Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [Solved] Misc Pictures
Share |
Joan Newman
post Jul 6 2004, 05:34 AM
Post #1
Daisy

Group Icon

I'd like either more info on some of these misc pictures or just more of the same pictures. Some are just beautiful and I wish I had more. Thank you.
Attached File(s)
Attached File mmdogGPB_1_.JPG ( 54.23K )Number of downloads: 128
Attached File rare_033_1_.jpeg ( 16.19K )Number of downloads: 103
Attached File when_and_where.jpg ( 61.39K )Number of downloads: 138
Attached File w_talking_with_writer_and_friend_Donald_of_Daily_Mirror_in_1960.jpeg ( 83.91K )Number of downloads: 120
Attached File wa.jpg ( 35.96K )Number of downloads: 143
Attached File i_november_1958_NY_airport_after_SLIH.jpeg ( 32.74K )Number of downloads: 121
Attached File ob_Buddy_Adler_in_1960_HeadProduction20thCenturyFox.jpeg ( 26.03K )Number of downloads: 127
Attached File p_Nov57_Joan_Copeland__Barbizon_Plaza_Hotel_opening_in_the_Noel_Coward_Play.jpeg ( 22.64K )Number of downloads: 107
Attached File pa.jpeg ( 58.34K )Number of downloads: 134

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vanelg1
post Jul 6 2004, 08:36 PM
Post #2
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

With Constance Collier, taken by Milton H. Greene
Attached File(s)
Attached File Constance_Collier02.jpg ( 7.57K )Number of downloads: 169
Attached File Constance_Collier01.jpg ( 5.37K )Number of downloads: 136
Attached File Constance_Collier03.jpg ( 6.48K )Number of downloads: 104

+Quote Post
Stacy
post Jul 7 2004, 01:49 AM
Post #3
Dearest Poo...

Group Icon

Actually the woman in the photos with Marilyn is Bertha Stafford-Vester.
Marilyn was guest for a weekend at Fleur Cowles Conneticut home. Mrs. Vester was a houseguest there too. The photo appears in Miss Cowles book. The Milton Greene site erroneously identifies this as Constance Collier.

+Quote Post
suusmarie
post Jul 7 2004, 01:53 AM
Post #4
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Here´s what I know...

First Row:
------------
nr.1: MM with Agnes Flanagan.
nr.3-4: MM at the home of Natasha Lytess.

Second Row:
---------------
nr.1: MM rehearsing for the CBS radioshow next night, 1954.
nr.3-4: MM being interviewed by phone, by Donald Zac from the Daily Mirror,
1960, at home.
nr.5: MM and Miller on NY Airport, nov 1958, after filming SLIH.

Third Row:
------------
nr.1: MM and Buddy Adler, 20th C.Fox Head of Production until his death in 1960.
nr.2: MM with Joan Coapland, the sister of Arthur Miller.
nr.3: MM and Arthur on their way to the premiere-night of "Conversation Piece,

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) Suusmarie
Attached File(s)
Attached File mm.radio.CBS.02.jpg ( 32.02K )Number of downloads: 133
Attached File mm.radio.CBS.03.jpg ( 34.28K )Number of downloads: 153
Attached File mm.premiere.ConversationPiece1957.02.jpg ( 23K )Number of downloads: 118

+Quote Post
Stacy
post Jul 7 2004, 01:57 AM
Post #5
Dearest Poo...

Group Icon

The first photo is of Marilyn and Anna Karger. She was the mother of Fred Karger, an early love of Marilyn. Marilyn was very attached to Mrs. Karger.
The second is Marilyn and Bertha Stafford-Vester. Early 1955.
The third is Marilyn and Natasha Lytess with her daughter and some friends. Circa 1953. The fourth is the same.
Number seven was taken by J.R. Eyerman. Circa 1950.
The two in a rocking chair were originally taken for an advertisement.
Of what and when, I am not sure.
The next is of Arthur and Marilyn returning to New York after Some Like It Hot was finished. November 1958.
Marilyn and ????, circa 1960 after the actors strike had ended and filming resumed on Let's Make Love. I forget for the moment who he is.
Marilyn and Joan Copeland, Arthur's sister. Joan had opened on Broadway in Timepiece. The last one was taken earlier that evening
as they were getting ready to attend the play. November 18, 1957.

This post has been edited by chickeyonthego: Jul 7 2004, 02:04 AM

+Quote Post
Stacy
post Jul 7 2004, 02:03 AM
Post #6
Dearest Poo...

Group Icon

Oh, Suusmarie, I am so elated that you posted that wire service image and text. I have often wondered why Marilyn was posing with the CBS microphone. Thank you so much!!!!!
Buddy Adler is right!
Also...I am thankful for the information on the pictures of Marilyn in the rocking chair. I can breath a sigh of relief now! Ha!
And the correct name of the play is Conversation Piece, not Timepiece or whatever I said. LOL
You are a sweetheart.

This post has been edited by chickeyonthego: Jul 7 2004, 02:05 AM

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Jul 7 2004, 02:18 PM
Post #7
Daisy

Group Icon

Thank you so very much "chickey" and "Suusmarie". I am so happy with all that great info.

+Quote Post
linkeando
post Jul 9 2004, 10:50 PM
Post #8
I´ll follow her... always

Group Icon

year with Bertha Stafford-Vester? 1955? what home?

sorry, i saw my answer

This post has been edited by linkeando: Jul 9 2004, 11:14 PM

+Quote Post
sabine
post Jul 26 2004, 03:59 PM
Post #9
sabine

Group Icon

[quote=chickeyonthego,Jul 7 2004, 02:03 AM]
Oh, Suusmarie, I am so elated that you posted that wire service image and text. I have often wondered why Marilyn was posing with the CBS microphone. Thank you so much!!!!!
Buddy Adler is right!
Also...I am thankful for the information on the pictures of Marilyn in the rocking chair. I can breath a sigh of relief now! Ha!

Hi....more Info on the 'rocking chiar pics'...they were taken in october of 1955.

sabine

+Quote Post
Stacy
post Jul 26 2004, 05:52 PM
Post #10
Dearest Poo...

Group Icon

The rocking chair pics look later than October of 1955. I agree with
Suusmarie that they are more likely 1960.
Do you have anymore information about them to support 1955?

This post has been edited by chickeyonthego: Jul 26 2004, 05:53 PM

+Quote Post
linkeando
post Jul 26 2004, 09:12 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

wait a moment? interview with Donald Zec in 1955?????? not 1960?

+Quote Post
sabine
post Oct 25 2004, 07:03 AM
Post #12
sabine

Group Icon

Ooops...i confused those 2 pics in the rockingchair with another pic in mind (i always get them wrong)...sorry 'bout that....i don't know anything much about those 2 pics but it doesn't look like 1960 where marilyn's hair was almost white-blond and she was also heavier...this seems more like 1956 to me....

sabine

+Quote Post
CYRILPARIS
post Oct 24 2012, 02:06 PM
Post #13
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(chickeyonthego @ Jul 7 2004, 02:49 AM) *
Marilyn was guest for a weekend at Fleur Cowles Conneticut home. Mrs. Vester was a houseguest there too. The photo appears in Miss Cowles book. The Milton Greene site erroneously identifies this as Constance Collier.

http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/ind...ost&p=36168
http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/ind...st&p=185983
What your source for Bertha Spafford Vester for this meeting with Marilyn? Magazine article? Auction catalog?
SPAFFORD not STAFFORD
Here are pictures of her

This post has been edited by CYRILPARIS: Oct 24 2012, 02:36 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File 52262341_127361391769_1_.jpg ( 12.78K )Number of downloads: 64
Attached File 52262341_127361368595_1_.jpg ( 39.77K )Number of downloads: 70
Attached File history_6_1_.jpg ( 23.4K )Number of downloads: 76
Attached File american_colony_leader_bertha_spafford_vester_three_quarter_length_portrait_seated_facing_front_1_.png ( 37.25K )Number of downloads: 68
Attached File 1951.jpg ( 45.51K )Number of downloads: 61
Attached File 1954.jpg ( 30.08K )Number of downloads: 51
Attached File 20110912_010041_1_.jpg ( 48.53K )Number of downloads: 59

+Quote Post
linkeando
post Nov 20 2012, 01:02 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

The diaries also contain references to Vester’s views about dissent among colony members and the conflicts raging in the region and in the greater outside world. They record Vester’s travels, particularly her numerous trips to the United States, and the acquaintances she made among the little-known and the famous, from Nancy Astor to Marilyn Monroe (whom Bertha met at Fleur Cowles’s country home in Connecticut), Dwight D. Eisenhower, Pearl Buck, or Norman Vincent Peale.

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/collections/am...ony/vester.html

+Quote Post
meganmarilyn
post Nov 20 2012, 01:41 PM
Post #15
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Yes that Daily Mirror interview looks circa 1956. Compared with MM photo of her in England 1956. Similar hairstyle, creamy skin.

This post has been edited by meganmarilyn: Nov 20 2012, 01:49 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File MM.jpg ( 164.55K )Number of downloads: 61

+Quote Post
Mezzo
post Nov 20 2012, 02:53 PM
Post #16
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

From a review of the book about Cowles, found here: http://articles.nydailynews.com/1996-10-16...es-harold-evans

"As a protest against bad movies her Hollywood studio wanted her to star in, Monroe hid out at Cowles' Connecticut house, wearing "oversize men's trousers, an old pullover, and tennis shoes." Over the years, the sex symbol had an air of "constant anxiety." "

This refers to Bertha Vester's diaries, source: http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/collections/am...ony/vester.html

"The diaries also contain references to Vester’s views about dissent among colony members and the conflicts raging in the region and in the greater outside world. They record Vester’s travels, particularly her numerous trips to the United States, and the acquaintances she made among the little-known and the famous, from Nancy Astor to Marilyn Monroe (whom Bertha met at Fleur Cowles’s country home in Connecticut), Dwight D. Eisenhower, Pearl Buck, or Norman Vincent Peale."

Here is more on the time spent with Cowles, from:http://theesotericcuriosa.blogspot.com/2012/10/hsh-princess-marilyn-of-monaco-near.html

"Simply put, the big spenders were not coming to Monaco. A decade after World War II, the Principality had a drab and dated air and gave the appearance of the fading dowager of the Riviera.

Onassis was deeply concerned about what he described as this ‘legend in decline!’ In his calculating estimation, Monaco had lost it’s sparkle, accordingly he complained in 1955 to his friend George Schlee during a cruise he took with Schlee and Great Garbo every summer. The place was nothing if it did not have glamour. Could not Schlee find some chic and scintillating American personality that young Prince Rainier could marry? It would attract, rich Americans – and might also put a smile on the rather lugubrious Prince. Onassis had all sorts of means by which he could bring a pretty girl to Monaco and make sure that she and Rainier would meet.

Schlee, a Russian born financier married to the famous fashion designer Valentina; ironically they met at a train station in Sebastopol while she was fleeing the country, seemed an odd choice for such a mission. Regardless, Schlee carried the challenge back to America to Gardner Cowles, the loquacious founder and publisher of Look magazine, who took great pleasure in broadcasting the story widely in later years – to the considerable irritation of Prince Rainier. Interestingly enough at the time, the Prince had not the slightest inkling of the activities of his self-appointed matchmakers, and he was less than amused by their idea of a chic and scintillating Princess, none other than, Norma Jeane Mortenson; American actress, model, and singer, who became the major sex symbol and box office draw, Marilyn Monroe.

At the time Marilyn Monroe was staying with Milton Green, the photographer, not far from Cowles’ home in Connecticut and Cowles duly invited the star over for drinks to see how she felt about the prospect of marriage to the Prince of Monaco.

‘Is he rich” Is he handsome?’ Marilyn wanted to know, giggling happily at the idea of marriage to the Prince whom the party disrespectfully dubbed ‘Reindeer.’ Also, she had no idea where Monaco was – ‘was it somewhere in Africa?’ – but she had little doubt that she could capture the heart of its retiring young ruler. ‘Give me two days alone with him,’ she said to Gardner Cowles, ‘and of course he’ll want to marry me.’

As the fates would have it, by the time this little group was joking over Marilyn Monroe’s future beside Gardner Cowles Connecticut swimming pool, Prince Rainier was deep in correspondence with a film star who had a very different image, Grace Kelly.

All things being equal, since Marilyn was divorcing her second husband Joe DiMaggio, at the time, it is unlikely that a Catholic country such as Monaco would have accepted her candidacy as future Princesse de Monaco.

Certainly one of history's 'might have beens!' "

This post has been edited by Mezzo: Nov 20 2012, 02:54 PM

+Quote Post
meganmarilyn
post Nov 20 2012, 03:27 PM
Post #17
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

This post has been edited by meganmarilyn: Nov 23 2015, 08:51 PM

+Quote Post
Mezzo
post Nov 20 2012, 05:54 PM
Post #18
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I agree, meganmarilyn. I don't think she was that interested, period.

I have read that when Grace Kelly married Ranier, Marilyn congratulated her and basically told her that she was happy that Grace had found a way to have a life outside of Hollywood.

This post has been edited by Mezzo: Nov 20 2012, 06:00 PM

+Quote Post
linkeando
post May 17 2013, 10:08 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

QUOTE(chickeyonthego @ Jul 7 2004, 12:49 AM) *

ops, I need your help... I got another information about this story:

Mrs. Vester figured in the Marilyn-had-a-laugh story. Jerusalem’s American grande dame was at the Long Island, New York home of a wealthy Mrs. Longfellow, who headed a fund-raising group to aid Vester’s Jerusalem charities.

Before dinner, Mrs. Vester found herself talking to a beautiful young woman to whom she had not been introduced. Finally Mrs. Vester said apologetically, “I’m sorry, my dear, but what is your name?”¯ “Marilyn Monroe,”¯ answered the stunning younger woman before breaking into peals of laughter when she realized that despite all of Hollywood’s hype, there still was at least one American who didn’t recognize either her face or name.

When Mrs. Vester told the story on returning to Jerusalem, no one knew why Marilyn Monroe had been present. Perhaps it was while she was married to New York playwright Arthur Miller. But the story demonstrated not just that Hollywood was a distant constellation from Jerusalem, but that many even worldly residents of the holy city regarded it as the center of the world.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th December 2019 - 06:11 AM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.