unto the other pics...the one with Lawrence Olivier is from february 1956....
Then there is the one with susan strasberg in a black turtleneck and Marilyn in the black dress with thin straps from the opening of "anne frank" in oct. 1955.....
Now there is only one left to identify....look closely.....there's susan in a white dress and marilyn in a black dress WITHOUT straps....where and when???
It looks like the same room as the "anne frank" pics, doesn't it???
I will post both so we can compare.....
Attached File Anne_Frank_Opening_Night_1_.jpg ( 35.33K )Number of downloads: 66

Ok, this is definetly from the opening of 'Anne frank"...marilyn is wearing the dress with straps and susan is in the black turtleneck.
Attached File 1955_Oct05_Anne_Frank_Play_1_1_.jpg ( 10.17K )Number of downloads: 91

As you can see, Marilyn is in a strapless dress (i have more photos of marilyn arriving for this occasion and she's definetly in a strapless dress) and Susan is in a white dress....susan could have changed into the black turtleneck from this dress, sure...but marilyn changing dresses,too??? Doubt it....
What do we make of this??

sabine

+Quote Post
Stacy
post Dec 31 2004, 10:24 PM
Post #5
Dearest Poo...

Group Icon

Marilyn and Olivier went to see Susan in "Diary" the same night of the press conference for The Sleeping Prince. Feb 9, 1956.

+Quote Post
sabine
post Jan 1 2005, 05:47 PM
Post #6
sabine

Group Icon

Thanks for the Info about Feb. 9th 1956...i always wondered why susan strasberg was in the pics with Olivier and Marilyn and now i know....MANY THANKS!!
Now we just have to figure out my original question...

sabine

+Quote Post
linkeando
post Jan 1 2005, 08:16 PM
Post #7
I´ll follow her... always

Group Icon

sabine, which your question is now?

+Quote Post
sabine
post Jan 2 2005, 05:52 PM
Post #8
sabine

Group Icon

OMG...i am such a knucklehead.....i searched all the available pics and noticed that in the pics where Marilyn wears the "strapless' dress, the straps are actually hanging off her shoulders....isn't that silly?? Lololol....i never noticed it before.
Ok, susan strasberg changed out of the white dress/slip into the black turtleneck after her performance of "anne frank".....

sabine

+Quote Post
Nina
post Jan 2 2005, 06:07 PM
Post #9
♥ gipsy girl

Group Icon

Sabine, are all your questions answered (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/hmm.gif) ? If you say so, I would mark it as solved (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/wink3.gif)

+Quote Post
Stacy
post Jan 2 2005, 10:18 PM
Post #10
Dearest Poo...

Group Icon

So there are three dates
1. May 22, 1955 -- Susan's Birthday Party at Sardi's.
2. Oct. 5, 1955 -- Broadway Opening of The Diary of Anne Frank.
3. February 9, 1956 -- After the Prince and the Showgirl Press
Conference, attended The Diary of Anne Frank

**btw -- Marilyn couldn't have been at Susan's B. Day Party at Sardi's on May 22, 1956 as she was still in Hollywood filming Bus Stop. She didn't return to New York until June 2, 1956.

Does this sound right?!

This post has been edited by chickeyonthego: Jan 2 2005, 10:19 PM

+Quote Post
sabine
post Jan 3 2005, 06:50 PM
Post #11
sabine

Group Icon

chickeyonthego:**btw -- Marilyn couldn't have been at Susan's B. Day Party at Sardi's on May 22, 1956 as she was still in Hollywood filming Bus Stop. She didn't return to New York until June 2, 1956.

Does this sound right?!

Sabine: Wow...hickeyonthego, i never thought of that.....VERY VERY good point there....i will check on this and get back to you all...

+Quote Post
Nina
post Jan 3 2005, 07:07 PM
Post #12
♥ gipsy girl

Group Icon

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/doh.gif) you're absolute right Stacy, 1956 is the right year, I'm dumb (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/doh.gif)

This post has been edited by Nina: Jan 3 2005, 07:08 PM

+Quote Post
Stacy
post Jan 3 2005, 11:05 PM
Post #13
Dearest Poo...

Group Icon

I've looked until I am blue in the face, but I can't find anything about the birthday party, other than a captioned photo, in SusanStrasberg's book. Does anyone know where the reference to the birthday party would be in her book?

+Quote Post
Nina
post Jan 7 2005, 09:39 PM
Post #14
♥ gipsy girl

Group Icon

Sabine, here is another photo of Marilyn, Susan and Lee Strasberg together at the Sardi's Restaurant. This picture came from the Marilyn and the Camera Book and has dated it to 1956. I only posted the pic because you asked for pics of them together (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/wink3.gif)
Attached File(s)
Attached File Sardi__s.jpg ( 71.64K )Number of downloads: 140

+Quote Post
sabine
post Jan 10 2005, 05:34 PM
Post #15
sabine

Group Icon

Hi...thanks for posting that last pic....i have it actually but i am glad you posted it....that was taken in October 1955 (the book it was in mistakingly labeled it as 1956)....
Ok, on to the pic from 'susan's birthday party'.....well, i am totally sure that it couldn't have been taken then because of Marilyn's hairstyle.....and also because Marilyn was in Hollywood working on 'bus stop', as above mentioned....
So, did Marilyn actually attend Susan's birthday party in May 1956?
And.....when exactly was the pic taken of Marilyn in the highneck black dress and susan?

sabine

+Quote Post
Clift
post Jan 19 2005, 05:22 PM
Post #16
Dreaming with a girl

Group Icon

I like the pictures, thanks!!

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/jumpymm.gif)

+Quote Post
nathalie
post Jan 19 2005, 07:32 PM
Post #17
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I read the Susan Strasberg's book.I think that Marilyn was such a sister for Susan.I think that she (Marilyn ) was more fragile that Susan, and she support her. (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/mmmaf_116.gif)

+Quote Post
sabine
post Jan 20 2005, 06:15 PM
Post #18
sabine

Group Icon

Quick update.....the pics with susan in the dressing room and at Sardi's were indeed taken Oct. 5th 1955....in one pic in the dressing room is a bald man with glasses and a bowtie laughing with susan strasberg while marilyn sits off to the right...that's susan's godfather.....
He can be seen sitting next to Marilyn at the backtable at Sardi's with susan sitting at a table up front (in a black turtleneck), with her father Lee Strasberg in a striped tie next to her on one side and director Joshua Logan (bus stop) in a mustache and bow tie on the other side...
The pics of Marilyn and susan holding the artwork was actually not taken on susan's 18th birthday on May 22nd 1956....Marilyn was still working on BUS STOP in Hollywood and didn't return to New York untill June 2nd '56....susan strasberg talks about this herself in one of her books....how Marilyn and Paula strasberg would call every night from L.A. to speak to Lee Strasberg during this time....the pics were taken sometime between June and mid-july '56 (when Marilyn left for England)....

sabine

+Quote Post
Mezzo
post Aug 4 2012, 08:30 AM
Post #19
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Attached File savvy_designs_2009080953458_DSC04862_original.jpg ( 63.83K )Number of downloads: 79

Edit: Now I see that it is cropped from the photo above. Silly me!

This post has been edited by Mezzo: Aug 4 2012, 03:39 PM

+Quote Post
CYRILPARIS
post Aug 21 2013, 12:54 PM
Post #20
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(sabine @ Jan 20 2005, 07:15 PM) *
Quick update.....the pics with susan in the dressing room and at Sardi's were indeed taken Oct. 5th 1955....in one pic in the dressing room is a bald man with glasses and a bowtie laughing with susan strasberg while marilyn sits off to the right...that's susan's godfather.....
He can be seen sitting next to Marilyn at the backtable at Sardi's with susan sitting at a table up front (in a black turtleneck), with her father Lee Strasberg in a striped tie next to her on one side and director Joshua Logan (bus stop) in a mustache and bow tie on the other side...
The pics of Marilyn and susan holding the artwork was actually not taken on susan's 18th birthday on May 22nd 1956....Marilyn was still working on BUS STOP in Hollywood and didn't return to New York untill June 2nd '56....susan strasberg talks about this herself in one of her books....how Marilyn and Paula strasberg would call every night from L.A. to speak to Lee Strasberg during this time....the pics were taken sometime between June and mid-july '56 (when Marilyn left for England)....

sabine

Or may be from november 23th to december 1956...

This post has been edited by CYRILPARIS: Aug 21 2013, 12:58 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File w_s_strasberg_1_.JPG ( 28.31K )Number of downloads: 50
Attached File withsusanstrasberg_1_.JPG ( 317.61K )Number of downloads: 36

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd July 2020 - 11:27 PM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.