Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Maria Schell As Grushenka
Share |
lorileime
post Jul 28 2008, 09:00 PM
Post #1
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I just got another Life Magazine with a story that mentions Marilyn. It's about German actress Maria Schell playing the part of Grushenka opposite Yul Bryner. The copy reads: "This winter [Maria] will burst on U.S. audiences in one of the year's most important films and in a role which is considered the biggest acting plum in Hollywood--Marilyn Monroe was supposed to take the part and Caroll Baker urgently wanted it. Maria will play earthy Grushenka in Dostoevski's The Brothers Karamazov." I thought that Marilyn wanted the role but was refused it. Do you think that the studio told Life that to get back at Marilyn for starting MM Prods. and going to England?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tara
post Jul 29 2008, 07:06 AM
Post #2
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

It was already well-known that Marilyn wanted to play Grushenka, she had expressed her interest in interviews since 1951 or '52. The idea first came to her when she was with Johnny Hyde - MGM were planning the film as early as 1950, and Johnny thought she would be perfect as Grushenka. Those who have read the book might agree, because Grushenka is a vivacious, passionate young woman who sacrifices everything to defend the man she loves. However a lot of people, who had probably never read it, thought it laughable that a fluffy blonde like Marilyn could act convincingly in a heavy Russian drama. In fact there was a joke at an Oscar ceremony in the early 50s - 'Marilyn couldn't make it tonight, she's in bed with the Brothers Karamazov.'

+Quote Post
meztisa
post Jul 29 2008, 07:21 AM
Post #3
team marilyn

Group Icon

Ouch. It frustrates me to see how blindsighted Hollywood could be.

+Quote Post
lorileime
post Jul 29 2008, 12:30 PM
Post #4
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Just imagine Marilyn getting that part as early as 1950. It would have changed the rest of her career and probably would have resulted in a nomination for an Oscar, too. That gives me an idea for another topic. I'll list it separately.

+Quote Post
LostHurlyFan
post Jul 29 2008, 01:32 PM
Post #5
Marilyn Fan Forever

Group Icon

It is just so sad how Hollywood treated her. They were so stupid back then they didn't know what they had in reguards to what A great actress Marilyn was. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/crybaby.gif)

+Quote Post
Margherita
post Jul 31 2008, 07:08 PM
Post #6
Ultimate fan

Group Icon

I've seen a russian version of "The Brothers Karamazov" in finnish tv years ago, it was a black and white film, I think from the 60's or 70's, I don't remember the director nor who was playing Grushenka, but anyway, I remember when I saw it I thought: "Such a beautiful blonde actress; and she was sad, her character, that's where the name comes from; resembled quite a lot Marilyn, allthough I don't remember either did I think so then. But I recall her appearance was quite close to that kind of Marilyn you see in some M.Greene's pictures, with M. having a long skirt and an old-fashioned blouse, in a set of a western town.
This russian Grushenka had a long hair though, tied in a knot at the neck; a total Blonde, not just fair. I think it says in the book that Grushenka was a blonde and really sexy (allthough Dostojevski didn't of course use that word, but that was the idea).

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post May 17 2020, 12:20 AM
Post #7
Daisy

Group Icon

I didn't want to start a new thread since we have several Grushenka threads already. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbup1.gif)

Improvising Out Loud: My Life Teaching Hollywood How to Act
By Jeff Corey

"After completing Only the valiant, Terry (Kilburn), was asked to direct Philip and Julius Epstein's dramatization of The Brothers Karamazov at the Players' Ring Theater in Hollywood.
Terry was having trouble casting the female role of Grushenka. He asked me if I would help him by improvising with actors during their auditions.
The last applicant for the role was Marilyn Monroe. She was a timorous young woman who spoke in s semi whisper. She seemed both eager and apologetic.
In a breathy voice she asked, "Can I take my shoes of ?" Terry and I assented, and she walked to a corner of the stage and kicked off her heels.
Terry explained the scene to be improvised, and she and I began to work. She was inquisitive but very tentative and uncertain.
We kept reworking the scene until a bit of courage started to surface as she slowly began to take charge of the role. For reasons unknown to me,
the dramatization of The Brothers Karamazov was abandoned. "

Jeff Corey (1914-2002) made a name for himself in the 1940s as a character actor in films like Superman and the Mole Men (1951), Joan of Arc (1948), and The Killers (1946). Everything changed in 1951, when he was summoned before the House Un-American Activities Committee. Corey refused to name names and was promptly blacklisted, which forced him to walk away from a vibrant livelihood as an actor and embark on a career as one of the industry's most revered acting instructors. He
became a well-respected acting teacher after being blacklisted in the 1950s.
Attached File(s)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2020 - 07:07 AM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.