Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anthony Summers's Book
Share |
Paju
post Jul 11 2004, 04:05 PM
Post #1
♥ Appleblossom ♥

Group Icon

Hi guys (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
I read this book a few years ago, and now just a couple of days ago I finally bought it! It's not the best book around, but I thought it was still worth 7 € (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes1.gif) I don't remember much of it though, maybe I should read it again (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
~Paju~
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mandydolphin
post Jul 11 2004, 05:39 PM
Post #2
Mandy

Group Icon

This was the first book I ever read about Marilyn.I really like the book because through this book I became curious about Marilyn.

+Quote Post
basia
post Jul 11 2004, 08:41 PM
Post #3
Marilyn nut

Group Icon

I just bought it two days ago but haven't started reading yet. I was wondering if it's any good.

+Quote Post
suusmarie
post Jul 12 2004, 12:30 AM
Post #4
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I do not like this book (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/mf_tongue.gif) . His says to have done research but most of his major claims have been disproved over the years. And anyone who takes Robert Slatzer´s tales serious can not be taken serious themselfs in my opinion (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) !
But do read it ofcourse, the more you read the better you can form you own opions on MM (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/wink3.gif) .

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/hug.gif) Suusmarie

+Quote Post
Nina
post Jan 7 2005, 09:59 PM
Post #5
♥ gipsy girl

Group Icon

I'm re-reading this book because it was my first Marilyn book ever and because when I started to read this for the first time, I didn't know much about Marilyn... now I can say (after reading the half of it) it looks like Marilyn was having one affair over another and the author (I'm sorry to say so) is putting a lot of bad light over her, in my eyes saying, she was like a bitch... sleeping with mostly all of the men she ever met.

I sometimes had the feeling to begin to dislike Marilyn because he sad so much bad things about her. I mean she had a private life too and I don't think she had so many affairs as told by the author (or his sources).

I agree that Marilyn must have been a person with many different faces (she was gemini like I'm) and geminis often (not always but often) fight mostly against or with themself (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) but not against others. The only problem Marilyn had was that she always thought she would be crazy or sick because of the trouble she had with the many persons she had inside but without the knowledge, that many other people have those fights too.

However, I don't think that she was that bad and even if I maybe have mentioned earlier that I like his book, I correct my own feelings and say it's not one of my fav. books (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/thumbdown.gif) , not - because maybe she had so many affairs but because I think he wrote in an unrespectful manner (JMO)

+Quote Post
Marilyn.Fan04
post Jan 25 2008, 06:38 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

QUOTE(Nina @ Jan 7 2005, 01:59 PM) *
I'm re-reading this book because it was my first Marilyn book ever and because when I started to read this for the first time, I didn't know much about Marilyn... now I can say (after reading the half of it) it looks like Marilyn was having one affair over another and the author (I'm sorry to say so) is putting a lot of bad light over her, in my eyes saying, she was like a bitch... sleeping with mostly all of the men she ever met.

I sometimes had the feeling to begin to dislike Marilyn because he sad so much bad things about her. I mean she had a private life too and I don't think she had so many affairs as told by the author (or his sources).

I agree that Marilyn must have been a person with many different faces (she was gemini like I'm) and geminis often (not always but often) fight mostly against or with themself (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) but not against others. The only problem Marilyn had was that she always thought she would be crazy or sick because of the trouble she had with the many persons she had inside but without the knowledge, that many other people have those fights too.

However, I don't think that she was that bad and even if I maybe have mentioned earlier that I like his book, I correct my own feelings and say it's not one of my fav. books (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbdown.gif) , not - because maybe she had so many affairs but because I think he wrote in an unrespectful manner (JMO)

I totally agree I'm only at the 11th chapter and the author is already claiming that she had all of these affairs with different men. Even when she was dating Joe DiMaggio. To me that is her personal life if she was doing that its not something to put in a book then quote that the guy she had an affair with said that she was a "lousy lay", I mean comeon how disrespectful can the author be? I doubt his "sources" even have the stories right anyways. So far I don't like this book to me it wouldn't even be worth finishing if it weren't about Marilyn I'm just glad that I didn't actually spend money purchasing this book and I rented it from my school library.

Unless you want to read a lot about Marilyn's so called "Affairs and how she got ahead into show biz by sleeping with whatever guy she can its a waste of 11 chapters."

Plus he doesn't even talk about her whole life he only starts off where she marries James Dougherty

+Quote Post
californiadude
post Jan 25 2008, 08:20 AM
Post #7
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Wasn't Anthony Summers the guy who believed the whole Marilyn/Jeanie Carmen BFF story?

+Quote Post
Alanma
post Feb 25 2008, 12:50 AM
Post #8
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(californiadude @ Jan 25 2008, 07:20 AM) *
Wasn't Anthony Summers the guy who believed the whole Marilyn/Jeanie Carmen BFF story?

The only bit of Summer's book I read before consigning it to garbage, was the part dealing with her time in England.
He states that, on most evenings, Marilyn would drive into London to meet her lover [not named, but there are heavy nods in the Kennedy direction] at a flat in Knightsbridge belonging to Sammy Davis Jr.
No.
Marilyn almost never went out in the evenings. She was too tired after work.
There were a few evenings out with Arthur Miller to the theatre, to the Oliviers at Notley Abbey, a party at Terence Rattigan's and that Royal Film Premiere but that was all. So few they can be listed.
After a bath she would change, have dinner, then wander round the garden if it was fine, or come into the drawing room or music room to sing to relax, listen to music, read or just chat.
In any case, Marilyn would have to have gone in the Princess with the chauffeur and bodyguard.
The journey would take about 1 hour, no motorway or bypasses then. Given a couple of hours with her paramour and the drive back, that's 4 hours at least.
Someone would have noticed!
The Press certainly would as there was always a press car by the main gate, and a posse of pressmen in the village pub.
As Marilyn was both big news, and not much liked by the British press at the time, you can bet your sweet bippy that any such excursions would be as a jampot to a wasps' nest.

+Quote Post
Ms-Monroe
post Feb 25 2008, 02:15 AM
Post #9
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

I got this book along with Ted Jordan's trash novel and a bunch of others at a thrift shop. The first novel I read was Ted Jordan's and Anthony Summers was the second. Both trash in my opinion.

+Quote Post
Tiina
post Feb 25 2008, 03:43 PM
Post #10
Ihana, ihanampi, Marilyn.

Group Icon

I bought Sumers' book some time ago and I'm waiting to receive it.

It was the first book I ever read about Marilyn and that is the only reason I wanted to have it in my collection. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/no.gif)

+Quote Post
2Twinkle
post Feb 26 2008, 12:41 AM
Post #11
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

QUOTE(Ms-Monroe @ Feb 25 2008, 03:15 AM) *
I got this book along with Ted Jordan's trash novel and a bunch of others at a thrift shop. The first novel I read was Ted Jordan's and Anthony Summers was the second. Both trash in my opinion.

I read a couple of pages of Ted Jordan's book, but gave up due to lack of interest. It didn't hold my attention quite apart from any lack of credibility.

Anthony Summers' "Goddess" was an absorbing book to read. Not one of my all-time favourite books, but compelling.

To describe a book as "trash," I would have to feel that there wasn't anything in it true or worth learning from. I won't read through the entire book, making notes of anything that seems true or worthwhile to me.... But, examples in "Goddess" of true information among the illustrations in the first 400 pages of the book (unless anyone has evidence to the contrary) include:

Page 8: Letter from confinement of Marilyn's mother, Gladys

Page 10: Letter from Marilyn's mother to her Guardian, Mrs Melson

Page 187: Scrawled lines given by Marilyn to Norman Rosten

Page 241: Marilyn's note to Norman Rosten from the set of SLIH

Page 278: Marilyn's telegram to her psychiatrist on her 35th birthday

Page 380: Telegram from Marilyn to Robert & Ethel Kennedy, 13th June 1962

Page 388: Parts of Marilyn's phone records, missing since her death, and retrieved by the author.

I respect, to an extent, anyone who has spent 1000's of hours of their life researching any subject and I will not dismiss a book they write based on this research as "trash." That isn't realistic.

+Quote Post
Ms-Monroe
post Feb 26 2008, 02:52 AM
Post #12
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

By "trash" I mean I didn't end up enjoying them. They were crap in my opinion.. well, mainly Ted Jordan's.

Goddess DID have some accurate information but it completely lost me once it started to dwelve into the typical Kennedy theories and such. I'm just tired of reading about it. I pretty much skimmed passed any page that said "Kennedy" on it.

+Quote Post
magda24
post Mar 9 2008, 03:56 AM
Post #13
The light descends from nowhere

Group Icon

And I liked Goddes!I don't think it depicts her as a slut. It's not written from kneeling position (if you know what I mean)< it show her as a complicated person, intelligent but also flawed.I mean, after reading Goddess I felt that I may not like Monroe but I certainly feel the true person behind the myth.And what's wrong with having affairs??If man has a lot of them, nobody'sgonna call him names.
Spoto in his book was very critical about this book, but then (according to Adam Victor) when he'd acknowledged himself with Summer's materials he changed his mind and all criticism was removed from next editions of Spoto's book. and it means something.

+Quote Post
ClassicBeauty
post Jul 18 2008, 09:07 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

I just got done reading this book, and as much as I liked it, I got sick of reading the line "...and an affair began."

I really liked the book though. He covers a lot of things from what evidence and witnesses he had to fall back on at that time. Although it's probably not the best book out there, I consider it a really good read.

Because her story is full of unanswered questions and mystery, each book will not have the same facts. Which is annoying but it's what makes her so interesting to read about of course. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
blondealways
post Apr 18 2009, 11:35 PM
Post #15
Marilyn Fan For Life!

Group Icon

This was the first book I ever read about her and for me it was the only reason that I have it in my collection.
I have always been kinda conflicted about the whole thing with the more that I have come across over the years! I don't recommend it but it is quite interesting!

+Quote Post
Tara
post Apr 19 2009, 11:02 AM
Post #16
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

I respect Summers' research though I don't agree with all of his conclusions. And I feel pretty much the same way about Spoto. For me, the author who came closest to understanding Marilyn's character (and not just the life she may or may not have led) was Guiles in his first book - and Michelle Morgan, and a few of the memoirs like Berniece Miracle, Susan Strasberg. The likes of Ted Jordan are just a bad joke, however.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd August 2020 - 09:59 PM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.