Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Show Business Nobody Knows [earl Wilson] 1971, Shocking details about Marilyn
Share |
Joan Newman
post Jun 12 2015, 03:14 AM
Post #1
Daisy

Group Icon

Pg. 278
Going once to interview Mitchum, I found him and a press agent so deep in conversation when I arrived at his hotel suite that they ignored me and continued talking. "What the hell are you two talking about that's so fascinating ? I asked peevishly. "Marilyn Monroe's vagina." Mitchum answered. He demonstrated what he meant by his gestures. Due to its peculiar construction, he continued, in a learned fashion, Marilyn got sicker and suffered more pain and discomfort than most girls during menstruation.

Pg. 282
The last years of her life was heartbreaking to her friends. Some of them actually thought she would be "put away ". But these same people feared if she were placed in a mental hospital, she would be driven to kill herself. Yet they also knew that if she were allowed to remain at home without being carefully watched, she might die of an overdose of sleeping pills and liquor. That was the problem facing Marilyn's friends in the summer of 1962.

Pg. 283
Though I did not especially treasure it then, now I value very highly my first interview with Marilyn Monroe, dated July 24, 1949. Heading for Europe for a few weeks, I needed some "Saturday pieces", for the magazine section. They had to be written ahead of time.

I had no real desire to see her. She was an unknown. The press agents for the Shorehaven Beach Club in the Bronx, one of whom was Spencer Hare, had been trying to persuade the papers to print pictures of her in a bathing suit. When she came back to town as a starlet rying to promote a doubtful movie, I agreed to do the interview, but I was unenthusiastic: I would have preferred to interview Esther Williams or Paulette Goddard.

Still, it was a dull, drowsy summer, and I was going to Europe. There was nobody around who looked more promising than this blonde they were calling the "Mmmmmm Girl " in a buildup undertaken by producer Lester Cowan on behalf of his film Love happy, starring Groucho Marx.

Since my interview was "written ahead", I can't be sure now just when I did it. Consequently, I can't swear that I was the first New York reporter to interview her. It was either Sidney Fields, then of the New York Mirror, or me; we had pieces in print about the same time. Neither of our interviews about Marilyn Monroe excited anybody very much- unless it was Marilyn Monroe who in those early days got excited about any kind of publicity. Anyway, a couple of years later when she was a big star and all the press wanted to interview her, she showed me her scrapbook with my interview pasted in it- practically in front.

Marilyn impressed me as having a rather wooden face and a stiff, almost graceless body the first time I saw her in person. I remember Lester Cowan taking me aside and telling me that I was not to judge her by that wooden look. "This little dame," Cowan assured me, "could really be a big star. The minute most guys see her, they want to jump her."

Marilyn didnt especially excite me, nor did I intrigue her on that hot Saturday at the Sherry-Netherland Hotel. It was a pretty dull interview. Across the top of the newspaper spread that appeared later was a five-column picture of Marilyn, her bountiful chest overflowing the whole area. Her bust was creamy-looking againt the black lace top of her negligee. The heading was " Mmmmmm Girl ".

My interview ended with Marilyn stating that she was a little starry-eyed about a young movie actor she had never met- Montgomery Cliff.

"He's got tremendous talent," she said. "And, she added, of course, "Mmmmmmm.'"

As a birthday present, she autographed a large portrait of herself- "To Rosemary- Thanks for sharing Earl with me on your birthday, To me she explained, "I only have about six of these portraits. I am saving them for my grandchildren"- the children of the children she would never have.

Marilyn couldn't have children, so we were told, because an early lover and sponsor had persuaded her to have her Fallopian tubes tied just when she was starting out in her career as an actress. Allegedly this man told her she was going to have to go to bed with men if she wanted to be an actress and that she should take precautions against getting pregnant.

Pages 292-293
Milton Mickey Rudin, lawyer
Marilyn was constantly talking to him about changing her will.

"I avoided the subject," he told me. and there was an eloquence in his glance when he mentioned that there is a well-established legal principle that anybody making a will must be of sound mind. " You had a girl here, " Rudin told me in his office, "who feared most being institutionalized. She was obviously deeply ill. She suffered a mental disease that you would have to deny existed. She had no relatives who could say yes or no to temporary institutionalization. Maybe she should have been institutionalized, giving no thought to her work, but there was no predicting what would happen once she was signed into one of those places."
Attached File(s)
Attached File 278_279.jpg ( 775.03K )Number of downloads: 44
Attached File 280_281.jpg ( 169.79K )Number of downloads: 29
Attached File 282_283.jpg ( 726.11K )Number of downloads: 24
Attached File 284_285.jpg ( 738.44K )Number of downloads: 24
Attached File 286_287.jpg ( 758.55K )Number of downloads: 38
Attached File 288_289.jpg ( 829K )Number of downloads: 50
Attached File 290_291.jpg ( 909.75K )Number of downloads: 34
Attached File 292_293.jpg ( 796.74K )Number of downloads: 29
Attached File 294_295.jpg ( 725.04K )Number of downloads: 30
Attached File 296_297.jpg ( 762.93K )Number of downloads: 26
Attached File 298.jpg ( 184.57K )Number of downloads: 29

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stacy
post Jun 13 2015, 06:57 AM
Post #2
Dearest Poo...

Group Icon

Thank you for sharing this. Some of this is disturbing, and some is insightful, especially the early remembrances.

+Quote Post
Amber Nichols
post Jun 28 2015, 02:41 PM
Post #3
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I wonder just how much of this is fact?? (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/hmm.gif)

+Quote Post
CYRILPARIS
post Jul 8 2015, 12:53 PM
Post #4
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Thank you Netty!
So Marilyn owned a scrapbook! I have never heard of it. Similarly, I don't know if she had retained her first covers.

This post has been edited by CYRILPARIS: Jul 8 2015, 12:54 PM

+Quote Post
linkeando
post Aug 23 2021, 08:32 PM
Post #5
I´ll follow her... always

Group Icon

-not here, deleted, sorry-

This post has been edited by linkeando: Aug 23 2021, 08:33 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st December 2021 - 10:32 AM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.