Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :

> Read before you post anything

May 6th 2005 : NEW RULES!

Before you start to post here, please remember that this is the place to ask only questions related to a photo or photographer, dates or events etc. It's not the right forum to post requests for/like

- bigger sizes
- without the watermark
- more from this session etc.

Those (for example) belong to the "Pictures Requests" subforum.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dates For 1955 Eve Arnold Photos
Share |
MissCaswell
post Nov 11 2021, 11:39 AM
Post #1
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

I looked through a few photo threads, but I can't find a comprehensive discussion about this.

In her book Marilyn Monroe, Eve Arnold writes that among the first photo ops she had with Marilyn were the playground and leopard suit sittings at Long Island, while Marilyn was staying with the Rostens. Arnold dates these to "late summer" of 1952. I think it's fairly well-established, though, that they were actually taken in 1955. As far as I know, Marilyn didn't even know the Rostens in 1952. In the Eve Arnold thread here, I read that these sittings would have taken place in September 1955, because that's when Marilyn was staying with the Rostens on Long Island.

Well, how do we explain the date of the Arnold photos from the Bement trip, then? To my knowledge, that took place a month earlier - 6 Aug 1955. In other words, Bement should have been their first collaboration. Yet Arnold writes that Marilyn phoned her practically in the middle of the night and asked her to come along to Bement. Why would she have done that if thay had never worked together before? Did Eve and Marilyn meet on Long Island on several occasions that year, perhaps?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th December 2021 - 08:17 PM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.