Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How To Marry A Millionaire
Share |
Bobby
post May 26 2008, 06:57 PM
Post #1
That smile...

Group Icon

Lauren Bacall, Betty Grable and Marilyn Monroe. Glamour by the bucketload in this comedy about three money-grabbing models out to catch themselves a millionaire. The stunning gowns and the wonderful one-liners are the most out-standing aspects of the film and all three actresses shine in their individual scenes.

I think this is a supremely girly film with a lot of girly humour, if you'll forgive the generalisation. There wasn't enough Marilyn for my liking but when she was on screen, she was perfect and of course, exceptionally beautiful. What did you think?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kowalczyk
post May 26 2008, 07:35 PM
Post #2
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

TBH, there's really nothing to say about acting talent in HTMAM. It's all comedy - and Marilyn plays it to perfection as only Marilyn can. I can imagine Pola's shortsightedness being irritating (to me) if Marilyn hadn't pulled it off so well, and she makes scenes that are kind of predictable (for example in the plane, reading the book upside down) funny in spite of this.

I like the rest of the film too, not as much as GPB but I like it. But for some reason, I really dislike Lauren Bacall's character and I can't tell why! Also I don't like the idea of the film, golddigging, (I'm a romantic I guess!) but I suppose that's how women got rich in the '50s and I look past it.

Also love Marilyn's red swimsuit! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbup1.gif)

+Quote Post
Tara
post May 26 2008, 07:48 PM
Post #3
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

It is a bit too long but I like this movie. It's glossy and shallow, but fun. Marilyn's role is quite limited but she makes it work for her. She delivers every line and gag with finesse, and her chemistry with Grable and Bacall is great. The best scene in the movie is with her and David Wayne on the airplane. It should be just corny but Marilyn makes her character adorable.

+Quote Post
marilynfanonline
post May 27 2008, 12:25 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

The whole look and style of this film is pure comic book. I guess this high styalised idea of 1950's glamour was what the picture was all about. I get the feeling that Fox were taking the image of Monroe to the next level with this film, even more so than in GPB.

I mean the attatched image of her from a dvd still really proves my point. This character was about as 2 dimensional as they come and although I feel Marilyn really does pull it off as best she can it does not change what is there to begin with.

These were the kind of roles she later resented and I'm sure when looking at the characters she were being given she would balk at the thought of playing almost a cartoon character as we all know she was so much more real and complex than that. To me it's almost an insult.

Nevertheless, as for the film in general, not enough Marilyn really. I know that they spread out the three girls and their stories and it's so clear that this is one of the film rom com chick flicks. It's very camp in it's 1950's over the top style. Still it remains a Monroe classic despite it not merely hinting at her ability as an actress but more of an 'act dumb, act sexy, look pretty' kinda role.
Attached File(s)
Attached File pola9.jpg ( 40.98K )Number of downloads: 78

+Quote Post
lorileime
post May 27 2008, 01:08 AM
Post #5
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Fluff and cotton candy. I love this movie, but wouldn't go out of my way to see it too many times. I think all three actors are great in their roles and I love Lauren Bacall in this movie. She's almost relentless in the way she squelches Mr. Brookman and time and again. Marilyn is wonderful, but she's really just a poodle in this film. There to be pretty and fluffy and do what she's told. She does it beautifully, though. As only she could, of course. Her best scene, I agree, is the plane scene. "Then why are you reading this book upside-down?" "I am no such thing!" "Not YOU, the book!" Very funny. I would love to see a remake of this film where the plot is reversed. It's the girls who are rich and the guys who want to marry them. Paul, btw, the picture you posted shows Marilyn using a cup and saucer by a very famous designer named Russel Wright. Later in life, I decided to collect and use this dinnerware pattern. It's my 'everyday' pattern. It comes in 10 colors. The color Marilyn is holding is called Black Chutney. I never realized it until years later when I was watching this movie again that it was used in the movie. It suddendly made me feel even closer to Marilyn. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/throb.gif)

This post has been edited by lorileime: May 27 2008, 01:11 AM

+Quote Post
magda24
post May 27 2008, 09:12 AM
Post #6
The light descends from nowhere

Group Icon

It's one of the movies I watch only for Marilyn. It cetainly has some old-fashioned charm and I love the costumes but I'm waiting impatiently every time she's off screen. I sometimes jump to the scenes without watching others when watching on dvd...But she's adorable.

+Quote Post
Katri^
post May 27 2008, 01:11 PM
Post #7
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(magda24 @ May 27 2008, 09:12 AM) *
It's one of the movies I watch only for Marilyn. It cetainly has some old-fashioned charm and I love the costumes but I'm waiting impatiently every time she's off screen. I sometimes jump to the scenes without watching others when watching on dvd...But she's adorable.

I agree with you : )

Marilyn was great as Pola, but I just don't like the character! And Lauren Bacall's character is just... awful, to be honest. : D And there should have been much more Marilyn in this film! The only thing that saves it is Betty Grable, who I also like. Her character is adorable.

There are several scenes or lines that are funny, but the complete movie is just too simple for me. : ) Too many obvious jokes, and this movie brings nothing new, I guess. MM's character is almost like Lorelei, but just blind version of her.

HTMAM is a nice film to watch, but nothing special to me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

+Quote Post
mmmMarilyn
post May 27 2008, 01:39 PM
Post #8
A Girl, but not THE Girl

Group Icon

I agree with everybody. She looks lovely, the costumes worn by all the ladies are extravagant fun to look at but the plot and lines are a little silly and too obvious. I haven't grabbed this off my shelf in a long time for the reasons everybody has said so far.

+Quote Post
marilynfanonline
post May 27 2008, 05:44 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

The only part I thought was genually funny was when Marilyn models the bathing suit at the fashion show and then trips up on the way to her seat ha ha (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbup1.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif)

+Quote Post
JanCollector
post Jun 1 2008, 06:58 PM
Post #10
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

I love this movie. It's like comfort food. Just a really pleasant experience that is reliably enjoyable.

One of Marilyn's best comedic roles, too. Excellent chemistry among the 3 leading ladies.

+Quote Post
abeautifulchild
post Jun 1 2008, 06:59 PM
Post #11
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(JanCollector @ Jun 1 2008, 06:58 PM) *
I love this movie. It's like comfort food. Just a really pleasant experience that is reliably enjoyable.

One of Marilyn's best comedic roles, too. Excellent chemistry among the 3 leading ladies.

Agreed. It is predictable of course, but SO funny. I just about die in the scene where Pola tries to walk out of the powder room in the restaurant without her glasses and bumps into the wall! Hilarious.

This post has been edited by abeautifulchild: Jun 1 2008, 07:00 PM

+Quote Post
JanCollector
post Jun 1 2008, 07:04 PM
Post #12
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

QUOTE(abeautifulchild @ Jun 1 2008, 06:59 PM) *
Agreed. It is predictable of course, but SO funny. I just about die in the scene where Pola tries to walk out of the powder room in the restaurant without her glasses and bumps into the wall! Hilarious.

Unlike other fans here, I don't find the film insulting to Marilyn. Like The Seven Year Itch, this was an excellent role for her, and really allowed her to demonstrate her comedic skills. I never saw any problems when her talent was on display. It's pictures like There's No Business Like Show Business that were insulting.

+Quote Post
Elsie Marina
post Jun 17 2008, 05:47 PM
Post #13
Ultimate fan

Group Icon

I have actually never really liked this film, I just found it a bit dull, Marilyn is cute of course and I like the little in jokes and nods to her other films and the other actresses films but overall I find it kind of meh.

+Quote Post
ziggy
post Jul 31 2008, 05:20 AM
Post #14
Mr. Queen Bee

Group Icon

I'll just paste my IMDB review here, since it pretty much sums up my feelings:

How to Marry a Millionaire is an average Fifties comedy revolving around three big movie stars. The lazy plot has been CinemaScoped up, and at times it drags painfully. Jean Negulesco was a craftsman, not a director with vision. Had the script been handed to Howard Hawks or Billy Wilder, it could have been turned into sarcastic societal commentary, comparable with Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, the Hawks/Monroe collaboration of the same year. As it stands, it's shallow, even dull.

Ultimately, this is a Lauren Bacall movie. She handles her scenes with sassy and straightforward ease. And Monroe could do no wrong back then. Her timing is impeccable.

There's some raunchy fun there, especially when Bacall and Monroe get together. Betty Grable, professional though she is, remains a one-note Jenny. She's got lengthy scenes where it's obvious that she's more about surface and technical capability than acting.

The story about women whose idea of a career is to hunt rich men is yesterday's news. But for fans of Bacall and, up to an extent, Monroe, it's a treat.

This post has been edited by ziggy: Jul 31 2008, 08:05 AM

+Quote Post
MissCaswell
post Jul 31 2008, 07:16 AM
Post #15
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

Sam, I completely agree with you. Lazy plot, Bacall movie and so on. Marilyn is absolutely adorable as Pola, and I wish it were more focus on her part. More closeups would have made this film better too, I think, as it might have allowed for a little depth in the characters' reactions and emotions. As it is, this film gives me a feeling of looking at a theatre stage from a very long distance, and the actors in this film were no stage actors.

+Quote Post
Vicoria Hoffman ...
post Jul 31 2008, 07:36 AM
Post #16
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

I have read that the idea of marrying for money is an out-dated plot but I dont agree totally. Its just that instead of trying to grab an oilman there are plenty of girls now where their only ambition in life is to grab a footballer (any one will do as long as he has money). If the film was remade now it would likely be called 'I want to be a footballers wife'.

+Quote Post
ziggy
post Jul 31 2008, 08:04 AM
Post #17
Mr. Queen Bee

Group Icon

QUOTE(MissCaswell @ Jul 31 2008, 07:16 AM) *
Sam, I completely agree with you. Lazy plot, Bacall movie and so on. Marilyn is absolutely adorable as Pola, and I wish it were more focus on her part. More closeups would have made this film better too, I think, as it might have allowed for a little depth in the characters' reactions and emotions. As it is, this film gives me a feeling of looking at a theatre stage from a very long distance, and the actors in this film were no stage actors.

Actually, Bacall is a trained stage actor, but overall I agree with you. The flick was, in part, crafted to establish CinemaScope, and they wanted to use the brand new wide-screen technique to full advantage - unfortunately, on the expense of cinematic vision.

+Quote Post
Alanma
post Aug 6 2008, 07:28 PM
Post #18
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

This story-line, with three main characters, needs to have one of them as a bit abrasive and less sympathetic, to point up the other two. If all three were like Marilyn or Grable the result would awfully saccharine.
To pull off the less sympathetic part needs experience, hence Bacall.

+Quote Post
Bobby
post Oct 14 2008, 07:41 PM
Post #19
That smile...

Group Icon

I watched this last night and was struck (once again) by the supreme acting of Ms Bacall, Ms Grable and of course, Ms Monroe. I thought they all put in perfect performances in their respective roles and - though I tried - I couldn't pick out any of the trio for special praise in terms of their acting displays in HTMAM.

By the way, has anybody else noticed that during the 'dream' sequences, when we see each of the ladies in bed dreaming, all three are practically wearing more make-up than they do in the daytime!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
dwane
post Oct 14 2008, 08:31 PM
Post #20
I'm trying so hard...

Group Icon

QUOTE(Elsie Marina @ Jun 17 2008, 05:47 PM) *
I have actually never really liked this film, I just found it a bit dull, Marilyn is cute of course and I like the little in jokes and nods to her other films and the other actresses films but overall I find it kind of meh.

HOW DARE YOU! haha just kidding (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

but in all seriousness, i like the movie and all but it's always seemed kind of dull to me. i've tried watching it and watching it but i just can't get into it, marilyn's role is so cool and she looks beutiful and she's so funny but the whole plot seems kind of boring.

overall i think this is one of marilyn's better films despite how much i don't really care for it.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2019 - 04:33 AM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.