Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :
6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Champagne & Good Food, Marilyn Monroe cookbook
Share |
Mezzo
post Dec 2 2012, 07:31 PM
Post #41
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

From http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1955...g=4143,1900944:

Attached File Screen_shot_2012_12_02_at_12.30.00_PM.png ( 22.44K )Number of downloads: 119

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mberton
post Dec 2 2012, 09:01 PM
Post #42
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

QUOTE(Mezzo @ Dec 2 2012, 07:31 PM) *

Funny, I thought Marilyn was more of a tea drinker.

+Quote Post
Paju
post Dec 3 2012, 09:02 AM
Post #43
♥ Appleblossom ♥

Group Icon

QUOTE(blondealways @ Dec 2 2012, 07:56 PM) *
Wow that sounds great! Have you discussed your idea with any publication companies in other countries? I will actually ask around to the few people that i know in the business and let you know what they tell me about the options that you may have and not be aware of. But again just wonderful! Whats funny is that every time that i eat; make dinner or go out to eat I always think to myself "Is this something that Marilyn would have liked?" Hehe! it's become such a habit that i i don't realize it, however i have all my fingers crossed for this wonderful and heart felt project of yours.

I haven't been in touch with publication companies abroad. But if you're willing to ask around, that would mean so much. Thank you!
I know what you mean, sometimes when I eat out I think to myself "this is a dish Marilyn would have loved" (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

QUOTE(mberton @ Dec 2 2012, 10:01 PM) *
Funny, I thought Marilyn was more of a tea drinker.

I've understood she drank both coffee and tea (I'm the same way).

Mary, thanks for the article!

+Quote Post
Mezzo
post Dec 3 2012, 04:08 PM
Post #44
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Here is another article I ran across: (http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/life/comments/what-marilyn-monroe-ate-no-olives-for-norma-jean)

What Marilyn Monroe Ate [No Olives For Norma Jeane]
Posted Aug 6, 2012 by Jeff Houck

Updated Aug 6, 2012 at 12:56 PM

I’ll admit that I have sort of an odd fascination with what celebrities eat.
I’ve rationalized it before as a curiosity built on the foundation that seeing a famous person eating somehow humanizes them and gives fans a common bond with their favorite stars. A photo of a Kardashian or a Snookie coming out of a Starbucks? Ho hum. Seeing Gene Simmons in full demon regalia in the craft services buffet line at a Kiss concert? That’s like manna from heaven to me.
In reality, I’m just a food voyeur. Plain and simple. What people choose to enjoy and why they choose to do so is just fascinating to me. Fame is just sprinkles on the cupcake.
So it makes sense that on the week of the 50th anniversary of Marilyn Monroe‘s death, questions about what she ate and drank would arise.
Apparently, I’m not alone.
On this site, a British fan explores her occasional diets, her favorite stuffing recipe (complete with a hand-written copy), and suggests a blond cocktail in her honor.
The anniversary also has spawned discussion about her body type, her eating disorders and how 50 years later, she would have been considered borderline obese by modern, bone-thin Hollywood starlet standards.
At 5 feet 5½  inches, Marilyn veered from 8½ st to just under 10 st. Today’s stars seek to remain child-sized (Victoria Beckham can famously slip into jeans designed to fit a seven-year-old, with a 23in waist).
In these pictures, Monroe glows with radiant health like a goddess, while modern pin-ups, with sharp hipbones and corrugated ribs, seem sapped of all vitality.
But, then, Marilyn was also a product of the post-war era in which she grew up. Mercifully few Westerners go hungry through poverty now, yet more of us starve ourselves to conform to some perverse bodily ideal.
Norma Jeane Baker, as she was then, grew up so impoverished that there was rarely enough food on the table, and her robust approach to eating reflected a desire never to be hungry again.
‘Frankly, I’ve never considered my figure so exceptional. My biggest single concern used to be getting enough to eat,’ she remarks in the book.
The words appear next to a photograph that shows her propped up in bed, fixing breakfast while naked between the sheets, presumably adorned in nothing more than a spritz of Chanel No 5.
Today’s warped female role models associate hunger with power rather than poverty. Kate Moss notoriously announced that her motto is ‘nothing tastes as good as skinny feels’. And even purportedly healthy celebrities such as Beyoncé and Gwyneth Paltrow torture themselves with maple syrup diets and punishing juice fasts.
On the Tumblr blog Missing Marilyn, there’s a fascinating list culled from the comprehensive pages of “The Marilyn Encyclopedia” of what she enjoyed eating during various parts of her life.

During the modeling years:Raw hamburgers, peanut butter, hot dogs, chili, crackers
Typical breakfast, 1951: Warm milk, two raw eggs, a dash of sherry
Typical dinner, 1951: Broiled steak, lamb chop or liver, raw carrots
On first date with Joe DiMaggio: Anchovies on pimento, spaghetti al dente, scallopini of veal
For her 1952 birthday dinner at the Bel-Air Hotel: Steak
Favorite appetizer circa 1952: Tiny tomatoes stuffed with cream cheese and caviar
While filming “River of No Return,” 1953: Lobster
For her DiMaggio wedding dinner: Steak, cooked medium-well
While in Korea: Cheese sandwiches
At the Romanoff’s party in her honor: Chateaubriand
While filming “Bus Stop,” 1956: Raw steaks
Typical breakfast, 1957: Three poached eggs, toast, a Bloody Mary
Typical lunch at the Roxbury farm, 1957: Salami and cheese sandwiches
What maid and confident Lena Pepitone cooked for Marilyn: Spaghetti, lasagna, sausages, peppers
On New Year’s Eve, 1960: Spaghetti with sweet Italian sausages
While filming “The Misfits,” 1960: Buttermilk, borscht
Typical breakfast, 1961: Egg whites, poached in safflower oil (Marilyn had Eunice Murray regularly save the egg yolks to use in the holiday pound cakes.)
Typical breakfast, 1962: Hard-boiled eggs, toast
Typical lunch, 1962: A broiled steak
Favorite Italian dinner, 1962: Fettucini Leon and veal piccata
Favorite snack when not dieting: Hot dogs
On a 1962 picnic in the backseat of her Cadillac: Cold steak sandwiches
What Marilyn especially disliked: Olives
The last breakfast, on August 3, 1962: A grapefruit

These photos accompanied the above article:
Attached File 7725241490_d93a361682.jpg ( 71.73K )Number of downloads: 62
Attached File 7725241602_874e2e804e_n.jpg ( 25.98K )Number of downloads: 83
Attached File 7725241726_9bd30c8e11_b.jpg ( 79.79K )Number of downloads: 65

From Jezebel: (http://jezebel.com/5686638/marilyn-monroes-daily-diet)

Full size

THE MARILYN DIET
BY SADIE STEIN NOV 10, 2010 6:44 PM 31,951 239 Share

Marilyn Monroe’s Daily Diet
The revelation of an elaborate stuffing recipe in the icon's own hand has led to speculation that perhaps Marilyn was, in fact, a domestic goddess.

The stuffing recipe, which appears in Fragments (the compendium of MM ephemera) is an elaborate one: a multi-step mix of sourdough bread, nuts, meats and herbs that, say writers Matt and Ted Lee, required no fewer than 15 vessels to reproduce. They also deemed the stuffing — which they theorize may be rooted in Marilyn's marriage to the Italian Joe DiMaggio — scrumptious and say it "bears the unmistakable balance of fussiness and flexibility that is the hallmark of an experienced and confident cook."

Could be — although we don't know that the star actually made the elaborate dish. Said People, "She was a good cook. It was hard for her to go out so she cooked." She is known to have owned well-thumbed copies of both Fannie Farmer and The Joy of Cooking — both sold for astronomical prices at auction — plus Le Creuset cookware, yet other anecdotes from the star's life tell another story. Says the Bombshell Manual of Style,

Marilyn Monroe told Cosmopolitan that when making homemade noodles for a dinner party, the cookbook failed to mention how long they took to dry. "The guests arrived; I gave them a drink; I said, 'You have to wait for dinner until the noodles dry. Then we'll eat.' I had to give them another drink. In desperation, I went and got my little portable hairdryer and turned it on. It blew the noodles off the counter, and I had to gather them up and try again."

So, take that for what it's worth — at the very least, she had ambitions! Of course, homemade noodles are an undertaking even for an experienced cook. She's also said to have enjoyed good food, a favorite cocktail nibble being little tomatoes stuffed with cream cheese and caviar.

From a late shopping list, we know her diet was wholesome and that she cooked for herself — if simply. Clearly, she liked to eat proper meals. Even her weight-loss plan was not insubstantial. Again, via Loren Stover's paeon to the bombshell:

Breakfast:
8:00 A.M. Orange juice or stewed prunes
Cereal, well cooked
Toast (white), 2 slices, crisp, with butter
Milk or weak cocoa, 1 cup

10:00 A.M. Milk, 1 cup, and 1 cracker

Lunch or Supper:
1:00 P.M. Choice of:
Egg, 1 (boiled, poached, shirred or scrambled)
or cottage cheese, 2 tablespoons

Choice of:
Potato, 1, baked or mashed
or spaghetti, boiled with tomato or butter (no cheese)
or noodes, 1/2 cup (boiled), add milk (no cheese)
Toast or bread (white), stale, 1 slice, with butter
Jell-O or cooked fruit

3:30 P.M. Milk, 1 cup, and 1 cracker

Dinner:
6:30 P.M. Choice of:
Lean beef (boil, broil or roast)
or chicken
or lamb chop
or sweetbread
or fish
or chicken liver
Potato, 1 (any way but fried)

Choice of:
1/2 cup tomatoes, beets, carrots, spinach, string beans or peas, pureed or strained
Bread (white), 1 slice with butter
Dessert: junket, custard, tapioca pudding or rice pudding or baked apple

11:00 P.M. Eggnog

Of course, like everything else about Monroe, we'll never really know anything beyond what we want to, and what we decide to project. Is it a more appealing vision of total femininity if Marilyn cooked — or does it not jibe with our notion of the ultimate sex symbol? Was she trying to be someone's notion of a "wife" (probably DiMaggio's) with elaborate recipes and homemade noodles — or was this fun or therapeutic for someone who didn't need to do anything domestic? All we can know for certain is that 1950s dieters ate well: and the sight of that menu today would send any contemporary Hollywood star to sprint from the room shrieking in horror.

One more: (http://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eating/blogs/marilyn-monroes-protein-drink)

Marilyn Monroe is a legend and is considered one of the most beautiful women who ever lived. She had a glamorous life in many ways, but she also had many personal demons to fight, including unhappy marriages and love affairs.

With that in mind, I appreciated this light-hearted article in which she shared her workout routine and eating habits at the time. I found her breakfast interesting. This is what she has to say about it:

"Breakfast: I’ve been told that my eating habits are absolutely bizarre, but I don’t think so. Before I take my morning shower, I start warming a cup of milk on the hot plate I keep in my hotel room. When it’s hot, I break two raw eggs into the milk, whip them up with a fork, and drink them while I’m dressing. I supplement this with a multi-vitamin pill, and I doubt if any doctor could recommend a more nourishing breakfast for a working girl in a hurry."

I was curious how nutrient-dense this breakfast was. Using Nutritiondata.self.com, I found that the eggs alone gave her morning drink 12.6 grams of protein, plus an array of other vitamins and minerals (they are a good source of riboflavin, vitamin B 12, and phosphorus, and a very good source of selenium). A cup of whole milk (considering this article was written in the early 1950s, I am assuming the milk was whole) gives another 7.9 grams of protein, as well as vitamin D, riboflavin, vitamin B 12, calcium and phosphorus. You end up with a drink with a whopping 20 grams of protein, plus other important minerals and vitamins.

Compare this to a serving of cornflakes, which only adds 1.8 grams of protein. I’ll take eggs over cornflakes for a protein-rich breakfast!

If her breakfast drink sounds strange to you, consider it unsweetened eggnog or that a similar drink was recommended to pregnant women around that same time period. I have been off of dairy, as it bothers me some, but I’ve had homemade “eggnog” in the past made with whole, raw milk, and pastured (real free-range) raw eggs, with a little bit of nutmeg and vanilla, and it was delicious! Raw milk tastes sweeter, so doesn’t need any sweetener in my opinion. Without the nutmeg and vanilla, I am sure my eggnog tasted a lot like Marilyn’s breakfast.

I agree with Marilyn Monroe that it is hard to think of a more nourishing breakfast for a “working girl in a hurry.” What do you think? Was her breakfast was “bizarre” or “nourishing”?

+Quote Post
Alanma
post Dec 3 2012, 04:47 PM
Post #45
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Marilyn seemed pretty well omnivorous and unfussy to me.

Marilyn did not "grow up" Post War. She was a teenager when it started.
The postmortem gives Marilyn as 5' 5".
Wide variations in her weight were as much due to bloating and fluid retention caused by her illness as anything else. She could go up a dress size over a weekend, then have to purge it off.

Being hungry during childhood does not necessarily make one eat a lot later.
I grew up just before and during the war, living in a heavily bombed and poor area. Rationing was strict, and did not guarantee that the food was available anyway.

I have never knowingly overeaten. My instinct and that of friends in later life, was never to waste food. It is the postwar baby-boomer generation that wastes food and consumes to excess - just because it can!

+Quote Post
Paju
post Dec 3 2012, 05:23 PM
Post #46
♥ Appleblossom ♥

Group Icon

Thank you Alan, those are very interesting articles (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)
And I agree with you, people born after the war tend to eat more than those born before or during wartime. Like you said, just because they can!

+Quote Post
Margherita
post Jan 10 2013, 08:14 PM
Post #47
Ultimate fan

Group Icon

There is also one dimension in Marilyn's eating - she did not overeat carbohydrates, pasta, pizza, junk food or various "light" products, and that was also one reason why she did not gain excess weight too much; few pounds now and then is so much different than becoming really fat because most of the food is more or less just carbohydrate-junk and sugarloaded yogurts, smoothies; eating all the time while doing what ever.
In Marilyn's times people, when they ate, mostly ate proper food - meat or fish, proper meals, vegetables, salads, too; beans, milk, etc - those are the kind Marilyn ate when you read of her diets.

+Quote Post
Alanma
post Jan 11 2013, 02:37 PM
Post #48
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Her costumes for TPATS were made in 2 or 3 different sizes because of the bloating Marilyn suffered. I don't know if this was the case at other times.

Margherita is quite right about people eating "proper" foods in those times. Certainly here in the UK! There wasn't much else !
One rarely saw anyone overweight. In the late 50s we started to get US style milk-bars,ice-cream parlours and hamburgers - all new and exciting stuff to us - and people started to eat for pleasure and comfort - so on went the pounds.....

+Quote Post
blondealways
post Jan 12 2013, 02:26 AM
Post #49
Marilyn Fan For Life!

Group Icon

QUOTE(Margherita @ Jan 10 2013, 11:14 AM) *
There is also one dimension in Marilyn's eating - she did not overeat carbohydrates, pasta, pizza, junk food or various "light" products, and that was also one reason why she did not gain excess weight too much; few pounds now and then is so much different than becoming really fat because most of the food is more or less just carbohydrate-junk and sugarloaded yogurts, smoothies; eating all the time while doing what ever.
In Marilyn's times people, when they ate, mostly ate proper food - meat or fish, proper meals, vegetables, salads, too; beans, milk, etc - those are the kind Marilyn ate when you read of her diets.

I have to disagree with this because between the years 1957 (late) and 1960 she was heavier than prior and that had alot to do with her depression and she did indulge in carbs. Her maid and part time cook Lena Pepitone made pasta dishes. She also like chocolate pudding as well. During a period before Some Like It hot she did begin ers strike to over eat because she did not want to film that movie.
Lets Make Love she was slimmer but during the writers strike she gained weight and the weight continued to till The Misfits. Like every woman her weight fluxed. Really never mattered to me, We love her regardless!!!

+Quote Post
Margherita
post Jan 12 2013, 08:16 PM
Post #50
Ultimate fan

Group Icon

Yes, Blondealways - she did gain some weight of course, but I was talking about excess weight gain, like 40 pounds or more, the kind of obesity that is seen nowadays allover the "western" world - caused mainly with the stuff I mentioned.
Marilyn's varying weight, IMO, was not that dramatic - it was something that most women experience, it was normal and never any risk for her health. She did not develop a bear-belly, didn't look "fat" in real sense - just fuller than before, and even when she was , say, 20 pounds fuller, her body and face features didn't basically change so much.

What comes to her loving pasta dishes and the stories of Pepitone - well they are a bit controversial. Pepitone, whom Marilyn obviously didn't like that much as she never talked about her with anybody in a particular sense that they would've been real close as Pepitone claimed (or her ghostwriter ?)- Pepitone also claimed that Marilyn adored everything italian, italian men above anything, italian opera, had always wanted to travel to Italia, wanted to study italy, so of course italian food, too.
Of course Pepitone prepared pasta, but if she was a real italian and she was, she must have prepared other dishes, too, of the rich italian cuisine - meat, fish, various filled veggies, intestines - Or I don't know, was she only into pasta...
I don't know if Marilyn talked so much of having loved pasta uber alles - Maybe there was a period she did indeed -
and so what (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/jumpymm.gif)
But then Pepitone - or whoever wrote the book - tells that when Marilyn wanted to lose weight she would only eat vegetables for a few weeks and lose quickly 8 pounds in 2 weeks.

+Quote Post
VanessaLapierre
post Jan 13 2013, 03:56 AM
Post #51
Vanessa Lapierre

Group Icon

Very interesting! I'd definetly buy the book.

Be careful online tho - someone with bad intentions might steal your idea.. :$

+Quote Post
JC 96816
post Apr 12 2013, 06:11 AM
Post #52
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I would buy this book -- because I am more interested in MM the person -- not so much the celebrity...I have read online that MM was quite a good cook and enjoyed cooking. Wish I could find the link again. It would be awesome to have recipes she enjoyed. And please make sure there's a Kindle edition. I have the new Kindle Fire HD 8.9 screen.

+Quote Post
Paju
post Aug 5 2013, 11:51 AM
Post #53
♥ Appleblossom ♥

Group Icon

In honor of the 51st anniversary of Marilyn's passing, I decided to create a Facebook page for my cookbook project.
You all are welcome to like it here (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/redsitting.gif)
Currently I'm developing recipes. We're even eating something cookbook related today!

+Quote Post
Paju
post Jan 2 2014, 03:37 PM
Post #54
♥ Appleblossom ♥

Group Icon

I've been very quiet about the cookbook project lately so I thought I'd give you an idea of what's going on:
- I am currently (still) developing recipes. It takes time, because I want them to be absolutely delicious - and easy to understand. Some of them take more time than others. But this is something I love to do anyways.
- I have a lot of text written for the book, but it needs some heavy editing. Mainly because all of it is in Finnish and it should be in English. But I can say that the main research for the book is done. Of course I'm keeping my eyes and ears open for delicious new tidbits that might fit the book (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)
- I am looking for an agent or a publisher. As soon as I manage to write a good synopsis, I'll send it to an agent I have my eye on
- my New Year's resolution (or one of them) is to finish this book by the end of 2014. I don't know if it will be published by then, but I will have a complete manuscript ready.

+Quote Post
Paju
post Jan 15 2014, 11:15 AM
Post #55
♥ Appleblossom ♥

Group Icon

You know, I've been a busy little bee for the past week or so. I've done a lot of editing (or translating, really), chosen a couple of recipes I want to work on next, and even found some new information I just have to include in the book. I am so excited! Tonight, we're having Cobb salad, which was invented in the Brown Derby restaurant in L.A. Marilyn was no stranger to the Brown Derby, an iconic landmark that was actually shaped like a big brown derby hat. And next weekend we might have beef bourguignon (because it's freezing cold in here! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/cold2.gif) ), which was one of Marilyn's specialities.

If you're on Facebook and want to see what I'm up to and get kitchen inspiration from Marilyn, feel free to like my page (which I have actually updated a lot lately): Marilyn Monroe Cookbook Project. I just started a series of breakfast posts, so if you want to start your day like Marilyn, check out the page (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

+Quote Post
blondealways
post Mar 6 2014, 09:04 PM
Post #56
Marilyn Fan For Life!

Group Icon

I just found this online and thought it would make another great addition to your forthcoming book!
I wish I knew what she was eating though! Any thoughts on that?

Found my answer!

She was having Dinner at The Ram Resturant in Sun Valley Idaho.
The cast was on the way back to LA. Marilyn wearing the same sweater, as the newspaper account
mentions that she was wearing a "manly" sweater (as if anything could look "manly" on MM.) , These
awesome rare pictures are by Bob Beerman

She was eating steak with a baked potato, My kind of Lady, I LOVE Steak so much and I know that she liked
it alot. It's even mentioned in a very well reseached book about the last years of her life during her
interveiw with Richard Meryman. She asked Eunice Murray to put a couple of steaks on for the two
but Eunice was never good at keeping food stocked in MArilyn's Brentwood house.
(sorry about the quality of the contact sheet photos)

This post has been edited by blondealways: Mar 26 2015, 10:17 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File tumblr_n21414ieZQ1r2t5pso1_1280.jpg ( 140.44K )Number of downloads: 118
Attached File MONROE__MARILYN___1956_BUS_STOP_PARTY_JOSH_LOGAN_OCONN_001_1_.jpg ( 233.87K )Number of downloads: 41
Attached File zzzzzmmz.jpg ( 278.59K )Number of downloads: 58

+Quote Post
marilyn144
post Mar 6 2014, 11:16 PM
Post #57
Ultimate fan

Group Icon

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/jumpymm.gif)

ooohh thanksss!! beautiiiifulll

+Quote Post
Paju
post Mar 14 2014, 08:59 AM
Post #58
♥ Appleblossom ♥

Group Icon

What a beautiful photo - and I haven't seen it before! Thank you for posting it (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
blondealways
post Nov 1 2014, 02:52 AM
Post #59
Marilyn Fan For Life!

Group Icon

Hi there! Wanted to know how the book is coming along!

+Quote Post
Paju
post Nov 4 2014, 06:49 PM
Post #60
♥ Appleblossom ♥

Group Icon

Hi to you too (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

Nothing new I'm afraid, just testing and developing recipes. It takes a lot of time, but it's also a lot of fun. I really should update the Facebook page as well since it's kinda been just sitting there!

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th August 2019 - 05:43 PM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.