Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest: please Log In.
Everlasting Star is now a private community which no longer accepts new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Canfield Corner Pharmacy Woodbury Ct, Tracing her steps in Connectcut
Share |
Joan Newman
post Oct 3 2012, 08:51 PM
Post #1
Daisy

Group Icon

Marilyn Monroe… And Me
Canfield Corner Pharmacy, Woodbury
2 Main St N, Woodbury, CT 06798-2950

My family bought the 1867 Canfield building in 1950. After my pharmacist father died in 1954, my mother, Vera Taylor Martiny, became a licensed pharmacist. Arthur Miller lived in nearly Roxbury and had been a customer in our store since we took it over. In June 1956 when he married his 2nd wife, Marilyn Monroe, she also became our customer (Roux hair bleach and the New York Times). Phenobarbitol was regularly prescribed by doctors in the 1950′s as a sleeping pill. As a barbiturate, it is a controlled drug. My mother wrote the label: 1/2 grain. She had beautiful handwriting. Vera was adamant that when Marilyn died in California of an overdose of Nembutal on Aug. 6, 1962, she did NOT die using prescriptions drugs from Canfields. We have many fond memories of Marilyn, having visited the Roxbury farmhouse. One of the red stools in front of the soda fountain has been christened “The Marilyn Monroe Stool.” Vera’s other 2 daughters, Mary and Ruth, are now the “pharma-sisters” who will fill your prescription. Marilyn changed Mary’s diaper in the store one day.

"Marilyn Monroe also visited the pharmacy. "She use to pick me up and carry me around when she was shopping."
Attached File(s)
Attached File Canfield_Corner_Pharmavyo.jpg ( 67.73K )Number of downloads: 50
Attached File _BzfJ0rQBWk___KGrHqUOKkME_Ou2okCiBMWPmbN5YQ___3.JPG ( 65.53K )Number of downloads: 44
Attached File Canfield_Corner_Pharmavy.jpg ( 41.43K )Number of downloads: 45
Attached File IMG_0323.JPG ( 146.86K )Number of downloads: 42
Attached File books_002.jpg ( 104.23K )Number of downloads: 48
Attached File Pharmacy10.jpg ( 54.01K )Number of downloads: 60
Attached File canfield.JPG ( 169.71K )Number of downloads: 53

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mezzo
post Oct 3 2012, 09:13 PM
Post #2
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

What fun! Thank you, Nettie!

From Julien's auction, 5/7/2011
Attached File Screen_shot_2012_10_03_at_3.08.22_PM.png ( 118.62K )Number of downloads: 59

This post has been edited by Mezzo: Oct 3 2012, 09:14 PM

+Quote Post
mare
post Oct 3 2012, 09:30 PM
Post #3
Super admirer

Group Icon

This is great, Nettie!!! Thank you! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif) (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/jumpymm.gif)

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Oct 3 2012, 10:58 PM
Post #4
Daisy

Group Icon

QUOTE(mare @ Oct 3 2012, 08:30 PM) *

Thank you to both Marys (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/marilynbybrandon_190.gif)
Did you read how Marilyn bought the "cheapest" things she could find to save money? That's cute, but so unlike Marilyn to me.

+Quote Post
Stacy
post Oct 4 2012, 12:16 AM
Post #5
Dearest Poo...

Group Icon

Thanks Nettie. Such a sweet story♥

+Quote Post
meganmarilyn
post Oct 4 2012, 01:56 AM
Post #6
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(Nettie @ Oct 3 2012, 02:58 PM) *
Thank you to both Marys (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/marilynbybrandon_190.gif)
Did you read how Marilyn bought the "cheapest" things she could find to save money? That's cute, but so unlike Marilyn to me.

She was never a spendthrift.

+Quote Post
Mezzo
post Oct 4 2012, 08:54 AM
Post #7
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I have read that Arthur Miller was very frugal. Perhaps Marilyn was attempting to economize in an effort to please him.

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Oct 4 2012, 12:12 PM
Post #8
Daisy

Group Icon

QUOTE(Mezzo @ Oct 4 2012, 07:54 AM) *
I have read that Arthur Miller was very frugal. Perhaps Marilyn was attempting to economize in an effort to please him.

I also read that.

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Jul 16 2013, 02:26 AM
Post #9
Daisy

Group Icon

I found another story about someone meeting Marilyn in her Connecticut home so I thought I'd post it here.

http://aeqai.com/main/2012/09/summers-in-c...marilyn-monroe/

Summers in Connecticut with Marilyn Monroe
September 15th, 2012

When Arthur Miller, America’s greatest playwright, died a few months ago I remembered not only seeing his play Death of a Salesman in New York when I was a child, (my first non-musical drama), but also the circumstances under which I happened to meet him, and his wife, Marilyn Monroe, in Connecticut in 1958-60. Miller had not yet written his play After the Fall, which has long been presumed to be based on his problematic marriage to the iconic actress. The much immortalized Monroe was, to us growing up in the ‘50s, the ultimate movie star and “sex goddess.”

My mother’s brother lived in Weston, Connecticut for a decade from the mid-50s to the mid 60s. Weston’s an area of rolling hills, berry patches, streams and ponds (the Salem cigarette commercials were filmed there, catching me and Robby Taylor smoking in the streams). I spent idyllic summers there, often picking berries in the lanes with Nan Cheever, the writer’s niece, while my cousin Nick courted and became engaged to her sister, Sue Cheever. Much of my summers were spent taking tennis lessons (in “tennis whites” on clay courts at the Westport Country Club, in preparation for tournament play in Cincinnati).

Liquor was sold only by the half-gallon in Weston, at a small mom-and-pop grocery store; people drank heavily there (Cheever territory, of course). We’d go to the store to pick up, where we’d run into Arthur Miller and Marilyn Monroe regularly. They lived a few blocks away. The store did carry sturgeon, smoked salmon, the New York Times, a little food, but mainly liquor. The store could only accommodate six people at a time, including the proprietor and cashier. Surrounded by woods, the dark interior of the store clashed with the dappled sunlight, showing through the slats. It was around morning the first time we ran into them at the store.

And there she was in blue jeans and sunglasses, a babushka covering her head, red lipstick, no other makeup. My twelve-year-old heart and eyes raced. I asked my non-plus sable mother if I could ask for an autograph.

“No, you may not. This is where she lives and they are entitled to their privacy. If we happen to meet at the cash register, you may say ‘Good morning, Mrs. Miller’.”

The four of us met at the cash register. “Good morning, Mrs. Miller,” I said.

“Hello, little boy,” she said, unsmilingly. She looked so sad that even I was baffled at twelve.

We all went our ways. “Mom,” I asked, “Why did Marilyn Monroe look so sad? Doesn’t she have everything she wants? And who is that old guy she’s with?”

And so I learned of the existence of Arthur Miller and some of the troubled background of America’s most famous actress, of the love that Yankee ballplayer/ex-husband Joe DiMaggio still carried for her, of her strange marriage to an American intellectual much her senior, a possible father figure/protector/guardian for her. For him? Who care, then?

The approximately three-mile drive from Weston to the Westport Country Club took us past the Miller’s house, three days a week, for ten weeks for two summers. My uncle Harold and his fourth wife, Vera, had a son together, Charles, who was three years old and a beautiful, soft-spoken child. We’d stop the car on the way to the club at the foot of the Miller’s driveway to give Marilyn Monroe some berries we picked. Miller’s/Monroe’s house was closest en route (and they weren’t berry pickers).

Charles got out of the car to offer her the berries. She sat on the edge of the lawn, her white dress between her knees, and sunglasses on top of her head. These were long hot summer days in the country.

She fell in love with Charles. My aunt Vera asked me to walk him up the small hill, which we climbed, over and over again those two summers. We no longer stopped to give her berries; we stopped so Marilyn could see Charles. She’d stroke his jet-black hair, peer longingly into his green eyes (a family trait, those eyes), and cuddle him between her legs. A variation of the theme occurred three days a week, without fail. Sometimes she’d cry, and we all came to understand her deep sadness.

In the course of those summers, we’d run into Elizabeth Taylor and Mike Todd, the author William Styron, and many others who were well known people in American arts and letters.

But nothing, no one, could stop a twelve-year-old boy in his tracks like seeing Marilyn Monroe for the first time in a small country grocery store.

–Daniel Brown

+Quote Post
Paju
post Jul 21 2013, 10:44 AM
Post #10
♥ Appleblossom ♥

Group Icon

I love stories like this. We get to peek into her everyday life and how the people around her (who were not famous) saw her, and how she treated them.
And I agree with you about how Marilyn was probably trying to spend less money to please Miller.

+Quote Post
Mezzo
post Jul 21 2013, 04:21 PM
Post #11
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Thank you, Nettie. I enjoyed this story very much.

+Quote Post
timetravelangel
post Jul 23 2013, 06:56 PM
Post #12
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

Amazing stories, thanks for sharing. (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/thumbup1.gif)

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Jul 23 2013, 08:23 PM
Post #13
Daisy

Group Icon

QUOTE(timetravelangel @ Jul 23 2013, 05:56 PM) *
You are very welcome. Those are my favorite stories too.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2017 - 03:26 PM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.