Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nico & Marilyn
Share |
Cello
post Jun 17 2008, 12:35 AM
Post #1
I just want to be wonderful.

Group Icon

Did you know that Nico was in Marilyn's acting class at the actors studio!?
That is so cool! I love NICO. She said so in a clip from a documentary about her called NICO ICON. SHe was like "marilyn monroe was in my class. I was so excited." awww Nico is not known to say things like this, I think.

You can actually see the full documentary on Google video. Here's the link: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=18...gOpTiqgKny_3VDA

Who else was in her acting class?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nancy
post Jun 17 2008, 01:43 AM
Post #2
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I feel silly, but I don't know who Nico is... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blush.gif)

+Quote Post
abeautifulchild
post Jun 17 2008, 04:52 AM
Post #3
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

WOW, REALLY?!!!

Interesting, thanks for the info!!!

Nancy, I assume she is talking about the Nico who sang with Andy Warhol's sponsored band, The Velvet Underground.

+Quote Post
Tara
post Jun 17 2008, 08:53 AM
Post #4
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

I'm a huge fan of Nico, and I love it that she was so starstruck by Marilyn.

Here she is singing some of her most famous songs with the Velvet Underground:

I'll Be Your Mirror
Femme Fatale
All Tomorrow's Parties

+Quote Post
Cello
post Jun 17 2008, 09:10 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Nico, is amazing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Her voice is so haunting.

This interested me so much because she seems interested in so few people. Jim Morrison was one, and Lour Reed was another. Very few people.. so when I heard her talking about how excited she was to be in the same class as Marilyn I was just like... awww sweet!

I wonder if they ever spoke. I have a feeling that Marilyn didn't go up to stranger (esp. women) often because a lot of them were mean/jealous towards her and hurt her for it.

I think Marilyn would have found Nico very interesting since she was in NYC partly to join in on the artsy crowd.

But also, if she ever got too close to Nico something bad would have come from it to: HEAVY DRUGS
Nico was heavy into heroine... and I just can't imagine Marilyn getting into it.. well I mean, I don't want to. Imagingin her on pills is enough.

But ..before I get too carried away (lol) I think for social purposes Nico & Marilyn could have gotten along pretty well.

+Quote Post
Tara
post Jun 17 2008, 09:19 PM
Post #6
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

I think they were both shy in different ways. I can imagine Nico quietly watching the other actors, like Marilyn did.

+Quote Post
magda24
post Jun 17 2008, 09:27 PM
Post #7
The light descends from nowhere

Group Icon

QUOTE(Tara @ Jun 17 2008, 10:19 PM) *
I think they were both shy in different ways. I can imagine Nico quietly watching the other actors, like Marilyn did.

Exactly!Funny but though they lived at the same time, I find Nico a creature from the next, post hippie, more sinister era of late 60's and eraly 70's.Marilyn represents innocence while Nico is all about dark things- they just seem so different!I wonder if they ever spoke but I doubt- Nico would have mentioned it and I'm sure even if Actors Studio was about being equal etc I don't think everybody had guts to approach such a huge star as Marilyn (and Lee's favourite pupil)

+Quote Post
Cello
post Jun 17 2008, 10:19 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

^^ yes, but Nico was famous long before she met Warhol. She was a model (in VOGUE!) and actress (in a Jean-Luc Godard film!)

+Quote Post
Tara
post Jun 17 2008, 10:35 PM
Post #9
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

Nico reminds me of Greta Garbo. I agree she is different to Marilyn as dark is to light, but also iconic in her own way.

+Quote Post
magda24
post Jun 17 2008, 10:38 PM
Post #10
The light descends from nowhere

Group Icon

QUOTE(Cello @ Jun 17 2008, 11:19 PM) *
^^ yes, but Nico was famous long before she met Warhol. She was a model (in VOGUE!) and actress (in a Jean-Luc Godard film!)

I know but it was still elitist, exclusive sort of fame, while Marilyn was...well, everywhere!I must say i love Nico and I hated the way she was portrayed in Oliver Stone's The Doors

+Quote Post
MisterPinkNoTip
post Jul 1 2008, 04:57 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

This is so interesting. I love Nico.

+Quote Post
ziggy
post Aug 22 2008, 11:09 AM
Post #12
Mr. Queen Bee

Group Icon

Huge Nico fan here as well.

I'd take her recollection of sharing acting classes with MM with a bowl of salt, though. Nico was a compulsive liar and was known to make up stories of the most vivid nature.

+Quote Post
Tara
post Aug 22 2008, 07:21 PM
Post #13
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

I was just thinking of Nico while readng the 'second diva' thread. I really adore her voice and the sheer strangeness of her music, especially as a solo artist. She was a junkie for most of her later life, sadly, but I admire her fierce individuality and the way she stayed true to her art, not caring if she was a commercial success.

Years ago I read a book by a musician in her band on one of her last tours. It is both hilarious and sad, and very rock 'n' roll. Definitely one of the best books I've read on the music business. It's called 'Songs They Never Play On The Radio: Nico, The Last Bohemian' by James Young.

+Quote Post
2Twinkle
post Aug 23 2008, 12:21 AM
Post #14
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

23 magazine clippings of Nico from 1958-59 went for $119-50 on ebay in May. (Pictures have gone)

I saw her three times in concert in London. The first time was at the Music Machine, where she was supporting The Adverts (The Killjoys also on the bill - lead singer Kevin Rowland). Some of the crowd threw things at her and she left the stage not too long after. The second time at Brixton Academy there were just a few hundred people in a venue that held maybe 2,000-3,000. The third time at Kentish Town, she seemed quite happy as if she'd resolved any problems in her life.

Then she fell off a bicycle and died.

+Quote Post
ziggy
post Aug 23 2008, 01:38 PM
Post #15
Mr. Queen Bee

Group Icon

QUOTE(Tara @ Aug 22 2008, 07:21 PM) *
Years ago I read a book by a musician in her band on one of her last tours. It is both hilarious and sad, and very rock 'n' roll. Definitely one of the best books I've read on the music business. It's called 'Songs They Never Play On The Radio: Nico, The Last Bohemian' by James Young.

I love that book.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th August 2019 - 05:35 AM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.