Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> "smash!", A Marilyn musical.
Share |
Alanma
post Jan 7 2012, 01:54 PM
Post #1
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I saw this today in a corner of the TV guide.
Does anyone know more about it?
Quote -
"Smash.
Described by one US critic as 'Glee for grown-ups', hot new drama 'Smash' is the all-singing-and-dancing backstage story
of 'Marilyn', a Broadway musical about Marilyn Monroe.
Oscar-winner Anjelica Huston leads the cast as Marilyn's producer Eileen, with Will and Grace's Debra Messing appearing as the show's
co-writer Julia, and Brit Jack Davenport, from 'This Life' and 'Pirates of the Caribbean', as the eccentric Director, Derek.
Steven Spielberg came up with the idea for the 15-part show and is its executive producer.
Sky Atlantic, April."

I wonder who will play Marilyn?

Edit. Just found this.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracke...t-on-smash.html
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Monroestar
post Jan 15 2012, 11:22 PM
Post #2
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

QUOTE(Alanma @ Jan 7 2012, 12:54 PM) *
I saw this today in a corner of the TV guide.
Does anyone know more about it?
Quote -
"Smash.
Described by one US critic as 'Glee for grown-ups', hot new drama 'Smash' is the all-singing-and-dancing backstage story
of 'Marilyn', a Broadway musical about Marilyn Monroe.
Oscar-winner Anjelica Huston leads the cast as Marilyn's producer Eileen, with Will and Grace's Debra Messing appearing as the show's
co-writer Julia, and Brit Jack Davenport, from 'This Life' and 'Pirates of the Caribbean', as the eccentric Director, Derek.
Steven Spielberg came up with the idea for the 15-part show and is its executive producer.
Sky Atlantic, April."

I wonder who will play Marilyn?

Edit. Just found this.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracke...t-on-smash.html

So glad this has come together. Was just reading about it today in an old Mad About Marilyn Fan Club booklet XX

+Quote Post
lorileime
post Jan 16 2012, 01:06 AM
Post #3
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I've seen a couple of preview commercials on tv about this show and it never once mentions anything at all about a connection to Marilyn. It looks likes it is about finding new talent at a school for the arts and the girl they seem to be talking about is just some girl, although one person does say something about 'how she glows' from withing or something like that.

+Quote Post
Alanma
post Jan 16 2012, 02:11 PM
Post #4
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Marilyn's name is more familiar to the current 'generation' this year, partly due to MWWM and the threatened avalanche of books on the 50th anniversary of her death, so perhaps using her name for this musical is seen as a good marketing ploy.

+Quote Post
Tara
post Jan 16 2012, 06:10 PM
Post #5
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

Seems interesting and I'll definitely give it a look. I don't know yet if I'll like it or not, but it seems like a lot of effort has been put in. John Huston's daughter Anjelica has a part in it. She never met Marilyn, but was a friend of Eve Arnold and wrote about her photos in the 2005 MM book.

I have an ongoing series of posts relating to the show on ES updates...

http://blog.everlasting-star.net/?s=%22smash%22

+Quote Post
Fav
post Jan 16 2012, 07:08 PM
Post #6
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

LA Times info as listed above by Alan plus pic:

A star is born ... again.

Marilyn Monroe — with her plump lips, signature mole and vixen-like innocence — continues to be a source of intrigue and exploration. Film recently set its sights on the icon with the release of “My Week With Marilyn.” And soon viewers who tune in to “Smash” — a behind-the-scenes look at Broadway that NBC is hoping will help them inch back to its glory days — will see the blond bombshell become a source for a fictional musical on the show.

Though, if creator and executive producer Theresa Rebeck has her way, the musical might have been an adaptation of a Victorian novel or some production that involved swords and feathers, she joked Friday at the Television Critics Assn. press tour in Pasadena.

The idea came from Scott Wittman, an executive producer (one of many on the series, which also includes Steve Spielberg) and co-lyricist, who said it was important to start with source viewers were familiar with.

Rebeck echoed those sentiments: “The things that she represents … are so immediately accessible. “

The drama will focus on the production of bringing it to life. Katharine McPhee, a former contestant on “American Idol,” and theater actress Megan Hilty (“Wicked”) see their characters go head-to-head for the coveted role.

“I think the genius of making this idea into a series,” Hilty said of the show. “When you are a live performer, you’re giving so much of yourself. There’s so much at stake when you’re out exposing yourself to hundreds of people. It naturally sets the tone for high drama.”

The plan for the first season is to take “Marilyn” to an out-of-town tryout, Rebeck said. “The second season — if we’re lucky — would be 'Marilyn' comes to Broadway and how does ‘Marilyn’ fare in New York.”

As for rumors that it might later lead to bringing the musical-within-the-show to Broadway, Rebeck was quick to respond: “What we are aiming to do right now is write a great TV show. Whatever happens in the future, who knows. We could all die tomorrow.”

"Smash," which also stars NBC alum Debra Messing and Anjelica Huston, premieres Feb. 6.

Source: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracke...t-on-smash.html

Is it me or is a bit vague on her connection to it...
Attached File(s)
Attached File smash.jpg ( 98.06K )Number of downloads: 40

+Quote Post
Alanma
post Jan 17 2012, 04:29 PM
Post #7
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

One of my New Year Resolutions -

Read ES Updates !

+Quote Post
Monroestar
post Jan 22 2012, 12:57 AM
Post #8
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

QUOTE(lorileime @ Jan 16 2012, 12:06 AM) *
I've seen a couple of preview commercials on tv about this show and it never once mentions anything at all about a connection to Marilyn. It looks likes it is about finding new talent at a school for the arts and the girl they seem to be talking about is just some girl, although one person does say something about 'how she glows' from withing or something like that.

Well..... I have seen the first episode and it's amazing. It has everything to do with Marilyn. Let me promise you that. Its very much about Marilyn. Can wait for it to start on TV! I want to see the 2nd episode (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif) X

+Quote Post
Tara
post Jan 22 2012, 10:55 AM
Post #9
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

QUOTE(Alanma @ Jan 17 2012, 03:29 PM) *
One of my New Year Resolutions -

Read ES Updates !

Haha! Thank you (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/thumbup1.gif)

+Quote Post
mare
post Jan 30 2012, 04:06 PM
Post #10
Super admirer

Group Icon

It's previewing here in the States February 6, 2012. I also have been seeing TV promos on it. I was all excited, seeing someone being Marilyn. Here's the page from NBC. Thanks for posting Alan, Fav, Monroestar.

http://www.nbc.com/smash/

+Quote Post
mare
post Feb 7 2012, 04:33 PM
Post #11
Super admirer

Group Icon

Okay, Smash was on last night and as Monroestar says, yes, it's everything to do with Marilyn. It will move on with the second episode and more Marilyn. (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/jumpymm.gif)

When Julia (Debra Messing) and her writing partner Tom (Christian Borle) are discussing whether to do a musical and what to do, Julia says, something like "Poor Marilyn, she was so beautiful and so tragic." Then she tries to convince him to do a musical about Marilyn and says, "Marilyn said in her last interview, don't make me a a joke." Then another of Debra Messing's lines is "She wanted to love and be loved. She glows with it. (I'm paraphrasing) "like a saint," or she reminds her of a saint.

Then she's watching SLIH in bed on a Mac and they show the clip when Sugar finds out Joe is leaving and she's crying and holding the bracelet. Katharine McPhee and her boyfriend are watching SLIH - the "Tango Scene" and he says, "Marilyn was obsessed with her breasts.." She says, "Don't you mean that others were..." and he says "Yes, but she was too. See here how she leads with her breasts?" This is when she pours the champagne to bring over to Joe (Tony Curtis) on the couch.

It's ALWAYS amazing to me that Marilyn was so insecure on camera and on set. The camera loved her, she just has that something as we all know here on ES.

McPhee is in Derek Wills' (Jack Davenport) apartment and she tries to pull off singing "Happy Birthday" Marilyn style to him because he asks her to do something Marilyn. I wasn't happy with that scene.

I don't like the wigs and hairstyles either. You can see them below in the NY Magazine review. Which hairstyle were they copying?

I'm just excited about all this talk about Marilyn and clips of her!! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/marilynbybrandon_190.gif)

Some reviews:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/06/business...p-to-smash.html

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2012/...iew-mcphee.html

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/a...f-smash/251921/

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/re...view/52974100/1

+Quote Post
celifacejones
post Feb 7 2012, 06:47 PM
Post #12
Marilyn Enthusiast!

Group Icon

I love Smash. I was skeptical, for all the obvious reasons, but they are doing a great job of really coming through with Marilyn in a respectful way. It actually feels like a knowledgable fan is behind the idea. I love, love, love it.

+Quote Post
lorileime
post Feb 7 2012, 11:41 PM
Post #13
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I didn't feel that they got Marilyn at all. I kept saying that the way the girls are portraying their idea of Marilyn made me think more of Jayne Mansfield. I'm waiting to see the second episode to decide whether or not to keep watching. So far it's no so good. A bunch of references to Marilyn means nothing if they keep portraying her like a bimbo and keep just using her to make money. Keepng my fingers crossed.

+Quote Post
mm_artiste
post Feb 8 2012, 06:01 PM
Post #14
Marilyn nut

Group Icon

I just saw the first episode of 'Smash'... I think Katherine McPhee is very pretty, has a spectacular voice and I think she did a fairly good rendition of the birthday song!

That being said I just don't like how Marilyn is portrayed in the play scenes, they're misleading and exploitative, especially the 'baseball number'. It took every ounce of restraint in me not to throw the remote at the TV during that part of the show (and quite a few others to be honest). That scene and song made me furious! It was too over-the-top with the salacious lyrics and choreography and (to me) the "Marilyn" was about as disrespectfully insulting as a portrayal of Marilyn can get.

There are quite a few subtle references to Marilyn (i.e. the cherry dress McPhee wears a lot, et al.) sprinkled through the show that anyone who knows a little about her life and her work will pick up on. What's troubling is that those references will pull in less informed fans and perhaps lead them to believe what's being shown is supposed to represent what she was really like. It seems that the intention of the show is to keep perpetuating the floosy, flouncing, sex-obsessed, dumb blonde myths that for too long have been portrayed as accurate representations of Marilyn.

I understand that 'Smash' is a show about a play and what goes on behind-the-scenes during the creation and production of a Broadway musical. THAT part of the show I do enjoy and the rest of the characters are well played. I just wish they weren't using Marilyn to promote their show and that the musical was about something else.

Will I watch again? Only if I stumble across it at the right time, I won't make a point of scheduling it into my day.

+Quote Post
Fav
post Feb 8 2012, 06:09 PM
Post #15
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

That good eh Marcy?

+Quote Post
celifacejones
post Feb 8 2012, 07:07 PM
Post #16
Marilyn Enthusiast!

Group Icon

QUOTE(lorileime @ Feb 7 2012, 02:41 PM) *
I didn't feel that they got Marilyn at all. I kept saying that the way the girls are portraying their idea of Marilyn made me think more of Jayne Mansfield. I'm waiting to see the second episode to decide whether or not to keep watching. So far it's no so good. A bunch of references to Marilyn means nothing if they keep portraying her like a bimbo and keep just using her to make money. Keepng my fingers crossed.

I completely disagree. I think there are a lot of subtleties regarding both Marilyn and broadway that are hard to catch unless you know the business. And those things may come off the wrong way if you don't understand how it works.

I think the show is very clever on how it is using Marilyn has a means to also explore her appeal to various social groups - for example, did anyone else notice that the women on the show are sympathetic and defend Marilyn while the men use her sexual nature? They're really trying to convey who Marilyn was as an actress and as a person. This is very apparent by their use of SLIH rather than GPB or SYI. Also, I'd like to point out that they rejected all actresses auditioning dressed as the cheap impersonators we often criticize and despise. Yes, the baseball number is overtly sexual and bimbo-esque, but that is one aspect of Marilyn's appeal that they are poking fun at. If the idea that Marilyn was a sexy bimbo was the premise of the show, would they even bother with the subtleties? Doubtful.

+Quote Post
mare
post Feb 8 2012, 11:10 PM
Post #17
Super admirer

Group Icon

QUOTE(celifacejones @ Feb 8 2012, 01:07 PM) *
I completely disagree. I think there are a lot of subtleties regarding both Marilyn and broadway that are hard to catch unless you know the business. And those things may come off the wrong way if you don't understand how it works.

I think the show is very clever on how it is using Marilyn has a means to also explore her appeal to various social groups - for example, did anyone else notice that the women on the show are sympathetic and defend Marilyn while the men use her sexual nature? They're really trying to convey who Marilyn was as an actress and as a person. This is very apparent by their use of SLIH rather than GPB or SYI. Also, I'd like to point out that they rejected all actresses auditioning dressed as the cheap impersonators we often criticize and despise. Yes, the baseball number is overtly sexual and bimbo-esque, but that is one aspect of Marilyn's appeal that they are poking fun at. If the idea that Marilyn was a sexy bimbo was the premise of the show, would they even bother with the subtleties? Doubtful.

Some good points everyone is bringing up. I felt overall it was a good portrayal, not great. But I did not like the Happy Birthday thing McPhee's character was doing ... I DID NOT like the lines I quoted above, "Marilyn was obsessed with her breasts..." Can anyone elaborate on that? I have never read anything or thought that's true. (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I didn't like the baseball number either but celiface, you bring up good points about the men/vs women points of view and yes, they did reject the actresses dressed as cheap impersonators.

Still, I would like to see someone portray her as not the breathy Marilyn creation but the real woman who wrote the pieces in Fragments and so forth. I didn't see "My Weekend With Marilyn" so I can't comment on that. I thought it would be annoying and a bad impersonation even though I like Michelle Williams so...

Yes, I noticed the cherry dress too. Guess I'll wait to see the second one... Still, I was excited...

+Quote Post
glaze_p
post Feb 14 2012, 10:24 AM
Post #18
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Smash cast talk about Marilyn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDVt7k3mwiM

+Quote Post
Alanma
post Feb 14 2012, 04:17 PM
Post #19
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Your posts are very reassuring
I look forward to seeing "Smash".

I mentioned "Smash" - the musical, to a world-weary friend who wondered if it was based on that old instant mashed-potato advert, and would feature the little robots.

+Quote Post
celifacejones
post Feb 14 2012, 07:36 PM
Post #20
Marilyn Enthusiast!

Group Icon

QUOTE(mare @ Feb 8 2012, 02:10 PM) *
Some good points everyone is bringing up. I felt overall it was a good portrayal, not great. But I did not like the Happy Birthday thing McPhee's character was doing ... I DID NOT like the lines I quoted above, "Marilyn was obsessed with her breasts..." Can anyone elaborate on that? I have never read anything or thought that's true. (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I didn't like the baseball number either but celiface, you bring up good points about the men/vs women points of view and yes, they did reject the actresses dressed as cheap impersonators.

Still, I would like to see someone portray her as not the breathy Marilyn creation but the real woman who wrote the pieces in Fragments and so forth. I didn't see "My Weekend With Marilyn" so I can't comment on that. I thought it would be annoying and a bad impersonation even though I like Michelle Williams so...

Yes, I noticed the cherry dress too. Guess I'll wait to see the second one... Still, I was excited...

That quote is the perfect example of what I was pointing out earlier - men vs. women perspective. It says upfront what Marilyn battled her entire career: people (primarily men) that can't look beyond her body.

Man: "Marilyn was obsessed with her breasts."
Woman: "Don't you mean other people were..." (paraphrasing here, I can't remember verbatim)
Man: "She was too."

The man is projecting his own obsession with her sexuality/body onto Marilyn's personality.

"Big breasts, big ass, big deal, Can't I be anything else?" - Marilyn

I also find it very interesting how they use the comparison of Norma Jean to Marilyn in the two actresses up for the part. Katherine McPhee is associated with Norma Jeane for being "fresh" and "naive" and "innocent", while the broadway vet is the Marilyn because of chops and manipulation of the system to get the part. All these references and subtleties are not possible without being written by a fan or Marilyn Monroe historian of sorts. From this show alone, I get the sense that Marilyn was a person - not some bimbo icon.

This post has been edited by celifacejones: Feb 14 2012, 07:37 PM

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th December 2019 - 08:24 PM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.