Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :

> Read before you post anything

May 6th 2005 : NEW RULES!

Before you start to post here, please remember that this is the place to ask only questions related to a photo or photographer, dates or events etc. It's not the right forum to post requests for/like

- bigger sizes
- without the watermark
- more from this session etc.

Those (for example) belong to the "Pictures Requests" subforum.

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Photos With Sammy Davis Jr.
Share |
linkeando
post Nov 20 2004, 03:04 PM
Post #1
IŽll follow her... always

Group Icon

hi friends!
still iŽm doubting about these photos
differences... mocambo, crescendo, sammyŽs party or not?
same day?
arghhhhh
then... date? place? event? differences?

This post has been edited by linkeando: Nov 20 2004, 06:48 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File 55EFTSDJ001.JPG ( 39.94K )Number of downloads: 230
Attached File ESA54CC_002.JPG ( 59.09K )Number of downloads: 251
Attached File FVTXOXO073_001.JPG ( 65.32K )Number of downloads: 262

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mandydolphin
post Nov 20 2004, 05:42 PM
Post #2
Mandy

Group Icon

Sorry Jeannette,but where are the photos??

+Quote Post
Nina
post Nov 21 2004, 11:17 AM
Post #3
♥ gipsy girl

Group Icon

Hey Jeannette,

I remember that you've asked this question a long time ago but here is my info again (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/wink3.gif)

They're at the Mocambo Club in December 1955. We haven't find out about the exact day so far - maybe we'll find out know (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/wink3.gif)

I hope, this will help you meanwhile (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/hug.gif)

+Quote Post
linkeando
post Nov 21 2004, 01:04 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

but all photos?

+Quote Post
nathalie
post Nov 21 2004, 01:51 PM
Post #5
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
Attached File(s)
Attached File withsammy.jpg ( 6.18K )Number of downloads: 14
Attached File withsammydavis4.JPG ( 88.92K )Number of downloads: 229

+Quote Post
Amber Nichols
post Nov 21 2004, 02:45 PM
Post #6
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) The 1st 3 are from the Macombo club.
The next are from Sammy's return party after his accident( note the eye patches)
Marilyn's hair looks different to me. As we know she likes to wear the same outfit
more than once. I have them in my files as 2 different events. I don't know if this helps??
Attached File(s)
Attached File 12_2macom61.jpg ( 25.55K )Number of downloads: 302
Attached File mocamboclub_002.jpg ( 46.62K )Number of downloads: 212
Attached File marilyn.jpg ( 21.45K )Number of downloads: 214
Attached File Sammy_Davis_Jr.__s_Welcome_Back_Party_1955_1.jpg ( 33.22K )Number of downloads: 228
Attached File Welcome_Back_Sammy_Davis_Jr._1955_2.jpg ( 22.25K )Number of downloads: 166
Attached File mmnb1161.jpg ( 28.29K )Number of downloads: 231

+Quote Post
Nina
post Nov 21 2004, 03:01 PM
Post #7
♥ gipsy girl

Group Icon

I believe they're all taken at the Mocambo Club and they celebrated there the return of SD.jr after his car accident - on all photos! I guess some pics are simply taken at later hours during the party. YMO (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/wink3.gif)

This post has been edited by Nina: Nov 21 2004, 03:01 PM

+Quote Post
Stacy
post Nov 21 2004, 03:58 PM
Post #8
Dearest Poo...

Group Icon

In December 2, 1954, Sammy made his first public appearance since his accident, wearing an eye patch, when he went to hear Mel Torme's show at the Crescendo Club on Sunset Strip. This was an informal event and not publicized before hand. The house photographer took the photos of them.
On January 11, 1955, Sammy made his return to show business during a show at Ciro's nightclub. Personally, I think this is the one featuring Jeff Chandler and Tony Curtis with the eye-patches, as there were many celebrities onhand that night to welcome him back to show business.

+Quote Post
linkeando
post Nov 28 2004, 01:26 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

QUOTE(chickeyonthego @ Nov 21 2004, 02:58 PM)
On January 11, 1955, Sammy made his return to show business during a show at Ciro's nightclub. Personally, I think this is the one featuring Jeff Chandler and Tony Curtis with the eye-patches, as there were many celebrities onhand that night to welcome him back to show business.
[snapback]66154[/snapback]

but, are they (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/uploads/post-669-1101044478_thumb.jpg) at ciroŽs in this photo?

+Quote Post
Stacy
post Nov 28 2004, 10:22 PM
Post #10
Dearest Poo...

Group Icon

Yes. I believe they are. Possibly in a private room, etc.

+Quote Post
linkeando
post Nov 30 2004, 10:37 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

ahhhhhhh, ok, and this one?
(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/uploads/post-109-1100972835_thumb.jpg)

+Quote Post
Stacy
post Nov 30 2004, 10:41 PM
Post #12
Dearest Poo...

Group Icon

That was actually taken at someone's home. I can't remember who, right now. I will have a look and see if I can come up with it.
A series of photos was auctioned off on ebay last year and it told where they were.
This one Amber posted above was also taken that night.

This post has been edited by chickeyonthego: Nov 30 2004, 10:43 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File 12_2macom61.jpg ( 25.55K )Number of downloads: 180

+Quote Post
sabine
post Sep 8 2005, 02:19 AM
Post #13
sabine

Group Icon

Look at the differences...there are slight ones with milton greene....

Attached File 55EFTSDJ001_1_.JPG ( 39.94K )Number of downloads: 128

Here Milton's hair is combed sharply to the side. he's wearing a medium colored suit and a skinny tie.

Attached File 12_2macom61_1_.jpg ( 25.55K )Number of downloads: 128
Attached File FVTXOXO073_001_1_.JPG ( 65.32K )Number of downloads: 140

Here Milton is wearing a black suit and wider tie and his hair seems to be combed back.

Are my eyes bad or do you guys see what i see??? two different events....

Attached File ESA54CC_002_1_.JPG ( 59.09K )Number of downloads: 115

This one here i am unsure about how it fits in with the others....maybe there were 3 events???

sabine

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Sep 8 2005, 05:43 AM
Post #14
Daisy

Group Icon

Different places. Sammy has different outfit here with Jeff Chandler. Check out the smaller photos.
Attached File(s)
Attached File ab_jeff_chandler.jpg ( 36.31K )Number of downloads: 121
Attached File hc__taken_by_Sam__s_publicist_Jess_Rand_December__1954.jpg ( 13.47K )Number of downloads: 194

+Quote Post
sabine
post Sep 8 2005, 03:20 PM
Post #15
sabine

Group Icon

Aha!!!!!!!
So there ewre THREE different occasions, not just two.....
The one in a person's house (milton and marilyn on the couch)...the one where everybody wears eyepatches and the one at the Macambo with Mel Torme!!!
But which dates go with which pic????

STACEY...HELP!!!!!! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

sabine

This post has been edited by sabine: Sep 8 2005, 03:21 PM

+Quote Post
Stacy
post Sep 8 2005, 09:18 PM
Post #16
Dearest Poo...

Group Icon

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/redsitting.gif) mm

Hey Nettie, found one without the watermark for you.

Look at Marilyn's dress in these two photos. It is not the same dress. It has a similar bodice and spaghetti straps.
In the second one she has a sweater, is wearing a belt and a longer skirt.

Also, I found a pic of Sinatra and Garland which appears to be in the same room as Marilyn, Greene and Curtis. They were all at the Ciros show in 1955 for Sammys return to show business.

Also, Tony Curtis is dressed the same in the pics.

The group attended a party in the home of Sammy's publicist, Jess Rand.
They then went to see Mel Torme at the Crescendo Club.
December 1954

January 1955. Ciro's. Sammy Davis, Jr's return to show business.
I believe the candids with the eyepatches were taken at a private
party after the show. Probably in a back room at Ciro's. Just my
opinion.

This post has been edited by chickeyonthego: Sep 13 2005, 09:05 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File fmf_Sammy_Davis__Tony_Curtis_and_Jeff_Chandler.jpg ( 34.51K )Number of downloads: 121
Attached File fmf_mm__1954.jpg ( 46.62K )Number of downloads: 136
Attached File fmf_mm__1955.jpg ( 28.29K )Number of downloads: 154
Attached File fmf__Sinatra__Garland.jpg ( 66.77K )Number of downloads: 185

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Sep 9 2005, 04:12 AM
Post #17
Daisy

Group Icon

Thank you... again, Stacy. Especially for the no watermarked picture. It's beautiful. I just saved all that info. Funny, how long Marilyn has been around Frank and Sammy, The Rat Pack, etc. I believe she was a good friend to have. Their friendship lasted to the end.

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Sep 11 2005, 07:25 AM
Post #18
Daisy

Group Icon

I have been reading "In Black and White The Life of Sammy Davis Jr." by Wil Haygood from the local library. I HAVE GOT TO BUY A SCANNER. On page 174 it has the beautiful picture that I post here very tiny, 2nd on the bottom left, of Marilyn so very cozy and so sweet and with Milton and others: This is what the caption says:

" Days after Sammy was realeased from the hospital in San Bernardino, Jess Rand, on left, hosts a party for him. Film star Jeff Chandler is on Sammy's left. (The woman on Chandler's left was a party crasher; the host had never met her before.) Seated next to Marilyn Monroe is renowned photographer Milton Greene. Whenever Sammy found himself in a photo with Monroe, he would soon begin denying rumors that they were having an affair. The denial was Sammy's way of titillating the tabloits-inasmuch as the rumor found a life only in Sammy's breathless denial of it. "

But read this from page 176:

" On December 2, Jess Rand threw a birthday party for himself, his last as a single man. His wedding to pretty Bonnie Byrnes was a week away. Sammy liked parties; he showed at Jess's wearing his eye patch. Beneath it could be seen a large white bandage still covering the eye. It looked frightful, as did the scar across his face. It seemed as much a coming-out party for Sammy as a birthday party. Many of Rand's and Sammy's friend's were there, giving the evening a feeling of warmth and celebration for both of them. Jeff Chandler looked, as always, smoothly elegant. The breathless woman hudling near photographer Milton Greene was Marilyn Monroe. She wore a black dress with spaghetti straps, and looked both seductive and hazy. "

On page 177 it reads:

" On December 8, 1954, Sammy Davis Jr., turned twenty-nine years old. He celebrated in his on home, on Evanview Drive. Sammy celebrated in his first home by throwing a party. As soon as she arrived, Cindy Bitterman could tell how happy Sammy was to be there. " Judy Garland was there ", Bitterman remembers. " Sinatra was there. The place was crowded. I had gotten there with Bob Neal, a wealthy guy from Texas. "

On page 178 there is a picture of Frank Sinatra sitting beside Cindy Bitterman. He looks exactly the same as in Stacy's photo with Judy Garland. He has the same suit and tie. It is the same room. You can clearly see the stripped curtain. And the caption reads:

" Frank Sinatra and Cindy Bitterman. She played the roll of blunt-talking sister to Sammy. It is December 8, 1954, Sammy's twenty-ninth birthday party. The pure joy of his survival from the car crash three weeks earlier can be seen in their eyes. Sammy hovers above them, playing both host and fan at his own party. He raises his camera: photograph by Sammy Davis Jr. "

So they must be in Sammy's house in these photos with the stripped curtains. But there is no mention of Marilyn attending the birthday party.

Then on pages 187-188 it reads:

" On January 11 they climbed into the Cadillac, and rolled through the night air to Ciro's. Will was quiet, Sam Sr. fatherly. They'd done this hundreds of times, all through the years. But never like this- the air alive with anticipation and curiosity. When they opened the door to their dressing room, they saw flowers everywhere. They'd never seen so many flowers before, with so many sentimental notes attached.
Automobiles cruised up to the front of the nightclub and valet attendants rushed to open the doors. And there, in the lights, alighting from the car as if rising up from the night itself-flash upon flashupon flash- Marilyn Monroe. The flashes caught her jewelry, her smile, her cleavage. Marilyn was accompanied by Milton Greene, the LIFE photographer, and Amy, his wife.
Sammy was on stage for an hour, then twenty minutes more, then twenty minutes longer. Allan Grant, the Life photographer sent to cover the opening sanpped away, even turning his camera on the audience. "

This is the same Allan Grant who photographed Marilyn before she died. I would love to see his photos of the Ciro's event. I have read two of Davis' biographies and there was no mention of Mel Torme in the Mocambo Club event in either of them. In the book Gonna Do Great Things- The Life of Sammy Davis Jr. it says:

" Following his unforgettable return to Ciro's, Sammy, his dad, and Will took the act on the road. From Boston, the Trio went to New York for the capper of the tour, Sammy's return to the Copa. As at Ciro's, Davis enjoyed a celebrity-packed audience of sympathetic fans. The rooters included Eddie Fisher, Marilyn Monroe (whom Sammy had met the night of his return to Ciro's). "

Why would they say Sammy and Marilyn met at Ciro's when Milton has them together in 1954 when he was shooting the cover of his 1st music album? Anyway, I hope I haven't made things worse now.

This post has been edited by Nettie: Sep 11 2005, 09:05 AM
Attached File(s)

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Sep 11 2005, 06:02 PM
Post #19
Daisy

Group Icon

Do you guys see anything similar in these pictures?
Same tableware and candles. Ciro's?
Attached File(s)
Attached File da.jpg ( 65.92K )Number of downloads: 169
Attached File ma.jpg ( 32.8K )Number of downloads: 168

+Quote Post
linkeando
post Sep 12 2005, 11:40 PM
Post #20

Group Icon

hey nereida, you are right!!

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2020 - 06:06 PM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.