Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Academy Award
Share |
Bobby
post Dec 21 2008, 10:13 PM
Post #1
That smile...

Group Icon

As we know, sadly Marilyn never received an Academy Award nomination. But - and try your best to be objective here! - do you think she deserved at least to be nominated? If so, which performance/s do you think warranted a nomination?

Personally, I think Marilyn deserved a nomination (and probably to win the award) for her portrayal of Elsie Marina in 'The Prince and the Showgirl'. I also think she could - not should - have been nominated for 'Niagara' and 'The Misfits'.

What do you think?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alanma
post Dec 21 2008, 10:33 PM
Post #2
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Marilyn won the 'Donatello Award' for TPATSG .

Some say that award is more worthy of respect than the Oscar of Hollywood.

+Quote Post
Mezzo
post Dec 21 2008, 10:56 PM
Post #3
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I believe it was well-deserved, Alan.

I think that her work in "Bus Stop" was worthy of an Oscar, even with the cut of her soliloquy. It is almost excrutiating for me to listen to her deliberate, sad, off-key singing. As a singer, I know how difficult that is when you have had some training. This, along with her pathos and the obvious work that went into her portrayal of Cherie, make this role a stand-out for me. Truthfully, I haven't seen Ingrid Bergman in Anastasia, so I can't judge for myself if she did a better job in her role, but I think Marilyn's work was exemplary that year.

+Quote Post
Alanma
post Dec 21 2008, 11:28 PM
Post #4
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

There is a bit of a bad smell around Marilyn never appearing for an Oscar. That smell suggests Studio politics. I can just imagine some influential Hollywood bigwig waving his cigar and muttering 'not while I'm alive she won't' as he crumples her nomination into the bin.
Mind you, what Charlie Chaplin said about Marilyn in his acceptance speech for his 'Lifetime Achievement' award in Italy [?], meant far more than an Oscar; that in his opinion, Marilyn was the greatest-ever female clown.

+Quote Post
abeautifulchild
post Dec 22 2008, 12:45 AM
Post #5
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I honestly think that Marilyn deserved at least a nomination for 'The Prince and The Showgirl' and she definitely deserved an Oscar for her work in 'Bus Stop.' In TPATSG she gave an incredibly versatile performance, but in 'Bus Stop' she was an ultimate actress. Her performance was flawless as Cherie, she did everything to make Cherie real. I think she deserved a nomination for 'The Misfits,' because she was doing something new, and she was good, very good. But don't hate me, I don't think her performance as 'Roslyn' was her greatest (although this is my favorite Marilyn film). I believe that during the shooting she was very troubled, and the role was incredibly hard for her to play. She was lovely, but I think she was at her best in 'Bus Stop.'

+Quote Post
ziggy
post Dec 22 2008, 01:33 AM
Post #6
Mr. Queen Bee

Group Icon

QUOTE(Alanma @ Dec 22 2008, 12:28 AM) *
Charlie Chaplin said about Marilyn in his acceptance speech for his 'Lifetime Achievement' award in Italy [?], meant far more than an Oscar; that in his opinion, Marilyn was the greatest-ever female clown.

You mean his Lifetime Oscar acceptance speech, or some other lifetime award?

Weren't comedic performances tragically overlooked by the Academy, she could easily have been nodded for the likes of GPB and TPATSG.

Even if it weren't for that, Bus Stop, Some Like It Hot and The Misfits wouldn't have been far off. Cherie was Oscar material all the way. I can't see the reason for snubbing her being anything other than Hollywood's prejudiced mentality.

+Quote Post
mmmMarilyn
post Dec 22 2008, 02:11 AM
Post #7
A Girl, but not THE Girl

Group Icon

Supporting actress in Clash By Night, anybody?
I know I blab and blab on here about how that is one of my favorite Marilyn performances, but I think she was spectacular and at least deserved a nomination in recognition of a job well done, especially relatively early in her career!

I also agree with everybody else--Bus Stop, hands down should have been a win, and The Prince and The Showgirl--I watched that again recently and was blown away.

+Quote Post
lorileime
post Dec 24 2008, 04:16 AM
Post #8
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Yes, I agree with TPATSG but I have to admit that Hollywood would never give an Oscar to a comedic performance. I think that GPB and SLIH could have warranted a nomination and I loved her performance in Bus Stop and Misfits. They were both Oscar worthy. Even SYI may have had more weight if comdies were considered as real acting.

+Quote Post
princesshapnick
post Dec 24 2008, 02:55 PM
Post #9
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I think she should have been nominated for Bus Stop, Some Like It Hot and The Prince and the Showgirl. I think these films carry some of her very best performances and all three films include comedic and dramatic acting. But then, I think Marilyn was capable of winning an Oscar for all of her 'big-part' films!

+Quote Post
Tara
post Dec 24 2008, 03:16 PM
Post #10
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

QUOTE(Alanma @ Dec 21 2008, 10:28 PM) *
Mind you, what Charlie Chaplin said about Marilyn in his acceptance speech for his 'Lifetime Achievement' award in Italy [?], meant far more than an Oscar; that in his opinion, Marilyn was the greatest-ever female clown.

Praise indeed, coming from the great Charlie Chaplin. Quite right too. I think Marilyn deserved a Best Actress Oscar for Bus Stop, Best Supporting Actress for Some Like It Hot. The Misfits should have been nominated. In fact I agree with everyone's choices, because Marilyn was a wonderful actress who, for all her fame, didn't always get the respect she deserved - and still doesn't, IMO.

+Quote Post
ziggy
post Dec 25 2008, 02:52 AM
Post #11
Mr. Queen Bee

Group Icon

QUOTE(Tara @ Dec 24 2008, 04:16 PM) *
Marilyn deserved Best Supporting Actress for Some Like It Hot.

Interesting point. I've never thought of Sugar as a supporting character, even though Jerry and Joe are ultimately the focus of the story.

+Quote Post
nicky62
post Dec 25 2008, 05:21 AM
Post #12
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Well I think that she even deserved a posthumus Oscar for her career !
Aside from that ( these are my personal favorites )
I would give her an Oscar for :
Cherie in Bus Stop Best Actress in Comedy
The girl in SYI
Elsie Marina In TPATSG Best Actress in Comedy
Sugar Kane in SLIH Best Actress in Comedy
Roslyn Tabor Misfits Best Actress in a Drama
Lorelei Lee GPB and Pola Debevois in HTMAM both for Musical / Comedy
its Sad that many of the Great's of yesterday never got one !
Chaplin , Garbo , Harlow , Lucy , Jane russell , Jayne Mansfield , Judy Garland and the cruel thing is that when you mention Hollywood, all that comes up in a conversation is Marilyn Monroe ! But there have been many times that her name pops up when wanting to grant a posthumus Oscar then again she is just washed away . I hate the Hollywood system and like many I have compared the winners to Monroe's performance and ugh not many would have passed my eye !
oooops guess I got carried away jejjejeje anyway Merry Xmas all
Nicky62 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/banana.gif)

This post has been edited by nicky62: Dec 25 2008, 05:23 AM

+Quote Post
Alanma
post Dec 27 2008, 07:49 PM
Post #13
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

If Hollywood Oscars are not, either by design or custom, not awarded for Comedy, may be there is room for a Monroe Award, for the Best Comedy Actress?

+Quote Post
Mezzo
post Dec 27 2008, 08:41 PM
Post #14
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Well, they could certainly create a beautiful statue. Maybe in crystal?

+Quote Post
ziggy
post Dec 28 2008, 07:34 AM
Post #15
Mr. Queen Bee

Group Icon

QUOTE(Alanma @ Dec 27 2008, 08:49 PM) *
If Hollywood Oscars are not, either by design or custom, not awarded for Comedy, may be there is room for a Monroe Award, for the Best Comedy Actress?

They are occasionally handed for comedy, but it's always a long-shot.

So where did Chaplin say what he said?

+Quote Post
lorileime
post Dec 28 2008, 07:53 PM
Post #16
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(Alanma @ Dec 27 2008, 01:49 PM) *

I think Lucy would get it first and then Carol Burnett. And, I have the feeling that Marilyn would probably prefer not to get a comedy award. She tried too hard to be taken seriously. If she had gotten an Oscar for a dramatic role and then another or a nomination for a comedic role, it probably would have sat better with her. Just my opinion.

+Quote Post
Nancy
post Dec 28 2008, 07:57 PM
Post #17
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(lorileime @ Dec 28 2008, 01:53 PM) *
I think Lucy would get it first and then Carol Burnett. And, I have the feeling that Marilyn would probably prefer not to get a comedy award. She tried too hard to be taken seriously. If she had gotten an Oscar for a dramatic role and then another or a nomination for a comedic role, it probably would have sat better with her. Just my opinion.

Lucy and Carol Burnett are more known for their television work though.

+Quote Post
eire
post Dec 28 2008, 08:42 PM
Post #18
Super admirer

Group Icon

I think with SLIH, she should've gotten a nomination, although I believe she should've won it too. I doubt they would've nominated as best actress from SLIH (although I too think Sugar was a main character) but definately best supporting actress at least.

I think she should've been nominated for Bus Stop as Best Actress. It's a shame comedy isn't taken as seriously as some drama performances. Some actresses of her time I think their drama acting was totally melodramatic! And yet somehow they've won but Marilyn wasn't even nomiated. I think an actors peers pick the nominess, don't they? And they never voted for Marilyn. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/no.gif)

I hope someday they award her with an honorary Oscar like they've given to others.

+Quote Post
Alanma
post Dec 28 2008, 08:54 PM
Post #19
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(ziggy @ Dec 28 2008, 06:34 AM) *
They are occasionally handed for comedy, but it's always a long-shot.

So where did Chaplin say what he said?

It was either in France or in Italy.
This came up a while ago, and someone posted up chapter and verse , but I cant remember what it was.
Sorry.

+Quote Post
ziggy
post Dec 28 2008, 10:03 PM
Post #20
Mr. Queen Bee

Group Icon

^Oh, ok. I'd be really interested in knowing where and when it was and what he said. Google knows nothing about it. Are you sure it actually happened?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2020 - 12:46 PM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.