Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> There's No Business Like Show Business
Share |
ziggy
post Jul 31 2008, 09:29 PM
Post #21
Mr. Queen Bee

Group Icon

^Glad you liked it.

What can I say that hasn't been said. It's a dreadful bore. Overtly tacky, packed with clichés. The jokes are unfunny, the musical numbers lack imagination, there's not a hint of irony or attitude. It's badly acted, badly directed, and above all, badly scripted. The predictability of the plot is beyond frustrating. Marilyn is stiff and the Heat Wave number is just plain vulgar, not provocative and controversial in the vein of her brightest moments.

She sings beautifully, though, and both AYGWYW and Lazy grab your attention in the middle of all the painful blur. There's cruel irony about the fact that the two films where her singing blossomed, River and Business, were also the worst she made once she'd become a star.

This post has been edited by ziggy: Jul 31 2008, 09:31 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bobby
post Jul 31 2008, 10:03 PM
Post #22
That smile...

Group Icon

QUOTE(ziggy @ Jul 31 2008, 10:29 PM) *
There's cruel irony about the fact that the two films where her singing blossomed, River and Business, were also the worst she made once she'd become a star.

It's funny, I never picked up on that but you're absoltuely right. Very good point.

+Quote Post
lorileime
post Aug 2 2008, 01:15 AM
Post #23
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(ziggy @ Jul 31 2008, 04:29 PM) *
^Glad you liked it.

What can I say that hasn't been said. It's a dreadful bore. Overtly tacky, packed with clichés. The jokes are unfunny, the musical numbers lack imagination, there's not a hint of irony or attitude. It's badly acted, badly directed, and above all, badly scripted. The predictability of the plot is beyond frustrating. Marilyn is stiff and the Heat Wave number is just plain vulgar, not provocative and controversial in the vein of her brightest moments.

She sings beautifully, though, and both AYGWYW and Lazy grab your attention in the middle of all the painful blur. There's cruel irony about the fact that the two films where her singing blossomed, River and Business, were also the worst she made once she'd become a star.

But do you REALLY feel?

+Quote Post
ziggy
post Aug 2 2008, 04:40 AM
Post #24
Mr. Queen Bee

Group Icon

^Do I really feel what? I really do feel this way about the movie, if that's what you're asking.

+Quote Post
princesshapnick
post Oct 17 2008, 11:27 AM
Post #25
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I've noticed a film mistake that isn't mentioned on IMDb. I'm very proud!

This is the mistake:
It was the scene after Vicky had performed her Heatwave number. Tim walks her to her doorstep and says goodnight so she closes the door on him. Realising he was carrying one of Vicky's breadsticks, he knocks on her door. But just before Marilyn (as Vicky) opens the door, if you look in the window directly to the left of the door, you can see Marilyn's arm, indicating that she is touching the door handle. And she waits in that position for a few seconds and then finally opens the door to Tim. Just a minor mistake, I know but hey. Look out for it if or when you watch this film again!

+Quote Post
lorileime
post Oct 17 2008, 03:25 PM
Post #26
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(princesshapnick @ Oct 17 2008, 06:27 AM) *
I've noticed a film mistake that isn't mentioned on IMDb. I'm very proud!

This is the mistake:
It was the scene after Vicky had performed her Heatwave number. Tim walks her to her doorstep and says goodnight so she closes the door on him. Realising he was carrying one of Vicky's breadsticks, he knocks on her door. But just before Marilyn (as Vicky) opens the door, if you look in the window directly to the left of the door, you can see Marilyn's arm, indicating that she is touching the door handle. And she waits in that position for a few seconds and then finally opens the door to Tim. Just a minor mistake, I know but hey. Look out for it if or when you watch this film again!

Strangely I had noticed that before but don't count it as a mistake. At least, it's not an acting mistake. If anything, it's a directing mistake and a lighting mistake. But you're right, it shouldn't have been filmed that way. Most people would miss it, but when you watch a movie over and over, like we do, those things start to become obvious. Good call.

This post has been edited by lorileime: Oct 17 2008, 03:26 PM

+Quote Post
Paju
post Nov 16 2008, 11:33 AM
Post #27
♥ Appleblossom ♥

Group Icon

I don't think it's that bad. It's not a significant movie, and yes the plot is predictable, not Marilyn's best performance etc. But if you take it as what it is, a tribute to Irving Berlin's music - a light musical comedy, then I say it's not such a horrible way to pass your time. It's colorful, entertaining and helps you forget about your everyday problems for a while. I watch it sometimes and enjoy it. But I'm not saying it's the greatest movie ever made.

+Quote Post
Guest_waif55_*
post Dec 8 2009, 04:21 AM
Post #28

QUOTE(Alanma @ May 30 2008, 11:42 AM) *
Loreleime is right about the choreography of 'When you get what you want'.
It is unspeakably bad, and wholly unnecessary anyway. The moves are wholly out of keeping, awkward and have no flow. The costume is just as jarring on the eye.
That song should be sung as a smoochy solo to one selected stooge in the audience.
'Heat Wave' is an embarrassment too.
I wonder if the Studio set Marilyn up for a fall?
But Marilyn rises above it.

I love MM's singing in TNBLSB but Jack Cole should have been shot for that choreography! What she does in "After You Get..." is absurd and truly vulgar. "Heat Wave" is slightly better because she has some room to move, but our girl was no dancer, and Cole didn't help her out in this one. It's her worst performance. In "River of No Return" at least she looks ravishing, but here, she's close to cheap and nothnig special. But again, heer voice was great, and the last time she'd use her "low" voice for singing---she went rather babyish for "Some Like It Hot" and "Let's Make Love"

+Quote Post
SugarKane78
post Jan 17 2010, 04:02 AM
Post #29
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

QUOTE(Tiina @ Jul 10 2008, 09:57 PM) *
Okay... I hate this movie (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/yuk.gif) I have never watched the whole thing even though I've tried a couple of times! It's just too much for me to bear lol. The Donahues... ugh! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I always fast forward scenes to when Marilyn comes on, because her musical numbers are great, I have to admit, and she looks absolutely gorgeous!
However I don't think anyone would remember this movie at all if it didn't have Marilyn in it.

Me too! I just watched this move and hated it. I fast forwarded through every scene that MM was not in...Her dance numbers were bearable because she looks beautiful, but I just feel like the film was a huge waste of her talent.

+Quote Post
Scottish Sugar
post Jan 18 2010, 10:55 AM
Post #30
Scotland's Marilyn Fanatic!

Group Icon

I've never understood the complete hatred for this film! lol I actually really like it. But then, fluffy 40's and 50's musicals are my absolute favourite genre of film.

Good points:

* "A Man Chases A Girl, Until She Catches Him" musical number is one of my favourite moments in movie history EVER! (Funnily enough, my other favourite moment is another Donald O'Connor musical number, "Make Em Laugh" from 'Singin' In The Rain.'
* Marilyn! I think she gives a great preformance and she makes the musical numbers her own.
* The ending!... man, I always cry at the end when Tim comes back from the "dead"
* The over the top, colourful, larger than life musical numbers, LOVE the final version of "There's No Business Like Show Business"
* The overall fluffiness of it all! It's just an awesome film you can stick on, on a saturday afternoon and just get lost in it.. I love it (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)
* Donald O'Connor's "Scottish dance" in "Alexander's Ragtime Band", is SO adorable!
* Marilyn's dress before the "A Man Chases A Girl, Until She Catches Him" number

Bad Points:

*I think Marilyn's charatcer Vicky Parker is her least likeable
* Donald O'Connor is one of my favourite male stars of Old Hollywood, he is simply magic to watch, but I don't think he and Marilyn made a very believable couple
* It wasn't until fairly recently did I even realise how bad the routine for "After You Get What You Want, You Don't Want It" is.. it didn't even occur to me it was because of Marilyn's lack of dance training. It's so glaringly obvious now when I watch it, I wish they'd done a better job of it, as it's a great musical number and her dress is gorgeous.
*Johnny Ray's mouth movements when he's singing "If You Believe" WTF?! lol

This post has been edited by Scottish Sugar: Jan 18 2010, 11:07 AM

+Quote Post
princesshapnick
post Jan 27 2010, 07:28 PM
Post #31
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

^Interesting points, Lorraine. And a good idea to do. I think I'll do the same! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/mf_w00t1.gif)

Good points of There's No Business Like Show Business:
- Marilyn looks stunning and her singing voice is shown to great effect in 'Lazy' and 'Heatwave'.
- Most of the songs are pretty catchy, including MM's, of course.
- I love the film's gloriously colourful sets/locations and the general feel-good aspect of it - though a bit too long for my liking. Not a criticism though.
- Ethel Merman, though frightfully annoying, makes me laugh in this film!

Bad points of There's No Business Like Show Business:
- The guy who plays Steve Donahue annoys me very, very much. Sorry, but he does. (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
- The pretty bad dancing to 'After You Get What You Want' - I don't think it was down to Marilyn's dancing abilities, just down to the awful choreography.
- I found Mitzi Gaynor to be awkward-looking in this film, though I have to admit, I haven't seen any other film that she was in. I just feel a sense of rivalry between her and MM. It might be just me there but I dunno. She had some cute outfits in this film though.
- The plotline of the film is very weak, in my opinion.

+Quote Post
audreyfan1
post Jan 28 2010, 08:31 PM
Post #32
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

Lorraine and Becky, you both make a lot of really great points.

I have to agree with you both. I think that really, the only reason this film has any merit at all is because of Marilyn's performance in it. The plot is weak, I don't think Marilyn and Donald O'Connor have good on-screen chemistry at all, the film is a bit too long and even for a musical there are too many songs, I think the film wouldn't have suffered at all if 1 or 2 of the songs were cut (although none of Marilyn's of course!).

I think there are just too many main characters in this movie too. The Donahues are such a large family and the film did a good job of making sure no one Donahue overshadowed any of the others, but I also think that that's what makes it feel like the number of characters in the film is a bit overwhelming.

But, despite its negative aspects, this is one of those films that always makes me happy when I watch it. It's so colourful and light. And I get the sense that all of the actors had a fun time making it. It's surefire cure for the blues! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

This post has been edited by audreyfan1: Jan 28 2010, 08:33 PM

+Quote Post
Robby
post Sep 28 2010, 09:41 PM
Post #33
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I just re watched this movie after a lóng time.

What can I say what hasn't been said before. The plot of the movie is mediocre at best, the characters are pretty forgettable, and except for After You Get What You Want and Heat Wave, I find the musical numbers quite dull and lengthy. Later on in the movie I just started to skip them. I only watched this movie for the Marilyn scenes. It's my least favorite Marilyn movie (not counting the films where she had just a bit part). I know Ethel Merman was a musical legend, but sometimes I found her voice quite annoying. Same goes for Johnnie Ray.

+Quote Post
bruno
post Sep 29 2010, 11:25 PM
Post #34
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

According to me, the worst of MM movies :
boring, fake, affected, very narcissic, and of bad taste (backgrounds, costumes, choregraphies...). Acting is also terrible.
It sounds for me like a huge indigestible hollywood cake.

But aside from this, MM voice is at her peak.
Bad point though : it might be that for contract reasons, it is not hers, but Dolores Gray's,
which I have been surprised to read, and I am checking the source with the author of the information.

+Quote Post
sugarkane20
post Oct 5 2010, 04:27 AM
Post #35
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

In the movie that is her voice but in the soundtrack its not

+Quote Post
Scottish Sugar
post Oct 5 2010, 11:55 AM
Post #36

Group Icon

QUOTE(sugarkane20 @ Oct 5 2010, 04:27 AM) *
In the movie that is her voice but in the soundtrack its not

Really? that's suprising to me because I listen to the soundtrack all the time and never once did I think the voice wasn't Marilyn's. Sure enough the vocals on Heat Wave are slightly different, but still, I could swear it's Marilyn.

Do you have a source? (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

xx

+Quote Post
sugarkane20
post Oct 5 2010, 06:02 PM
Post #37
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

I never heard the soundtrack. I read this off imdb.com trivia section its says, Marilyns voice on the Decca soundtrack album for "Theres no business for show business" was replaced by singer Dolores Gray becauses monroe's voice was under contract to another record company that would not release the rights for use on the album. I read this somewhere else also but i cant remeber.

In my opinion i consider this movie marilyn's worst acting. I wish marilyn and mitzi had more screen time i loved her in "South Pacific"

+Quote Post
Scottish Sugar
post Oct 5 2010, 11:03 PM
Post #38

Group Icon

I wouldn't believe everything you read on IMDb, its the same as Wikipedia, it can be edited by just about anyone.

Now unless they re-released the soundtrack with marilyns vocals? That's the only way I can see that being true, because trust me, the soundtrack I have is 100 and 10million% marilyn (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

+Quote Post
lorileime
post Oct 6 2010, 04:36 PM
Post #39
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Yes, there are two different soundtracks to this movie. One with MM and one with Dolores Grey. I have both of them. The original LP has Grey's voice and that was the official release version of the soundtrack made by the recording studio. The reason is as mentioned above. MM's voice was owned by Columbia Records at the time from a long standing contract she made while with them. I guess they did that when she recorded the songs for Ladies of the Chorus. They later, much, much later, maybe even after MM died, released the original recordings through MGM (I think) because the original contract had expired. And, the studio released two different versions of the song Heat Wave. The movie version is a bad version. MM missed a lot in her tonality in that version. I think the story was that MGM had come up with a certain dance routine with one of their choreographers and MM wasn't pleased at all with the production of the Heat Wave number. I think that made her just want to get the whole thing over and done with and she didn't give it her all when she recorded the song. But, somehow she was able to convice the studio and Jack Cole to come over to MGM and redo that number with her. Better choreography, better everything. So, I think she re-recorded the song but it was too late to have it synced into the movie. So, years later there are two versions of MM singing that song. The better one is often listed as Heat Wave (Alternate Version) and she sounds much, much better on it. She hits all the notes perfectly. A lot this is theory, but I can tell you for sure that there are two different versions of that song and I know that she did get Cole to come over and redo that number.

+Quote Post
CYRILPARIS
post Nov 5 2011, 06:25 PM
Post #40
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

from Dressing Marilyn, by Andrew Hansford
Attached File(s)
Attached File Sans_titre_36_.jpg ( 48.75K )Number of downloads: 31
Attached File Sans_titre_37_.jpg ( 282.61K )Number of downloads: 30

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th April 2020 - 02:56 PM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.