Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest: please Log In.
Everlasting Star is now a private community which no longer accepts new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :
6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mm: Personal - From The Private Archive Of Marilyn Monroe, By Lois Banner, Mark Anderson
Share |
Tara
post Nov 9 2010, 12:40 PM
Post #21
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

Hardcover: 336 pages
Publisher: Abrams (March 1, 2011)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0810995875
ISBN-13: 978-0810995871
Attached File(s)
Attached File banner.jpg ( 36.06K )Number of downloads: 86

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tiina
post Nov 9 2010, 01:42 PM
Post #22
Ihana, ihanampi, Marilyn.

Group Icon

Oooh, what a lovely cover! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif) And sounds fairly interesting.

+Quote Post
MMcamera
post Nov 9 2010, 01:50 PM
Post #23
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/jumpymm.gif) LOVE THAT COVER!!!

+Quote Post
chris
post Nov 9 2010, 08:06 PM
Post #24
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I can't wait about this one
I would to have it since so many times
Chris

+Quote Post
Paju
post Nov 10 2010, 10:40 AM
Post #25
♥ Appleblossom ♥

Group Icon

Loving the cover and the content sounds so interesting! I just wish they'd publish it before March.

+Quote Post
Maneki Neko
post Nov 10 2010, 11:44 PM
Post #26
Wild hearts run out of time

Group Icon

I also love the cover! However, I actually don't mind if it isn't published until March because I haven't even had the chance to order all of the new books that have been published lately yet. Haha!

+Quote Post
blondealways
post Nov 11 2010, 01:59 AM
Post #27
Marilyn Fan For Life!

Group Icon

QUOTE(Tara @ Nov 9 2010, 04:40 AM) *
Hardcover: 336 pages
Publisher: Abrams (March 1, 2011)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0810995875
ISBN-13: 978-0810995871

Gorgeous Cover i cannot wait to get my hands on it! thanks for posting i have been wanting to see what the cover looks like! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif)

+Quote Post
Tara
post Nov 18 2010, 11:56 AM
Post #28
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

Synopsis from Amazon...

“Marilyn Monroe is the most famous, ubiquitous, and idolized woman of our modern age. An icon of physical beauty, sexuality, and the quintessentially American dream, Marilyn’s legend continues to grow four decades after her death. MM:Personal is a new and illuminating look behind the veil of that legend, reproducing artifacts and documents – thought to have been lost since 1962 and never before revealed to the public – to clarify, qualify, or reverse many common conceptions about the blond bombshell. Selected from more than 10,000 largely unseen and heretofore unpublished items that were stored in Marilyn’s two personal file cabinets – the ‘Rosetta Stones of Marilyn Monroe scholarship’ – the collection also draws from the important collections of Greg Schreiner and Scott Fortner. These documents, snapshots, letters, memorabilia, and ephemera are joined by the first account of Monroe’s life since Gloria Steinem’s Marilyn to be written by a feminist historian, Dr Lois W. Banner, bringing a depth of understanding previously unavailable to her life. New answers come to light, such as what the dimensions were of Marilyn’s personal management of her public persona, Marilyn’s relationship to the photographers with whom she worked, how sensitive she was to her fans, and the tenor of her marriages to Joe DiMaggio and Arthur Miller. MM:Personal promises to completely refocus how we view Marilyn’s private life, personal relationships, and legacy.”

+Quote Post
Mezzo
post Nov 18 2010, 07:02 PM
Post #29
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Call me tired, but I looked for the 'like' button after I read your post, Tara.

+Quote Post
Marloes
post Nov 22 2010, 09:40 AM
Post #30
Silent Reverie

Group Icon

I love the cover! This book is on my wishlist, hopefully I'll get it for Christmas (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

+Quote Post
Tara
post Jan 20 2011, 10:28 AM
Post #31
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

“Unlike last year’s Fragments, which consisted solely of Marilyn’s notes, poems, jottings, recipes, etc., MM Personal — while it also has letters from the star — is mainly correspondence to Monroe. From friends and professional colleagues — including harried notes and telegrams from publicists frantic to put a stop to the unhappy publicity surrounding Marilyn’s behavior on the set of “Some Like It Hot.” These strategic plans are overshadowed by Monroe’s miscarriage, which is referred to. (There is even talk of suing Time magazine.)

Among the affectionate missives is this telegram from the great Broadway and movie choreographer Jack Cole: “The universe sparkles with miracles, but none among them shines like you. Remember that when you go to sleep.” The book, a luscious glossy thing, is studded with photos, many of them Monroe’s personal items — including artwork she purchased just before her death.

There’s a great deal of minutiae that only the most devoted MM fans will appreciate –check stubs and such. But the overall vibe of the book is wrenching, because it clarifies Monroe’s humanity, her working life, her normal day-to-day existence. She didn’t lurch around every single moment in a drug-induced coma. She had a vital — if troubled —existence. She wrote to her stepchildren by Arthur Miller (in the voice of the family dog, Hugo) and she wrote to Isadore Miller, even after she had divorced his son, Arthur.”

Read Liz Smith’s review in full at WowOwow

+Quote Post
Paju
post Jan 20 2011, 04:11 PM
Post #32
♥ Appleblossom ♥

Group Icon

Wonderful review, I can't wait for the book (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

+Quote Post
sugarkane20
post Jan 25 2011, 06:23 AM
Post #33
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

i cant wait!

+Quote Post
chris
post Feb 5 2011, 09:17 AM
Post #34
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

No more than 3 weeks to wait !!!!
Chris and with more than 300 pictures

+Quote Post
Paju
post Feb 9 2011, 02:05 PM
Post #35
♥ Appleblossom ♥

Group Icon

I'm holding the book in my hands! It arrived today with the Vachon book (which looks great too). I took a quick glance and the book seems incredible! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I'm going to go read it now and I will post more after I'm done.

+Quote Post
Paju
post Feb 9 2011, 08:10 PM
Post #36
♥ Appleblossom ♥

Group Icon

This book is quickly becoming one of my absolute favorites - and I don't say things like this lightly! There are letters people have sent to MM that she kept. Among them is a very touching letter from 1958, where a woman offers a baby girl for the Miller's to adopt, since the baby's mother is unable to take care of her. I also love the letter from a mother of a Korea soldier - she praises Marilyn because her son loved MM's visit to Korea.

The first pages I happened to open were 100-101, and on page 101 there's an absolutely beautiful photo of MM looking back at me. It must be a sign.

+Quote Post
Tara
post Feb 9 2011, 08:28 PM
Post #37
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

How exciting! I hope my book will come soon, I wasn't expecting it until March (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

+Quote Post
Paju
post Feb 9 2011, 08:37 PM
Post #38
♥ Appleblossom ♥

Group Icon

I wasn't expecting it until March either, but then I happened to check out a Finnish online bookstore - and they had it in stock (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif) I'm sure you'll love it when you get it, Tara.

Edit: There's also a heartbreaking letter from Harry C. Wilson to Berniece, written shortly after Marilyn's death. Wilson tells how he loved Gladys before she had her mental breakdown - and apparently never stopped loving her. He remembers a Christmas time he spent with Gladys and Norma Jeane, going to see a Christmas parade and lifting Norma Jeane up to his shoulders so that she could see better. "I hoped then that people watching us would think they both belonged to me and they were mine." And a little bit later: "I told her I was very much in love with her and her little girl."
Just think how different Norma Jeane's childhood might have been had Gladys' mental health been better. I'm not saying I blame her, not at all. Maybe she could have fallen in love with Wilson as deeply as he fell for her - who knows, maybe she did love him. Then they could have been a happy little family. Norma Jeane would have had a father figure. It's interesting to think how her life would have turned out if this one thing had been different.

This post has been edited by Paju: Feb 9 2011, 10:01 PM

+Quote Post
nicky62
post Feb 11 2011, 04:03 AM
Post #39
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Can anyone scan the book pages or at least some rare pics please ? thank you in advance nicky62

+Quote Post
chris
post Feb 11 2011, 09:35 AM
Post #40
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

How lucky persons you are ?
It is the book that I'm still waiting since october 2008 and the column on Vanity Fair
I hope to get it as soon as it would be possible
Chris

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th February 2016 - 12:28 AM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.