Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Important Es News
Share |
mels
post Oct 26 2010, 07:19 PM
Post #1
Isn't it delicious?

Group Icon

Dear Marilyn admirers,

For the past 8 years, Everlasting Star has reunited people from all accross the globe to share their common passion about Marilyn Monroe. Friendships have formed and the once small ES community became a huge, friendly and most of all, unique Marilyn Monroe resource on the web.
I am proud of this community and its achievements in the past years and am glad that I could help the Marilyn Monroe fans to find some kind of shelter on the web.

I have bad news to announce today, and it's heartbreaking for me to let you know that time has now come for us to say goodbye to this website and forums, as the hosting costs have become too important for me. While some of you have repeatedly helped me pay a part of the bills (for which I, of course, still express my biggest gratitude because you've helped the site stay online a bit longer each time), I still need to cover 95% of the costs and can no longer provide the necessary amounts each month (the ads barely pay 10% of the bill).
I have just renewed the server for a month, so we can all think about the future and what to do, and then we will need to let the site go once the month is over.

In the meantime, you are all welcome to discuss how to make this community live outside the boards if that's something you'd like to do (the Facebook page could be an example), I will do all I can to help you out.

Thank you everyone for your support, and for making this place what it has become. (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/throb.gif)
Special and heartfelt thank yous go to:
Ally who bought the domain name everlasting-star.net as a birthday present back in 2002,
Tara, who in addition to being a dedicated admin, a big Marilyn fan and a talented author, is also one of the sweetest persons I've ever known. You have been a GREAT help for ES, and I hope everyone here knows this (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)
Paju and Stacy for their dedication and patience, as well as being moderators any boards would dream about,
2Twinkle, Alanma, Amber Nichols, annette, chris, Demos Kratos, ellen, Fav, Harald Haefker, jennie2000, jily, magda24, Megan, MMcamera, mmcollector, Monroestar, Nancy, Nettie, suusmarie, vintagesky and zarabell for their financial (among other things (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif) ) contributions over the past years.

Thank you again for 8 fantastic years,
Mels.
PS/ If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to reply to this message and share them here.
PPS/ I am currently talking with people here and there trying to find cheap hosting (sharing of costs). So far, no success, so do not set your expectations too high :(
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Oct 26 2010, 07:35 PM
Post #2
Daisy

Group Icon

I am TOTALLY about to start bawling. My day just went down the toilet and I pray that what I just read will not come to pass. I CANNOT express well enough what ES is to me, so I will not try. I love you all. And I will do my share of anything that needs to be done to stop ES from leaving me/us.

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/no.gif) (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/no.gif) (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/no.gif) (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/no.gif) (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/no.gif) (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/no.gif) (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/no.gif)

+Quote Post
njsp1921
post Oct 26 2010, 08:01 PM
Post #3
Super admirer

Group Icon

my worst fears are being realized, i pray this does not happen

+Quote Post
Paju
post Oct 26 2010, 08:12 PM
Post #4
♥ Appleblossom ♥

Group Icon

Oh no.

Seriously, if I had more money I'd help, but unfortunately my student budget doesn't allow it. And I hate it!

While I like Facebook I'd hate to see this community to shrink and change just into a Facebook page.

What I love about ES is a) how wonderful it is as a resource, and b) all the wonderful people who make ES what it is. It's also c) a lot of fun!

I really hope we can find a solution. Mels, can you be blunt and share with us here the exact amount this forum costs each month? I don't know it, and I bet many people don't know the real situation. I understand though if you don't want to do that for whatever reason. I just thought that it might help us all to realize the actual situation and think of ways to help. I mean personally I can't afford much but I could spare maybe a little each month, and if enough members feel the same way, then the problem might be solved?

I was also thinking... While the photos are one of the best things about ES, I believe they take a lot of space. Should we simply get rid of some (a lot) of them? Personally I think that the most important photos are 1) specific sessions (photographers and movies), and 2) public events. The rest, well, it can go if that helps at all.

I just don't want to see ES go and I don't think it's time yet. Together we can find a solution, I truly believe so!

+Quote Post
LasseK
post Oct 26 2010, 08:28 PM
Post #5
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Thanks, Mels.

I feared we'd sooner or later would reach this point.

I suggest we start thinking constructively.

This board is the Marilyn Monroe Research Center of the World.

Nowhere else, anywhere, is there anything like it, in terms of collected and shared knowledge about Marilyn.

The information about Marilyn posted and available here on ES is both unique and very qualified.

Members have put in thousands and thousands of hours of research to make ES this almost bottomless well of information about every possible aspect of Marilyn Monroe, her work and her life.

No way we're going to let this board die and all our efforts go to waste.

I suggest we form a selected group of ES-members which take on the task of finding sponsors by going internationally public with some sort of a plea for help and support.

In order to get best results we'd adress all media possible, in every country and part of the world.I think that among us we've got people very able to carry through such an initiative.

What do you say and think about my suggestion?

Lasse

This post has been edited by LasseK: Oct 26 2010, 08:34 PM
Reason for edit: Double post

+Quote Post
Tara
post Oct 26 2010, 08:59 PM
Post #6
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

I understand everyone's sadness, and I feel it myself, more than I can say. Agree that we need to think positively, but also I would add that we have to be realistic. I hope we can all work together and find a way to preserve the information we have gathered online over the last 8 years, and perhaps even find a viable way to move forward. It may require change though, so let's utilise that creative, generous spirit that has always been part of our community.

And most of all, I would like to thank Mels for making ES possible for so long. We owe you so much. (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/throb.gif)

+Quote Post
Margherita
post Oct 26 2010, 09:15 PM
Post #7
Ultimate fan

Group Icon

I completely agree with Lasse - this site is not just another Marilyn-forum, this is worldwide culturally important site about Marilyn Monroe, of many aspects of her life, both herself, her times and people and the life surrounding her.

Personally my physical health situation that demands me to save every cent, my depths and my own poetry/novel collection of which I'm currently doing a fair clean copy, don't allow me to do much else.....I wouldn't mind if this site would find it's place of refuge or shelter as a Facebook-site for a while - waiting for better times to come. There could be ways to take care that the participants would be devoted MM-fans of this site, I'm not a Facebook-expert but the ones who know should know how to do and not to do it.

----

The pictures are naturally restored by Mels in archives, and they could be seen in a special site or sites, again, the ones that are more familiar with Internet than I, may find a clever solution.

I'm sad to hear this - and grateful of this period I've actively visited this site, which is about two and a half years now (allthough I subscribed already 2005).

-----

Could the solution be as simple as to wink of this site to some cultural society that is interested in keeping up Marilyn's legacy or maybe this site becoming part of some prominent MM-club in the world ?

+Quote Post
LasseK
post Oct 26 2010, 10:01 PM
Post #8
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(Ultraviolet @ Oct 26 2010, 09:15 PM) *
I completely agree with Lasse - this site is not just another Marilyn-forum, this is worldwide culturally important site about Marilyn Monroe, of many aspects of her life, both herself, her times and people and the life surrounding her.

Personally my physical health situation that demands me to save every cent [...]
----

The pictures are naturally restored by Mels in archives, and they could be seen in a special site or sites, again [...]

Could the solution be as simple as to wink of this site to some cultural society that is interested in keeping up Marilyn's legacy or maybe this site becoming part of some prominent MM-club in the world ?

I'm afraid that alll pictures, along with everything else on ES, are being stored on a server which costs money to run. You may regard it as a storage facility for which someone has to pay rent...

I believe there is no solution in asking for repeated small donations by members.

The solution would be to find a sponsor/donor of some substantial means, which could financially guarantee the future of ES and allow it to keep running.

This sponsor/donor could be a company, a "cultural society" of sorts or maybe some privat fund or well-doer, who appreciates what ES represents and does (or a any combination thereof), provided there is no unwanted interference with the actual running of the board.

Maybe, rather than my first suggestions, we should direct ourselves to possibly interested parties in the US, where there may be a more immediate understanding and appreciation of what ES stands for.

We'd need some more detailed information from Mels, like

1) how much does it cost to keep ES running?

2) Other than money, what kind of internet-knowledge would it take to run a board like this?

3) Is Mels willing to let go of and let someone else take over ES?

4) Would it be possible or preferred that ES would stay at the present host?

5) In case it would be needed, would it be possible to move and transfer the whole forum to another host?

Lasse

+Quote Post
MMcamera
post Oct 26 2010, 11:10 PM
Post #9
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

I'm so sorry to hear this. I reference ES all the time when I need to find a particular photo or information. It is such an amazing resource and there is nothing like it on the internet.

I understand the frustration with hosting costs. I am currently nearing this situation myself as I am coming uncomfortably close to the bandwidth limit my hosting company allows. I also pay a separate cost each month to host my podcasts with another company separate from the Marilyn and the Camera website. I haven't been able to find to a cheaper alternative. When your site gets to a certain size and it is popular the cost really get out of control. I can't imagine what it costs to host a forum.

I agree that asking for donations each month is not going to be a long-term solution. Mels, if you are comfortable sharing the monthly cost you are facing either publicly or if you could PM I would be really interested to know. Knowing how much space and bandwidth you use would be helpful too.

+Quote Post
mels
post Oct 27 2010, 07:59 AM
Post #10
Isn't it delicious?

Group Icon

Dear all,

First off, I'd like to thank you all for your kind words. I fully understand why you'd like to save ES, that's what I'd like to do as well but I'm starting to run out of solutions. As some of you have guessed the main problem is the continuous renewal of the hosting. I could pay once for 1, 2 or 3 years but that requires an amount that I don't have on my bank account...

Here are the answers to the questions asked so far:

1) How much does it cost to keep ES running?

Hosting cost: 436 euros (600 USD) a year. The longer you pay in advance for the lesser you pay. As I pay on a monthly basis and renew the hosting each month, I pay 40 euros (55 USD) a month. With a house to pay, and a baby coming up, I sadly can no longer afford this :(

2) Other than money, what kind of internet-knowledge would it take to run a board like this?

Apache server administration abilities (which can be small if the server offers something like Plesk or CPanel). It still needs knowledge on debugging PHP code and MySQL databases a bit, uploading files, editing files whenever needed, etc.

It's a tough question because I like this site and running it, and being a part of it as much as I can (which mean on the technical side). I'd totally welcome other people helping me out or making decisions on how to run the boards, organize them especially if they are helping this place staying up etc, but I'd definitely still like to be a part of it.

4) Would it be possible or preferred that ES would stay at the present host?

In theory all hosts with similar offers (I can provide detail on the server specifics if needs - disk space, RAM, etc) should be fine. That being said we've looked on the web I didn't find cheaper offers (even the host I currently does no longer have the offer I'm currently using, it's now more expensive).

5) In case it would be needed, would it be possible to move and transfer the whole forum to another host?

In theory this is feasible but the VERY high amount of files uploaded on the forums always make this hard (we've tried several times and lost files along the way) and pain... But it's absolutely feasible.

Let me know if you have more questions
Mels

+Quote Post
Paju
post Oct 27 2010, 08:23 AM
Post #11
♥ Appleblossom ♥

Group Icon

40 euros a month or 436 euros a year is a lot of money especially when one person has to pay most of it. I know I couldn't afford it. However, I could be able to pay a little bit of it, and if enough people are also willing to do this, then ES could be saved. On a monthly basis, if we could gather together 8 people who could give 5 euros each month, that would cover the costs. 5 euros is not that much. But this would of course require that these people commit to it. I'd be willing to do it though. Or if we can gather together 20 people who would be willing to pay 20 euros, that would make 400 euros and cover most of one year's costs.

I also like Lasse's idea of having some sort of a sponsor, either a company (which would have its risks though), a cultural society or a private person. This would be a great solution. Personally I don't know how to find a sponsor like that, but maybe someone here does.

We just have to save ES.

On a more positive note: Mels, congratulations on the baby (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/hug.gif)

+Quote Post
LasseK
post Oct 27 2010, 11:39 AM
Post #12
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(mels @ Oct 27 2010, 07:59 AM) *
Dear all,

It's a tough question because I like this site and running it, and being a part of it as much as I can (which mean on the technical side). I'd totally welcome other people helping me out or making decisions on how to run the boards, organize them especially if they are helping this place staying up etc, but I'd definitely still like to be a part of it.
Mels

Thanks, Mels, for your answers.

I'm particularly happy to hear that you do want to stay on, if we can find a solution. I wasn't sure about that. That's good news. (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

Lasse

+Quote Post
Tara
post Oct 27 2010, 01:27 PM
Post #13
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

I regret to say I can't commit to regular monthly payments. I will do what I can to help, other than financially.

+Quote Post
mmcollector
post Oct 27 2010, 01:39 PM
Post #14
ES.net Sponsor

Group Icon

Mels, please check your email. I've sent you a message.

+Quote Post
mare
post Oct 27 2010, 03:29 PM
Post #15
Super admirer

Group Icon

Oh, I'm sick ...... oh, i'm so sad particularly since I just found ES this year! I didn't know about it! I missed a lot of years. I can't get enough of the forums, I've been on every day.... I'm going to cry.

Thank you Mels for all the work and thank you Paju, Tara, FAv Nettie and all others I just started to get to know and everyone who added to ES and who administrated.

Lassek's suggestion about a sponsor is wonderful. I wouldn't know how to go about doing that.... I think it's a viable route though. Lassek is right, there is no other forum like ES for the collected information and archival footage and the discussions of MM.

Membership fees in differing amounts using your titles? Student (5 euros), Marilyn addict (10 euros), Marilyn admirer (20 euros) and so on. This is what other unrelated sites do. This might exclude some fans but it would help with costs. This way those who are members can choose what they can afford.

I'd be willing to do that to keep ES going. It might be most viable as a Facebook page, though, but it would not be the same as it is now as in archival information, collections, etc.

I'm so upset but I certainly understand. (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/no.gif)

This post has been edited by mare: Oct 27 2010, 08:30 PM

+Quote Post
MMcamera
post Oct 27 2010, 11:41 PM
Post #16
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

Thanks for sharing this info Mels. Congrats on the baby too!

I'm curious do you have much extra space on the server account you use? Would it be possible for you to host other websites and charge people for this?

+Quote Post
suusmarie
post Oct 27 2010, 11:54 PM
Post #17
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I'm completly shocked, but understand Mel's predicament.

I can absolutly not imagine my MM world without ES, as many of you probably, so let's get together and save ES (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/helpsmilie.gif) !

I can, and want to, make a monthly contribution of 10 Euro's. That might get us started...

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/hug.gif) Suus

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Oct 28 2010, 12:22 AM
Post #18
Daisy

Group Icon

QUOTE(Paju @ Oct 27 2010, 07:23 AM) *
40 euros a month or 436 euros a year is a lot of money especially when one person has to pay most of it. I know I couldn't afford it. However, I could be able to pay a little bit of it, and if enough people are also willing to do this, then ES could be saved. On a monthly basis, if we could gather together 8 people who could give 5 euros each month, that would cover the costs. 5 euros is not that much. But this would of course require that these people commit to it. I'd be willing to do it though. Or if we can gather together 20 people who would be willing to pay 20 euros, that would make 400 euros and cover most of one year's costs.

I also like Lasse's idea of having some sort of a sponsor, either a company (which would have its risks though), a cultural society or a private person. This would be a great solution. Personally I don't know how to find a sponsor like that, but maybe someone here does.

We just have to save ES.

On a more positive note: Mels, congratulations on the baby (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/hug.gif)

I'm with you Sirkku. I will commit. Even though I am very sad, I most certainly understand now why Mels has come to her decision.
I had NO idea she was forking out SO much money. I can't believe she has done it for this long. And I am very great full. I wouldn't THINK of ES without Mels.

Now, to even MORE important things....

Congratulations Mels !!! How awesomely great. You take care now. (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif) (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif) (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif)
And.... thank you for every single day of all 8 wonderful years.

P. S. Sending you IM.

+Quote Post
Kevin
post Oct 28 2010, 03:38 AM
Post #19
Norma Jeane Fanatic

Group Icon

I understand too, I cant help financially becasue I found out that I have cancer, so sorry Mels, I wish I could. Maybe we can all do something other than that eh? I love this place. :(

+Quote Post
Nara
post Oct 28 2010, 04:16 AM
Post #20

Group Icon

Gee, this is really sad. Ive been a lurker here for a long time and never thought Id actually post anything ever, but I gotta say, I enjoy browsing through this forum a lot, I would really hate to see it go down. It's such a wonderful place for Marilyn Monroe fans. If you start a fund or something Im definitely open to helping financially.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th August 2019 - 08:18 PM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.