Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How To Marry A Millionaire
Share |
pinup
post Oct 14 2008, 10:40 PM
Post #21
Ultimate fan

Group Icon

I really love this film! I do think that some of the parts are boring though, the part with Grable in the 'lodge' goes on for a bit too long I think. I also think that Marilyns character doesnt have much depth to it, I feel like she is their because she is Marilyn Monroe, I feel like her character is kind of pointless. I always forget the part where she meets the landlord on the aeroplane, its like they just added it in at the last minute.
Marilyn is an amazing comedic actress in it though and I love her costumes!!
Another thing I dont get about the film is the long musical intro at the start. Whats that all about?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bobby
post Oct 14 2008, 10:51 PM
Post #22
That smile...

Group Icon

QUOTE(pinup @ Oct 14 2008, 11:40 PM) *
I always forget the part where she meets the landlord on the aeroplane, its like they just added it in at the last minute.

I see what you mean there Angie but I love that scene; in fact it's my favourite in the whole film!

"You're reading that book upside down."
"But I'm no such thing!"
"Not you, the book."
"Oh."
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

QUOTE(pinup @ Oct 14 2008, 11:40 PM) *
Another thing I dont get about the film is the long musical intro at the start. Whats that all about?

Good question!

+Quote Post
Mezzo
post Oct 14 2008, 11:57 PM
Post #23
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

[quote

Good question!
[/quote]

Here's an explanation for the long musical introduction: (from imdb)
The film features an actual overture after the fashion of a live theatrical extravaganza. The 20th Century Fox Orchestra is arrayed before the camera to perform "Street Scene," conducted by its composer (and Fox studio music chief) Alfred Newman. This serves to highlight CinemaScope's new four-track magnetic stereophonic sound system and widescreen visuals.

+Quote Post
lorileime
post Oct 15 2008, 01:57 AM
Post #24
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(Bobby @ Oct 14 2008, 05:51 PM) *
I see what you mean there Angie but I love that scene; in fact it's my favourite in the whole film!

"You're reading that book upside down."
"But I'm no such thing!"
"Not you, the book."
"Oh."
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
Good question!

I love that scene too and I sometimes I will say stuff like that. "You're reading that book upside down" or when someone says something like that to me I'll say, "Me? or the book? (or what ever))

+Quote Post
darknstormyx0
post Nov 16 2008, 06:14 AM
Post #25

Group Icon

It's not one of her favorite performances but it's now one of my favorite movies of hers! Just got the DVD and watched it for the first time. So funny! She looked awesome with those glasses.<3

When Marilyn asked the director what the motivation for her character was, he replied, "You're as blind as a bat without glasses. That is your motivation ."

+Quote Post
Kowalczyk
post Nov 16 2008, 10:53 AM
Post #26
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

---

This post has been edited by Kowalczyk: Mar 14 2009, 04:22 PM

+Quote Post
Bobby
post Nov 18 2008, 08:52 PM
Post #27
That smile...

Group Icon

QUOTE(darknstormyx0 @ Nov 16 2008, 07:14 AM) *
It's not one of her favorite performances but it's now one of my favorite movies of hers! Just got the DVD and watched it for the first time. So funny! She looked awesome with those glasses.<3

When Marilyn asked the director what the motivation for her character was, he replied, "You're as blind as a bat without glasses. That is your motivation ."

Welcome to the forum, SP.

I merged your thread with the HTMAM thread (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbup1.gif)

+Quote Post
Scottish Sugar
post Mar 13 2009, 08:27 PM
Post #28
Scotland's Marilyn Fanatic!

Group Icon

This is one of my all time favourites! It was one of the first Marilyn movies I saw and it's just a great bit of "fluff!" It's everything you think 1950's glamourous comedies should be and more! I love Lauren and Betty in the movie also.

Marilyn looks like a complete GODDESS in this, she's never looked more stunning than in HTMAM.

Wonderful film... 10/10

xxxxx

+Quote Post
Bobby
post Jul 17 2009, 02:44 PM
Post #29
That smile...

Group Icon

I put this fun film on this morning and got thinking about something. So I thought I'd put the question to the good people of ES, to hear your opinions.

Betty Grable's character 'Loco' has a lot more dialogue than Marilyn's 'Pola'. Now surely, after the success of Niagara and GPB, it cannot be denied that Marilyn was a bigger box office pull in 1953 than Ms Grable. Although I found Betty's performance funny and faultless, I was wondering why Fox gave her the bigger part over Marilyn. The roles aren't too dissimilar but 'Loco' is a more wise-cracking, streetwise dame whereas I think dear 'Pola' is very naive and vulnerable.

So my question is this: if you were given the choice, would you have liked to see Marilyn as 'Loco' or would you prefer to build up the part of 'Pola'? Or of course, keep everything as it was and is. What are your thoughts people?

+Quote Post
Tara
post Jul 17 2009, 04:02 PM
Post #30
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

I think Marilyn could have played Loco, absolutely within her range. She would have played it a little differently of course, but it's still the kind of comedy she excelled at doing. Couldn't imagine her as Schatze though, that's more a Bacall role. I love MM as Pola and it's a shame she doesn't have more screen time. But on the other hand, I couldn't imagine Betty or any other actress playing Pola as well as Marilyn, and I do like Betty as Loco.

+Quote Post
Bobby
post Jul 18 2009, 05:09 PM
Post #31
That smile...

Group Icon

QUOTE(Tara @ Jul 17 2009, 04:02 PM) *
I think Marilyn could have played Loco, absolutely within her range. She would have played it a little differently of course, but it's still the kind of comedy she excelled at doing. Couldn't imagine her as Schatze though, that's more a Bacall role. I love MM as Pola and it's a shame she doesn't have more screen time. But on the other hand, I couldn't imagine Betty or any other actress playing Pola as well as Marilyn, and I do like Betty as Loco.

Thanks for your reply Tara (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I agree about Bacall's role and, as a sidenote, I noticed a thread on IMDB in which many people commented that Lauren looks a lot older than Betty and particularly Marilyn in this film. Would you agree with that? I sure would!

+Quote Post
Tara
post Jul 18 2009, 08:19 PM
Post #32
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

I agree that Lauren looks older than Marilyn, maybe it's her character or the clothes she wore. Considering she was only 2 years older in reality. I think Betty looks oldest though, with those tight blonde curls. And Marilyn looks so amazing that everyone else seems to age beside her! She always did look younger than she was, with her big blue eyes and pale skin. How old is Sugar meant to be in SLIH - 22 or something, I forget? And Marilyn was in her 30s when she played her, but is totally believable as a younger woman.

+Quote Post
Bobby
post Jul 19 2009, 03:57 PM
Post #33
That smile...

Group Icon

QUOTE(Tara @ Jul 18 2009, 08:19 PM) *
I agree that Lauren looks older than Marilyn, maybe it's her character or the clothes she wore. Considering she was only 2 years older in reality. I think Betty looks oldest though, with those tight blonde curls. And Marilyn looks so amazing that everyone else seems to age beside her! She always did look younger than she was, with her big blue eyes and pale skin. How old is Sugar meant to be in SLIH - 22 or something, I forget? And Marilyn was in her 30s when she played her, but is totally believable as a younger woman.

Very true Tara, good point. In Clash by Night, Marilyn was 25 yet Peggy says she's twenty. In Itch, The Girl says she "was 22 day before yesterday" though Marilyn was actually 28 when she filmed the scene. Plus as you say, Sugar will soon be 25 ("quarter of a century, makes a girl think") in SLIH and Miss Monroe was what, 32 at the time?

I see what you mean about Betty as well; it is her hair that makes her look older I think.

+Quote Post
hazy
post Jul 20 2009, 02:19 PM
Post #34
Marilyn nut

Group Icon

I love this movie. It is a fun comedy, and Marilyn looks beautiful. I love the glasses and the clothes. I found myself laughing a lot, and so did my husband. That says a lot for him, because it has to be REALLY funny for him to laugh!

+Quote Post
tom
post Dec 26 2009, 08:40 PM
Post #35
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

So so funny this movie!

+Quote Post
Scottish Sugar
post Mar 8 2010, 05:53 PM
Post #36
Scotland's Marilyn Fanatic!

Group Icon

On Nicole Kidman's IMDB Profile it says one of her movies scheduled for 2011 is "How To Marry A Millionaire."
There's been rumours circulating for a while that Nicole expressed interest in remaking this movie, but I sure hope it's just a coincidence that the movies have the same name, I don't think any Marilyn movie could be remade, purely for the fact that it wouldn't have Marilyn in it!
xx

+Quote Post
Guest_jennie2000_*
post Mar 8 2010, 06:32 PM
Post #37

QUOTE(Scottish Sugar @ Mar 8 2010, 04:53 PM) *
On Nicole Kidman's IMDB Profile it says one of her movies scheduled for 2011 is "How To Marry A Millionaire."
There's been rumours circulating for a while that Nicole expressed interest in remaking this movie, but I sure hope it's just a coincidence that the movies have the same name, I don't think any Marilyn movie could be remade, purely for the fact that it wouldn't have Marilyn in it!
xx

According to Wikipedia "Nicole Kidman has bought the rights to How to Marry a Millionaire, and is set to produce and possibly star in a remake."
Eew I hope not.

+Quote Post
Tara
post Mar 8 2010, 07:13 PM
Post #38
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

This has indeed been rumoured for some time. I like Nicole Kidman but the charm and wit of Marilyn's era can never be recaptured, IMO.

+Quote Post
Tara
post Mar 9 2010, 08:42 PM
Post #39
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

Lauren Bacall received a much-deserved honorary Oscar last night! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif)

+Quote Post
Sunbow
post Aug 9 2010, 08:49 PM
Post #40
Photographs Maniac

Group Icon

The first movie I saw of Marilyn was Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, and I was so disappointed ! I love hearing Ms Monroe's voice, nothing sweeter than that, but that was just too long, so when I saw HTMAM, that was just awesome ! I was very well surprised, and Marilyn is so funny and beautiful ! Lol "Are you kidding, you look better with them [glasses] !" That makes me smile so much ! I was like "yes, imagine to say that to Marilyn 50 years after she became a legend !" Seriously, Paul's gives almost all the funny scenes in this movie, and I think Bacall, and Monroe are just great ! I found that Grable was a bit erased by her two co-stars, and her -I find- boring part, but that was a great moment, and Marilyn is so cute ! I love this movie.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2019 - 11:24 PM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.