Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sourcing Quotes
Share |
Tara
post Aug 30 2010, 11:01 PM
Post #1
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

Does anyone know where this quote comes from? It's always being attributed to Marilyn on the internet...

A wise girl kisses but doesn't love, listens but doesn't believe, and leaves before she is left.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
meztisa
post Aug 31 2010, 04:10 AM
Post #2
team marilyn

Group Icon

Unfortunately, I can't find any real source to attribute this to Marilyn. (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) It's a clever quote, however misandrist is may be. I can't say that it sounds like her, because I did not know her personally and will not put words in her mouth. (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/thumbup1.gif)

Here are more quotes that are unsourced, however highly attributed to Marilyn Monroe:

• I’m selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can’t handle me at my worst, you sure as hell don’t deserve me at my best.
  • I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go. Things go wrong so you can appreciate them when they’re right. You believe lies so eventually you trust no one but yourself. And sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.
  • I am good, but I am no angel. I sin, but I am not the Devil. I am pretty, but I am not beautiful. I have friends but I am not the peacemaker. I am just a small girl in a big world, trying to find someone to love.
  • Imperfection is beauty. Madness is genius, and it’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.

Anyone who knows where these quotes come from please tell! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/balloon.gif)

+Quote Post
Tara
post Aug 31 2010, 10:24 AM
Post #3
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

Thanks Felicia, and I agree on all these quotes. The reason I asked is that the 'wise girl' quote was the inspiration for Saving Abel's song 'Stupid Girl (Only in Hollywood)':

When the lights hit your eyes at night
You're hypnotized
Don't be a fool for the wolves in disguise
You're not a stupid girl
The grammar in your head is playing dead
Sugar-tongue rolling off your lips whispering
You're not a stupid girl

Cause your climbing up the list
Pretty little, box office hit and miss

You always kiss before you're kissed
You always wanna leave before you're left
You're never gonna be the same
Cause you're flirting with fame in the city of angels
They're calling your name
Only in Hollywood

I'm sorry for all the clouds in your life
You always were the kind who loved the rainy nights
You're not a stupid girl
I think you only want, what you think you can't have
You lie so much
You believe your self
You're not a stupid girl

+Quote Post
Tara
post Aug 31 2010, 12:02 PM
Post #4
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

So of course, I had to write an article about it!

http://blog.everlasting-star.net/2010/08/m...red-by-marilyn/

+Quote Post
Maneki Neko
post Aug 31 2010, 01:43 PM
Post #5
Wild hearts run out of time

Group Icon

Great thread! I have been wondering about these quotes as well. I would also like some information about this quote:

"This life is what you make it. Not matter what, you're going to mess up sometimes, it's a universal truth. But the good part is you get to decide how you're going to mess it up. Girls will be your friends - they'll act like it anyway. But just remember, some come, some go. The ones that stay with you through everything - they're your true best friends. Don't let go of them. Also remember, sisters make the best friends in the world. As for lovers, well, they'll come and go too. And babe, I hate to say it, most of them - actually pretty much all of them are going to break your heart, but you can't give up because if you give up, you'll never find your soul mate. You'll never find that half who makes you whole and that goes for everything. Just because you fail once, doesn't mean you're gonna fail at everything. Keep trying, hold on, and always, always, always believe in yourself, because if you don't, then who will, sweetie? So keep your head high, keep your chin up, and most importantly, keep smiling, because life's a beautiful thing and there's so much to smile about."

+Quote Post
MMcamera
post Aug 31 2010, 06:28 PM
Post #6
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

This is one of my personal pet peeves. You would not believe the amount of girls going out and getting these huge quotes tattooed onto their bodies as a Marilyn quote. People see the quotes on a website and assume it is true :(

+Quote Post
Margherita
post Aug 31 2010, 08:09 PM
Post #7
Ultimate fan

Group Icon

Some parts of those quotes may be Marilyn's and something can be added - allready during her lifetime, I suppose, strange words were put in her mouth, invented.

Now, decades afterwards, down the years, many quotes may have lived their own lives, not having been initially her sayings; these words I took notice of: babe, sweetie - somehow they don't sound like something Marilyn used but came more usual in the seventies - and as much of the above philosophy sounds very "feministic", who knows, maybe some "gloria steinem" has invented them. Not that they wouldn't be reasonable observations on life.

+Quote Post
Maneki Neko
post Sep 1 2010, 03:14 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Yes, I agree, Ultraviolet. I have tried to tell a lot of people that they shouldn't trust all of these quotes that they find on the Internet, but nobody seems to believe me.

+Quote Post
MMcamera
post Sep 1 2010, 05:19 PM
Post #9
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

I feel torn when people send me their tattoos to put on my website. By posting them other people are getting the idea to copy them. I have no idea if half of these quotes were actually said by Marilyn. However, I'm not going to censor what people submit so I post everything.

Totally agree that these quotes have grown as legend over the years.

+Quote Post
Tara
post Sep 1 2010, 05:26 PM
Post #10
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

I've seen that one recently, and try as I might, I just can't imagine Marilyn saying 'babe'. Honey, yes, but babe seems wrong for her era...

Glad I'm not the only one who gets frustrated by this. If we can't be sure Marilyn said these things, how can we believe they tell us anything about her? They might be authentic but I have yet to find a source, though I do try to keep an open mind.

To me, this is the downside of the internet. It's great that information is so much more freely available these days, but if the facts are wrong then it's not of much use. It will just confirm all the misunderstandings about Marilyn out there.

QUOTE(Maneki Neko @ Aug 31 2010, 01:43 PM) *
Great thread! I have been wondering about these quotes as well. I would also like some information about this quote:

"This life is what you make it. Not matter what, you're going to mess up sometimes, it's a universal truth. But the good part is you get to decide how you're going to mess it up. Girls will be your friends - they'll act like it anyway. But just remember, some come, some go. The ones that stay with you through everything - they're your true best friends. Don't let go of them. Also remember, sisters make the best friends in the world. As for lovers, well, they'll come and go too. And babe, I hate to say it, most of them - actually pretty much all of them are going to break your heart, but you can't give up because if you give up, you'll never find your soul mate. You'll never find that half who makes you whole and that goes for everything. Just because you fail once, doesn't mean you're gonna fail at everything. Keep trying, hold on, and always, always, always believe in yourself, because if you don't, then who will, sweetie? So keep your head high, keep your chin up, and most importantly, keep smiling, because life's a beautiful thing and there's so much to smile about."

+Quote Post
Maneki Neko
post Jun 2 2011, 01:48 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

According to this site http://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/1761644 the quote "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring" can be found in My Story or Marilyn: Her Life in Her Own Words. I find it a little confusing which of these two books that supposedly is the source. However, I don't remember reading it in either of these books. Is my memory failing me, or is the information incorrect?

+Quote Post
Robby
post Jun 2 2011, 03:01 PM
Post #12
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Even if that quote does come from My Story it's most likely to be made up by Ben Hecht.

+Quote Post
Maneki Neko
post Jun 2 2011, 10:19 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Yes, of course, but I would still like to know if there is in fact a source for this quote. It seems very strange that we all seemed to agree that this was one of these unsourced quotes that is floating around the Internet, if it not only has a source, but the source is one of the most well known books about Marilyn.

+Quote Post
Tara
post Jun 3 2011, 07:18 PM
Post #14
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

Interesting, but I don't recall reading it in either of those books.

+Quote Post
Maneki Neko
post Jun 5 2011, 12:45 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

I did notice that this site contain a lot of so called Marilyn quotes that are either not said by her, or there is no proof that she ever said, so it really doesn't seem very reliable to me. (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/hmm.gif)

I have found out a little about some other quotes that are constantly being attributed to Marilyn on the Internet, though:

"Ever notice how 'What the hell' is always the right answer?"
- The Actress, a character based on Marilyn, in the movie Insignificance. Her exact words were: "Have you ever noticed how 'What the hell' is always the right decision to make?"

"Well-behaved women seldom make history."/"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
- Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

"Being a sex symbol is a heavy load to carry, especially when one is tired, hurt and bewildered."
- Clara Bow

"It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for something you are not."
- Attributed to André Gide. Kurt Cobain apparently also said something similar: "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not."

"Wanting to be someone else, is a waste of the person you are."
- Attributed to Kurt Cobain, but apparently the true source is unknown.

"Diamonds are a girls best friend."
- A song preformed by Marilyn, Carol Channing and others, and obviously not a quote by Marilyn herself.

"We are all of us stars, and we deserve to twinkle."/"We are all of us stars, and we deserve to shine."/"Everyone's a star and deserves the right to twinkle."/"Everyone's a star and deserves the right to shine."
- Based on something Marilyn wrote in a telegram to Mr. and Mrs. Robert Kennedy in 1962: "Unfortunately, I am involved in a freedom ride protesting the loss of the minority rights belonging to the few remaining earthbound stars. After all, all we demanded was our right to twinkle."

I also noticed that Tara mentioned this quote as one of these unsourced quotes in her review of Marilyn Monroe: The Personal Archive: "Beneath the make-up and behind the smile I am just a girl who wishes for the world."

If any of this information is incorrect, please tell me. I am trying to find out as much as possible about all these so called Marilyn quotes that I find on the Internet.

+Quote Post
Tara
post Jun 5 2011, 11:06 AM
Post #16
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

Good work Rebecca! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif)

+Quote Post
meganmarilyn
post Jul 8 2011, 10:41 AM
Post #17
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Thinkexist.com
Finding Quotations was never this easy!

A search site for quotes. (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/throb.gif)

Here are Marilyn's...
http://en.thinkexist.com/quotes/Marilyn_Monroe/

This post has been edited by meganmarilyn: Jul 16 2011, 06:07 PM

+Quote Post
purple-haze
post Jul 12 2011, 09:31 AM
Post #18
Just wants to be wonderful...

Group Icon

Great thread! I hate it when you see people quote these on fb! I only believe it was said by Mm is I hear/see it come out of her mouth!

+Quote Post
Menna-90
post Jul 17 2011, 07:47 PM
Post #19
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

Does anyone know if the notes from the book fragments are really written by marilyn.. all of them? Or is there any new information about it that some of them are false?

in particulary the note "live your life" (if i'm correct)

+Quote Post
Maneki Neko
post Nov 15 2011, 03:00 AM
Post #20

Group Icon

Recently I have seen this quote all over the place:

"To all you girls that think you're fat because your not a size 0, you're the beautiful one. It's society who's ugly."

Clothing sizes where quite different back in Marilyn's day, so it seems rather strange that she would have an opinion about modern vanity sizing. What do you guys think?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th February 2018 - 12:45 AM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.