Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Reopening The Forum To New Members
Share |
Fav
post Jun 1 2019, 12:02 PM
Post #1
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Not sure if any mods or admins will see this, hopefully so. I was wondering if you would reconsider opening up the forum to new members again. This used to be a really busy site with many people commenting and posting new topics. Gradually over the years since it became a closed group I've watched it slow down to the point where nothing has been posted that is new since mid May in general discussion and other topics have ground to a halt. Appreciate it would mean more moderating time for those who do it and there are always going to be difficult new posters to a forum who are out to cause mischief but it would be great to inject some new life into this forum and bring it back to it's hey day when it was a lively place full of lots of vigorous discussion about Marilyn from fans all around the world.

Any mods out there with any thoughts on this?

Thank you for listening.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
memaria
post Jun 1 2019, 04:31 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

That sounds like a great idea. I've never been an active poster here but I remember when new info and pictures were posted almost daily. This site is a Marilyn-bible for me. You couldn't even fill a book. But a lot is missed due to no new members.

I'm an admin of two facebook groups, that I sometimes have no time for, and any long-time, serious member with a high post count can expect a request to mod. Also because they are from all over the world there is always someone there to take care of stuff.

I hope they reconsider!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

+Quote Post
JC 96816
post Jun 5 2019, 06:18 PM
Post #3
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/marilynbybrandon_190.gif) I agree, we should have more new members and new posts especially photos and articles and newsletters.

+Quote Post
Stacy
post Jun 13 2019, 05:32 PM
Post #4
Dearest Poo...

Group Icon

I agree, maybe some new blood would revive things on ES. I think some of the problem lately is a result of server issues. It's been hit or miss whether we will be able to see pictures that have been posted. I know that Mels and others are working diligently to correct these issues. It is discouraging to check in daily and not see much activity at all, especially if you've posted something and it can't be seen. It proves frustrating. It is beginning to be a ghost town.
Thanks Fav for suggesting something to generate activity.

+Quote Post
Fav
post Jun 13 2019, 07:37 PM
Post #5
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Thanks Stacy, JC and Marianne. I've not really noticed the pictures issue on here. For me it's just the activity I miss and the variety of ideas, topics and discussions. I can only think that allowing new blood in here will solve that and breathe new life into the place. I really hope it will be considered otherwise this wonderful forum will soon grind to a complete halt. Fingers crossed. I've messaged board owner Mels about this. Hopefully she'll come back to me/post on here soon to advise if it could be considered.

+Quote Post
Tara
post Jun 20 2019, 12:22 AM
Post #6
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

I understand all your concerns but unfortunately it's not possible with all the technical issues we're facing. As others have mentioned we're constantly dealing with pictures not showing up and the site crashing. Some of you may remember the major spam attacks we experienced which led to us becoming a closed community, and I no longer have enough spare time to deal with spam subscriptions and general moderation. The code is so old that the boards cannot send activation emails anymore (they are not compatible with "recent" email protocols). New subscriptions require the sending of emails (for account activation and password creation), therefore meaning that re-opening subscriptions is not possible. Sorry I don't have better news for you all at this time, but this is where we stand.

+Quote Post
Stacy
post Jun 20 2019, 07:32 PM
Post #7
Dearest Poo...

Group Icon

Thank you for the explanation and for getting back to us. Thank you as well for your hard work to fix the problems as ES.

+Quote Post
Fav
post Jun 21 2019, 08:08 PM
Post #8
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(Tara @ Jun 20 2019, 12:22 AM) *
I understand all your concerns but unfortunately it's not possible with all the technical issues we're facing. As others have mentioned we're constantly dealing with pictures not showing up and the site crashing. Some of you may remember the major spam attacks we experienced which led to us becoming a closed community, and I no longer have enough spare time to deal with spam subscriptions and general moderation. The code is so old that the boards cannot send activation emails anymore (they are not compatible with "recent" email protocols). New subscriptions require the sending of emails (for account activation and password creation), therefore meaning that re-opening subscriptions is not possible. Sorry I don't have better news for you all at this time, but this is where we stand.

Hi Tara. Long time no speak! I hope you are well. I didn't realise this was all on your shoulders. I thought it was Mels' board. There are a lot of cant's there. Much of which is potentially solvable if the spirit is willing. Re technical issues - I believe it may be possible to move a forum to a more up to date platform which would potentially solve issues with pictures not showing up, the site crashing, old codes, activation emails, new subscriptions. Please can you advise if this has been looked into? It probably has so all detail would be welcome. I do remember some of the spam issues but thats part and parcel of having a board like this in the first place, as is the moderation - of which mods could be recruited to assist. Other forums seem to manage spam issues ok so I'm not sure what it was about it here that could not be handled. It doesn't have to all be on your shoulders. The way things are at the moment though, this board is going to become extinct and die a death by its own hand which would be such a shame as it is such a wonderful resource and place to be.

+Quote Post
Alanma
post Jun 21 2019, 10:17 PM
Post #9
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Fav has put this very well. It would truly be a tragedy if this Board were to falter and die. I cannot, I confess, offer an off-the-cuff solution. Has independent professional advice been sought ? If not, and it is a matter of finance, please let us know. I, for one, would be more than willing to contribute to preserving this site which has given so many so much pleasure, insight and knowledge for no cost to them.

+Quote Post
memaria
post Jun 22 2019, 02:19 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Very good posts Fav and Alan!
I agree everything is potentially solvable, and upgrading an old board with tons of files is very doable, with time, money and the right resources/ professionals to do it.
And enough interest by admins, mods and members. Nothing will be done here as long as noone is willing or motivated enough.
I guess we should be grateful ES is still it up at all.
I was so relieved today when I logged in and saw the pictures were back up!

+Quote Post
Stacy
post Jun 22 2019, 06:24 PM
Post #11
Dearest Poo...

Group Icon

Yes, thanks Fav. Good suggestions. We can only help if we are allowed. ES has a great resource of people, use us!

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Jun 26 2019, 03:48 AM
Post #12
Daisy

Group Icon

[quote name='Tara' date='Jun 19 2019, 11:22 PM' post='246629']
I understand all your concerns but unfortunately it's not possible with all the technical issues we're facing. As others have mentioned we're constantly dealing with pictures not showing up and the site crashing.

Thank you Tara for explaining things to us . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/marilynbybrandon_190.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/throb.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) Hello everybody !! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/throb.gif)
Remember this post from Mels from 2010 ?
http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/?showtopic=16280

"I have bad news to announce today, and it's heartbreaking for me to let you know that time has now come for us to say goodbye to this website and forums, as the hosting costs have become too important for me."

And this was my reply then...
"I CANNOT express well enough what ES means to me, so I will not try. And I will do my share of anything that needs to be done to stop ES from leaving me/us."

I don't know. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) I agree with Fav that new members would help bring some life back into our group. But I understand that Tara is saying that there are many other issues involved. If there's anything we CAN do Tara, I want to help ! I too am willing to contribute moneys if need be. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yes.gif)
I will keep checking in and praying for good news. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbup1.gif)

Love, Nettie (IMG:style_emoticons/default/throb.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

+Quote Post
Fav
post Jun 28 2019, 06:02 PM
Post #13
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Thanks Nettie and Alan for your contributions and thoughts. Also thanks again to Stacy and also to Marianne again. What a wonderful amount of positivity and so great and heartwarming to hear your thoughts about it all and the fact that you all want to help ES. I think it is hands down the best Marilyn resource online. Would be a shame to lose it or for it to just die out.

Tara or Mels it would be great to have some further feedback on our questions and thoughts. As ES members, we await your responses.

+Quote Post
Mezzo
post Jul 12 2019, 04:11 AM
Post #14
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I have not been very active recently. I understand the issues with opening the forum up to new members. When I began to research Marilyn Monroe, this place and its information was extremely important to me. I was thrilled to "meet" others who were enthusiasts, as I am. I received some very kind and treasured communications from other members here, and I consider those people to be my friends. If it is possible to move forward and welcome new members again, I am willing to support the efforts. I don't understand all of the technical challenges, but I do understand the importance of Everlasting-star. Thank you to Tara and Mels, and to all of the members who have contributed and continue to do so.

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Jul 13 2019, 05:04 AM
Post #15
Daisy

Group Icon

QUOTE(Mezzo @ Jul 12 2019, 03:11 AM) *
I have not been very active recently. I understand the issues with opening the forum up to new members. When I began to research Marilyn Monroe, this place and its information was extremely important to me. I was thrilled to "meet" others who were enthusiasts, as I am. I received some very kind and treasured communications from other members here, and I consider those people to be my friends. If it is possible to move forward and welcome new members again, I am willing to support the efforts. I don't understand all of the technical challenges, but I do understand the importance of Everlasting-star. Thank you to Tara and Mels, and to all of the members who have contributed and continue to do so.

Sorry, Off Topic. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavetowel2.gif)
Hi Mary !! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) Long time no see. So happy to hear from ya here. I hope you're doing GREAT !
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/marilynbybrandon_190.gif) Love, Nettie

+Quote Post
Fav
post Jul 25 2019, 09:23 PM
Post #16
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(Fav @ Jun 28 2019, 06:02 PM) *
Thanks Nettie and Alan for your contributions and thoughts. Also thanks again to Stacy and also to Marianne again. What a wonderful amount of positivity and so great and heartwarming to hear your thoughts about it all and the fact that you all want to help ES. I think it is hands down the best Marilyn resource online. Would be a shame to lose it or for it to just die out.

Tara or Mels it would be great to have some further feedback on our questions and thoughts. As ES members, we await your responses.

Would be great to get a further response to these questions/queries.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th August 2019 - 01:41 AM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.