Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The "random Marilyn Questions" Thread, single random MM facts you wanna ask??
Share |
the_Mmmm_girl
post Jul 6 2004, 08:48 PM
Post #1
Cheers No Tears <3

Group Icon

Does anyone know how much Marilyn weighed when she made "There's No Business Like Showbusiness" as compared to her weight when she made "The Prince & the Showgirl"? (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/eyebrow.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mels
post Jul 6 2004, 10:37 PM
Post #2
Isn't it delicious?

Group Icon

You're not starting with an easy question Rita LOL!
I'd LOVE to know the answer though !

+Quote Post
louie_gee_gee
post Feb 12 2008, 10:28 PM
Post #3
"I'm going to be a great movie star some day."

Group Icon

QUOTE(the_Mmmm_girl @ Jul 6 2004, 09:48 PM) *
Does anyone know how much Marilyn weighed when she made "There's No Business Like Showbusiness" as compared to her weight when she made "The Prince & the Showgirl"? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/throb.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/marilynbybrandon_190.gif) Wow, that's a toughie! I'm afraid I don't know.

+Quote Post
Alanma
post Feb 15 2008, 05:29 PM
Post #4
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Sorry, but I haven't a clue either.
Judging comparative weight by appearance doesn't help, because of the severe 'bloating' effect of her illness during TPATSG , which necessitated her costume being made in 3 different sizes.

+Quote Post
meztisa
post Jun 26 2008, 03:43 PM
Post #5
team marilyn

Group Icon

During her peak, which would include TNBLSB, it is documented that she weighed from 115 - 118lbs. As TPATS was made in the later fifties, her weighted had fluctuated to about 125lbs. Not that much of a difference, as you can tell in the movies. She weighed at her most in LML and SLIH, at 150lbs.

+Quote Post
Kowalczyk
post Jun 26 2008, 03:54 PM
Post #6
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

I have a random question. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blush.gif) I've only read (half of!) one MM book - Spoto's - and it's not clear (intentionally I think) whether Marilyn did have a relationship with Hal Schaefer around 1954 time... Does anyone know if she did or whether it's just something no one knows?

It's probably a really dumb question but I'm still quite new to Marilyn (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blush.gif)

Edit: Sorry to hijack your thread when your question hasn't even been answered yet!

This post has been edited by Kowalczyk: Jun 26 2008, 03:57 PM

+Quote Post
magda24
post Jun 26 2008, 05:47 PM
Post #7
The light descends from nowhere

Group Icon

QUOTE(Kowalczyk @ Jun 26 2008, 04:54 PM) *
I have a random question. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blush.gif) I've only read (half of!) one MM book - Spoto's - and it's not clear (intentionally I think) whether Marilyn did have a relationship with Hal Schaefer around 1954 time... Does anyone know if she did or whether it's just something no one knows?

It's probably a really dumb question but I'm still quite new to Marilyn (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blush.gif)

Edit: Sorry to hijack your thread when your question hasn't even been answered yet!

According to Summers, Schaefer's own account and DiMaggio's jealousy (Wrong Door Raid!) she did have an affair with him during TNBLSB

+Quote Post
Kowalczyk
post Jun 26 2008, 05:50 PM
Post #8
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

Thank you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I couldn't tell whether it was true, or if it was just extreme jealousy on DiMaggio's part. (And I found the whole Wrong Door Raid thing quite funny. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blush.gif) )

+Quote Post
magda24
post Jun 26 2008, 06:13 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

QUOTE(Kowalczyk @ Jun 26 2008, 06:50 PM) *
Thank you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I couldn't tell whether it was true, or if it was just extreme jealousy on DiMaggio's part. (And I found the whole Wrong Door Raid thing quite funny. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blush.gif) )

I know, so stupid!It really shows how far jealous macho man with bloated ego can go!I also read somewhere that the whole mess was because of some lesbian rumours (MM was to be discovered with a woman) but I think it's BS.

+Quote Post
Kowalczyk
post Jun 26 2008, 06:19 PM
Post #10
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

Yup. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Wait... so it isn't true then (most likely)? Cos Summers is not supposed to be trustworthy, right? Sorry I know I'm being a little dumb. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blush.gif)

+Quote Post
magda24
post Jun 26 2008, 06:25 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

QUOTE(Kowalczyk @ Jun 26 2008, 07:19 PM) *
Yup. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Wait... so it isn't true then (most likely)? Cos Summers is not supposed to be trustworthy, right? Sorry I know I'm being a little dumb. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blush.gif)

I tend to be careful both with Spoto and Summers. Spoto definetely likes to ommit facts that don't fit to his picture (like Kennedy's affair) while Summers sometimes is very tabloid-like. and you're not being dumb, Angela, everyone here has right to choose what to believe (or not). I read many biographies (Spoto, Summers, Guiles, Leaming, Wolfe, Mailer etc) but I'm always careful with their conlusions. Just draw yours. I believe that Marilyn had a thing with Schaefer but whether it was serious I don't know.

+Quote Post
Kowalczyk
post Jun 26 2008, 06:34 PM
Post #12
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain... I suppose I will have to read more before I can draw my own conclusion. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

+Quote Post
dwane
post Jun 26 2008, 10:05 PM
Post #13
I'm trying so hard...

Group Icon

what was the main reason arthur and marilyn got divorced? why did marilyn convert to judaism, besides to be more like arthur? and what was the exact date the divorce between marilyn and james dougherty was final?

thanks in advance! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/marilynbybrandon_190.gif)

This post has been edited by dwane: Jun 26 2008, 10:06 PM

+Quote Post
Kowalczyk
post Jun 27 2008, 04:10 PM
Post #14
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

QUOTE(dwane @ Jun 27 2008, 12:05 AM) *
why did marilyn convert to judaism, besides to be more like arthur?

I think it's cos to marry him she had to be Jewish. This happened to a friend of my friend's (this woman converted to Judaism to marry her Jewish husband so their children would be Jewish too). But I don't know how seriously you want to take this cos I'm pretty new to Marilyn and someone else probably knows better. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blush.gif)

(Or did you already know that anyway? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) )

+Quote Post
dwane
post Jun 27 2008, 04:50 PM
Post #15
I'm trying so hard...

Group Icon

lol, thanks anyway! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

+Quote Post
Kowalczyk
post Jun 27 2008, 05:06 PM
Post #16
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

Haha, okay, sorry. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blush.gif)

+Quote Post
Tara
post Jun 27 2008, 06:46 PM
Post #17
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

Arthur wasn't a practising Jew at that time, and he didn't expect Marilyn to convert. It was her own suggestion. Most of her friends were Jewish, and I think she liked the idea of being part of that community. She was never particularly devout, but she did observe some customs, eg she kept a menorah near her front door at her last home in Brentwood - and that was two years after her marriage to Arthur ended.

+Quote Post
dwane
post Jun 27 2008, 06:51 PM
Post #18
I'm trying so hard...

Group Icon

thanks so much tara! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

+Quote Post
abeautifulchild
post Jun 27 2008, 08:01 PM
Post #19
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(dwane @ Jun 26 2008, 10:05 PM) *
what was the main reason arthur and marilyn got divorced?

I think the reason why MM & AM got divorced was because they did not live up to the expectations they set up for their marriage and for themselves. Marilyn married Arthur looking for a father, and Arthur married Marilyn looking for an angel. Marilyn was crushed after she realized that Arthur couldnt love all of her, but I think that the marriage really started to fail when Marilyn was unable to give him a child. I dont think she wanted to put anything more into their marriage after that- like she sort of gave up on them. And as for Arthur, he never was the one to know how to handle Marilyn IMO. I know she often felt neglected and inferior. I think he did love her, but I dont think he was willing to give all of himself to her as she was willing to do. Then there was the affair with Yves Montand, which Im sure that Marilyn would not have begun unless she had not given up on Arthur. Arthur didnt show that he cared, because Im sure he knew it was over for them as well. Anyway, he was disillusioned at the end (and so was she), and they both knew that after all that had happened they were only hanging on for The Misfits. And then after that production and all the hell that went on there, I dont think they could stand being around each other anymore. I wonder if it would have worked if they both entered the marriage looking for the same things...

My question: did MM have a miscarriage during TPATSG?

This post has been edited by abeautifulchild: Jun 27 2008, 08:14 PM

+Quote Post
Tara
post Jun 27 2008, 08:24 PM
Post #20
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

QUOTE(abeautifulchild @ Jun 27 2008, 08:01 PM) *
My question: did MM have a miscarriage during TPATSG?

I don't think she did though I can't be sure. Anthony Summers mentions it in his book, but doesn't give a source. Colin Clark also described it in some detail, but I don't find him reliable. Also, I think it's unlikely that Marilyn would have got pregnant so soon into her marriage, and with a movie to make. Her miscarriages in summer of 1957 and winter of 1958 are both documented. Without further evidence, I'd have to say the 1956 pregnancy may be just a rumour.

My question...Spoto claims that Marilyn signed a management contract with Lucille Ryman and John Carroll in 1947, under the name 'Journey Evers'. I know she still wasn't settled on Marilyn at this time, but what might have inspired this unusual choice of name?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2019 - 10:32 PM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.