Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :

> Read before you post anything

May 6th 2005 : NEW RULES!

Before you start to post here, please remember that this is the place to ask only questions related to a photo or photographer, dates or events etc. It's not the right forum to post requests for/like

- bigger sizes
- without the watermark
- more from this session etc.

Those (for example) belong to the "Pictures Requests" subforum.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Marilyn Traveling By Taxi, 1957?
Share |
linkeando
post Aug 5 2009, 10:52 PM
Post #1
IŽll follow her... always

Group Icon

more info? when? where?
Attached File(s)
Attached File 56FPZPCM01_005.JPG ( 115.83K )Number of downloads: 98

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
suusmarie
post Aug 6 2009, 01:47 AM
Post #2
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(linkeando @ Aug 5 2009, 11:52 PM) *
more info? when? where?

I have the photo filed as MM at Sutton Place in NY, on her way to Roxbury, 24 june 1956.
Attached File(s)
Attached File 1956.06.24.MM_AM.SuttonPlace.NY.to.Roxbury.02.jpg ( 68.62K )Number of downloads: 98

+Quote Post
linkeando
post Aug 25 2009, 01:56 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

OK, solved for me! thanx suus

+Quote Post
Guest_Candle_*
post Oct 1 2009, 04:52 AM
Post #4

I remember reading in one of James Haspiel's books that Marilyn tried to foil the press, who were swamping her after news of her impending marriage broke, by jumping into a taxi cab and having the taxi drive her only a couple blocks or so away where Arthur Miller was waiting for her in a car. Arthur then whisked her away to Roxbury in the car. It seems that it almost worked! Although one crafty photographer must have been tailing her or have been in the right place at the right time to capture her leaving the taxi! This might well be the photo proof for that story?

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Feb 24 2014, 10:49 PM
Post #5
Daisy

Group Icon

[quote name='Candle' date='Oct 1 2009, 03:52 AM' post='193338']
I remember reading in one of James Haspiel's books that Marilyn tried to foil the press, who were swamping her after news of her impending marriage broke, by jumping into a taxi cab and having the taxi drive her only a couple blocks or so away where Arthur Miller was waiting for her in a car. Arthur then whisked her away to Roxbury in the car.

Marilyn- The Ultimate Look At The Legend by James Haspiel

June 24th 1956, turned out to be an incredible evening. The press was hounding Monroe and Arthur Miller, because by now the word was out that there was going to be a marriage.That night Miller was trying to get Monroe out of the city and up to the quietude of the Connecticut countryside. Miller was driving a station wagon, now parked in front of 2 Sutton Place South; it was packed with Monroe's luggage, and the Press were keenly watching the station wagon like hawks. Suddenly, Miller came out of the building alone, got into the vehicle and quickly sped away. The reporters and photographers really weren't interested in him solo, they were interested in her, in them! So, the station wagon disappeared over to the area at York Avenue and 61st Street, to sit there and wait for Monroe. A taxicab was summoned to the parking alcove at 2 Sutton Place South, the passenger door now open and awaiting its next fare. Not unlike a blur, Marilyn suddenly appeared through the front door and bolted into the taxicab with flashbulbs lighting her way, and the cab took off.

The Monroe Six were not around that evening, and I was hanging out with Nathan Puckett, who had come to New York City from Michigan to see Marilyn, and was the president of one of Monroe's many fan clubs. Nate offered to pay for a taxicab to follow Marilyn's cab, so we took off after her, and one of the press photographers also followed. I vividly recall that Marilyn's taxicab pulled up to the west side of York Avenue at 61st Street; the station wagon was parked on the east side of the avenue, and the avenue was then (and probably still is) paved with cobblestones. She got out of the cab, and she was running across the cobblestones in her very high heels, running through the oncoming traffic to reach the station wagon, with the lone press photographer in hot pursuit, and Nate and I sitting agog in our taxicab, some fifty feet away. Monroe raced around to the passenger side of the station wagon, Miller already gunning the motor, and as she reached for the door, the photographer got right up to her, put his hand on her shoulder and, with all his muscle, swung Monroe around and threw her hard up against the side of the station wagon! She almost fell to the ground as he raised his camera to take a picture of her. Miller got out of the car and, paying no attention whatsoever to the press photographer, he simply assisted Marilyn into the station wagon, got himself back behind the wheel, and they took off, speeding up York Avenue. And we took off too.

We drove through five red lights following the Miller vehicle, and finally at some point uptown, I think around 110th Street, the car entered into the East River Drive, to go on up to Connecticut! Our cab pulled over the curb and (remember, it was still 1956) the meter read 95 cents. Remember, too, that this driver had gone through five red lights for us, and now the young lad from Michigan, with no sign of city-savvy, handed him a single dollar bill, allowing, 'You can keep the change!' A nickel tip! As I recall, I hustled myself out and away from the taxicab in a hurry.
Attached File(s)
Attached File 1956_JUNE_24_SUTTON_PLACE_APT335_n.jpg ( 181.06K )Number of downloads: 63
Attached File 1956_JUNE_24_SUTTON_PLACE_APT336.jpg ( 200.77K )Number of downloads: 39
Attached File 1956v.jpg ( 104.87K )Number of downloads: 44
Attached File 1956_JUNE_24_SUTTON_PLACE_APT335_nh.jpg ( 33.31K )Number of downloads: 49
Attached File hh.jpg ( 103.09K )Number of downloads: 35

+Quote Post
linkeando
post Mar 1 2014, 03:53 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/thumbup1.gif) (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif) (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif)

Marilyn- The Ultimate Look At The Legend by James Haspiel.

This post has been edited by linkeando: Mar 1 2014, 03:54 PM

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Mar 26 2014, 03:32 AM
Post #7
Daisy

Group Icon

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/thumbup1.gif)
Attached File(s)
Attached File 94216003_o.jpg ( 133.08K )Number of downloads: 47

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Mar 16 2015, 03:32 PM
Post #8
Daisy

Group Icon

QUOTE(Joan Newman @ Mar 26 2014, 02:32 AM) *

Attached File(s)
Attached File iiiii.png ( 788.01K )Number of downloads: 6

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th November 2019 - 09:18 PM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.