Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fashion Designer Elgee Bove And Marilyn, Newspaper articles 1953-1956
Share |
Joan Newman
post Jul 8 2017, 10:51 PM
Post #1
Daisy

Group Icon

PLEASE post what you have... or find. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

June 8, 1953

SWEET THOUGHTS OF MARYLIN MONROE--Who wouldn't change places with a guy whose job is to design gowns and fit them to such lovely forms as Marylin Monroe and Denise Darcel?

Elgee Bove of 5521 King's Highway is the lad, said the press release, whose clever hands mold fashionable gowns on Ava Gardner, Denise Darcel and - Marilyn Monroe !

April 29,1954

Elgee Bove, the 19 year old designer who use to be a movie theater usher but since has made good whipping up silken fripperies for such beauties as Judy Garland and Marilyn Monroe.

August 27, 1955

The skyscraper statue of Eva Peron, currently being completed in Argentina's capital, will be "clothed" in a marble replica of the costume she wore for her audience with the Pope a few years ago. It was designed for her by Elgee Bove, the young American who later went on to create less inhibited numbers- Judy Garland's duds for the Palace and Marilyn Monroe's purple cocktail dress for Korea,

July 20, 1956

(Dorothy Kilgallen is on vacation. Her guest columnist is the young American designer, Elgee Bove)

Since I feel the bustline is the most important and interesting part of a woman's figure, I have never designed a dress that hides it. In this respect I've had fine co-operation from Marilyn Monroe. It's no secret that Marilyn scorns the use of bras and girdle but it should be news to her fans that in every Monroe creation I ever made, I've utilized a cupped bodice every time. This blonde godess wastes no time in explaining how and where she wants her bosom played up. She approaches each suggested design as though it were a blueprint. She can discuss the importance of building in a basic form in any dress as though she was a devout student of architecture. She admitted to me that she has gotten to know herself thoroughly and intimately, as others see her.

When Monroe is "on", no one tops her. Basically she's very shy and modest during the course of fittings. Not until the gown has been executed and meets with her final approval will she stroll about the premises talking to staff members. She radiates charm and gaiety in gowns that give her " a nice, smooth feeling."

Fashion designer Elgee Bove, with measuring tape around neck, seated next to rolls of fabric. Caption on verso: "Sweet Thoughts of Marilyn Monore: Who wouldn't change places with a guy whose job is to design gowns and fit them to such lovely forms as Marilyn Monroe and Denise Darcel? Elgee Bove's creations for America's most famous frames have received top billing in the fashion world."

September 14, 1956

Miss. Monroe also created a flurry in London when she wore a high-necked subdued white chiffon Bove gown that minimized her famous features, an event possibly some men deplore.

August 23, 1962

Many people claim invention of the little nothing dress. As far as designer Elgee Bove is concerned, it was all Marilyn Monroe's idea.

It was the late star, he says, who asked him to make her a dress like a slip- a figure-revealing style which she promptly made her signature and which was quickly emulated throughout the world.

http://www.troublemag.com/a-moment-with-marilyn-part-3/

Monroe锟解‚„ close friend, the poet and novelist Norman Rosten (1913-95), elaborated, 锟解‚“As a young starlet, Marilyn couldn锟解‚„ afford changes of clothes to go out on a date or to a dance, but that was never a problem. On call or off salary, the wardrobe department was there to help. Marilyn had the pick of the 20th Century Fox wardrobe department. True, the gowns were dated and mostly ill-fitting at the bosom. That never bothered her, it amused her锟解‚拷.

In Tokyo, the DiMaggios attended a cocktail party for high-ranking Army officers, and Monroe was asked if she would visit South Korea to entertain American troops. A week after their arrival, Monroe flew out to perform at ten military bases (16-19 February).

One of the first items in the Marilyn Monroe exhibition is the beaded aubergine Cocktail dress and matching bolero (1950's) by designer Elgee Bove that she wore to perform on make-shift stages at army bases. As the whirlwind tour was impromptu, the dress is from Monroe锟解‚„ private wardrobe. She had worn it on numerous previous occasions, including to the Redbook Magazine Awards in 1953 where she was photographed with Dean Martin (1917-95) and Jerry Lewis, AM.

Note: I know this Korea dress has been credited to Ceil Chapman.
http://kittensandaprons.blogspot.com/2012/...lyn-monroe.html
Monroe just before hitting the stage in Korea, 1954. Ceil Chapman eggplant purple beaded dress
Attached File(s)
Attached File 1953_june_8.jpg ( 924.7K )Number of downloads: 5
Attached File 1954_Apr_29__MM_Judy_Garland.png ( 60.95K )Number of downloads: 5
Attached File 1955_aug_27_Korea_dress.png ( 319.02K )Number of downloads: 1
Attached File 1956_july_20.png ( 842.99K )Number of downloads: 2
Attached File 1956_sept_London_Chiffon_Dress.png ( 396.4K )Number of downloads: 5
Attached File 1962_aug_3_elgee_bove_little_nothing_dress___Copy.jpg ( 868.59K )Number of downloads: 8
Attached File trouble_mag.png ( 915.82K )Number of downloads: 7

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stacy
post Jul 11 2017, 05:26 AM
Post #2
Dearest Poo...

Group Icon

I think he is vastly overlooked as a designer to Marilyn and I was happy to document his time with her, including creating her Korea dress, in my book Holding a Good Thought for Marilyn.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 07:41 PM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.