Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest: please Log In.
Everlasting Star is now a private community which no longer accepts new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :
9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> When Is "my Week With Marilyn" Released?, The movie starring Michelle Williams.
Share |
molybecks
post May 14 2011, 12:53 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

I read online that *apparently* a trailer was shown at the Cannes festival however it's not online.

I really want to see this movie!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tara
post May 14 2011, 01:16 PM
Post #2
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

It's going to be released in October.

+Quote Post
Monroestar
post May 30 2011, 10:41 PM
Post #3
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

I am nervous about this movie. X

+Quote Post
Tara
post May 31 2011, 10:09 AM
Post #4
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

First review...

"Well, last night yours truly attended a test screening for this film. This was the first time the film was screened to an audience, comprised of moviegoers ages 18-54. I was very eager to see this film primarily because I’m a fan of the excellent young character actress Michelle Williams. I say “character” because even though Williams is a lovely young woman, she usually excels at playing characters not considered your garden-variety ingenues or leading ladies. Sometimes they’re dowdy manifestations of repressed anger like Alma in Brokeback Mountain, tortured and prematurely jaded by life like Cindy in Blue Valentine or a demented hallucination in Shutter Island. But generally Williams is proficient at playing characters who are decidedly not glamorous.

Perhaps this is one reason why she seems so miscast playing the screen icon in My Week with Marilyn. Although she does convey Monroe’s aching, child-like vulnerability, while affecting a very subtle breathiness to her voice, she never quite eclipses the memory of the real-life person she’s playing. You never forget you’re watching Williams unlike Kenneth Branagh who is astonishingly effective as Olivier (more about him in a bit). Lacking the bombshell charisma and traffic-stopping star wattage that made Monroe a celluloid legend, Williams disappoints in the role although she does make a valiant attempt. It’s not an embarrassing failure because a large part of her inability to fully inhabit Monroe’s thin skin is the insistence of the weak, trite screenplay to depict her as nothing more than a cipher.

Maybe this myopia has to do with the fact that the film is seen through the prism of its main character, Colin (Eddie Redmayne), a 23-year-old Brit who is briefly besotted with Monroe while working behind the scenes on the movie, courtesy of family friend Vivien Leigh (Julia Ormond), otherwise known as Lady Olivier.Aside from briefly romancing the wardrobe girl, Colin is soon befriended by Monroe. There are a few scenes of him showing Monroe various tourist attractions and then watching her skinny dip in some river somewhere but other than that, the story falls flat.

Colin doesn’t sleep with her. He really doesn’t form any type of real friendship with her other than a superficial camaraderie that takes place over the course of a few days. And yes, this forms the basis of the paper-thin plot."

Full article at Films For Women

+Quote Post
Alanma
post May 31 2011, 04:39 PM
Post #5
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Thank you, Tara.
The review was most interesting.
It is obvious that the film was thrown together only to make money, with no thought given to the consequences for poor Marilyn's reputation.
If it comes around here, I will stay at home with my dvd of TPATS.

Perhaps the film will achieve a Golden Turkey award.

+Quote Post
Tara
post Jun 18 2011, 04:24 PM
Post #6
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

I read today that the US release date is November 4. However as it's a British film, it might come out here a bit earlier.

+Quote Post
purple-haze
post Jun 19 2011, 09:19 AM
Post #7
Just wants to be wonderful...

Group Icon

What's the credibility of this book? And therefor the film. I jist revived this book in the post and rolled my eyes whilst readingthe back to find that the 'gofer' said that during his week he ended up in bed with her....

+Quote Post
Tara
post Jun 19 2011, 10:16 AM
Post #8
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

QUOTE(purple-haze @ Jun 19 2011, 09:19 AM) *
What's the credibility of this book? And therefor the film. I jist revived this book in the post and rolled my eyes whilst readingthe back to find that the 'gofer' said that during his week he ended up in bed with her....

Well, exactly... (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/wink3.gif)

+Quote Post
SAiKARO
post Jun 21 2011, 01:06 AM
Post #9
Super admirer

Group Icon

I'm not sure how to feel about this movie. All I know is that I saw some pictures of Michelle Williams as Marilyn and was really disappointed...I think she is a beautiful woman, but I just didn't see "Marilyn" in her at all. She looked so vacant and empty.

Here is the picture I am referring to for those who haven't seen it:

(IMG:http://www.ifc.com/news/12112010_MichelleWilliamsMarilynMonroe.jpg)

+Quote Post
jeharsy
post Jun 21 2011, 04:59 PM
Post #10
Super admirer

Group Icon

I always thought that michelle williams was teh worst pick for this movie. She' a pretty girl and a great actress however she really doesnt have the kind of sex appeal marilyn had, i dunno why they just didn't cast scarlett johansson and get it over with! She's a decent actress and anyway the movie isn't planned to win an oscar anyway. Also michelle has no box office appeal whatsoever! Epic FAIL!....

+Quote Post
Alanma
post Jun 23 2011, 03:48 PM
Post #11
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

There are several reasons why the MWWM diary can be considered what, in Yorkshire, is called 'clarts', but I won't repeat them here.

One reason however, an impeccable authority so informs me, is that the Studio's Production Diary for that week - shows Marilyn reporting for work normally every day!

+Quote Post
molybecks
post Jun 29 2011, 06:18 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

Personally I don't think we should "slag off" the movie until all have viewed it. Although I have heard mixed reviews on the book, which I still need to read for myself.

However, like i've said before, i'm sort of glad this is coming out as a more official biopic rather than some of the crap that's been churned out before. I think this will either do really well or bomb. I wonder when the UK gets it though

+Quote Post
Tara
post Aug 18 2011, 11:47 AM
Post #13
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

Some new photos...
Attached File(s)
Attached File 6DkBo.jpg ( 83.46K )Number of downloads: 52
Attached File tumblr_lq3bmvyibc1qc7e5jo1_1280.jpg ( 388.92K )Number of downloads: 77
Attached File williams_week_with_marilyn.JPG ( 71.32K )Number of downloads: 53
Attached File michelle_williams_new_my_week_with_marilyn_still.jpg ( 23.28K )Number of downloads: 46

+Quote Post
Fav
post Aug 18 2011, 05:30 PM
Post #14
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Oh I wish I'd not watched those Dawson's Creek repeats recently. I can only see her in my mind as Jen Lindley now.

+Quote Post
Scottish Sugar
post Aug 18 2011, 08:19 PM
Post #15
Scotland's Marilyn Fanatic!

Group Icon

I read that it's to be released in the UK the week of Novemeber 14th.

+Quote Post
sparrow
post Aug 23 2011, 05:36 AM
Post #16

Group Icon

The movie has a website now: http://myweekwithmarilynmovie.com/

+Quote Post
breakinglass
post Aug 24 2011, 02:26 AM
Post #17
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

The world premiere of the film will be October 9th, at the New York Film Festival.....and I have a spot to attend the screening. I've never seen a world premiere, let alone for a Marilyn focused film..so I am extremely excited. Regardless of the physical or lack thereof resemblance between Marilyn and Michelle Williams, she has had good judgement with film choices in her adult career...so that gives me slightly less skepticism about the film. Also reading interviews with the cast and creators..everyone is talking very intelligently. For those in the US interested in attending, tickets go on sale to the public on 9/12.

This post has been edited by breakinglass: Aug 24 2011, 02:29 AM

+Quote Post
Fav
post Aug 29 2011, 06:52 PM
Post #18
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Released poster
Attached File(s)
Attached File my_week_with_marilyn_poster.jpg ( 74.45K )Number of downloads: 43

+Quote Post
breakinglass
post Aug 30 2011, 06:12 AM
Post #19
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

I like it.

+Quote Post
Tara
post Sep 13 2011, 01:12 PM
Post #20
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

Not so keen on the cover shot, but the others are pretty good.

Picture Source

Vogue interview
Attached File(s)
Attached File tumblr_lrg7zvrMTH1qbvihuo1_500.png ( 112.99K )Number of downloads: 55
Attached File tumblr_lrg86oOgF01qbvihuo1_500.png ( 436.23K )Number of downloads: 51
Attached File tumblr_lrg7r1ssRn1qbvihuo1_500.png ( 380.44K )Number of downloads: 58
Attached File vogue_us_oct_2011_michelle_williams.jpg ( 98.67K )Number of downloads: 32

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th December 2016 - 10:49 AM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.