Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Grapefruit Juice For Breakfast?, ..Not so good with Pentobarbital
Share |
Considerate
post Feb 6 2014, 01:22 AM
Post #1
It was great so what the hell!!

Group Icon

Marilyn was generally run down ....
Friday night was another sleepless night. Pat's coughing may have kept her (more) awake.
Saturday was a warm to hot day in LA.

A breakfast of 'grapefruit juice'. (This juice is specifically warned against for consumption with most liver-metabolized drugs.)

Marilyn declined an invite to the Lawford gathering in the late afternoon/early evening due to tiredness - a desire to sleep possibly (seconal/nembutal already today?)

A hot day,what was she drinking ? How much grapefruit juice was in her refrigerator ?

I guess i'm coming to my own sad conclusion (opinion) that since Marilyn likely been using her 'sleep medications' from fairly early in the day , the consumption of grapefruit juice as a documented source of fluid may have contributed to a toxic 'load' that further medications would have imposed on her already somewhat compromised physical constitution.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Celia
post Feb 6 2014, 01:31 PM
Post #2
Celia

Group Icon

QUOTE(Considerate @ Feb 6 2014, 01:22 AM) *
Friday night was another sleepless night. Pat's coughing may have kept her (more) awake.

A breakfast of 'grapefruit juice'. (This juice is specifically warned against for consumption with most liver-metabolized drugs.)

Marilyn declined an invite to the Lawford gathering in the late afternoon/early evening due to tiredness - a desire to sleep possibly (seconal/nembutal already today?)

A hot day,what was she drinking ? How much grapefruit juice was in her refrigerator ?

I guess i'm coming to my own sad conclusion (opinion) that since Marilyn likely been using her 'sleep medications' from fairly early in the day , the consumption of grapefruit juice as a documented source of fluid may have contributed to a toxic 'load' that further medications would have imposed on her already somewhat compromised physical constitution.

I wouldnīt believe a word of what Mrs Murray said. About the grapefruit juice, it could be true or not. I find it odd that she didnīt eat anything else than a juice the whole day. If so , she must have been really depressed and not so normal as she described Marilyn. It is of course possible, but another possibility could be perhaps that Marilyn ate something at noon and vomited everything with the overdose?? ( I am not a doctor, donīt know if in this case some traces of food would have been found in her stomach). That would match the fact that Murray had the washing machine on when the police came, though of course she could have vomited only fluids.
Anyway, I find it weird. How could Mrs Murray know if Marilyn had eaten anything or not? Was she always observing Marilyn?? She could have served herself a sandwich or whatever.

+Quote Post
Considerate
post Feb 6 2014, 02:59 PM
Post #3
It was great so what the hell!!

Group Icon

QUOTE(Celia @ Feb 6 2014, 10:01 PM) *
I wouldnīt believe a word of what Mrs Murray said. About the grapefruit juice, it could be true or not. I find it odd that she didnīt eat anything else than a juice the whole day. If so , she must have been really depressed and not so normal as she described Marilyn. It is of course possible, but another possibility could be perhaps that Marilyn ate something at noon and vomited everything with the overdose?? ( I am not a doctor, donīt know if in this case some traces of food would have been found in her stomach). That would match the fact that Murray had the washing machine on when the police came, though of course she could have vomited only fluids.
Anyway, I find it weird. How could Mrs Murray know if Marilyn had eaten anything or not? Was she always observing Marilyn?? She could have served herself a sandwich or whatever.

I absolutely agree with you Celia that Eunice is likely to have constructed or been scripted to repeat so many fabrications w/r to Marilyns' final hours.
But it is very unlikely that she would have reason to or be directed to fib about her fruit juice consumption.
It would matter little whether any other foods were consumed before after or with any grapefruit products.
It's the chemicals in grapefruit that inhibit cytochrome P450 pathways in the liver/intestine and they are not un-inhibited by consuming other foods.
The warning w/r to this particular juice are printed on a highly significant proportion of medications on the market today. Likely not in the 60's.

I'm not so sure Mrs Murray was a nasty liar as such by nature. I feel she was told to lie by others, and she was not all that good at it. (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/v.gif)

+Quote Post
Margherita
post Feb 10 2014, 06:30 PM
Post #4
Ultimate fan

Group Icon

It is advised that grapefruit juice not to be drinken with quite many drugs , but also all kinds of fruit affect the liver, and are not good for the intestines if eaten too much, also wine etc, vodka is healthier,, even lighter ones that marilyn used - she used barbiturates that arern't muc h used anymore, but I think she would have had to drink at least two litres of grape fruit, for it ot have significance; anyway, the amount of drug foun in her body in the autopsy was enough to kill her, even if she'd been drinking milk.Sorry, i'm writin with a strange compiter -I remember I read she had been eating oysters, and had a dinner with newcomb - Ithink the clain she ate nothing the whole day is probably a mistake.

+Quote Post
Celia
post Feb 12 2014, 01:50 PM
Post #5
Celia

Group Icon

QUOTE(Margherita @ Feb 10 2014, 06:30 PM) *
It is advised that grapefruit juice not to be drinken with quite many drugs , but also all kinds of fruit affect the liver, and are not good for the intestines if eaten too much, also wine etc, vodka is healthier,, even lighter ones that marilyn used - she used barbiturates that arern't muc h used anymore, but I think she would have had to drink at least two litres of grape fruit, for it ot have significance; anyway, the amount of drug foun in her body in the autopsy was enough to kill her, even if she'd been drinking milk.Sorry, i'm writin with a strange compiter -I remember I read she had been eating oysters, and had a dinner with newcomb - Ithink the clain she ate nothing the whole day is probably a mistake.

She had dinner with Newcomb the day before not on the day she died.

+Quote Post
Eva
post Feb 12 2014, 05:04 PM
Post #6
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

I think Marilyn and Pat had went out early Friday evening to a local restaurant reports say they had meet up with Peter Lawford. Friday was also the day she had picked up the prescription of her Nembutals later the same amount found in her body in the autopsy? I think Marilyn on Saturday morning was feeling tired from the night before also her mood was not good she was also snappy towards Pat later that day, i don't think Marilyn was up to doing much on that last day she didn't even dress or make an effort to make herself up and mainly stayed in her bedroom and i think sadly food was the last thing on her mind?

+Quote Post
mberton
post Feb 19 2014, 03:26 AM
Post #7
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

QUOTE(Considerate @ Feb 6 2014, 01:22 AM) *

It is now known that certain chemicals in grapefruit (known as furanocoumarins) can interfere with the way the body metabolises or processes many medicines in the intestine (gut) or liver before they reach the bloodstream. Based on my research, even 1 GLASS of grapefruit juice can have an affect. The ability of the liver to detoxify the drug is compromised by the natural chemicals in grapefruit. Yes, Considerate, I agree with you that this most likely played a part in Marilyn's death.

This post has been edited by mberton: Feb 19 2014, 03:27 AM

+Quote Post
Alanma
post Feb 19 2014, 12:46 PM
Post #8
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I love Grapefruit.
Unfortunately I am one of those who have to avoid it, and, if possible, Citrus juice in general.
However, I am allowed a little Lemon juice on fish!

+Quote Post
Cello
post Mar 20 2014, 12:03 PM
Post #9
I just want to be wonderful.

Group Icon

QUOTE(Considerate @ Feb 5 2014, 07:22 PM) *

You beat me to it!!! I was gonna post this theory a few months ago (while I was taking a lot of, albeit, OTC meds and my mom was reminding me of grapefruit+some meds = no-no)... and a light bulb went off in my head but completely forgot. Thank you for posting!

I agree. (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/thumbup1.gif) Something no one ever seems to connect.

+Quote Post
Margherita
post Mar 25 2014, 11:34 AM
Post #10
Ultimate fan

Group Icon

So the 5,2 mg of Nembutal found in her blood in the autopsy couldn't have killed her if she hadn't been -maybe - drinking a lot of grapefruit juice ?

+Quote Post
Cello
post Apr 11 2014, 09:20 AM
Post #11
I just want to be wonderful.

Group Icon

QUOTE(Margherita @ Mar 25 2014, 05:34 AM) *
So the 5,2 mg of Nembutal found in her blood in the autopsy couldn't have killed her if she hadn't been -maybe - drinking a lot of grapefruit juice ?

No. What we're saying it that some medications can not be mixed with certain foods and can be quite toxic. Grapefruit with certain medications is one of them. In fact, grapefruit juice has negative reactions when taken with up to 85 different drugs!

But yes, obviously, the amount of drugs in her body would be enough. But the fact (or maybe not a fact??) that she had grapefruit juice that morning may have some role to play: like exacerbating the effects and in a way that we here don't fully understand.

Read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grapefruit%E2...ug_interactions

This post has been edited by Cello: Apr 11 2014, 09:22 AM

+Quote Post
Margherita
post Apr 11 2014, 05:40 PM
Post #12
Ultimate fan

Group Icon

I agree with you of grapefruit plus the 85 med, - but 5,2 mg s of nembutal is massive amount and even 1/10 part of could kill a person, if unlucky, for instance with grapefruit. It,s just that she was given so much of a drug that it was unimportant whether she drank grapefruit or strawberry juice during the day.

+Quote Post
KingAl
post May 16 2015, 04:14 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

QUOTE(Celia @ Feb 6 2014, 01:31 PM) *

She ordered that day the Antipasto (Italian Dish) as well from a restaurant. she might have taken a lot of barbiturates but not that much as found in her blood + chloral hydrate in her colon...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2019 - 01:28 PM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.