Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :

> Read before you post anything

May 6th 2005 : NEW RULES!

Before you start to post here, please remember that this is the place to ask only questions related to a photo or photographer, dates or events etc. It's not the right forum to post requests for/like

- bigger sizes
- without the watermark
- more from this session etc.

Those (for example) belong to the "Pictures Requests" subforum.

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Photos With Sammy Davis Jr.
Share |
Stacy
post Sep 13 2005, 07:53 AM
Post #21
Dearest Poo...

Group Icon

Marilyn and Sammy had known each other since at least 1952.

Great info Nettie. I just ordered that book. I had read it at the library one day. I love the pic you were talking about.
The night of Sammy's Birthday party, December 8th, Sinatra, Bob Neal and his girlfriend and Judy Garland went to the Crescendo club after the party to hear Mel Torme. Sinatra ended up punching the club's publicity director.
The newspaper article never mention anything about Marilyn being in the club or with the party.
I've got the date of the Crescendo Club outing as December 2, 1954. After hearing Mel sing, Sammy, Milton and Marilyn went to the Mocambo Club.
Here is a couple of pics of Milton and MM at the Mocambo Club. You can see that the candles are clearly labled. And Marilyn is wearing her fur coat.
It's turning out to be quite a conundrum.
In the two previously posted pics, it does seem that they are at Ciro's. Thanks to Nettie's detective work.
Sammy seems to be wearing a bandage under his eye-patch. Like the author said he did after first injuring his eye. This could still be in December I guess. They might have all gone to Ciro's...or it could be January 11th.

This post has been edited by chickeyonthego: Sep 13 2005, 02:28 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File For_My_Friends__Marilyn_and_Milton_Greene_at_the_Mocambo_Club.jpg ( 32.69K )Number of downloads: 201
Attached File fmf_Sammy__Milton__Mel_and_Marilyn_b.jpg ( 65.92K )Number of downloads: 167
Attached File fmf_MM_and_Milton.jpg ( 430.98K )Number of downloads: 217

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Sep 14 2005, 05:29 AM
Post #22
Daisy

Group Icon

Thank you Stacy. They sure did party alot during that time. These darn candles and plates have me confused. I guess they were popular at the time. I can see the name on your Mocombo pictures. And Ciro's are marked too, but we cannot see the name in our Sammy pictures. Then I find this 1952 picture of the Mocombo and IT has the same plates. Ah, well.

Man, I have learned alot from the Sammy biography. Amy Greene was friend with Sammy for 30 years, I read, to the very end of his life. In Milton's Marilyn Amy said she was never jealous of Marilyn and that she knew they were not lovers. That was nice. I don't believe they were either. But they sure did love one another. They appear to be so comfortable being themselves together. I like the way they looked together. Nice couple. Why didn't she meet someone like Milton and marry him? Very nice wife Milton had though to trust him enough to do the things that he did. She was obviously very secure in what she had.

What a great life they all seem to have, Frank and and Eva, and everyone. Did you know that both Frank Sinatra and Joe DiMaggio had this thing about being touched? Both responded violently to a simple pat on the back. Very detached. I wonder what happened to them that made them so? So I think I'll drop this issue with the different clubs. I wish I could find pictures from the Crescendo event with Marilyn.

If you do get the book, maybe you can scan our lovely picture of Marilyn and Milton. Nite Nite

This post has been edited by Nettie: Sep 14 2005, 05:34 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File l_at_the_Mocambo_Club_1952.jpg ( 10.66K )Number of downloads: 118

+Quote Post
sabine
post Sep 19 2005, 05:46 PM
Post #23
sabine

Group Icon

Arghhh....confusion!

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

Can somebody put the pics that go together side by side and name the place, date, etc.??
That would be the greatest....my eyes are hurting trying to go back and forth and compare!
I would do this myself but i am afraid of getting it wrong! HELP

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/no.gif)

sabine

+Quote Post
Mandydolphin
post Sep 19 2005, 05:48 PM
Post #24
Mandy

Group Icon

Same here

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Sep 20 2005, 09:14 PM
Post #25
Daisy

Group Icon

Same here guys.

+Quote Post
Stacy
post Sep 20 2005, 09:56 PM
Post #26
Dearest Poo...

Group Icon

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/redsitting.gif) mm

Here is the picture that Nettie was telling us about. And you can see that it's a different night than the one with everyone with eye patches on. Jeff Chandler's tie is different.

This post has been edited by chickeyonthego: Sep 20 2005, 09:59 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File fmf_Sammy_Davis__Tony_Curtis_and_Jeff_Chandler.jpg ( 34.51K )Number of downloads: 102
Attached File fmf_Marilyn__Milton__Jess_Rand__Sammy__Jeff_Chandler__woman.jpg ( 228.46K )Number of downloads: 260

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Sep 21 2005, 03:19 AM
Post #27
Daisy

Group Icon

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif) (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/worshippy.gif)

Oh my God Stacy ! You got the book ! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for sharing it.
I LOVE the picture. Look at how sweet she looks; so shy and ever so snuggled next to Milton. I wonder what Amy Greene thought when she saw it? Milton's face is sweet here too. I think they were wasted maybe. After all, it does appear as if they were on a roll from one party to the other.

These are all from the same day, December 2, 1954. She must have gone to see Mel Torme and then to Rand's house for Rand's own birthday party.

" Days after Sammy was realeased from the hospital in San Bernardino, Jess Rand, on left, hosts a party for him. Film star Jeff Chandler is on Sammy's left. (The woman on Chandler's left was a party crasher; the host had never met her before.) Seated next to Marilyn Monroe is renowned photographer Milton Greene. Whenever Sammy found himself in a photo with Monroe, he would soon begin denying rumors that they were having an affair. The denial was Sammy's way of titillating the tabloits-inasmuch as the rumor found a life only in Sammy's breathless denial of it. "

" On December 2, Jess Rand threw a birthday party for himself, his last as a single man. His wedding to pretty Bonnie Byrnes was a week away. Sammy liked parties; he showed at Jess's wearing his eye patch. Beneath it could be seen a large white bandage still covering the eye. It looked frightful, as did the scar across his face. It seemed as much a coming-out party for Sammy as a birthday party. Many of Rand's and Sammy's friend's were there, giving the evening a feeling of warmth and celebration for both of them. Jeff Chandler looked, as always, smoothly elegant. The breathless woman hudling near photographer Milton Greene was Marilyn Monroe. She wore a black dress with spaghetti straps, and looked both seductive and hazy.

This post has been edited by Nettie: Sep 21 2005, 04:32 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File fmf_Marilyn__Milton__Jess_Rand__Sammy__Jeff_Chandler__woman_1_.jpg ( 228.46K )Number of downloads: 154
Attached File 1b_AfterMelTorme__sShowDecember201954.jpg ( 18.08K )Number of downloads: 168
Attached File 1c.jpg ( 46.62K )Number of downloads: 182
Attached File 1d.jpg ( 10.72K )Number of downloads: 136
Attached File 4b_12_2_4_54_Cresendo.jpeg ( 159.6K )Number of downloads: 216

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Sep 21 2005, 04:00 AM
Post #28
Daisy

Group Icon

These are from Sammy's comeback at Ciros, December 11, 1955.

" On January 11 they climbed into the Cadillac, and rolled through the night air to Ciro's. Will was quiet, Sam Sr. fatherly. They'd done this hundreds of times, all through the years. But never like this- the air alive with anticipation and curiosity. When they opened the door to their dressing room, they saw flowers everywhere. They'd never seen so many flowers before, with so many sentimental notes attached.
Automobiles cruised up to the front of the nightclub and valet attendants rushed to open the doors. And there, in the lights, alighting from the car as if rising up from the night itself-flash upon flashupon flash- Marilyn Monroe. The flashes caught her jewelry, her smile, her cleavage. Marilyn was accompanied by Milton Greene, the LIFE photographer, and Amy, his wife.
Sammy was on stage for an hour, then twenty minutes more, then twenty minutes longer. Allan Grant, the Life photographer sent to cover the opening sanpped away, even turning his camera on the audience. "

I wish I had the pictures Allan Grant took for this occasion.

This post has been edited by Nettie: Sep 21 2005, 04:33 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File 7_1955_milton_sammydaviesjnrparty.jpg ( 47.3K )Number of downloads: 136
Attached File 7_at_the_Mocambo_Club_Sunset_Strip.jpg ( 32.69K )Number of downloads: 143

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Sep 21 2005, 04:25 AM
Post #29
Daisy

Group Icon

Stacy, send me the picture of Frank and Cathy Bitterman on page 178 from your book. I will add it to this post. As I said, Frank is wearing the same clothes as in the picture of him with Judy Garland that you posted.

So, I believe these were all taken at Sammy Davis' house. And I know the ones with Frank and Judy Garland were taken on December 8, 1954, Sammy's 29th birthday party that he gave himself. I am just not 100% sure the ones in his house, but with Tony Curtis and Jeff Chandler were taken on the same day, because there is no mention of Marilyn being there in the book. And somehow, I have a hard time picturing Marilyn and Frank Sinatra in the same room at this particular time. Maybe there was a 2nd party in his house that we don't know of yet.

" On December 8, 1954, Sammy Davis Jr., turned twenty-nine years old. He celebrated in his on home, on Evanview Drive. Sammy celebrated in his first home by throwing a party. As soon as she arrived, Cindy Bitterman could tell how happy Sammy was to be there. " Judy Garland was there ", Bitterman remembers. " Sinatra was there. The place was crowded. I had gotten there with Bob Neal, a wealthy guy from Texas. "

This post has been edited by Nettie: Sep 21 2005, 04:34 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File 3.jpg ( 559.04K )Number of downloads: 210
Attached File 3a.jpg ( 371.76K )Number of downloads: 153
Attached File 3b_Jeff_Chandler.jpg ( 34.51K )Number of downloads: 95
Attached File 1__Dec8__1954_Sinatra__Garland_Sammy__s_home_LA.jpg ( 79.87K )Number of downloads: 151
Attached File 2.jpeg ( 29.08K )Number of downloads: 147

+Quote Post
Stacy
post Sep 21 2005, 04:52 AM
Post #30
Dearest Poo...

Group Icon

Okay. I'll get it scanned Nettie.

This post has been edited by chickeyonthego: Sep 21 2005, 04:58 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File fmf_Frank_Sinatra_and_Cindy_Bitterman__Dec._8__1954.jpg ( 304.45K )Number of downloads: 157

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Sep 21 2005, 03:33 PM
Post #31
Daisy

Group Icon

Stacy, the pictures are so tiny in the book. I didn't know that they came out so HUGE when you scanned them. They are just beautiful. There are a few books out there with rare Marilyn pictures. I have GOT to get a scanner. Thank you so much for sharing them with us.

This post has been edited by Nettie: Sep 21 2005, 03:34 PM

+Quote Post
Stacy
post Sep 21 2005, 08:21 PM
Post #32
Dearest Poo...

Group Icon

Nettie I recommend that you sell all you have in order to get a scanner. lol Having one is fabulous.
You can resize the pics on the scanner, increase the resolutions, etc.
I'm still learning, but it is so great. I highly recommend getting one.
Mine was under a hundred dollars and it works great. It's a Hulett Packard Scanjet 4470c.
I'm glad I could help you out.

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Sep 22 2005, 02:30 AM
Post #33
Daisy

Group Icon

You are right Stacy, and I will try. $100 huh? You are super.

+Quote Post
linkeando
post Oct 12 2005, 10:02 PM
Post #34
I´ll follow her... always

Group Icon

excuse me my ignorance,
then which is verdict?

+Quote Post
meganmarilyn
post Oct 12 2005, 11:31 PM
Post #35
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

This post has been edited by meganmarilyn: Dec 11 2015, 07:11 AM

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Oct 13 2005, 01:02 AM
Post #36
Daisy

Group Icon

QUOTE(meganmarilyn @ Oct 12 2005, 10:31 PM) [snapback]90410[/snapback]
I checked my dates, and saw that Marilyn also was interviewed by Maria Romero on December 2, 1954. Is this date correct? Did she do this too on the same day?

Regarding the date for that interview see here:

http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/ind...hl=maria+romero

Didn't she also get her palm read on this day?

+Quote Post
meganmarilyn
post Oct 13 2005, 01:27 AM
Post #37
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Thanxs I checked that thread. Was it decided the interview took place on December 2nd then? Looking at the Palm reading pics, it looks to be the same place as her interview.

+Quote Post
linkeando
post Oct 15 2005, 03:45 PM
Post #38

Group Icon

let´s see, then...

correct me if i´m wrong

December 2, 1954 at Sammy´s home, what are they celebrating?
(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/uploads/post-44-1127268924_thumb.jpg)

December 2, 1954 at Crescendo Club, what are they celebrating?
(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/uploads/post-44-1127269162_thumb.jpg)

December 11, 1955, Sammy's comeback at Ciros
(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/uploads/post-44-1127271376_thumb.jpg)

December 8, 1954, Sammy's 29th birthday
(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/uploads/post-44-1127272585.jpg)

correct????? (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/blush.gif)

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Oct 15 2005, 04:14 PM
Post #39
Daisy

Group Icon

Jeannette, you got it perfect.

As far as the first two:

Rand threw himself a party at his own home to celebrate his own birthday and the fact that he was soon to be married man. It was right after Sammy's released from the hospital, so Sammy showed up at Rand's house wearing his eye patch. I think they were celebrating Sammy being out as well.

As far as visiting Mel Torme after his show at The Crescendo, they were still just celebrating.

+Quote Post
linkeando
post Oct 15 2005, 05:00 PM
Post #40

Group Icon

thanx nereida, then i think that this topic is solved

what do you think?

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th July 2020 - 04:11 AM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.