Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Marilyn And Greta Garbo, Did they ever meet?
Share |
SugarKane78
post Jun 4 2010, 02:40 PM
Post #1
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

Just curious, cause Greta's my 2nd favorite actress. I know in "Music for Chameleons" Capote tells a story about Greta wanting to do "Dorian Gray" with Marilyn, which would have been amazing if it had ever happened.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tara
post Jun 4 2010, 06:40 PM
Post #2
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

I'm not sure if they did, Garbo was quite elusive. I remember reading somewhere that Garbo had seen MM's films though and liked her a lot. And Marilyn is quoted as saying she watched Garbo's films whenever they were on TV.

I love Garbo too, she is one of the only other actresses I've seen who has some of the luminosity I associate with Marilyn.

+Quote Post
SugarKane78
post Jun 4 2010, 06:51 PM
Post #3
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

QUOTE(Tara @ Jun 4 2010, 09:40 AM) *
I'm not sure if they did, Garbo was quite elusive. I remember reading somewhere that Garbo had seen MM's films though and liked her a lot. And Marilyn is quoted as saying she watched Garbo's films whenever they were on TV.

That is awesome, it makes me so happy that my two favorite actresses liked each other's work (even if they never met). (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/marilynbybrandon_190.gif) Interesting how at times Marilyn tried to hide, much like Greta, by wearing disguises and also by leaving Hollywood to go to New York. And apparently a fan once asked Greta if she was Greta Garbo, and she replied "I WAS Greta Garbo", making the distinction between herself as a movie star and as a real person...sort of like how Marilyn often referred to herself in the third person.

Their lives have some interesting parallels.

ETA: agree so much about the luminosity - they had the 2 most beautiful and interesting faces of pretty much all time, IMO.

This post has been edited by SugarKane78: Jun 4 2010, 06:58 PM

+Quote Post
MissCaswell
post Jun 5 2010, 05:07 AM
Post #4
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

In 'A beautiful child' by Truman Capote he writes that Constance Collier, Marilyn's acting coach for a few months in 1955, said to him that Greta Garbo told her that she thought Marilyn was underestimated or something like that. At least that's how I remember it. But then, that is a 3rd hand account, written by Capote a decade or so after it would have happened. In this text, it seems as though Greta had only seen a couple of Marilyn's film rather than having actually met her in person, all I recall reading about Marilyn and Greta being mentioned together.

+Quote Post
SugarKane78
post Jun 10 2010, 04:18 PM
Post #5
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

I just read that a Garbo biopic is coming out next year, with a Swedish actress playing her. I wonder if it will be any good.

Marilyn and Greta seem to have remained the two most intriguing legends, because no one can get the real facts about their lives - so many inaccuracies have been printed about them both. I wish they had known eachother; I'm so curious as to whether they would have gotten along...

+Quote Post
Margherita
post Jun 10 2010, 07:47 PM
Post #6
Ultimate fan

Group Icon

I think they might have gotten along very well, at least Marilyn would have appreciated Greta's craving for "being left alone". They both loved to have a tranquil private life besides the show business world; Marilyn would have devoured Greta's stories of the old Hollywood and it's characters, Greta would have understood Marilyn's anxieties in her times film world, maybe given good advices.
But I've understood also that when Garbo abandoned the show bizz world, she didn't lead a life with parties or become a socialite, but then, Marilyn also had quite a lot of that kind of acquaintances, people who were silent, people with whom she could talk about life and literature; that is also one reason I personally don't believe that Marilyn was a good friend of Jeanne Carmen, as somebody said, they had so different interests and contexts, Carmen was not at all a kind of woman in whose company Marilyn would have enjoyed being, but Garbo certainly could have been.
But Greta Garbo, I think, had a healthy life style, she didn't drink, she ate healthily, went bed early - I may be wrong though.
And maybe she wouldn't have liked Marilyn calling her after 3 am, I don't know; but I don't think Marilyn called just everybody during the night, she knew whom she can call and whom not.

Then again, it's also about chemistry, you never can know for sure.

Attached File Greta_Garbo_2.jpg ( 28.94K )Number of downloads: 39

This post has been edited by Ultraviolet: Jun 14 2010, 08:31 PM

+Quote Post
magda24
post Jun 10 2010, 09:14 PM
Post #7
The light descends from nowhere

Group Icon

I remember reading somewhere- though I can't recall now where- that Marilyn created her unique eye makeup trying to sort of emulate, model after Garbo's eye shape/makeup. don't know if it's true but I found it really cool, since everybody always emphasizes Harlow influences on Marilyn but Garbo is rarely mentioned when it comes to Marilyn's look inspiration.

+Quote Post
Tara
post Jun 11 2010, 07:27 AM
Post #8
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

QUOTE(magda24 @ Jun 10 2010, 09:14 PM) *
I remember reading somewhere- though I can't recall now where- that Marilyn created her unique eye makeup trying to sort of emulate, model after Garbo's eye shape/makeup. don't know if it's true but I found it really cool, since everybody always emphasizes Harlow influences on Marilyn but Garbo is rarely mentioned when it comes to Marilyn's look inspiration.

I think there was a line in Susan Strasberg's book about Marilyn 'putting on her Garbo eyes' before going out at night (or words to that effect!)

+Quote Post
SugarKane78
post Jun 14 2010, 03:15 PM
Post #9
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

QUOTE(Ultraviolet @ Jun 10 2010, 10:47 AM) *
I think they might have gotten along very well, at least Marilyn would have appreciated Greta's craving for "being left alone". They both loved to have a tranquil private life besides the show business world; Marilyn would have devoured Greta's stories of the old Hollywood and it's characters, Greta would have understood Marilyn's anxieties in her times film world, maybe given good advices.
But I've understood also that when Garbo abandoned the show bizz world, she didn't lead a life with parties or become a socialite, but then, Marilyn also had quite a lot of that kind of acquaintances, people who were silent, people with whom she could talk about life and literature; that is also one reason I personally don't believe that Marilyn was a good friend of Jeanne Carmen, as somebody said, they had so different interests and contexts, Carmen was not at all a kind of woman in whose company Marilyn would have enjoyed being, but Garbo certainly could have been.
But Greta Garbo, I think, had a healthy life style, she didn't drink, she ate healthily, went bed early - I may be wrong though.
And maybe she wouldn't have liked Marilyn calling her after 3 pm, I don't know; but I don't think Marilyn called just everybody during the night, she knew whom she can call and whom not.

Then again, it's also about chemistry, you never can know for sure.

Attached File Greta_Garbo_2.jpg ( 28.94K )Number of downloads: 39

I think Greta might have been a really good influence on Marilyn. She was strong and independent and lived her life her own way. They had similar backgrounds too, in that Greta was forced to drop out of school at a very young age, grew up very poor, had a difficult relationship with her mother and lost her father at a young age. She became the biggest star of her time, but it seems never felt comfortable with the Hollywood lifestyle. This seems to be something that plagued Marilyn as well - the dichotomy between being the "Marilyn Monroe" people expected of her and truly finding - and existing as - herself.

Like Marilyn, the people who knew Garbo on a personal level said she was very different from her on screen persona - that she was funny and engaging and not as morose as she was often made out to be. And of course we know Marilyn was so much smarter and wittier than most people thought, and that she had much more depth.

It's hard to ascertain any real "truth" about either of them, though, because they were both in many ways quite mysterious...

In any case, they are my two favorite actresses of all time - not just because I love their movies, but because I find their lives fascinating and think they both had extraordinary strength. I wish they could have met; I would be so interested to know what they thought of one another.

Marilyn did work with my other favorite actress, Barbara Stanwyck, who from what I understand was very kind to Marilyn. (in face I think I read that Marilyn said that Stanwyck was the only one from "Old Hollywood" that was ever nice to her). I loved that, it just reinforced for me what a classy and awesome lady Stanwyck was (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/marilynbybrandon_190.gif)

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Apr 27 2020, 06:02 PM
Post #10
Daisy

Group Icon

I'm a big fan of Great Garbo and Camille is my top favorite of hers.
I wonder who she went with ? Arthur ?

February 8, 1955

Marilyn Monroe, treated to a private screening of "Camille" paid Greta Garbo the supreme tribute:
dabbed at her eyes with a dainty handkerchief as she exited from the theater.

February 9, 1955

Strolling into the Normandy Theater where "Camille" is playing, I noticed that audiences peer intently about the house.
Garbo's biography reveals that she likes to slip unknown into theaters where her pictures are shown, and often sits through
two performances studying her past performances.
Attached File(s)
Attached File 1955_Feb_8_Camille.jpg ( 22.24K )Number of downloads: 2
Attached File 1955_Feb_9_Garbo_watches_herself.jpg ( 29.21K )Number of downloads: 2

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th October 2020 - 11:09 PM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.