Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Don't Bother To Knock
Share |
Bobby
post Jun 3 2008, 07:55 PM
Post #1
That smile...

Group Icon

'Film Noir' was not a genre Marilyn featured in very often but her impressively real performance in 1952's Don't Bother to Knock begs the question, why not? She is so vividly believeable as troubled babysitter Nell Forbes that one can't help but feel somewhat scared by the worrying look in her beautiful eyes. Before the seductive darling of celluloid dreams, before the glamour girl of technicolour glory, there was a young and raw actress in her very first starring role. This is that role. But you wouldn't believe it...

I know this one is very popular with the MM fans for several reasons - and I'm one of those admirers. It's so blatantly different (though of course there are certain obvious murderous similarities with Rose Loomis) to any other role Marilyn played and she was so convincing as Nell. She played the part so very well and the sheer quality of her performance makes it frankly remarkable that it was her first leading role. What did you think?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tara
post Jun 3 2008, 08:09 PM
Post #2
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

I love this movie, especially Marilyn's performance (plus, I'm a fan of film noir.) She conveys Nell's fragile state beautifully, particularly in the early scenes where she is in the hotel room, and then the final scenes when she comes to her senses. Those moments make you realise that Marilyn was an actress who didn't need words, she is so naturally expressive. Richard Widmark is excellent too, and I liked Anne Bancroft. It was quite a low-budget film and that shows with some of the more melodramatic dialogue and so on. But it's definitely worth seeing to realise Marilyn's true talent as an actress, before she got typecast as the dumb blonde. I love the comedies as well but I think a lot of non-fans would be surprised at how different she is here, and how convincing too.

+Quote Post
dwane
post Jun 3 2008, 08:44 PM
Post #3
I'm trying so hard...

Group Icon

this is yet another one of my favorite marilyn movies. her performance is amazing and the overall movie is very well put together. this character is nothing like any of the other characters she ever played and i love it.

+Quote Post
bruno
post Jun 3 2008, 09:11 PM
Post #4
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

I also consider it is one of her best performances. She is heartbreaking, especially at the end, and I am certain that with a less blind studio, she would have been offered other roles of that quality. But this would have been another story.

+Quote Post
lorileime
post Jun 3 2008, 09:51 PM
Post #5
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Yes, I agree. Marilyn does a nice job with this movie. She does still show a very raw sort of talent, but what's captivating is the fact that she is so inexperienced as an actor and still manages to make us want to help Nell and keep her safe. She definitely tapped into the disturbed psyche of the character and did a nice job developing it. One thing I would have loved is if this movie were filmed in color. Somehow I feel that color would have played it up a little more with a little more dramatic shock value here and there (like a really red penoir or the contrast between Nell's dull blue uniform and the mother's colorful party dress to make Nell seem small and insignificant. One thing I didn't care for too much is the way Marilyn over-annunciates her dialogue in this movie. It would have been better to be a little more messy. Overall, a very nice film with a nice music score (which I wish we could get on cd).

This post has been edited by lorileime: Jun 3 2008, 10:50 PM

+Quote Post
Demos Kratos
post Jun 4 2008, 01:22 AM
Post #6
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

I have just finished watching this film and I am shocked--literally. I've said to myself before that Marlyn's talent was stiffled by the execs at 20th Century Fox and her true talent never really got the chance to blossom as many of the following movies all seemed to have the similar 'comedic blonde' aspect placed in them. Don't Bother To Knock however, despite its short runtime had me gripped, eagerly awaiting the aftermath of the events that took place in the film. Marilyn performed her role so well, to the point, where it really 'tugged on my heart strings' if you know what I mean and I experienced some emotional chemistry there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Sorry I do ramble sometimes lol, but I really liked this movie. Being a new fan and all - still yet to see all of Marilyn's movies - I was just so impressed by this film.

+Quote Post
mmmMarilyn
post Jun 4 2008, 02:34 AM
Post #7
A Girl, but not THE Girl

Group Icon

I.
LOVE.
THIS.
MOVIE.

That is all I need to say.
: )

+Quote Post
Katri^
post Jun 4 2008, 07:42 AM
Post #8
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

This must be one of the MM films that I've watched the most. She is amazing! The scene where she hears the plane outside and goes to the window, and there's a tear on her cheek. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shock.gif) It is the most impressive scene in the film. I love it.

This post has been edited by Katri^: Jun 4 2008, 07:42 AM

+Quote Post
Tara
post Jun 4 2008, 05:20 PM
Post #9
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

This one is definitely a fan favourite! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbup1.gif)

+Quote Post
Garbo20
post Jun 4 2008, 05:41 PM
Post #10
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

This is my favourite MM movie, I was totally impressed with her after watching it, she was sooooo soooooo good and made a real sinister atmospher.

+Quote Post
Cello
post Jun 4 2008, 11:26 PM
Post #11
I just want to be wonderful.

Group Icon

This, I think, is probably Marilyn's best dramatic performance. The script wasn't that great, just mediocre. But Marilyn made the film very watchable. She was amazing.

And she didn't play a "dumb blonde."

+Quote Post
abeautifulchild
post Jun 5 2008, 01:06 AM
Post #12
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Well Marilyn was excellent, of course. Her emotions came through perfectly, her facial expressions and body language really made Nell come alive. She was such a natural talent- and she shows that here. She really made this movie worthwhile. I enjoyed Anne Bancroft in this too. I don't know if I would say that this is Marilyn's best dramatic performance though...

+Quote Post
meztisa
post Jun 5 2008, 11:38 PM
Post #13
team marilyn

Group Icon

This movie was soo creepy! I completely forgot I was watching "Marilyn Monroe". I spent the whole time saying to myself, "What in the WORLD is wrong with this lady?!"

Definately an Oscar-worthy performance! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Fabrice
post Jun 10 2008, 06:24 AM
Post #14
Marilyn nut

Group Icon

QUOTE(abeautifulchild @ Jun 5 2008, 02:06 AM) *
Well Marilyn was excellent, of course. Her emotions came through perfectly, her facial expressions and body language really made Nell come alive. She was such a natural talent- and she shows that here. She really made this movie worthwhile.

I agree, her performance in this movie is perfectly amazing, and it's the proof, if needed, that Marilyn was able to play any characters, in any kind of movies. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif)

+Quote Post
Elsie Marina
post Jun 17 2008, 05:57 PM
Post #15
Ultimate fan

Group Icon

One of Marilyn's best dramatic performances, it would have been so easy to go over the top with this role but instead marilyn managed to make Nell both sympathetic and dangerous.

+Quote Post
Kowalczyk
post Jul 12 2008, 02:45 PM
Post #16
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

I agree with every word arsena1 wrote. I just finished watching this today and was blown away by Marilyn's acting. One moment you want to hug Nell and the next you're frightened of her. This is definitely a new favourite of mine.

+Quote Post
MissCaswell
post Jul 12 2008, 05:36 PM
Post #17
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

Marilyn's performance in this one reminds me a little of the one she gives 8 years later, in the Misfits (this comparison also gives an idea of the pace in which Marilyn's talent developed and matured - imagine if she had lived longer, what she could have done and been!). The character's pain and and loneliness is so apparent, and even in Nell's "dangerous" moments I just want to hold her and make her feel safe. Marilyn may have been a comedic genius, but it is in her few dramatic parts that she really gets to me.

+Quote Post
Katri^
post Jul 12 2008, 05:39 PM
Post #18
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(MissCaswell @ Jul 12 2008, 05:36 PM) *
Marilyn's performance in this one reminds me a little of the one she gives 8 years later, in the Misfits (this comparison also gives an idea of the pace in which Marilyn's talent developed and matured - imagine if she had lived longer, what she could have done and been!). The character's pain and and loneliness is so apparent, and even in Nell's "dangerous" moments I just want to hold her and make her feel safe. Marilyn may have been a comedic genius, but it is in her few dramatic parts that she really gets to me.

Exactly my thoughts too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

+Quote Post
Lottie
post Nov 4 2008, 07:18 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

I LOVE this film , her acting in it is amazing, and I think she should've got more credit for it,
But did anyone else notice Richard Widmards obsession with rye? It's all he ever talks about (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

+Quote Post
audreyfan1
post Nov 4 2008, 10:53 PM
Post #20
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

DBTK is definitely my favourite of Marilyn's early performaces! (If not my favourite Marilyn film of all!). It's so different from her other performances and I think that it could very well have been the beginning of a successful dramatic career for her.

I love this film and I think I've watched it more than any of her other films!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th August 2019 - 12:36 AM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.