Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest: please Log In.
Everlasting Star is now a private community which no longer accepts new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Images And Copyrights
Share |
MissCaswell
post Apr 22 2012, 05:14 PM
Post #1
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

I have a little dilemma. After years on this fantastic forum, I have quite a large collection of big, high resolution images of Marilyn on my computer. Some of my favorites are shots that don't tend to be made inte posters, so I've been thinking of having some of my picture files printed as posters so I can frame them.

Now, I found a site where you can upload pictures and have them sent to you as posters, and I tried to do this with a couple of Marilyn images. Then I was asked to check a box to indicate that I was "permitted to use this picture". I know very well that the pictures I want to use are by Ed Clark, Richard Avedon, Sam Shaw, and others, and probably subject to copyrigt laws.

Would I be breaking laws by paying to have them printed with the intention to decorate my home with them? If so, does anyone know whether there is a way to get those posters without breaking the law?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kevin
post Apr 23 2012, 07:12 PM
Post #2
Norma Jeane Fanatic

Group Icon

That's a great question Erica...Marilyn's image is copyrighted unfortunately. This would be awesome if this site would allow it though. I have many HQ images I've been collecting on here the better part of a decade as well. It would be great to be able to do this. I wish I could help more, I apologize for my lack of information. I've been trying to get my hands on some rare pictures for a book I've been working on since 2007. I'm probably going to publish it under my own company's banner 'M-Arts Media Group LLC.' I've been doing a little schmoozing with some of the photographers. It's not another bio, that's been done to death in the last 50 years. 40% of the proceeds will go to various charities worldwide.

Keep us informed Erica, could you? Thanks...

Kev (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
MissCaswell
post Apr 23 2012, 08:02 PM
Post #3
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

I will. Thank you so much for your response.

Well, if I were to check that box even though I don't have formal permission to use th pictures, would there be any real risk for me, do you think? It's not like I'm trying to make a profit or anything. I just want pretty walls.

+Quote Post
Fav
post Apr 23 2012, 10:00 PM
Post #4
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I've done it in the past. I've uploaded photos to online sites to get prints and I'm pretty sure I checked that box. They printed them and sent them back to me and it was a very big well known company that did it. I figured if they didn't want to print them, they wouldn't.

+Quote Post
princesshapnick
post Apr 24 2012, 12:21 AM
Post #5
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Well, maybe I'm the only one then who just prints pictures on my home printer and sticks a bit of blue tack on them! A bit like I did with my childhood boyband posters I once had (come on, we all did that!). (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/coolio.gif)

As regards to copyright, if you have them professionally printed, I don't see what the problem is as you're only keeping them in your home. I'd say the only danger with copyright these days would be if you were trying to make money from them or something. I notice a lot of sellers do that on eBay. I'll see a recently found rare photo of a star and suddenly it's on eBay as well. Actual same sometimes.

+Quote Post
MissCaswell
post Apr 24 2012, 10:51 PM
Post #6
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

Ok, so I guess maybe I'm overly careful (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif) Well I have an old, bad printer, and I'd rather pay to have my beautiful MM favorites professsionally printed than do a half-ass job myself, which I'm afraid that would be...

Thank you all for responding!

+Quote Post
Paju
post Apr 26 2012, 04:55 PM
Post #7
♥ Appleblossom ♥

Group Icon

My question is a little bit similar: do you happen to know if there are any M photos that are not owned by anyone, but are free to use?

+Quote Post
MissCaswell
post Apr 26 2012, 09:08 PM
Post #8
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

I think Kevin is right - Marilyn's image is copyrighted. In other words, no picture of Marilyn is really free to use, I guess.

+Quote Post
Fav
post Apr 27 2012, 10:10 PM
Post #9
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(MissCaswell @ Apr 26 2012, 09:08 PM) *
I think Kevin is right - Marilyn's image is copyrighted. In other words, no picture of Marilyn is really free to use, I guess.

I guess it makes you wonder why whoever it is who owns her image, allows a place like this to keep going. Though long may it continue to do so. Love ES!

+Quote Post
Paju
post Apr 28 2012, 06:46 AM
Post #10
♥ Appleblossom ♥

Group Icon

QUOTE(Fav @ Apr 28 2012, 12:10 AM) *
I guess it makes you wonder why whoever it is who owns her image, allows a place like this to keep going. Though long may it continue to do so. Love ES!

Maybe because nobody makes any money out of ES. I hope ES will live long!

+Quote Post
Monroestar
post Apr 28 2012, 06:01 PM
Post #11
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

In answer to Miss Caswells question - Just have them printed. If there is a problem they will let you know. You are using them for yourself. If you ordered say 100 of each photo then that would probably be an issue.

just go for it and show us when they are done (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th December 2016 - 10:48 AM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.