Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rare Marilyn Monroe And May Britt, New Sammy Davis Book
Share |
Joan Newman
post Apr 12 2014, 05:34 PM
Post #1
Daisy

Group Icon

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif)

Sammy Davis Jr.: A Personal Journey with My Father
By Tracey Davis, Nina Bunche Pierce

Mom and Marilyn Monroe as houseguests of Frank Sinatra mom was pregnant with me at the time

" Mom became an overnight sensation on film posters and magazine covers galore after she won the part in The Blue Angel. The film was a remake of the 1930 classic of the same that had made Marlene Dietrich a star. The part had previously been slated for no less a star than Marilyn Monroe. Mom said there was never any tension between her and Marilyn. She said, 'Years later we were houseguests at Sinatra's place. Marilyn, like me, was shy. Neither of us were the life of the party. I was pregnant with you at the time, and Marilyn and I had our picture taken together. Later it became quite a famous shot.' "
Attached File(s)
Attached File 11111.jpg ( 140.72K )Number of downloads: 129
Attached File 1961.jpg ( 64.78K )Number of downloads: 74
Attached File Untitledo.jpg ( 57.78K )Number of downloads: 46

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Celia
post Apr 12 2014, 07:08 PM
Post #2
Celia

Group Icon

QUOTE(Joan Newman @ Apr 12 2014, 06:34 PM) *
Sammy Davis Jr.: A Personal Journey with My Father
By Tracey Davis, Nina Bunche Pierce
(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif)

Mom and Marilyn Monroe as houseguests of Frank Sinatra mom was pregnant with me at the time

" Mom became an overnight sensation on film posters and magazine covers galore after she won the part in The Blue Angel. The film was a remake of the 1930 classic of the same that had made Marlene Dietrich a star. The part had previously been slated for no less a star than Marilyn Monroe. Mom said there was never any tension between her and Marilyn. She said, 'Years later we were houseguests at Sinatra's place. Marilyn, like me, was shy. Neither of us were the life of the party. I was pregnant with you at the time, and Marilyn and I had our picture taken together. Later it became quite a famous shot.' "

Mom and Marilyn

Woooowwwwwww, Nettiiiiiiiiiiie!!! Is that picture real?? I had never seen it before!! Wonderful! Thanks a lot!! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif) (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif) (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif) (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif)

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Apr 12 2014, 07:18 PM
Post #3
Daisy

Group Icon

It is real. I am so happy too (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/jumpymm.gif) .

The 2nd picture says: May Britt and Sammy Davis, Jr. with new baby Tracey in July 1961.

+Quote Post
audreyfan1
post Apr 12 2014, 09:15 PM
Post #4
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

Thanks! I adore Sammy! I've been waiting forever for this book to finally be released!

+Quote Post
marilyn144
post Apr 13 2014, 12:46 AM
Post #5
Ultimate fan

Group Icon

I found it too!! soooo beautifull!!!!!
Attached File(s)
Attached File 1782089_654284797977530_3485274816085324250_n.jpg ( 563.55K )Number of downloads: 109

+Quote Post
suusmarie
post Apr 13 2014, 12:50 AM
Post #6
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Wow (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/jumpymm.gif)

+Quote Post
Celia
post Apr 14 2014, 03:39 PM
Post #7
Celia

Group Icon

I have read Tracy was born in 1961, I donīt know the month, but it seems the picture must have been taken in spring or summer 1961, donīt you think?

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Apr 14 2014, 09:26 PM
Post #8
Daisy

Group Icon

QUOTE(Celia @ Apr 14 2014, 02:39 PM) *
I have read Tracy was born in 1961, I donīt know the month, but it seems the picture must have been taken in spring or summer 1961, donīt you think?

November 14, 1960

Wedding bells rang for Swedish actress May Britt and entertainer Sammy Davis, Jr. in his Hollywood home yesterday.

July 7 1961

Negro entertainer Sammy Davis Jr., whose blonde wife May Britt gave birth to a daughter Wednesday, says he will take the two ladies home on Sunday.

The baby, named Tracy Hillary, weighed 7 pounds, 7 ounces at birth.

From Tracy's new book:

" First of all, since my father had to postpone the wedding for almost a month, thanks to death threats, demonstrations, and JFK's election, by the time they got married, my mother was already pregnant with me. "

June 21, 1960

Studio Says It Will Not Renew Britt Contract

The studio refused to say if the action was an outgrowth of the blonde Swedish girl's plan to marry Negro entertainer Sammy Davis Jr..

"Let's put it this way," the spokesman said. "Her picture, "The Blue Angel" didn't set any records at the box office. We don't believe we have any further properties...that would suit her."

P.S. All the racial tension towards Sammy and May here. This is what could have happened to Marilyn in 1952 with that one picture of her, Travilla and their Black friend.
Attached File(s)
Attached File 1961_july_7_Tracy_Hillary_Davis_born.jpg ( 14.95K )Number of downloads: 31
Attached File Nov_13_1960_wedding.jpg ( 162.16K )Number of downloads: 35
Attached File 1960_november_14_Sammy_Britt_weds.jpg ( 109.49K )Number of downloads: 32
Attached File 1960_june_21_contract_not_renued_for_Britt.jpg ( 34.27K )Number of downloads: 31

+Quote Post
meganmarilyn
post Jul 12 2014, 07:04 AM
Post #9
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(Joan Newman @ Apr 12 2014, 09:34 AM) *
Marilyn and I had our picture taken together. Later it became quite a famous shot.' "

Famous shot where? In what mag, or book? Most likely the family having that photo in their homes, it became famous.

This post has been edited by meganmarilyn: Jul 12 2014, 07:05 AM

+Quote Post
Margherita
post Jul 12 2014, 06:56 PM
Post #10
Ultimate fan

Group Icon

That is a super wonderful picture of Marilyn ! Is it from 61 or 62 ? She had rather rarely that much sun tan - it looks good, she looks so healthy and pretty. A great picture, I've never seen it before - it's certainly not "famous" - nice to see it, this is one of the pictures I want to put on my wall.

There's also feeling that it's so modern, like taken yesterday. A snapshot with glamour.

+Quote Post
Cello
post Jul 17 2014, 09:34 AM
Post #11
I just want to be wonderful.

Group Icon

saw this on FB some months ago.

There are so many stories of racism in Hollywood and even DC relating to Sammy Davis Jr.

He got booed at the JFK celebration (inauguration)=?) where all the celebrities were there singing the National Anthem. Everyone got cheers. But Sammy got boo'd. And JFK, believe it or not, actually asked him not to show up with May Britt. I think people have this idea of JFK that is far from what he was like. He could have stood up to the racism more, but he actually asked Sammy to not show up with his white wife because people wouldn't like it.

Also, Sinatra came to the rescue when Davis got in a horrible car accident and ended up losing his eye. The hospitals wouldn't take him because he was black! Sinatra drove him around until they found a place where he could get help.

There are many more awful stories...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2017 - 11:15 PM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.