Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> There's No Business Like Show Business
Share |
Bobby
post May 27 2008, 08:06 PM
Post #1
That smile...

Group Icon

Although only a secondary character in Irving Berlin's extravagant family film, Marilyn puts in a commendable performance as singing starlet Vicky Hoffman. Musical veterans such as Ethel Merman and Donald O'Connor co-star in this glittering celebration of all things show business. The story follows a travelling Vaudeville family of entertainers who face some tough decisions as some members of the clan start to get itchy feet.

The first couple of times I watched this, I was struggling. I found myself forwarding through all the Marilyn-less scenes. I can't bear Ethel Merman's voice (sorry!) and I just didn't really care about the Donahues; I wanted Marilyn! I loved the AYGWYW number but Heatwave I thought was horrific from start to finish; the lyrics, the costumes, the dancing. Just horrible. It's just about the only MM movie song I don't like. And is it me or is Johnnie Ray terrible? His is acting is sound but I wasn't impressed by his voice and his over-dramatic and totally unflattering showmanship was ridiculous. What did you think?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
magda24
post May 27 2008, 08:14 PM
Post #2
The light descends from nowhere

Group Icon

For me this movie could exist only as as a set of Marilyn dancing&singing numbers. I totally didn't care for the whole story and it's the only movie Marilyn made after 1952 which I saw only once (not counting musical numbers). I think she's beautiful as always, sings and dances as well as usual but the whole movie is a disaster (IMO)!But I know that Marilyn agreed to play in this movie only because she had been promised Seven Year Itch so I guess she's justified!

This post has been edited by magda24: May 27 2008, 08:15 PM

+Quote Post
dwane
post May 27 2008, 08:18 PM
Post #3
I'm trying so hard...

Group Icon

outside of marilyn's parts i found this movie extremely boring and annoying. if you like musicals this one is for you but as for me i can't stand to watch it. i think that if they put marilyn in more scenes it would have been a lot more popular.

i liked all her musical numbers and although a lot of people do not like the "heat wave" number i thought it was really good.

ethel merman is so annoying.

This post has been edited by dwane: May 27 2008, 08:22 PM

+Quote Post
Alanma
post May 30 2008, 01:53 PM
Post #4
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I do love 'Lazy', though better heard on CD.

Speaking as a musician, I have always admired the varied styles of musical arrangement of 'Alexander's Ragtime Band'. The arranger and orchestra should have had an award for it!
Nothing to do with Marilyn, but when I was a music student, our Professor always pointed to what wonders had been performed with 'Lullaby of Broadway' in the 'Gold-diggers of 1933'.
Those of you who like old films should try prewar musicals just for the music!

+Quote Post
Tara
post May 30 2008, 02:09 PM
Post #5
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

I love Marilyn's singing but that's about it. She isn't given much else to do. It is really all about the music, the plot and characters are forgettable. I've probably watched this least of all her films as a star.

+Quote Post
lorileime
post May 30 2008, 03:13 PM
Post #6
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Here's my two cents. I agree tha the movie is just too boring from start to finish. The story line never grabs my attention. As for Marilyn, maybe it has to do with the other actors she played against in this movie, I find her acting to be very melodramatic and stiff. Sorry darling! Her disinterest in this part comes through loud and clear and totally transparently on screen. She definitely didn't want to do this movie and it shows. As far as the musical numbers, many of them are fine. I'm not happy with AYGWYW. I thought the correography was totally uncomplimentary to Marilyn's ability. I am very happy that she was able to get Jack Cole to come over for the Heat Wave number. I love that number, I just hate the fact that they used the worst of the two vocal renditions Marilyn recorded for the final print. She is off pitch throughout that number but the alternate take that is available on CD is fantastic. It should have been used in the film instead. One thing I like about that number is that it's actually very sexually full of inuendo for the time and probably pushed a few buttons back then. Lazy is another good scene. Marilyn being kittenish is always a favorite of mine. Overall, I probably wouldn't watch this movie again from start to finish. That goodness for fastforward!

+Quote Post
Katri^
post May 30 2008, 05:28 PM
Post #7
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I don't really know what to think about this. I like the film, and it seems like I'm the only one here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

The songs are really nice, especially Heat wave! It has been my favorite ever since I heard it for the first time. She does the number perfectly, because someone else might make the coreography look silly in some parts. : ) But that doesn't happen with MM. I like the other songs too, though I have to agree with you, that Ethel Merman is annoying! Her voice is... Well, I can't bare it either.

There are parts that shouldn't have been ever filmed, but not very many. : ) The movie gets quite boring, but then Marilyn comes and saves the whole thing. TNBLSB wouldn't have been really anything without Marilyn. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

+Quote Post
princesshapnick
post May 30 2008, 08:06 PM
Post #8
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

When I first saw this film, I kind of liked it. But sometimes, I fast forwarded a few scenes to when Marilyn came on. I can usually last a few scenes without Marilyn, but if it's a really long scene without Marilyn, I will definitely fast forward. But I loved all of her musical numbers, particularly Heatwave and After You Get What You Want (You Don't Want It). Even though she was so glamorous in this movie, it's just one of those films that may stay on my shelf for a while until the next viewing...

+Quote Post
Alanma
post May 30 2008, 08:42 PM
Post #9
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Loreleime is right about the choreography of 'When you get what you want'.
It is unspeakably bad, and wholly unnecessary anyway. The moves are wholly out of keeping, awkward and have no flow. The costume is just as jarring on the eye.
That song should be sung as a smoochy solo to one selected stooge in the audience.
'Heat Wave' is an embarrassment too.
I wonder if the Studio set Marilyn up for a fall?
But Marilyn rises above it.

+Quote Post
dwane
post May 30 2008, 08:46 PM
Post #10
I'm trying so hard...

Group Icon

they should make a version of TNBLS for the marilyn fans with ONLY her scenes so we wouldn't have to fast forward, lol.

+Quote Post
mmmMarilyn
post May 30 2008, 09:50 PM
Post #11
A Girl, but not THE Girl

Group Icon

hahahah Dwane that is a genius idea---It was almost painful for me to sit through this fully the first time, I was like WHERE IS MARILYN!?!?!?! COME ON!
And when she did appear she lit up the screen as usual, but I agree with Alan--the choreography is just...vulgar in a way, I mean...such weird dance moves, although I do like the songs--her costumes were I think some of the most scandalous she ever wore--that "After you get what you want" costume, slit up to there, flesh toned, with the weird sparkly things on her bosoms and with that huge head thing---and the little black undies under that huge skirt paired with basically a bra for the "Heatwave" number--WOW!
But ok, it is about "show business" after all, and she's supposed to look flashy but for me, overall not a great movie, she's the best thing in it and does, as Alan said, rise above it.

+Quote Post
Katri^
post May 31 2008, 09:11 AM
Post #12
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I have to agree with you about After you get what you want (you don't want it). I've never liked that song, and the coreography must be one of the worst ever made. It should have been much more simple. There's too much in it, the costume and the moves are just too weird to me.

+Quote Post
lorelei
post Jun 1 2008, 06:33 PM
Post #13
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

I like "Lazy" perfomance.
I like this movie for it's good songs and bright colours.

+Quote Post
Elsie Marina
post Jun 17 2008, 05:45 PM
Post #14
Ultimate fan

Group Icon

This isn't my favourite Marilyn film but I don't think it is as bad as some people make it out to be (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
californiadude
post Jul 8 2008, 12:32 PM
Post #15
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I actually really like Marilyn's character, Vickie, in this movie. I love the fact that she is career driven, and she doesn't need a man to be happy and successful. I just love how she is more concerned with her career, and the scene where it comes down to him or her job, she picks the job. I just find her character to be ahead of her time.

Anyone else think this?

+Quote Post
Elsie Marina
post Jul 8 2008, 01:38 PM
Post #16
Ultimate fan

Group Icon

I thought that too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Alanma
post Jul 8 2008, 01:52 PM
Post #17
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(californiadude @ Jul 8 2008, 12:32 PM) *
I actually really like Marilyn's character, Vickie, in this movie. I love the fact that she is career driven, and she doesn't need a man to be happy and successful. I just love how she is more concerned with her career, and the scene where it comes down to him or her job, she picks the job. I just find her character to be ahead of her time.

Anyone else think this?

Rather like Marilyn herself!

+Quote Post
Tiina
post Jul 11 2008, 06:57 AM
Post #18
Ihana, ihanampi, Marilyn.

Group Icon

Okay... I hate this movie (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yuk.gif) I have never watched the whole thing even though I've tried a couple of times! It's just too much for me to bear lol. The Donahues... ugh! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I always fast forward scenes to when Marilyn comes on, because her musical numbers are great, I have to admit, and she looks absolutely gorgeous!
However I don't think anyone would remember this movie at all if it didn't have Marilyn in it.

+Quote Post
Vicoria Hoffman ...
post Jul 30 2008, 11:55 AM
Post #19
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

I like her musical numbers although they are a bit OTT. The rest of the film it seems like she just says her lines and thats it, she cant be bothered! I noticed the way she mentions having no family and being on her own since she was fifteen. Also when she tells her manager she has known what she was doing since she was six years old. Its like a thinly disguised biography.

I read somewhere that Mitzi Gaynor had 'snubbed' her during the making of the movie but not exactly what went on. Was it true?

+Quote Post
princesshapnick
post Jul 31 2008, 08:45 PM
Post #20
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I actually watched this film from start to finish yesterday. I made myself sit through everything with absolutely no use of the remote control. And at the end of it, I actually really liked it. (Please don't shoot me! And take your jaw off the ground!)

I thought Mitzi Gaynor was quite a good dancer, along with Donald O'Connor. I actually found myself laughing at Ethel Merman. Because I thought she had some witty lines and a few of my favourite scenes include her talking badly about Vicky! ("The girl who steals everybody's material wants to talk to you!")

But obviously, Marilyn shined above every single person in the film. And to be honest, I can see myself watching the whole of the film again. Yeah, the story is forgettable but I'm beginning to like most of the musical numbers. I ended up singing some of the songs after I watched it yesterday! How my Ethel Merman-type singing annoyed my family something bad. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/coolio.gif)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th September 2019 - 07:57 PM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.