Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Don't Bother To Knock
Share |
Nancy
post Nov 4 2008, 11:34 PM
Post #21
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I just love DBTK. It makes me sad though... because I wish Marilyn had been given more roles like Nell. She was never given the chance to show her full range as an actress. I mean, she's so convincing in this film, and it's very early in her career... just think what she could have done a few years later.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Vicoria Hoffman ...
post May 31 2009, 08:33 PM
Post #22
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

I'm just watching this right now. I just wondered, does anyone else find Uncle Eddie a bit creepy at times? When he came in and caught her trying on Mrs Jones outfit and said something about "If I had some girl like you". Was it supposed to be a 'figure of speech' or something else? It never mentions whether he is her uncle by blood or marriage but Nell seems like she has had problems with her parents (folks) as well.

What does everyone else think?

+Quote Post
Bobby
post Jun 3 2009, 05:43 PM
Post #23
That smile...

Group Icon

QUOTE(Vicoria Hoffman 1975 @ May 31 2009, 08:33 PM) *
I'm just watching this right now. I just wondered, does anyone else find Uncle Eddie a bit creepy at times? When he came in and caught her trying on Mrs Jones outfit and said something about "If I had some girl like you". Was it supposed to be a 'figure of speech' or something else? It never mentions whether he is her uncle by blood or marriage but Nell seems like she has had problems with her parents (folks) as well.

I never considered that Eddie might not be Nell's real Uncle. Interesting. I always saw Eddie as a family member who wants - and is trying - to help his niece but Nell's problems are too deep for him to deal with, just as they were for her parents. He's out of his depth but he does want the best for poor Nell. I can see where you're coming from but it's not something I've noticed previously.

+Quote Post
Scottish Sugar
post Jun 3 2009, 08:30 PM
Post #24
Scotland's Marilyn Fanatic!

Group Icon

No again, I just think Uncle Eddie is meant to be another 'good guy' in the film, just looking out for Nell, I think the general idea is that Nell is meant to be the most derranged in the film, having another sinister character in the movie might take away from that.
Who knows though!

xxx

This post has been edited by Scottish Sugar: Jun 3 2009, 08:35 PM

+Quote Post
Tara
post Jun 3 2009, 08:57 PM
Post #25
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

QUOTE(Vicoria Hoffman 1975 @ May 31 2009, 08:33 PM) *

Actually I find Eddie a bit unlikable too. Mostly in the way he is always criticising Nell and putting her down, though his intentions may be genuine and good. People tended to look on mental illness as shameful at that time. And he must have known that she was not suited to caring for anyone else - seemed almost like he set her up so that she'd be taken back to hospital. Watching it again the other day and I also noticed what she said about her family and upbringing - she became upset every time she mentioned them, seemed like she had been mistreated in some way. It brought out another dimension to her character, and kind of explained her coldness towards the little girl. Maybe she was re-enacting what was done to her as a child. I'm sure there were quite a few women like Nell who lost their sweethearts during the war and never recovered, and were constantly misunderstood by others. That's what makes her relationship with Jed so moving, he starts off viewing her in a cynical way but ends up being kinder. There's much more to her story than meets the eye. And I think Marilyn's final scene is among the best work of her career, no wonder Anne Bancroft enjoyed acting with her so much.

+Quote Post
abeautifulchild
post Jun 4 2009, 04:48 AM
Post #26
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I agree with you Tara RE: Eddie, but I also feel that his character appears to be a bit under-developed in the first place. :/

+Quote Post
Tara
post Jun 4 2009, 11:48 AM
Post #27
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

QUOTE(abeautifulchild @ Jun 4 2009, 04:48 AM) *
I agree with you Tara RE: Eddie, but I also feel that his character appears to be a bit under-developed in the first place. :/

That's true, in fact I think the film as a whole could have been better if the studio had taken more time over it. I like it a lot and some of the acting is great, but it still has that B-movie feel. A wonderful role for for Marilyn though.

+Quote Post
Sweet Charity
post Nov 2 2009, 12:31 PM
Post #28
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

I love this movie and I think Marilyn did a great work here, she played very well Nell, this fragile and disturbed girl and she and Widmark were a beautiful couple. It's a shame that this movie isn't so known, it's a shame that Marilyn is remembered for other kind of characters.

+Quote Post
NormaJeanLove.
post Nov 2 2009, 07:13 PM
Post #29
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

^ I know I love this movie so much, Its a really dark movie for marilyn, i mean compaired to her other work, whenever i tell people to watch a marilyn movie i always say, please get dont bother to knock, and see how great of a actress she was in this film, and i think she should have gotten more roles like these. its really more serious, and she could do it. i really like this movie!

+Quote Post
audreyfan1
post Nov 2 2009, 10:52 PM
Post #30
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

^Me too. Over the summer one of my friends actually asked if I would watch a Marilyn movie with him. I think he was just sick of me constantly talking about Marilyn when he really doesn't know who she is. And I showed him all of my Marilyn dvds and explained what each movie was about and told him to pick the one he wanted to watch. He was torn between DBTK and Niagara, so I told him to watch DBTK and he LOVED it!! Now he wants to watch some more of Marilyn's movies. He was really blown away by her talent. He actually told me after we watched it that he was very surprised at how good she is in this movie because he was under the impresison that Marilyn was a horrible actress. I'm so happy I changed his mind (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

+Quote Post
NormaJeanLove.
post Nov 4 2009, 06:01 AM
Post #31
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

He should definately see niagara next, keep with the deeper stuff first, hehe. thats a good way to get people in, because everyone only thinks she did dumb blonde ditzy roles, and its just not true. she did have a great talent, and would have continued this, if she did not pass away.

+Quote Post
lorileime
post May 23 2011, 07:28 PM
Post #32
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Go to YouTube and check out the opening scores for the movies Don't Bother to Knock and Panic in the Streets. They are both easy to look up, just type in the titles. Sound Familiar? Oops, I can't believe this. I just went to try it so I could add the URL and it's gone. Since just yesterday, YouTube removed it. But, the point is, the opening music for both of these movies is exactly the same score. Panic was done in 1950, two years before Knock and in the first movie the credit for score went to Alfred Newman and in the second, Lionel Newman. Does anyone have any info as to why they would do that? Try this http://blip.tv/retrovision-theater/retrovi...ts-1950-2358091 for one of them. Here's the other one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NX__HFE6V4

This post has been edited by lorileime: May 23 2011, 07:41 PM

+Quote Post
lorileime
post Jun 24 2011, 12:08 PM
Post #33
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I am in the middle of reading the original story for Don't Bother. A story called Mischief, written in 1948. The plot is different from the movie and the character of Nell is a very wicked girl who used a lot of profanity. Jed and Lyn are together but in the book, they go out to a restaurant for dinner and have a fight. She leaves him at the restaurant and he goes back to the hotel where he spots Nell across the court. Nell is staying with Eddie and his wife Marie. She is from Indiana, not Oregon, and she is there because her house burned down and her parents were killed, not because her boyfriend died in a plane crash. So far it has not been revealed if she ever tried to kill herself. I am at the part now where the older lady who lived across the court actually goes to Nell's room and demands to see that the child, Bunny, is o.k. Jed slips out of Bunny's room and Nell tells the lady that he forced his way into her room and was holding her hostage. After Jed gets away, he meets Lyn again, who has been at the hotel in the lobby waiting for him to return. They start to leave and Jed gets a feeling of remorse and decides to go back upstairs because he can't leave after having left Bunny tied up in the room with Nell and the lady. While all this is going on, the lady (Miss Ballew) calls the hotel desk and tells them that a man has escaped from Nell's room. A man that had intruded into her room. Now the house detective is looking for him. Before Jed gets back upstairs, Mrs. Jones, Bunny's mother, has come back to the hotel because, of course, she has a 'feeling' in her bones tha something is wrong. She left Mr. Jones at the convention. Mrs. J makes it up to the room before Jed. When she sees Miss Ballew, who she has never met, she instantly goes into the adjoining room and finds Bunny bound and gagged with Nell sitting over her. Nell was just about to do something to Bunny to be sure that Bunny couldn't tell her side of the story (Strangle her, it's not clear in the book). Mrs. Jones grabs Nell by the hair and they have the fight that we see in the movie. Jed comes in and separates them, as in the movie, but right behind Jed, the house detective comes in while Jed is holding Nell by the hair. He tells Jed to release her and he says no, so the detective shoots Jed. Apparently a grazing shot. This is basically the end of the drama. They call a hospital to pick up Nell. Uncle Eddie wakes up from the knock on the head and affirms that Nell must be put away. Lyn comes up to the room and she and Jed decide that they had better stay together. They all have a drink and one by one they leave the Joneses alone. The end. The whole part about Nell getting away and going to the lobby and stealing the razor blades so she can kill herself, NEVER HAPPENED IN THE BOOK. All in all, I think the movie was much better than the original story and I really love Marilyn's acting in it much more. (I mean, I did love it already but now I wonder if she read the original because she really seemed to get the character). If anyone ever has a chance to read the book, it is worth it. Author's name is Charlotte Armstrong.

This post has been edited by lorileime: Jun 24 2011, 08:38 PM

+Quote Post
mare
post Sep 13 2011, 01:54 AM
Post #34
Super admirer

Group Icon

QUOTE(Tara @ Jun 4 2009, 06:48 AM) *
That's true, in fact I think the film as a whole could have been better if the studio had taken more time over it. I like it a lot and some of the acting is great, but it still has that B-movie feel. A wonderful role for for Marilyn though.
I'm watching it again now on TCM. I love this movie. Marilyn is so underrated in this film! Its DOES have a B movie feel because, yes the studio didn't give it much thought, just churned it out. M plays Nell so well. I love when she looks straight at the girl and moves towards her. This is the scene when the girl surprises her and Jed by coming into the room. And oh, now is the scene when she's at the window with the girl and places her hand on the girl's back ever so slowly and gently. It's so creepy the way M does it. She does it so well. Eeesh. Wow she was soo good in this.
QUOTE(lorileime @ Jun 24 2011, 07:08 AM) *
I am in the middle of reading the original story for Don't Bother. A story called Mischief, written in 1948. The plot is different from the movie and the character of Nell is a very wicked girl who used a lot of profanity. Jed and Lyn are together but in the book, they go out to a restaurant for dinner and have a fight. She leaves him at the restaurant and he goes back to the hotel where he spots Nell across the court. Nell is staying with Eddie and his wife Marie. She is from Indiana, not Oregon, and she is there because her house burned down and her parents were killed, not because her boyfriend died in a plane crash. So far it has not been revealed if she ever tried to kill herself. I am at the part now where the older lady who lived across the court actually goes to Nell's room and demands to see that the child, Bunny, is o.k. Jed slips out of Bunny's room and Nell tells the lady that he forced his way into her room and was holding her hostage. After Jed gets away, he meets Lyn again, who has been at the hotel in the lobby waiting for him to return. They start to leave and Jed gets a feeling of remorse and decides to go back upstairs because he can't leave after having left Bunny tied up in the room with Nell and the lady. While all this is going on, the lady (Miss Ballew) calls the hotel desk and tells them that a man has escaped from Nell's room. A man that had intruded into her room. Now the house detective is looking for him. Before Jed gets back upstairs, Mrs. Jones, Bunny's mother, has come back to the hotel because, of course, she has a 'feeling' in her bones tha something is wrong. She left Mr. Jones at the convention. Mrs. J makes it up to the room before Jed. When she sees Miss Ballew, who she has never met, she instantly goes into the adjoining room and finds Bunny bound and gagged with Nell sitting over her. Nell was just about to do something to Bunny to be sure that Bunny couldn't tell her side of the story (Strangle her, it's not clear in the book). Mrs. Jones grabs Nell by the hair and they have the fight that we see in the movie. Jed comes in and separates them, as in the movie, but right behind Jed, the house detective comes in while Jed is holding Nell by the hair. He tells Jed to release her and he says no, so the detective shoots Jed. Apparently a grazing shot. This is basically the end of the drama. They call a hospital to pick up Nell. Uncle Eddie wakes up from the knock on the head and affirms that Nell must be put away. Lyn comes up to the room and she and Jed decide that they had better stay together. They all have a drink and one by one they leave the Joneses alone. The end. The whole part about Nell getting away and going to the lobby and stealing the razor blades so she can kill herself, NEVER HAPPENED IN THE BOOK. All in all, I think the movie was much better than the original story and I really love Marilyn's acting in it much more. (I mean, I did love it already but now I wonder if she read the original because she really seemed to get the character). If anyone ever has a chance to read the book, it is worth it. Author's name is Charlotte Armstrong.
Ooh thank you for this!
QUOTE(jemaniac @ Nov 4 2008, 06:34 PM) *
I just love DBTK. It makes me sad though... because I wish Marilyn had been given more roles like Nell. She was never given the chance to show her full range as an actress. I mean, she's so convincing in this film, and it's very early in her career... just think what she could have done a few years later.
It makes me sad too. M was never given the right roles. I just love her in DBTK. I'm watching it now. Wow and she looks so beautiful too besides (of course!).

+Quote Post
mm_artiste
post Sep 14 2011, 10:00 PM
Post #35
Marilyn nut

Group Icon

I really do enjoy Marilyn in dramatic roles, this one being one of her best. There are times while watching this movie that I'm chilled to the bone by how unsettling and disturbing the character is, especially when she's interacting with the little girl. I can only imagine how difficult it may have been for Marilyn to have to act so forcefully to the little girl - even though they're both acting. This is definitely in my top 5 favorite Marilyn movies.

+Quote Post
CYRILPARIS
post Nov 5 2011, 06:24 PM
Post #36
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

from Dressing Marilyn, by Andrew Hansford
Attached File(s)
Attached File Sans_titre_33_.jpg ( 170.69K )Number of downloads: 35

+Quote Post
Mona
post Dec 8 2011, 05:18 PM
Post #37

Group Icon

Thats the first Marilyn movie that I watched! I can't say a lot but she was a very good actress .. and this early performance is definitely a proof for her talent!
I like old movies more and more! Thanks to Marilyn!

+Quote Post
nicky62
post Dec 9 2011, 02:03 AM
Post #38
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I LOVE DBTK ESPECIALLY THE WAY SHE LOOKS IN THIS MOVIE DARK BLONDE HAIR AND THOSE SOULESS EYES (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif)
Attached File(s)
Attached File dbtk2.jpg ( 27.11K )Number of downloads: 39
Attached File DBTK1_NICKY.jpg ( 84.97K )Number of downloads: 25

+Quote Post
Mona
post Dec 9 2011, 02:31 PM
Post #39

Group Icon

Yes! Her hair are really beautiful there. More natural.

+Quote Post
KingAl
post Oct 7 2015, 03:47 PM
Post #40

Group Icon

Ilike almost everything about this movie. The first time I watched it I wasn't much fascinated but when I watched it later i started to love it. Her performance (I must mention the exception of her "artificial" movement of the lips! It would be much better without it for this role ), the music is good, the scenery the story...

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th August 2019 - 05:29 AM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.