Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :
7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Brentwood, have a look at Marilyn's last home...
Share |
Joan Newman
post Jul 26 2005, 05:30 AM
Post #41
Daisy

Group Icon

From Gary Vitacco- Robles' book
Cursum Perficio: Marilyn Monroe's Brentwood Hacienda
This is my very favorite OF ALL my Marilyn books because it gives so many details of her last home, each room, the furniture, everything she did to renovate it. It has all these neat diagrams of the house. I feel like I know it very well myself. I could walk through it with my eyes closed now.

Concerning that sofa it says:

"A red sofa designed by Norman Norell in New York will arrive several days before Marilyn's death. It remains in shipping wrap in the guest house. The small couch has cushioned sidearms, hinged to the seat, that fold down to create extensions. The sidearms attach by ties to large knobs on each end of the back support. The sofa will later be upholstered in gold velour and owned by a collector in Los Angeles. "

This post has been edited by Nettie: Jul 27 2005, 05:34 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
poning
post Jul 26 2005, 06:53 AM
Post #42
Marilyn nut

Group Icon

Very interesting topic. I wanna know more about this.

----------------------------------------------
I am very special kind of creation....by poning

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Jul 28 2005, 01:23 AM
Post #43
Daisy

Group Icon

Do you want to read more about the house?
Edited to save space.

This post has been edited by Nettie: Mar 18 2006, 01:36 AM

+Quote Post
rose
post Dec 4 2005, 04:00 PM
Post #44
Marilyn´s Misfit

Group Icon

Umm,only interesting thing is that it used to belong to MM but otherwise if I would be looking for a house to buy I most definetely wouldn't buy this awful place.Only good thing is swimming pool.Yuck! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/hmm.gif)

+Quote Post
Tara
post Dec 4 2005, 04:33 PM
Post #45
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

I don't agree, I think it's a nice house. Modest by movie standards, perhaps, but it reflects Marilyn's simple tastes. I can't quite imagine her in a Jayne Mansfield-style 'pink palace'.

Marilyn rarely used the pool herself, but she liked having it for her friends to swim in.

Although, when she was married to Arthur, Marilyn had plans for a much grander abode, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. She ditched the idea because it was too expensive, and made renovations to the farmhouse instead.

+Quote Post
Mandydolphin
post Dec 4 2005, 04:42 PM
Post #46
Mandy

Group Icon

QUOTE(Tara @ Dec 4 2005, 04:33 PM) [snapback]93397[/snapback]
I don't agree, I think it's a nice house. Modest by movie standards, perhaps, but it reflects Marilyn's simple tastes. I can't quite imagine her in a Jayne Mansfield-style 'pink palace'.

Marilyn rarely used the pool herself, but she liked having it for her friends to swim in.

Although, when she was married to Arthur, Marilyn had plans for a much grander abode, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. She ditched the idea because it was too expensive, and made renovations to the farmhouse instead.

I agree.I think Marilyns choice for the house said/says a lot about her character/personality.

+Quote Post
Paju
post Dec 4 2005, 04:51 PM
Post #47
♥ Appleblossom ♥

Group Icon

I agree with you Tara. I think the house is wonderful, I'd love to live in a house like that. It's simple enough for Marilyn's taste - like you said, I really can't imagine Marilyn living in a huge Hollywood mansion (like the Pink Palace).

+Quote Post
riemedial
post Dec 7 2005, 02:55 AM
Post #48
Marilyn nut

Group Icon

Here are some photos I took of Marilyn's house when I was out in Los Angeles in November of 2004. I was lucky enough to show up at a time when the gate was open, but the cleaning lady was there cleaning the guest cottage and she kept shooting me dirty looks, so I quickly took these, paid my respects and left. I wish I could have been free to run around the grounds and take my time shooting all kinds of photos, but of course thats not possible, so these are the best I could do under the circumstances. I hope you like them.

This post has been edited by riemedial: Dec 7 2005, 02:58 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File 12305_1.jpg ( 176.75K )Number of downloads: 260
Attached File 12305_2.jpg ( 182.78K )Number of downloads: 276
Attached File 12305_3.jpg ( 184.06K )Number of downloads: 298
Attached File 12305_4.jpg ( 163.85K )Number of downloads: 288

+Quote Post
nicky62
post Dec 7 2005, 03:53 AM
Post #49
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(Nettie @ Jul 27 2005, 07:23 PM) [snapback]84876[/snapback]
Do you want to read more about the house?
From Gary Vitacco- Robles' book
Cursum Perficio: Marilyn Monroe's Brentwood Hacienda

Mrs. Murray writes that in late January 1962, a real estate agent suggests a house in Brentwood as he ends his business day. The agent provides directions to a snug 2,300 square foot home at the end of a cul-de-sac named Fifth Helena Drive near San Vincente Boulevard and Carmelina Drive. Brentwood's main street is San Vincente Boulevard, its median lined by huge coral trees. Carmelina bisects San Vincente to the south and Sunset Boulevard in the north. Off winding Carmelina is a succession of short cul-de-sacs known as the numbereed Helenas. In the winter of 1962, Fifth Helena Drive is unmarked. Actually, the short cul-de-sac resembles an alley with two homes at its end. The home for sale at 12305 Helena Drive is on the left, and a two-story home is on the right. Only two other homes share the street, and they face Carmelina Drive.

Sorrounded by a high wall, the three bedroom, two bath home is private and secluded. It features lush gardens, a swimming pool, a small detached guest house, and a garage. The house was built in 1929 on an acre of rolling lawn with a sloping rear view overlooking the valley below. Its Spanish colonial architecture boasts cathedral beamed ceilings, arched doorways, textured adobe stucco walls, and deep-sill Spanish windows. The living room windows boast their own little roofs and iron gratings. Step-up entrances create levels and interesting architectural detailing. Tiles on the front doorsteps bare a coat of arms and the inscription Cursum Perficio, a Latin expression translating to "I have completed my journey." Marilyn will find comfort in the message that foreshadows her death.

Mrs. Murray follows the directions and discovers the L-shaped home tucked behind a large gate and whitewashed brick wall covered by blooming bougainvillea vines. The red barrel tiled roof of the garage is visible above the seven- foot wall. Inside the gate is a red brick driveway in front of a garage. Attached to the garage, on the right, is a guest house. It is separated from the kitchen, in the main house, by a walled garden. The kitchen forms the short leg of the residence's L-shape. The remainder of the main house is perpendicular to the kitchen and set behind a lawn with a flagstone path leading to the front door.

Mrs. Murray waits patiently for the current owners to locate their real estate agent so that she may tour the interior. She hears the cries of a baby and sounds of children playing inside. Once inside, Mrs. Murray steps up from the entryway into a wide living room featuring a fireplace and glass doors opening to the swimming pool. She steps up again through an arched entrance to a hallway to the right of the living room leading to three bedrooms forming an inverted triangle shape. The master bedroom faces the house's front and includeds a kiva fireplace in the corner and a master bath. Behind the master bedroom are two smaller bedrooms adjoined by a bathroom. As many homes built during the Great Depression, closet space is limited. Mrs. Murray notices the interior is brightened by many casement windows and exretior glass doors.

Mrs. Murray continues exploring this charming home and grows excited by it's potential. To the left of the living room is a small dining room sandwiched between a kitchen in front and a sunroom toward the rear. The glass-enclosed sunroom leads to the pool and is marred by an unattractive heating system. Outside, the long, narrow lot bares eucalyptus trees, hillocks of baby's breath, and German moss. A coastal breeze blows from the Pacific Ocean from the west.

Mrs. Murray quickly makes arrangements to secure the key for Marilyn's private viewing while the family is away. Mrs. Murray later remembers Marilyn's first reaction to the home. Marilyn studies and memorizes the home's every detail, brick by brick. She likes that the home has the feel of being lived in by several generations. It's simplicity, privacy and sturdy construction earn Marilyn's approval.

The outdated kitchen and baths are not authentic to the home's architectural motif and require remodeling and new fixtures. Marilyn is immediately inspired to decorate these rooms with bright, colorful Mexican tiles similar to the Greenson' home. She plans to reproduce the warm feeling of her psychiatric's kitchen where she has enjoyed family gatherings and domestic routine. Marilyn sees beyond the contemporary furnishings, unimaginative decor, and unsightly exposed heating system. She envisions the thirty-three year old home restored to it's original, authentic Spanish colonial ambiance. Outside, Marilyn visualizes a wooden platform terrace with seats constructed under a shade tree at the end of the sloped backyard. Marilyn is intrigued and seeks Joe DiMaggio for advice.

Joe DiMaggio accompanies Marilyn and Mrs. Murray to see the home and to offer his impression. Mrs. Murray laters recalls Joe putiing his head down in the car as they drive into the neighborhood. He avoids being recognized by residents and inciting rumors of house hunting with his former wife. The press has speculated over the past year about a reconciliation and remarriage.

After receiving positive feedback from Joe, Marilyn has the neighbors checked and learns one is a university professor. After her death, neighbor Abe Landau will tell an interviewer that the community was excited about Marilyn's presence and watched the studio limousine whisk her down the streets in the mornings.

Other neighbors, the John and Joan Maurcieri family on Dunoon Drive, wil share with Mrs. Murray memories of their famous neighbor's curiousity about them. The back of the Maurcieri home buttresses the rear of Marilyn's property. On the morning of Joan's birthday, the family celebrates by having a brunch made by the young daughters on the patio. They notice Marilyn, in a red kimono, standing on the hill at the edge of her property quietly watching them. The Maurcieri family chooses not to acknowledge her. Embarrassed, Marilyn slowly walks up the hill toward her home. The family will later wish they had asked her to join them.

Another neighbor on Third Helena Drive is Hanna Fenichel, a prominent psychoanalyst active in the Marxist faction of the Psychoanylistic Institute and friend of Dr. Greeson's. The second story of her house overlooks the Fifth Helena Drive cul-de-sac.

Marilyn purchases the home for $77,500 from William and Doris Pagen who, along with their children, have outgrown it. She makes a down payment of $42,500 and qualifies for 15-year mortgage, at six and one-half percent interest, with the City National Bank of Beverly Hills. Marilyn uses as collateral her 1963 deferred salary payment of $100,000 from her 105 share of Some Like It Hot. Monthly payments of $320 begin March 1, 1962. If Marilyn remains in the home and continues the payment at this rate, the mortgage loan will be paid February 1, 1977, when she is 50.

Marilyn's new attorney Milton Rudin, Greenson's brother-in-law, draws up the sales contract. He also transfers Marilyn's professional representation from MCA to his own firm.In her Doheny Drive apartment, Marilyn hesitates signing the escrow papers and excuses herself to the bedroom where she cries. She later explains, "I felt badly because I was buying a house all alone."

Hi Nettie:
can you scan some pages of pics from this book?
i am dying to see it
love nicky62 (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif)

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Dec 7 2005, 05:08 AM
Post #50
Daisy

Group Icon

Sorry, sent twice.

This post has been edited by Nettie: Dec 7 2005, 05:35 AM

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Dec 7 2005, 05:33 AM
Post #51
Daisy

Group Icon

Oh honey. You know I would scan the entire book for you.

The pictures in the book are like "drawings", not photos. I post this one of her dining nook, for you to see what I mean. There are some sketches of some of the artwork, paintings, that she had on her walls, bought back from Mexico. There are sketches of the tiles used in bathrooms, etc. But most of it has already been posted in pictures. It's great reading though.

This post has been edited by Joan Newman: Jun 16 2019, 10:21 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File 4a_gary_kitchen.jpg ( 17.5K )Number of downloads: 146

+Quote Post
rose
post Dec 15 2005, 02:42 PM
Post #52
Marilyn´s Misfit

Group Icon

QUOTE(Tara @ Dec 4 2005, 05:33 PM) [snapback]93397[/snapback]

No,no I don't mean that it's not a "star's house". Mostly I mean the colours of the bathroom:very 1960's ot at least it comes to my mind and that's why I don't like it.
I can't imagine even Mansfield living in that terrible "pink palace" (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) but well, my taste is just different that's all.Simple and tasteful with good quality furniture and decorations etc.is always wonderful -but then again Marilyn didn't have time to finish her house (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/no.gif)

This post has been edited by rose: Dec 15 2005, 02:45 PM

+Quote Post
BellaSarah
post Dec 20 2005, 04:13 AM
Post #53

Group Icon

the tile is hideous.

+Quote Post
ariella
post Jan 4 2006, 01:56 AM
Post #54
Marilyn nut

Group Icon

QUOTE(Nettie @ Dec 7 2005, 04:33 AM) [snapback]93617[/snapback]
Oh honey. You know I would scan the entire book for you....if I only had a scanner. I don't.

But you know, the pictures in the book are like "drawings", not photos. I post this one of her dining nook, for you to see what I mean. There are some sketches of some of the artwork, paintings, that she had on her walls, bought back from Mexico. There are sketches of the tiles used in bathrooms, etc. But most of it has already been posted in pictures. It's great reading though.

I really enjoyed reading what you typed up for us, Nettie. very kind of you to do that. I don't have the book so it is a treat fro me to be able to read it. I do like her home. I was touched by her feeling the house was beautiful because of the generations of family living there. She was surrounded by their warmth. I don't know what I'm trying to say only that she saw and felt something within that home which was beautifula nd comforting to her- and it had nothing to do with the furniture or decorations or style- it had to do with the people who had lived there for generations and all the amazing stories which unfolded there.

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Jan 4 2006, 06:43 AM
Post #55
Daisy

Group Icon

Let me then share a little more from this wonderful book. It really shows us how very sweet, kind, and generous our Marilyn was.

Chapter 9
The Last Weeks

During the weeks following Marilyn's appearance at President Kennedy's birthday gala in New York, she is approached by Richard Meryman, an associate editor of Life magazine. Life is planning a series of celebrity interviews exploring fame and wishes to begin with Marilyn's perspective on the impact of fame on her life. Publicists Patricia Newcomb and John Springer negociate the interview. Initially, a female journalist has been selected to interview Marilyn along with Meryman. When the woman presumptuosly infers that she will become Marilyn's best friend, Marilyn feels threatened and agrees to work only with Meryman. The legendary interview takes place over the course of three days in the wake of Marilyn's termination from the production of Something's Got To Give and will forever be known as her last words.

Patricia Newcomb arranges for Meryman to conduct the six-hour audiotaped interview in Marilyn's house. In it Marilyn emerges as a bright, insightful, articulate, down-to-earth woman. The tapes preserve Marilyn's style of speech, expression, and range of emotions. She has matured and shed her image. Gone is the whispery-voiced caricature that Marilyn has presented to the press for over a decade, Compared to her 1955 televised Person To Person interview with Edward R. Morrow, Marilyn has incarnated into another woman. Meryman is clearly touched by the child-woman he discovers living in the house on Fifth Helena Drive, and his memories will be recorded in an article titled "A Last Long Talk with a Lonely Girl" published in Life after Marilyn's death. It is an endearing memory of Marilyn as hostess:

As she led me through the rooms, bare and makeshift as though someone lived there only temporarily, she described with loving excitement each couch and table and dresser, where it would go and what was special about it. The few small Mexican things...a tin candelabra, folding stools ingeniously carved from single pieces of wood, a leather-covered coffee table, tiles on the kitchen walls...revealed her impetuous, charming taste. Separate from the house, attached to her two-car garage, was a large room that was being converted to an apartment which would be, she explained, " a place for friends of mine who are in some kind of trouble, you know, and maybe they'll want to live here where they won't be bothered till things are OK for them..." When I showed genuine enthusiasm for her house, she said, "Good, anybody who likes my house, I'm sure to get along with..." I remarked on the profusion of flowers outside. Her face grew bright and she said, "I don't know why, but I've always been able to make things grow."

When Meryman has difficulty setting up his tape recorder, Marilyn offers help and the use of her own recorder given to her by poet Norman Rosten. At one point in the interview, after midnight, she suggests grilling steaks. They search the refrigerator for food, finding it nearly empty.

According to Meryman, Marilyn initially refused photos: "' I don't want everybody to see exactly where I live, what my sofa or my fireplace looks like. Do you know the book Everyman? Well, I want to stay just in the fantasy of everyman. '"

Marilyn eventually poses for pictures by Allan Grant, on July 7th, to accompany the article. Patricia Newcomb reads the interview questions to Marilyn who acts out her reactions wearing high-heeled pumps and an orange blouse with matching slacks. Marilyn also gives Allan Grant a tour of the house. He will recall:
"'She was very enthusiastic and had great plans for each room. As she talked, she stopped being the provocative, sexy movie star. I suddenly saw a real flesh and blood woman, warm and sweet. At the same time, I felt her reaching out for someone or something. I was quite moved. She told me about the books she read and her interests in designing furniture, and all the things nobody knew or cared about...'"

In the last weeks of her life, Marilyn's career continues to thrive despite Fox's efforts to tarnish her professional reputation. She discusses prospective film projects such as a musical version of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and The Jean Harlow Story. Her image and words continue to receive constant media coverage. Photographs of Marilyn's nude swimming scene in Something's Got To Give appear in magazines throughout the summer. Telegrams arrive at the Brentwood hacienda offering work in the United States and in Europe. There is promise and hope for Marilyn to realize her dreams. At thirty-six, Marilyn emerges as a survivor.

"'As far as I am concerned, the happiest time is now,'" Marilyn tells George Barris. "' There's a future, and I can't wait to get to it.'"

This post has been edited by Nettie: Jul 29 2010, 07:15 AM

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Jan 4 2006, 07:29 AM
Post #56
Daisy

Group Icon

I had posted the ariels in another thread, but they really belong here. And here is a real good photo of her beautiful Mexican tiles from her kitchen and dining nook area.
Attached File(s)
Attached File ac.jpg ( 74.36K )Number of downloads: 229
Attached File ad.jpg ( 60.62K )Number of downloads: 251
Attached File 4fa.jpg ( 60.94K )Number of downloads: 293

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Mar 18 2006, 02:02 AM
Post #57
Daisy

Group Icon

I've just purchased a copy of Gary's Cursum Perficio. I had the 1st one, but this one is even better. I love all my Marilyn books, but Gary's is my very favorite of them all. It is the only one that takes me right into her most private space. I am actually going to purchase a few more copies just in case mine get old from wear.

This post has been edited by Joan Newman: Jun 16 2019, 10:22 PM

+Quote Post
lavald
post Oct 21 2006, 03:47 AM
Post #58

Group Icon

gosh guys!!!! the pics are really interesting!!! im an italian girl living in brentwood right now, just moved here to stay with my bf and i live 2 min away from her house..i was a huge fan years ago and i still have, anyway that house always blinded me! i havent been that lucky yet to see inside with the gate open, it was always closed :( its really hard to see inside.. the first time i went there i was like "hey did they burn down the house??" cuz its really really hard..hopefully soon ill be able to share some pics with you guys too (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Nov 29 2006, 06:47 AM
Post #59
Daisy

Group Icon

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) Valeria

How lucky you are to be minutes away from her house. I keep hoping to go there some day. I pray they never knock it down, even though, from what I read, it may not even resemble her house soon, with all the renovations. Please, please go visit for us. I am dying for some more pictures of the house.

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/throb.gif) I hope things are great for you and your boyfriend there.

This post has been edited by Nettie: Nov 29 2006, 06:51 AM

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Dec 16 2006, 01:47 AM
Post #60
Daisy

Group Icon

Bigger scans (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

This post has been edited by Nettie: Dec 16 2006, 02:02 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File scan0012.jpg ( 1.6MB )Number of downloads: 182
Attached File scan0016.jpg ( 1.7MB )Number of downloads: 149
Attached File Copy_of_132.jpg ( 2MB )Number of downloads: 197
Attached File 131.jpg ( 1.57MB )Number of downloads: 165
Attached File 132.jpg ( 2MB )Number of downloads: 162

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th August 2019 - 08:44 AM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.