Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Essential Marilyn Monroe By Milton H. Greene
Share |
lois_laurel
post Sep 17 2017, 12:09 PM
Post #1
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Amazon.com: Milton H. Greene (1922-1985), famous for his fashion photography and celebrity portraits from the golden age of Hollywood, met Marilyn Monroe on a photo shoot for Look magazine in 1953. The pair developed an instant rapport, quickly becoming close friends and ultimately business partners. In 1954, after helping her get out of her studio contract with 20th Century Fox, they created Marilyn Monroe Productions, Inc. Milton and Marilyn were much more then business partners, Marilyn became a part of the Greene family. By the time their relationship had ended in 1957, the pair had produced two feature films, in addition to more than 5,000 photographs of the iconic beauty. There was magic in Milton and Marilyn's working relationship. The trust and confidence they had in each other's capabilities was on full display in each photo.

Greene passed in 1985, thinking his life's work was succumbing to the ravages of time. His eldest son, Joshua, began a journey to meticulously restore his father's legacy. A photographer himself, Joshua spent years researching ways to restore his father's photographs as well as cataloging and promoting Milton's vast body of work all over the world. As a result, Joshua established 'The Archives,' a company committed to the restoration and preservation of photography. After spending nearly two decades restoring his father's archive, Joshua Greene and his company are widely regarded as one of the leaders in photographic restoration and have been at the forefront of the digital imaging and large-format printing revolution.

Now for the first time Joshua Greene, in conjunction with Iconic Images, presents The Essential Marilyn Monroe: Milton H. Greene, 50 Sessions. With 280 photographs, including many never-before published and unseen images, newly scanned and restored classics, as well as images that have appeared only once in publication, Milton H. Greene's Marilyn Monroe archive can finally be viewed as it was originally intended when these pictures were first produced more than 60 years ago. These classic sessions 50 in all cover Monroe at the height of her astonishing beauty and meteoric fame. From film-sets to the bedroom, at home and at play, Joshua has curated a lasting tribute to the work of a great photographer and his greatest muse.

Poignant and powerful, joyful and stunning these breath-taking images of an icon stand above all the rest and The Essential Marilyn Monroe by Milton H. Greene will sure to be a book that will become the platinum standard in photography monographs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I order my copy today (German edition, 360 pages) and I can't wait to get it. When English edition will be published I'll buy that too beacuse there are 372 pages. 12 pages more than German edition.

BUT I have my doubts about this book. So far the photos I have seen - I have already seen them years ago. Some of the new photos are cropped and small and this is a disapointment to me.

If you have this book let me know what you think of it, please.

This post has been edited by lois_laurel: Sep 17 2017, 12:16 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
chris
post Sep 17 2017, 05:14 PM
Post #2
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

It seems really an amazing one like the Complete Last Sitting with Bert Stern
I can see some rare pictures from this last one and WOW i've never seen them
I ordered two copies one in French and the othe in English as cover seems different

+Quote Post
Alanma
post Sep 17 2017, 11:18 PM
Post #3
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I ordered a copy of this from Amazon back in May. Yesterday they emailed me with the news that they have still not found a supplier !
At least they have not charged me for it yet.

+Quote Post
flowing stream
post Sep 18 2017, 02:49 AM
Post #4
Super admirer

Group Icon

All the reviews so far seem in awe of this publication. I agree from what I have seen so far. My copy was initially ordered from the Book Depository, but like Amazon they do not have available copies and won't until the end of October. It seems too long to wait. So I cancelled the order I initially placed with the Book Depository and kindly got a refund. If you would like a copy now go to ACC Publishing-the publisher and order a copy directly from them. Their copies are available now! Hope this helps (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

https://www.accpublishinggroup.com/uk

This post has been edited by flowing stream: Sep 18 2017, 02:50 AM

+Quote Post
Alanma
post Sep 21 2017, 09:48 PM
Post #5
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Thank you for your helpful suggestion, Livia.
Amazon sent me an email yesterday promising delivery next week.
Perhaps they have been to the Book Depository too !

+Quote Post
flowing stream
post Sep 21 2017, 11:19 PM
Post #6
Super admirer

Group Icon

QUOTE(Alanma @ Sep 22 2017, 08:48 AM) *
Thank you for your helpful suggestion, Livia.
Amazon sent me an email yesterday promising delivery next week.
Perhaps they have been to the Book Depository too !

You are welcome. Yes that may be right. Book Depository has available copies now. Thank you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

+Quote Post
Alanma
post Sep 24 2017, 12:08 PM
Post #7
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

A review today. The article appears to be in today's Mail-on-Sunday magazine supplement, "Event".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/event/arti...een-before.html

+Quote Post
Stacy
post Sep 24 2017, 05:51 PM
Post #8
Dearest Poo...

Group Icon

Thanks for the "heads-up."

+Quote Post
lois_laurel
post Sep 26 2017, 02:09 PM
Post #9
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Okay, got my German edition today and I'm very happy with that. It's worth to buy for. A couple of things bothers me though: weird colors in some pictures and there are too much photos from the sittings Black, Bus Stop and The Prince and the showgirl. I would have liked to see more photos from the sittings Gray fur and Tree.

Now I'm waiting for the English edition because there are 12 more pages than in German edition. I hope those pages are not the text but the photos.

This post has been edited by lois_laurel: Sep 26 2017, 02:09 PM

+Quote Post
Alanma
post Sep 26 2017, 05:52 PM
Post #10
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

My English edition arrived today from Amazon. It is certainly a beautiful production - large and heavy - don't drop it on your foot !
I have not gone through the whole thing in detail yet - having gone straight to the TPATS section!
There is a slight error in the introductory caption.
Not vital, but, just for the record, the "hairstyle" pictures were not taken in the "backyard" of Parkside House, but in the carriage turn-around at the front of the house, where
the high hedges kept the wind off her curls !

+Quote Post
blondealways
post Feb 25 2018, 10:13 PM
Post #11
Marilyn Fan For Life!

Group Icon

Finally got "The Essential Marilyn Monroe By Milton Greene: 50 Sessions" It is Fabulous and just a must have!
Loooooove this!!!!!
Attached File(s)
Attached File By_Milton_Greene_1.jpg ( 645.72K )Number of downloads: 7
Attached File By_Milton_Greene_2.jpg ( 571.87K )Number of downloads: 8
Attached File By_Milton_Greene_3.jpg ( 411.83K )Number of downloads: 7

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2018 - 08:02 AM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.