Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Medal Of Freedom
Share |
Dano
post Mar 3 2009, 03:55 AM
Post #1
Norma Jeane wants to be a movie star

Group Icon

I've read on internet that Marilyn received the "Medal of Freedom" in 1952, it's true? I´m confussed, I've never heard of it before... (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

This post has been edited by Dano: Mar 4 2009, 02:27 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lorileime
post Mar 3 2009, 01:59 PM
Post #2
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I find it very intersting that she was awarded in 1952, before she really had a starring role or movie that became a well known Marilyn film and others like Charlton Heston and Lucy Ball and many other well known actors weren't awarded this medal until much, much later in life or even after they had passed away. I'd like to know the back-story about how she was nominated or chosen to receive the medal.

+Quote Post
meganmarilyn
post Mar 3 2009, 02:22 PM
Post #3
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Interesting. Here it is called the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Marilyn for 1952 is mentioned halfway thru page):

"This is a partial list of well-known recipients of the Presidential Medal of Freedom, grouped by the aspect of life in which they are/were renowned. The Presidential Medal of Freedom is awarded by the President of the United States "for especially meritorious contribution to the security or national interests of the United States, or world peace, or cultural or other significant public or private endeavors"; it is awarded to individuals selected by the President or recommended to him by the Distinguished Civilian Service Awards Board."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Presidential_Medal_of_Freedom_recipients

For Film:
Marilyn Monroe (1952)

I myself don't know how accurate that is. As said, this is before she was to become a big star.

This post has been edited by meganmarilyn: Mar 3 2009, 02:24 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File PresMedalFreedom.jpg ( 29.59K )Number of downloads: 22

+Quote Post
Alanma
post Mar 3 2009, 04:20 PM
Post #4
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I hate to say this, but I think it is another of the hoaxes which have plagued Wiki, due to its well-meaning but daft policy of allowing anyone at all to add or edit material.
I mentioned this in another thread. Poor Wiki is not reliable anymore.

Look at http://deletionpedia.dbatley.com/w/index.php?title=Main_Page

If this award had really been made, the Studio Publicity Department would have blasted the news all over every media for years after.

It's a lovely thought, just the same.

+Quote Post
meganmarilyn
post Mar 3 2009, 04:57 PM
Post #5
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(Alanma @ Mar 3 2009, 07:20 AM) *
I hate to say this, but I think it is another of the hoaxes which have plagued Wiki, due to its well-meaning but daft policy of allowing anyone at all to add or edit material.
I mentioned this in another thread. Poor Wiki is not reliable anymore.

Look at http://deletionpedia.dbatley.com/w/index.php?title=Main_Page

If this award had really been made, the Studio Publicity Department would have blasted the news all over every media for years after.

It's a lovely thought, just the same.

I agree. Adding Marilyn's name to the site, was just a way to get people to google her and find it. No Marilyn, no one would care. With Marilyn, the floodgates are open.

+Quote Post
Marilyn Fanatic
post Mar 4 2009, 02:25 AM
Post #6
Super admirer

Group Icon

I agree. If she ever was to receive that medal, it would be for singing to the troops in Korea. Even
then, I don't know if she would have been awarded the medal.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2019 - 04:01 AM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.