Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Funeral, The eulogy
Share |
Mandydolphin
post Aug 8 2004, 05:51 PM
Post #1
Mandy

Group Icon

I have the written eurolgy but has anyone got it an audio version of it??I used to have about 30 seconds of it but lost it when my comp crashed.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mels
post Aug 8 2004, 06:19 PM
Post #2
Isn't it delicious?

Group Icon

Mandy, you originally posted this post in the "known facts and files" regarding Marilyn's file. Because this forum is only meant for official facts and files from Marilyn's last days to her autopsy, which can help us forge an opinion / theory regarding what happened to her, the admins (Ally and myself) automatically block all submissions and activate them if they have our approval (ie. if they are REALLY facts and files, not rumours or such).

In your case, the post had nothing to do with the way Marilyn died etc... so when I approved it, I moved it in the "General Discussion" folder about Marilyn's death. I hope you understand (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

+Quote Post
Mandydolphin
post Aug 8 2004, 06:39 PM
Post #3
Mandy

Group Icon

Thanks Mels.I was wondering were to post it but had no idea. (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/thumbup.gif)

+Quote Post
Meikkuli
post Aug 11 2004, 10:35 AM
Post #4
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Here it at least the transcript of the eulogy for those of you who have not seen it before:

The Eulogy by Lee Strasberg at MM funeral service August 8th, 1962 :

Marilyn Monroe was a legend.

In her life time she created a myth of what a poor girl from a deprived background could attain. For the entire world she became a symbol of the eternal feminine.

But I have no words to describe the myth and the legend. Nor would she want us to do so. I did not know this Marilyn Monroe, nor did she.

We, gathered here today, knew only marilyn--a warm human being, impulsive and shy and lonely, sensitive and in fear of rejection, yet ever avid for life and reaching out for fulfillment. I will not insult the privacy of your memory of her--a privacy she sought and treasured--by trying to describe her whom you know, to you who knew her. In our memories of her, she remains alive, not only a shadow on a screen, or a glamorous personality.

For us, Marilyn was a devoted and loyal friend, a colleague constantly reaching for perfection. We shared her pain and difficulties and some of her joys. She was a member of our family. It is difficult to accept the fact that her zest for life has been ended by this dreadful accident.

Despite the heights and brilliance she attained on the screen, she was planning for the future: she was looking forward to participating in the many exciting things which she planned. In her eyes and in mine, her career was just beginning. The dream of her talent, which she nurtured as a child, was not a mirage. When she first came to me I was amazed at the startling sensitivity which she possessed and which had remained fresh and undimmed, struggling to express itself despite the life to which she had been subjected. Otheres were as physically beautiful as she was, but there was obviously something more in her, something that people saw and recognized in the performances and with which they identified. She had a luminous quality--a combination of wistfulness, radiance, yearning--to set her apart and yet made everyone wish to be part of it, to share in the childish naivite which was once so shy and yet so vibrant.

This quality was even more evident when she was on the stage. I am truly sorry that the public who loved her did not have the opportunity to see her as we did, in many of the roles that foreshadowed what she would have become. Without a doubt she would have been one of the really great actresses on the stage.

Now it is all at an end. I hope that her death will stir sympathy and understanding for a sensitive artist and woman who brought joy and pleasure to the world.

I cannot say goodbye. Marilyn never liked goodbyes, but in that peculiar way she had of turning things around so that they faced reality--I will say au revoir. For the country to which she has gone, we must all someday visit.

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/throb.gif)

+Quote Post
mels
post Aug 11 2004, 11:41 PM
Post #5
Isn't it delicious?

Group Icon

Does anyone know if we can hear the eulogy (or part of it) in a documentary? If so I can see if I do have that documentary and make a capture. Problem is I have so many that I don't feel like watching all of them to find the eulogy (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/wink3.gif)

Okay, I'm editing this post because right after I wrote it, I thought I'd give a try to the documentaries I have on DVD. First one I tried, I found a part of the eulogy on it. So I encoded it for you (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

This is from the wonderful documentary called The Legend of Marilyn Monroe. Sadly we hear only 30 seconds of the eulogy, so that's all I could do for you. If anyone knows where I could find the entire eulogy (if such a file exists), please let me know and I'll see what I can do for you (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Here is the part of the eulogy covered by this audio file:

Marilyn Monroe was a legend.

In her life time she created a myth of what a poor girl from a deprived background could attain. For the entire world she became a symbol of the eternal feminine.

But I have no words to describe the myth and the legend. Nor would she want us to do so. I did not know this Marilyn Monroe, nor did she.

We, gathered here today, knew only marilyn--a warm human being, impulsive and shy and lonely, sensitive and in fear of rejection, yet ever avid for life and reaching out for fulfillment.

Please do not redistribute unless crediting everlasting-star.net and letting me know about it. Thanks!

Enjoy!

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/excl.gif) Right click on the link and select "save target as...", please do not left click on the link or it will slow down the server, and you won't be able to save the file on your computer (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/excl.gif)

This post has been edited by mels: Aug 12 2004, 12:34 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File Marilyn_Monroe_Eulogy_by_Lee_Strasberg.mp3 ( 695.6K )Number of downloads: 132

+Quote Post
Mandydolphin
post Aug 12 2004, 06:55 AM
Post #6
Mandy

Group Icon

Thanks Mels,that's the same part that I had before mycomputer crashed.

This post has been edited by Mandydolphin: Aug 12 2004, 06:59 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2019 - 03:05 PM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.