Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Don't Bother To Knock
Share |
Mariposa
post Feb 25 2016, 11:13 AM
Post #41
Marilyn nut

Group Icon

QUOTE(KingAl @ Oct 7 2015, 04:47 PM) *
Ilike almost everything about this movie. The first time I watched it I wasn't much fascinated but when I watched it later i started to love it. Her performance (I must mention the exception of her "artificial" movement of the lips! It would be much better without it for this role ), the music is good, the scenery the story...

I started to watch my DVD of this (will continue) it's been a while since I've watched it. Marilyn's acting ability is already there in this early film, and in other early films. I'm always mystified about the 'dumb blonde' aspect and wanting to be a real actress later - in my book she already WAS a good actress.

I wonder really if she was stamped as the 'dumb blonde' after Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and How to Marry a Millionaire and even Seven Year Itch- the first two not favourites of mine.

I've recently read Laurence Olivier's comments about Marilyn and even Lee Strasberg that M wasn't a trained actress. Seem to remember she had acting lessons in LA separately and also through the film studios - in fact I think she even acted on stage a few times in those early days.

I suppose she was type cast at a point and had to get away from that.

Anyway - I think M is really good in Don't Bother To Knock.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
meganmarilyn
post Feb 25 2016, 02:14 PM
Post #42
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(Mariposa @ Feb 25 2016, 02:13 AM) *
I started to watch my DVD of this (will continue) it's been a while since I've watched it. Marilyn's acting ability is already there in this early film, and in other early films. I'm always mystified about the 'dumb blonde' aspect and wanting to be a real actress later - in my book she already WAS a good actress.

I wonder really if she was stamped as the 'dumb blonde' after Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and How to Marry a Millionaire and even Seven Year Itch- the first two not favourites of mine.

I've recently read Laurence Olivier's comments about Marilyn and even Lee Strasberg that M wasn't a trained actress. Seem to remember she had acting lessons in LA separately and also through the film studios - in fact I think she even acted on stage a few times in those early days.

I suppose she was type cast at a point and had to get away from that.

Anyway - I think M is really good in Don't Bother To Knock.

Marilyn wanted to do more dramatic roles than the ones Fox typecasted her in. Silly comedies, with her sexy Monroe persona highlighted. Reason she left Fox and got married in 1954, and later moved in the Greens in 1955.

This post has been edited by meganmarilyn: Feb 25 2016, 02:15 PM

+Quote Post
Mariposa
post Feb 25 2016, 03:51 PM
Post #43
Marilyn nut

Group Icon

QUOTE(meganmarilyn @ Feb 25 2016, 03:14 PM) *
Marilyn wanted to do more dramatic roles than the ones Fox typecasted her in. Silly comedies, with her sexy Monroe persona highlighted. Reason she left Fox and got married in 1954, and later moved in the Greens in 1955.

Yes, Fox had a money making formula with M in her 'dumb blonde' roles smothering the artist she was within - poor M - everything such a struggle for her

Interesting - have just been watching an old BBC tv documentary about film directors - George Cukor said that Marilyn was intelligent and a talented actress and didn't need all the training she later got. He said acting education had its place but Marilyn was already ok. -which is what I said.

And was it Billy Wilder? who said of M: before all the psychoanalysis and training from the actor's studio she was like a tight rope walker who didn't know the ground was there and maybe she would fall or fail but afterwards she knew - same when acting in her films. If you think of all the films she made in quick succession at the beginning of her career, but not many at the end - he has a point.

+Quote Post
bruno
post Jan 4 2018, 11:35 PM
Post #44
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

It seems a Blu-ray version is on its way...(for March 20th) :
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dont-Bother-...Blu-ray/156685/

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th January 2018 - 06:51 AM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.