Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Marilyn: The Last Sessions
Share |
Nancy
post Feb 16 2009, 03:41 AM
Post #1
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I didn't know this was on, but I'm watching the last hour. It's based on John Miner's -in my opinion- imaginary Greenson tapes... so it's no doubt full of nonsense.
Has anyone seen it?

http://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/passionate...e/2009/marilyn/

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tara
post Feb 16 2009, 08:23 AM
Post #2
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

Oh dear, based on Miner? Did anyone see it?

+Quote Post
VanessaLapierre
post Feb 16 2009, 05:11 PM
Post #3
Vanessa Lapierre

Group Icon

Oh ! I have the channel but it's too late anyways. :(

+Quote Post
nicky62
post Feb 16 2009, 05:29 PM
Post #4
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Hopefully we get to see it on youtube sounds interesting
nicky62

+Quote Post
MMcamera
post Feb 16 2009, 08:08 PM
Post #5
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

Crap. Missed it.

+Quote Post
Nancy
post Feb 16 2009, 09:58 PM
Post #6
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Well, I didn't watch the full hour I tuned in on. It basically painted Marilyn as a weak, childish victim. That's been done to death. It was kind of disgusting me, so I had to turn it off.

But.. I'm still upset that I didn't know about this, I would have recorded it. I don't know when it will be aired again, but I will keep my eyes open.

+Quote Post
MarilynKissesxox...
post Feb 16 2009, 11:29 PM
Post #7
Marilyn nut

Group Icon

I watched it,the last hour.I tuned in around the filming of the misfits. It was interesting,so depresing though i was about to cry. It upsets me that she was never happy.

+Quote Post
Nancy
post Feb 16 2009, 11:37 PM
Post #8
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(MarilynKissesxoxo @ Feb 16 2009, 05:29 PM) *
I watched it,the last hour.I tuned in around the filming of the misfits. It was interesting,so depresing though i was about to cry. It upsets me that she was never happy.

That's the thing, I think they exaggerated her unhappiness. We all know this period of her life was tumultuous and that she was suffering from drug addiction and battling personal demons, but... they make it sound as if she could barely function at all. If that were the case, The Misfits would never have been completed, let alone have provided us with one of Marilyn's finest performances.

+Quote Post
MarilynKissesxox...
post Feb 17 2009, 12:59 AM
Post #9
Marilyn nut

Group Icon

QUOTE(jemaniac @ Feb 16 2009, 05:37 PM) *
That's the thing, I think they exaggerated her unhappiness. We all know this period of her life was tumultuous and that she was suffering from drug addiction and battling personal demons, but... they make it sound as if she could barely function at all. If that were the case, The Misfits would never have been completed, let alone have provided us with one of Marilyn's finest performances.

i agree, i sat there and said to my mom, this is so depressing, I just don't think she could of been that unhappy.

+Quote Post
VanessaLapierre
post Feb 18 2009, 02:03 AM
Post #10
Vanessa Lapierre

Group Icon

I agree, Marilyn wasn't always unhappy. Like when she was around children she was feeling well, you can see her eyes shinning. <3

+Quote Post
Tara
post Feb 18 2009, 09:47 AM
Post #11
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

I think sometimes people fail to acknowledge all that Marilyn achieved, despite the very real problems she faced. She was a remarkable woman, and the tragedy of her fate does not diminish that. Marilyn had a gift for finding joy in life and sharing it with others. It's just so wrong that some people used her for their own ends.

+Quote Post
magda24
post Feb 18 2009, 12:13 PM
Post #12
The light descends from nowhere

Group Icon

I saw it. It's based on Marilyn : Dernières séances by Michel Schneider. It's a bit fictionalised book focusing on Marilyn's relationship with Greenson. I think Schneider widely based his book on Miner's. I wasn't impressed with neither book or documentary.

+Quote Post
Tara
post Feb 18 2009, 02:03 PM
Post #13
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

QUOTE(magda24 @ Feb 18 2009, 11:13 AM) *
I saw it. It's based on Marilyn : Dernières séances by Michel Schneider. It's a bit fictionalised book focusing on Marilyn's relationship with Greenson. I think Schneider widely based his book on Miner's. I wasn't impressed with neither book or documentary.

Thanks Magda, sounds like the same old, same old...

+Quote Post
MarilynKissesxox...
post Feb 18 2009, 09:18 PM
Post #14
Marilyn nut

Group Icon

People focus way too much on her personal life and when she was unhappy. Everybody is unhappy some point in their life. I just wish people payed more attention to her career instead.

+Quote Post
nicky62
post Mar 9 2009, 11:51 PM
Post #15
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I downloaded the Spanish version havent seen it as soon as I can I will kick my point of view
Nicky62

+Quote Post
Eva
post Jun 16 2009, 12:17 PM
Post #16
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

I have only seen a small preview of it as i'm in the UK, it looks interesting does anyone know if this will be shown on British TV soon.

+Quote Post
Paju
post Nov 28 2009, 05:01 PM
Post #17
♥ Appleblossom ♥

Group Icon

They're showing it tonight here in Finland, channel Yle Teema. They're having a Marilyn themed evening. First there's this documentary, and then Some Like It Hot (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

+Quote Post
Eva
post Nov 28 2009, 09:07 PM
Post #18
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

QUOTE(Paju @ Nov 28 2009, 04:01 PM) *
They're showing it tonight here in Finland, channel Yle Teema. They're having a Marilyn themed evening. First there's this documentary, and then Some Like It Hot (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

Sounds great Paju'' i would love to be there with you. (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/throb.gif)

Will this Documentary be shown in the uk.

+Quote Post
Paju
post Nov 29 2009, 11:41 AM
Post #19
♥ Appleblossom ♥

Group Icon

I didn't expect much of this documentary based on what I had read here, so I was actually plesantly surprised. It's definitely not the ultimate Marilyn documentary and yes, there's Miner and psychoanalysis and Kennedys and whatever, but still I ended up liking it.

What I didn't like about it: concentrating on Marilyn's unhappiness, John Miner and the Greenson tapes (which were playing in the background but I could only hear a couple of sentences), Kennedy talk

What I liked about it: the whole visual style, lots of video clips of Marilyn, pictures that weren't the same old same old, the fact that it wasn't just another "talking heads" kind of documentary - there was a French speaking narrator and that's it, video clips of Los Angeles and New York, the fact that they didn't claim that this is the ultimate truth on Marilyn's death.

+Quote Post
Margherita
post Nov 29 2009, 09:34 PM
Post #20
Ultimate fan

Group Icon

I also live in Finland and watched the doc yesterday, and it does contain some beautiful rare footages, I've never seen - but on the whole, for my part, I was quite disappointed -

Few things, the documentary was labeled: Marilyn's last session; but instead it went all the way from her childhood, through adolescence, marriages and all.

It irritated me that when the narrator spoke for instance of incidents happening in early sixties the film clicks mostly showed her from early -50's! So as she would have looked allways the same, while her outlooks changed enourmously through the years...

There was her voice in the background, but it couldn't be a recording from any Greenson-session, as Miner didn't get himself those recordings (alleged recordings) but made notes (allegedly - or then didn't make...), I think her voice all the time in the background was instead from the recording that was made at her home during the last summer, or what ?

----

Yes, it showed Marilyn as quite a hopeless figure, and her most beautiful photos and pieces of her films that could have been used, were excluded - of course there was something, from SLIH, Misfits, something in New York.

The documentary also contained bad mistakes in facts - like it said, that when DeDienes photographed Norma Jeane on the beach and she still had her darkish golden brown hair about mid -40's or so, THAT was the time when she draw the name Marilyn Monroe in the sand - and it wasn't that way!
The whole document was quite full of these small mistakes. Why couldn't they check out things better?

There was also something like: Her mother didn't seem to love her at all, was allways cold and unkind - I don't think that's true, where did they invent this?

And the document told us that Marilyn contacted L. Olivier to give her "lessons in Shakespeare-acting". And, the footage linked with that was of course from TPATSG, when M was so traumatized after the filming with Olivier..

And, oh, I must add an edit: This doc shows the good old Arlene Hunter-naked film (part of it) as "possibly Marilyn's earliest film role" (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/surrender.gif) - So at that point I also considered turning the tv off...

This post has been edited by Ultraviolet: Nov 29 2009, 09:47 PM

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2021 - 08:31 AM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.