Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest: please Log In.
Everlasting Star is now a private community which no longer accepts new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :
5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Seven Year Itch
Share |
Scottish Sugar
post Sep 21 2013, 12:13 PM
Post #81
Scotland's Marilyn Fanatic!

Group Icon

QUOTE(CYRILPARIS @ Aug 28 2013, 09:10 PM) *
my scans from Eliott Erwitt Kolor new book, in not big size cause thieves of photos...

Absolutely amazing!! Thankyou!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lorileime
post Jun 7 2014, 12:39 PM
Post #82
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Has anyone ever read the original play by George Axelrod for this movie? I just finished reading it and it is very different from the movie. The girl's commercial is for Twill clothes washing detergent. There are no workplace scenes, only fantasy scenes, for Richard. The janitor is never seen, only talked about. But the biggest difference is that there is no implication that the two of them slept together, like in the movie. In the original play, THEY REALLY DO SLEEP TOGETHER. And it's her idea, not his. And they do it because it would be fun, not because there's no air conditioning upstairs and she's suffering in the heat (which is why she wants to stay downstairs in the movie). There is also a lot of cursing by Richard, which is not in the movie. And there is one fantasy scene that I wish they would have put in the movie where, the girl, after having slept with Richard, tells Richard that she is in love with him and that they should tell Helen together that she and Richard are now together. A lot of the individual lines that Marilyn says are the same. But most of the really funny stuff is added for the movie, like Richard falling on the skate, and the janitor and the dog story. I just was wondering if anyone else had read it and how they felt about it. To me it was much more 'scandalous' for the 50's as it was written, and much more sugarcoated for the movie. There isn't even a scene where they go to the movies and then her skirt blows up. None of that. In the original, she goes to the movies alone.

+Quote Post
audreyfan1
post Jun 7 2014, 08:18 PM
Post #83
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

^I have a copy of Axelrod's original play, but I haven't read it yet. I know that because of Hays Code censorship the movie had to be much less racy than the play. A lot of things in the play had to be changed for the movie, like one of the principles of the censorship code was that adultery must not be justified or presented attractively, which is why if they had slept together in the movie it would've had to have had horrible "end-of-the-world" consequences for Richard and the Girl. And in the Hays Code, it says that any character who commits a crime, either a crime against law or against morality, must be punished in the end; that such characters can't have a happy ending. And it says that "sex perversion" (which I think refers to homosexuality) cannot be shown or referenced in a film, which is why Richard can't actually say that the "interior decorators" who live together in the building are gay, he can only kinda sort of imply that they might be gay. And the Hays Code also says that the audience can't be made to feel sympathy for immorality, which is why in the movie Richard and The Girl don't actually commit these "crimes against morality", Richard only thinks about it, fantasizes about it, and on top of that, he always ends up feeling so guilty for even thinking about it, but he stays a moral character by not giving in to his desires and staying faithful to his wife, so he can have a happy ending and the audience can sympathize with him in the end.

I have heard or read somewhere that Billy Wilder said that he wished he could've made TSYI without having to incorporate all the censorship rules and if he could've gone back in time and re-made it the way he originally wanted to make it, he would have.

This post has been edited by audreyfan1: Jun 8 2014, 03:16 AM

+Quote Post
lorileime
post Jun 7 2014, 11:31 PM
Post #84
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I didn't even think about the Hays Code. Thanks for reminding me. It's too bad that they couldn't have done it the way it was written. In the original, the fact that they slept together is treated as nonchalantly as having a cup of coffee. As if to say, it happens all the time and that's just the way it is. It probably would have accelerated the sexual revolution of the 60's, especially if Marilyn would have been able to be the accelerant.

+Quote Post
Celia
post Jun 10 2014, 08:40 PM
Post #85
Celia

Group Icon

Anita Loose´s novel was first published in 1925. Obviously those were better, freer times!
Censorship always comes from very frustrated, hypocrital people. If only we could know what this Hayes did in his personal life! We would surely be astound

This post has been edited by Celia: Jun 10 2014, 08:41 PM

+Quote Post
JC 96816
post Jun 15 2015, 08:58 PM
Post #86
Ultimate fan

Group Icon

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/marilynbybrandon_190.gif) 1955 12 55 Screen Stories Here's Hollywood Column - MM is not on the cover. There is nothing else in the table of contents. I found this on Ebay today...

Attached File(s)
Attached File 1954_12_54_Screen_Stories_nc_Here_s_Hollywood_lg_crop.jpg ( 892.38K )Number of downloads: 52

+Quote Post
Mezzo
post Jan 19 2017, 01:25 PM
Post #87
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Maybe this has already been posted about newly discovered video from the subway scene - from 1/13/17:
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/marilyn-...lip-1201960327/

From the New York Times website:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/13/nyregion...type=collection

And some video from youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIhlTl0_eGA

This post has been edited by Mezzo: Jan 19 2017, 01:31 PM

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2017 - 08:05 PM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.