Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Marilyn Monroe‘s 1956 Ford Thunderbird Is Going Up For Auction, Julien’s Auctions on Nov. 17
Share |
Joan Newman
post Oct 2 2018, 11:46 AM
Post #1
Daisy

Group Icon

https://people.com/movies/marilyn-monroe-19...d-auction/'

Marilyn Monroe's 1956 Ford Thunderbird is going up for auction at Julien's Auctions on Nov. 17 in Los Angeles and online. The car, which could rake in between $300,000 and $500,000 belonged to the screen siren from 1955 to 1962, according to a press release.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbup1.gif)
Attached File(s)
Attached File 88888888888888888888888.jpg ( 255.43K )Number of downloads: 13
Attached File marilyn_monroe_s_ford_thunderbird.jpg ( 918.8K )Number of downloads: 8
Attached File marilyn_monroe_s_ford_thunderbird__2_.jpg ( 750.03K )Number of downloads: 8

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fav
post Oct 4 2018, 09:30 PM
Post #2
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Further info inc public exhibition info http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions/20...wood/index.html

Join Julien’s on November 16th and 17th, 2018 for an outstanding auction featuring Marilyn Monroe’s 1956 Ford Thunderbird (estimate: $300,000 - $500,000.) This stunning Ford Thunderbird owned by the star from 1955 to 1962 will be sold as part of our annual blockbuster event ICONS & IDOLS: HOLLYWOOD and another 500 lots of Hollywood’s greatest legends to take place on November 16th and 17th, 2018 live in Los Angeles and online at JuliensLive.com.

Soon after buying the Thunderbird, Monroe married the celebrated playwright Arthur Miller. A published report at the time suggests that Monroe and Miller drove this vehicle to their civil wedding ceremony on June 28, 1956 and likely their private wedding on June 30, 1956. It was a powerful car for its time, with a 225 horsepower V-8 engine and a top speed of 113 MPH. The car features a complete dual, through the bumper exhaust system, giving a deep throaty roar at speed--adding to its "va-va voom" personality.

Monroe owned this gorgeous vehicle for six years until generously giving it as an 18th birthday gift to John Strasberg, the son of director and her acting coach Lee Strasberg and his wife Paula. Legal transfer likely took place only a few short months before Monroe’s tragic death August 5, 1962.

+Quote Post
sneyder69
post Oct 4 2018, 11:17 PM
Post #3
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

This is very strange, and hard to believe. Susan Strasberg wrote in her book ‘ Marilyn , Sisters , Etc’ that Marilyn gave the Thhnderbird to John Strasberg as a gift back in 1956......

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Oct 5 2018, 04:14 PM
Post #4
Daisy

Group Icon

John Strasberg Born: May 20, 1941

John Strasberg on Marilyn Monroe: �€œShe Really Looked At Me As If She Saw Me.�€�
Posted on November 19, 2005 by sheila

http://www.sheilaomalley.com/?p=3915

I think I was talking about cars to Mother and Father. You know how I loved cars. I’d just come home and it was going to be my eighteenth birthday. I’d wanted to come for that.

Mother and Father hadn’t wanted me to come. “Why don’t you wait till the end of the year?” Well, i’d already been kicked out of college. They didn’t know yet.

When I’d gone off at the airport, I’d turned to Mother and said, “For two cents, I won’t go.” Nobody gave me the two cents, but I’d meant it. What I’d wanted to do was work. I’d wanted to work from the time I was fifteen, and they were always against any effort on my part to be strong or independent. I remember how much I resented it. “You don’t have to work, we’ll take care of everything,” undermining me.

So I was talking about cars, no one was listening, and Marilyn was there and out of the blue said, “Why don’t you take my car, Johnny?”

I thought I hadn’t heard her right, and I said, “What?” She had remembered the summer before, in California, I’d had that Chevy I’d rented. God, I loved that car, a ’57 Bel Air silver Chevy, and she had the Thunderbird.

She continued, “I’ve got the Ford Mustang the corporation gave me, and Arthur and I have a car. That one’s just sitting in the garage, we don’t use it.”

I was stunned. I couldn’t believe she meant it.

Mother and Father were horrified; they didn’t like it at all. I don’t know if it felt like too much to give me or if they were worried about my driving in my state of mind, but they objected strenuously. “He’s too young. Maybe later, Marilyn. You don’t have to. It’s impossible, he can’t afford it, it could be dangerous.”

Marilyn just said, “Well, don’t worry about any of that, it’s in the corporation’s name, so I’ll take care of the insurance.”

I’ll never forget that … There were so few, so very few people who were generous like that. Especially to me, who couldn’t do anything for her.

I think that car saved my life.

+Quote Post
Stacy
post Oct 5 2018, 04:32 PM
Post #5
Dearest Poo...

Group Icon

That's what I remembered, she gave it to John Strasberg as a gift. She was never seen in it after that.

+Quote Post
blondealways
post Oct 8 2018, 01:36 AM
Post #6
Marilyn Fan For Life!

Group Icon

It's too bad that he is not keeping it in the family, If anything I hope that it ends up with someone that loves her as much as we all do and will take care and cherish it. It's a part of her, I love photos of her in it with Arthur and Milton and just Arthur.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th October 2018 - 12:07 PM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.