Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :

> Read before you post anything

May 6th 2005 : NEW RULES!

Before you start to post here, please remember that this is the place to ask only questions related to a photo or photographer, dates or events etc. It's not the right forum to post requests for/like

- bigger sizes
- without the watermark
- more from this session etc.

Those (for example) belong to the "Pictures Requests" subforum.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Confusion Regarding Travel For Bus Stop, What's LA and what's Phoenix?
Share |
Jim Parson
post Apr 3 2012, 05:03 PM
Post #1
Super admirer

Group Icon

I need help sorting out my confusion and some conflicting information I've found on here. My understanding is, Marilyn flew from New York to Los Angeles on February 25, 1956 and upon arrival at LAX, conducted an interview with Milton Greene present at the airport. The first picture below is from that interview (right?). Then, I show pictures of her arriving in Phoenix on March 15, 1956, in a different outfit, represented by the 2nd photo. Now, I've read other postings on here that seem to contradict this. It's been posted that Haspiel and the Monroe 6 met her at LAX and took the pictures departing the plane in the outfit she's wearing in the 2nd photo. Haspiel and members of the 6 can be plainly seen in the 2nd photo. That means, either I have them mixed up, or Marilyn changed clothes after arrival at LAX and before the press conference, or Haspiel and the Monroe 6 were in Phoenix when she arrived there in March. Can anyone help me sort this out?
Attached File(s)
Attached File Clip_21.jpg ( 363.21K )Number of downloads: 26
Attached File Clip_10a.jpg ( 591.32K )Number of downloads: 33

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zelda
post Apr 3 2012, 08:55 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

The Pics are quite the same day.
The second one was taken at NY, while she was about to leave to LA; sure Haspiel and the Monroe Six were there!
The first one was the interview at the airport, in LA, same day, Fébr.25, 1956.
The Phoenix's ones were later that month, while she was wearing the same dress.
But the pics are different.
Hope it helps.
Christelle/webmaster cursumperficio.net

+Quote Post
Jim Parson
post Apr 4 2012, 12:42 AM
Post #3
Super admirer

Group Icon

Thank you for your response, Christelle, but I'm still confused. These are two different ensembles she is wearing. If the second picture was taken in New York as she was leaving for Los Angeles (which would explain the presence of the Monroe 6), she must have changed her clothes on the plane before arriving in LA, because this photo shows her arrival at night in Los Angeles wearing the same outfit she wore in the press conference at LAX. Changing her clothes on the plane could be the only possible explanation then. Right?
Attached File(s)
Attached File Clip_27.jpg ( 213.96K )Number of downloads: 34

+Quote Post
zelda
post Apr 4 2012, 05:59 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Yes I do understand.
But while the pic with the Monroe Six was for sure taken in NY, Milton Greene accompanying her (he can be seen on some pics) and the other one at LA, the only explanation is she changed her clothes during the flight. Which is very possible.
BUT as you look carefully, Milton Greene who was also there, changed his clothes TOO??? He isn't wearing the same outfit.
The thing that is strange is that in NY she wore earrings (she had later for the flight to Phoenix) but no more arriving in LA?
Sounds very strange...There must be another explanation. Which for the moment I have no idea...
Christelle

+Quote Post
Jim Parson
post Apr 4 2012, 06:05 PM
Post #5
Super admirer

Group Icon

QUOTE(zelda @ Apr 4 2012, 09:59 AM) *
Yes I do understand.
But while the pic with the Monroe Six was for sure taken in NY, Milton Greene accompanying her (he can be seen on some pics) and the other one at LA, the only explanation is she changed her clothes during the flight. Which is very possible.
BUT as you look carefully, Milton Greene who was also there, changed his clothes TOO??? He isn't wearing the same outfit.
The thing that is strange is that in NY she wore earrings (she had later for the flight to Phoenix) but no more arriving in LA?
Sounds very strange...There must be another explanation. Which for the moment I have no idea...
Christelle

Thanks again, Christelle! Perhaps someone here can solve the mystery for us! It's making me crazy!
Jim

+Quote Post
CYRILPARIS
post Apr 5 2012, 01:14 PM
Post #6
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(nightxposed @ Apr 4 2012, 01:42 AM) *
Thank you for your response, Christelle, but I'm still confused. These are two different ensembles she is wearing. If the second picture was taken in New York as she was leaving for Los Angeles (which would explain the presence of the Monroe 6), she must have changed her clothes on the plane before arriving in LA, because this photo shows her arrival at night in Los Angeles wearing the same outfit she wore in the press conference at LAX. Changing her clothes on the plane could be the only possible explanation then. Right?
Attached File Clip_27.jpg ( 213.96K )Number of downloads: 17

For me, it's the arrival in LA. She changed certainly her clothes in the plane.

This post has been edited by CYRILPARIS: Apr 13 2012, 11:54 PM

+Quote Post
Jim Parson
post Apr 10 2012, 06:41 PM
Post #7
Super admirer

Group Icon

I'm going to accept that Marilyn left Idlewild wearing this outfit...

Attached File Clip_10a.jpg ( 591.32K )Number of downloads: 25
Attached File Clip_13.jpg ( 50.11K )Number of downloads: 31

...based on the presence of the Monroe 6 and the large contingency of members on this site whose opinion I trust that support that. I'm also going to support that both Marilyn and Milton changed their clothes on the airplane so they looked like this when they arrived that night at LAX and held the press conference in the terminal.

Attached File Clip_27.jpg ( 213.96K )Number of downloads: 21
Attached File Clip_6.jpg ( 26.36K )Number of downloads: 25

But what's throwing me is this photo..

Attached File Clip_37b_Arrive_in_LA.jpg ( 56.65K )Number of downloads: 31

She left Idlewild in that outfit, but changed her clothes on the plane, then how can she be on the stairs, in California (based on the California flag shown) in the outfit she left in? Did she step out for a picture, then go back into the plane and change? Or is this picture from a different night landing (or departure) where she is wearing the exact ensemble by coincidence?

SOMEONE HELP!!!! Please, before I lose my mind! Oh wait, it's too late...it's lost.

Jim

+Quote Post
CYRILPARIS
post Apr 14 2012, 12:15 AM
Post #8
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(nightxposed @ Apr 10 2012, 07:41 PM) *
But what's throwing me is this photo..
Attached File Clip_37b_Arrive_in_LA_1_.jpg ( 56.65K )Number of downloads: 27

She left Idlewild in that outfit, but changed her clothes on the plane, then how can she be on the stairs, in California (based on the California flag shown) in the outfit she left in? Did she step out for a picture, then go back into the plane and change? Or is this picture from a different night landing (or departure) where she is wearing the exact ensemble by coincidence?
SOMEONE HELP!!!! Please, before I lose my mind! Oh wait, it's too late...it's lost.
Jim

May be 1st or 2nd June 1956 but I don't know between the departure LA pictures and arrival NY pictures? (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/coolio.gif)

LA departure or NY arrival? I think it's NY arrival, her hair is flatter and a little fat
Attached File candidz3.jpg ( 354.77K )Number of downloads: 32
Attached File candidz6.jpg ( 254.81K )Number of downloads: 32

LA departure or NY arrival? I think it's LA departure, her hair is more puffy, ruffled
Attached File day.jpg ( 42.37K )Number of downloads: 29
Attached File day__2_.jpg ( 37.36K )Number of downloads: 19

Attached File day__3_.jpg ( 30.57K )Number of downloads: 26
Attached File day__5_.jpg ( 146.04K )Number of downloads: 25

Attached File day__4_.jpg ( 154.99K )Number of downloads: 25

Dark ? The night? Departure LA or arrival NY?
The first: NY arrival for her birthday cake 2nd June, her hair is flatter and a little fat
Attached File night.jpg ( 29.67K )Number of downloads: 34

The next both: LA departure, her hair is more puffy, ruffled and it's the same young girl
Attached File night__2_.jpg ( 80.23K )Number of downloads: 36
Attached File night__3_.jpg ( 42.61K )Number of downloads: 36

Sunlight airport reflected on the rear window car or it's a day? NY arrival 2nd June
Attached File sunlight.jpg ( 60.35K )Number of downloads: 44

Attached File 1956.06.02.MMarrivesNY.01_1_.jpg ( 85.56K )Number of downloads: 36

This post has been edited by CYRILPARIS: Apr 14 2012, 07:36 PM

+Quote Post
Jim Parson
post Apr 14 2012, 02:50 AM
Post #9
Super admirer

Group Icon

Thanks, Eric! I hadn't considered that it might be from her return trip after the filming of Bus Stop. But it makes sense. The only thing we don't know is whether she took a night flight from LAX and arrived in NY the next morning, or if she arrived in NY after dark. I suspect it will always be a mystery! But at least it resolves my issues with the flights to LA and Phoenix to begin filming.

+Quote Post
zelda
post Apr 25 2012, 09:43 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

What is pretty sure is that pic below was in NY, while the woman who is reflected in the windows is Lois Weber, who was MM's PR. She worked for the Arthur Jacobs Agency, along with John Springer in NY.
Christelle
Attached File(s)
Attached File Bus5.jpg ( 126.52K )Number of downloads: 38

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Feb 22 2020, 02:58 AM
Post #11
Daisy

Group Icon

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

Marilyn leaving her Sutton Place apartment in New York accompanied by Milton Greene to fly to Phoenix to film Bus Stop,1956.
Attached File(s)
Attached File 113302786_o.jpg ( 59.92K )Number of downloads: 8
Attached File sutton_place.jpg ( 39.47K )Number of downloads: 11

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd July 2020 - 10:03 PM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.