Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Niagara
Share |
Bobby
post May 26 2008, 06:29 PM
Post #1
That smile...

Group Icon

Marilyn first technicolour picture was in 1952's Niagara (EDIT: Filmed in '52, released in January '53, sorry!). It's a Hitchcock-esque thriller about a woman (Marilyn) who plots to kill her husband, amidst the spectacular backdrop of Niagara Falls. Joseph Cotten played Marilyn's troubled partner but there is no doubt who the audience flocked to the theatres to see. Marilyn, looking typically sultry, shone in a rare dramatic role.

A great example of Marilyn's dramatic and artistic talents whilst still looking incredibly sexy in glorious technicolour. The famous pink dress was eye-catching to say the least but her acting was what really caught my attention. What did you think?

This post has been edited by Bobby: May 26 2008, 06:33 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tara
post May 26 2008, 06:37 PM
Post #2
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

The film is brilliantly photographed. It's the first truly iconic role for Marilyn, IMO. She looks incredible and plays a femme fatale very well. I would have liked to see her on screen more. The story didn't quite live up to my expectations, it tails off after a while. Joseph Cotten and Jean Peters are really good but Casey Adams lets it down for me. Perhaps his character should have been killed off instead of Marilyn!

+Quote Post
Bobby
post May 26 2008, 06:41 PM
Post #3
That smile...

Group Icon

QUOTE(Tara @ May 26 2008, 05:37 PM) *
Joseph Cotten and Jean Peters are really good but Casey Adams lets it down for me. Perhaps his character should have been killed off instead of Marilyn!

I thought exactly that too. He's not good but Marilyn is wonderful so I was able to look past Adams' wooden-ness.

+Quote Post
marilynfanonline
post May 27 2008, 12:02 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

I think Marilyn is great in the role and I can't believe Hitchcock did not use her in one of his films after seeing this. I feel that the film is marketed as though she were star main character when she deffinatley is not simply due to the lack of screen time.

The film was obviously a great thriller for the time and the cinematography is simply amazing. Marilyn looks amazing and shows her almost at the peak and most iconic part of her carrer, the Monroe image is displayed here perfectly!

I have often wondered what Marilyn thought about the film. Does she talk about it in any interviews etc?

+Quote Post
lorileime
post May 27 2008, 01:21 AM
Post #5
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

The only thing I would have changed about this film is that I wish Hitchcock would have directed it. Marilyn deserved much more screen time, too. She was sinister and lovely and seducing and treacherous. I loved her performance in this film. The end leaves a little to be desired. It needed more suspense and more of an evil tone. Overall, though it's one of favorites and showcases Marilyn so well. She's absoluted brethtakingly stunning in the record scene. She's everything on film there that she is in my own imagination!

+Quote Post
magda24
post May 27 2008, 09:20 AM
Post #6
The light descends from nowhere

Group Icon

A comparison between Niagara and Vertigo http://joelgunz-hitchcock.blogspot.com/200...iagara-are.html
I once read that Hitchock said that Marilyn had been too sexy for his movies.
As for the Niagara, it's a first Marilyn movie I saw on a big screen (there were making Marilyn movies week in cinema) and I was only 8. It made a huger impression on me. Marilyn is incredibly beautiful, bitchy, slutty and mean- she was such a good actress even before the Strasbergs. It's a pity she never got a part like this ever again.

This post has been edited by magda24: May 27 2008, 09:34 AM

+Quote Post
Tara
post May 27 2008, 09:29 AM
Post #7
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

QUOTE(magda24 @ May 27 2008, 09:20 AM) *
A comparison between Niagara and Vertigo http://joelgunz-hitchcock.blogspot.com/200...iagara-are.html
I once read that Hotchock said that Marilyn had been too sexy for his movies.
As for the Niagara, it's a first Marilyn movie I saw on a big screen (there were making Marilyn movies week in cinema) and I was only 8. It made a huger impression on me. Marilyn is incredibly beautiful, bitchy, slutty and mean- she was such a good actress even before the Strasbergs. It's a pity she never got a part like this ever again.

Hitchcock preferred actresses like Grace Kelly who were 'ice maidens'. The comparison between Niagara and Vertigo is interesting. Every time I watch Vertigo, I think Marilyn would be so wonderful in it!

+Quote Post
Bobby
post May 27 2008, 12:16 PM
Post #8
That smile...

Group Icon

It sure is interesting. For some reason I hadn't really considered Marilyn acting in one of Hitchcock's movies but now you guys mention it, yeah I think she might have been awesome, with this film as evidence. Rose Loomis is not quite Nell, nor is she Lorelei or Sugar and that's what I like about Niagara; Marilyn's role in it is different from any other she played.

And that 'Kiss' record scene...possibly the sexiest we ever saw from MM.

+Quote Post
JanCollector
post Jun 1 2008, 06:56 PM
Post #9
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

Marilyn singing Kiss is one of the all-time sexiest scenes in the cinema.

+Quote Post
Elsie Marina
post Jun 17 2008, 05:45 PM
Post #10
Ultimate fan

Group Icon

I think this is a really good Marilyn film, she gives a great dramatic performance and looks amazing in this!

+Quote Post
Bobby
post Jun 17 2008, 08:56 PM
Post #11
That smile...

Group Icon

Watching this again recently, I was taken aback by just how good Marilyn's acting is. Seriously, watch Niagara again closely and she plays every scene perfectly. There's no obvious signs of the forced pronunciation techniques that we see in Show Business and GPB, just genuine acting talent. Her delivery of her lines is exquisite and also, in my opinion at least, she was at her sexiest in this film.

+Quote Post
abeautifulchild
post Jul 21 2008, 01:58 AM
Post #12
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(Bobby @ Jun 17 2008, 08:56 PM) *
Watching this again recently, I was taken aback by just how good Marilyn's acting is. Seriously, watch Niagara again closely and she plays every scene perfectly. There's no obvious signs of the forced pronunciation techniques that we see in Show Business and GPB, just genuine acting talent. Her delivery of her lines is exquisite and also, in my opinion at least, she was at her sexiest in this film.

I whole-heartedly agree, Bobby. I watched this for only the third time today- It has been awhile since I last saw it, over five months at least, and I was amazed at how flawless Marilyn was in this film. She was so convincing! I would go so far as to say that Marilyn's acting in this movie even surpasses her other early dramatic performance in Don't Bother to Knock. Right from the beginning she was fantastic- that scene where it looks like she's just been with a lover...
And then Rose's performance of the genuinely concerned wife...
Marilyn's acting in this was always razor sharp, her reactions, her tone of voice, her body movements, her walk for that matter! ...that's what makes this performance so great.
I agree that she was at her sexiest in Niagara. Maybe that was because of what the role required, or maybe it was because Marilyn was in her element?
Tony, this should have been a Hitchcock film!
Marilyn wasn't given enough screen time at all! It might as well have just said, "starring Jean Peters."
I also think there should have been more scenes with Rose and her lover.
This movie could have been such a hit with a few minor improvements.

This post has been edited by abeautifulchild: Jul 21 2008, 01:58 AM

+Quote Post
mmmMarilyn
post Jul 21 2008, 02:20 PM
Post #13
A Girl, but not THE Girl

Group Icon

QUOTE(abeautifulchild @ Jul 20 2008, 08:58 PM) *

I agree with that--the two of them were gorgeous together when they were just on the PHONE!
Then when they're spotted at the falls....
It would have been interesting and definitely more scandalous if we saw more interaction between the two of them.

+Quote Post
Bobby
post Jul 21 2008, 04:40 PM
Post #14
That smile...

Group Icon

QUOTE(abeautifulchild @ Jul 21 2008, 02:58 AM) *
I whole-heartedly agree, Bobby. I watched this for only the third time today- It has been awhile since I last saw it, over five months at least, and I was amazed at how flawless Marilyn was in this film. She was so convincing! I would go so far as to say that Marilyn's acting in this movie even surpasses her other early dramatic performance in Don't Bother to Knock. Right from the beginning she was fantastic- that scene where it looks like she's just been with a lover...
And then Rose's performance of the genuinely concerned wife...
Marilyn's acting in this was always razor sharp, her reactions, her tone of voice, her body movements, her walk for that matter! ...that's what makes this performance so great.
I agree that she was at her sexiest in Niagara. Maybe that was because of what the role required, or maybe it was because Marilyn was in her element?
Tony, this should have been a Hitchcock film!
Marilyn wasn't given enough screen time at all! It might as well have just said, "starring Jean Peters."
This movie could have been such a hit with a few minor improvements.

Absolutely. I totally agree, even about DBTK. I particularly agree with the last line of the above quote. You're right, it's a shame they didn't use her more by adding further scenes with Marilyn in them. The scene with Rose and her lover at the Falls could have at least included dialogue, allow us to see them planning things a little more. And perhaps a scene could have been shot showing Rose escaping from the hospital ?

But when our girl was on screen, wow. It's difficult to compare 'sexy' scenes from today's films with those of the Fifties but when Marilyn comes out of her cabin in that pink dress; that's surely about as sexy as it gets! Her outfit, her attitude, her presence, her make-up, her strut - it all screams sex appeal and you can't take your eyes off her. In reponse to your interesting question Alex, I'd say it was half and half; half was Marilyn's own imagination and half was her awareness that the actress is supposed to be alluring.

By the way, two things I noticed when watching Niagara last week. Firstly, I realised Mrs Kettering (the Shredded Wheat guy's wife) was also Bunny's mother in DBTK. Secondly, that scene when Ray is taking a photo of Polly in the sunshine is weird. I thought it strange, the way he insisted that she pose so precisely, that she stick her chest out. To me, it seemed to suggest some rather unfavourable - though unimportant - aspects to their relationship. I'm probably reading way too much into it but I mean, why is that bit in the film then?...

This post has been edited by Bobby: Jul 21 2008, 05:02 PM

+Quote Post
dwane
post Jul 21 2008, 04:44 PM
Post #15
I'm trying so hard...

Group Icon

i love this movie but marilyn should have definately been in it more. i agree about the more scenes with her lover but it would have probably been too scandalous haha for the times at least.

+Quote Post
MissCaswell
post Jul 21 2008, 05:01 PM
Post #16
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

I love Marilyn in the scene where she spots her lover in the souvenir shop. She isn't uttering a word, hardly even moving, but it's so clear that she wants him, it's like she's undressing him with her eyes! To me that scene is a lot more erotic than for example the first one in the bed, and it's also one of those that really proves her as an actress. There's nothing childish or girly about Rose, she just knows what she wants. I like that.

+Quote Post
mmmMarilyn
post Jul 21 2008, 11:55 PM
Post #17
A Girl, but not THE Girl

Group Icon

QUOTE(Bobby @ Jul 21 2008, 11:40 AM) *
By the way, two things I noticed when watching Niagara last week. Firstly, I realised Mrs Kettering (the Shredded Wheat guy's wife) was also Bunny's mother in DBTK. Secondly, that scene when Ray is taking a photo of Polly in the sunshine is weird. I thought it strange, the way he insisted that she pose so precisely, that she stick her chest out. To me, it seemed to suggest some rather unfavourable - though unimportant - aspects to their relationship. I'm probably reading way too much into it but I mean, why is that bit in the film then?...

I've wondered that too Bobby, but I always just assumed that now that he's had a glimpse of a truly foxy lady (Rose!) that he's just anxious to see his wife be a little more...buxom and glamorous? And maybe that's what the whole "come on, profile!" stick-out-the-chest- bit is, but I don't know. He was a goober, wasn't he?

+Quote Post
abeautifulchild
post Jul 22 2008, 09:33 AM
Post #18
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(mmmMarilyn @ Jul 21 2008, 11:55 PM) *
I've wondered that too Bobby, but I always just assumed that now that he's had a glimpse of a truly foxy lady (Rose!) that he's just anxious to see his wife be a little more...buxom and glamorous? And maybe that's what the whole "come on, profile!" stick-out-the-chest- bit is, but I don't know. He was a goober, wasn't he?

I thought the same thing, Coco.

Everything Casey Adams said was awkward, and there were too many scenes with him & Jean Peters as a couple that seemed pointless.
This movie is rather boring considering all the plotting, sex, and murder that was supposed to be part of the storyline.

QUOTE(MissCaswell @ Jul 21 2008, 05:01 PM) *
I love Marilyn in the scene where she spots her lover in the souvenir shop. She isn't uttering a word, hardly even moving, but it's so clear that she wants him, it's like she's undressing him with her eyes! To me that scene is a lot more erotic than for example the first one in the bed, and it's also one of those that really proves her as an actress. There's nothing childish or girly about Rose, she just knows what she wants. I like that.

Oh yes! I agree! One of my favorite scenes too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbup1.gif)

I think perhaps maybe the movie's opening scene should have been a rendevous between Marilyn & her lover instead of Marilyn dreamily thinking of him in bed and then Joseph Cotten coming upon Marilyn feigning sleep. Because you don't know what she's thinking of until later anyway...The first scene should have been Marilyn waking up from a night spent with her lover and then her leaving him- but there should be no hint that he's her lover and not her husband/boyfriend- then her coming back home to Joseph Cotten and somehow we would be let know that HE is surprisingly her husband. That would have spiked everyone's interest right away and would have cleared things up, plus it would give a chance to show how differently Rose acts with the two men and thus how she feels about both of them...

This post has been edited by abeautifulchild: Jul 22 2008, 09:44 AM

+Quote Post
Vicoria Hoffman ...
post Jul 22 2008, 09:22 PM
Post #19
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

I dont even think you were allowed to show married couples 'together' then let alone unmarried people! That sounds like a great idea but the censors would havelikely never passed it.

+Quote Post
mmmMarilyn
post Oct 15 2008, 12:37 AM
Post #20
A Girl, but not THE Girl

Group Icon

Just watched this last Friday and LOVED it obviously, and my one (guy) friend came in halfway through and seriously got so into it and wound up really loving it and being SO MAD that MM is killed in the end, we didn't even bother watching the rest of the film and for the rest of OUR evening he kept saying I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT STUPID LOOMIS GUY! haha, she is SO spectacularly gorgeous and captivating in this film, I forgot how much I loved it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

EDIT: about five days later I realize my post makes it sound like I've never seen it--haha, I've seen it about a billion times so don't worry--but my friend hadn't! haha.

This post has been edited by mmmMarilyn: Oct 16 2008, 05:43 PM

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th August 2019 - 03:19 PM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.